• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Band Question

Started by Gray lizard, October 22, 2014, 09:52:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

Has anyone else noticed that the bands are now playing during play.  I thought they had to stop playing by the snap of the ball.

mr.b@sc

Quote from: Gray lizard on October 22, 2014, 09:52:16 am
Has anyone else noticed that the bands are now playing during play.  I thought they had to stop playing by the snap of the ball.
not sure but i think they are not supposed to play while either team is inside the 20...

Jack1990

Quote from: mr.b@sc on October 22, 2014, 10:00:04 am
Quote from: Gray lizard on October 22, 2014, 09:52:16 am
not sure but i think they are not supposed to play while either team is inside the 20...
That's the guidance Mr. B... Here's the wording from the AAA handbook.

6. (c) Bands are not to be used to disrupt an opponent's game. At football games bands and any
component thereof (e.g. drums), shall not play when the opposing team is inside the opponent's
twenty-yard line moving toward or away from their own goal.

whippersnapper

Depends on the band director and football coach. When I was in school we would lower our volume if we were in the huddle. But as soon as it was snapped we play normal. When on defense I made it my goal to be as loud as possible to mess the other team up. False start, bad snap etc.

dawginar

Gray you one trying to keep Scarlet Regimen from Joe T and Dover? They showing up, can have some control or LET EM GO.......I say let'em  do what they do. Hooten follows the book, sad schools requesting extra groups from coming.  Should ask Coach Price not to bring the Lizards.Problem solved.

WPWells

Dardanelle has a VERY impressive band

cuckoobird

phdefense

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 22, 2014, 10:53:04 am
The SR is a great example of doing band the "right way"

WPWells

I was in band in high school, so I know a little bit what to look for. Last night I went to the Region VIII marching assessment and was very impressed with all bands I saw except for one. Won't mention who that one was

SUGARTOWN

I found it strange that the Riverview band stood on the track in front of the home bleachers last Friday night and played for almost the entire 3rd qtr.

I guess no one complained, but they sure didn't "tone it down" when the Ricebirds had the ball.

Gray lizard

Quote from: dawginar on October 22, 2014, 10:36:04 am
Gray you one trying to keep Scarlet Regimen from Joe T and Dover? They showing up, can have some control or LET EM GO.......I say let'em  do what they do. Hooten follows the book, sad schools requesting extra groups from coming.  Should ask Coach Price not to bring the Lizards.Problem solved.
No my son was in the band at Dardanelle.  He is still very active with the band.  I texted him and Clay said no school the Friday they play Dover and band will not go to the game.
That is a bummer but they can not make the kids attend if no school that day.  You know some would not show and mess their program so he has no choice. A band with 134 people make a lot of noise.

DogsWin7

Quote from: phdefense on October 22, 2014, 10:58:17 am
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 22, 2014, 10:53:04 am
The SR is a great example of doing band the "right way"
They have a Awesome band....and I was impressed with Malvern's band as well this year!  Love Band Halftime Shows!  Southside and Greenwood's band did great this year too. 

retiredplayer10

So is coach smith the reason dardnelle wont have a band at dover or is it there district? Dover dnt have room for 134 band students and spectators in the visito stands

cuckoobird

Quote from: Gray lizard on October 22, 2014, 11:44:19 am
Quote from: dawginar on October 22, 2014, 10:36:04 am
No my son was in the band at Dardanelle.  He is still very active with the band.  I texted him and Clay said no school the Friday they play Dover and band will not go to the game.
That is a bummer but they can not make the kids attend if no school that day.  You know some would not show and mess their program so he has no choice. A band with 134 people make a lot of noise.
so, does this mean that some of the football players may miss as well?

Gray lizard

[[/quote]so, does this mean that some of the football players may miss as well?
[/quote]

You know that is not the same thing. Band and football are two different things.  Band director can not force students to attend if no school that day.  I realize it should be the same but it is just not.

phdefense

October 22, 2014, 01:18:54 pm #15 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:52:12 pm by phdefense

Quote from: Gray lizard on October 22, 2014, 01:06:55 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on October 22, 2014, 12:02:05 pm

You know that is not the same thing. Band and football are two different things.  Band director can not force students to attend if no school that day.  I realize it should be the same but it is just not.
Sure they can. Make it worth a grade and if they do not show they get a 0. Stuttgart does this including the Saturday contests.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Gray lizard on October 22, 2014, 01:06:55 pm
[
[/quote]

[/quote]aren't band competitions on the weekend? Do they not show up then?

Jack1990

I remember going to many events on Saturdays and days when school was out. 

Lions84

They got rules about Band  but I never seen these rules enforced.  We always ramped it up when I was playing FB in HS.   The Clarendon Band would be so loud the other team usually got a IP or False  Start.  The school my Daughter attends got hushed 2 years ago in a game by the officials but that the only time I seen it.

mr.b@sc

Quote from: Lions84 on October 22, 2014, 01:49:38 pm
They got rules about Band  but I never seen these rules enforced.  We always ramped it up when I was playing FB in HS.   The Clarendon Band would be so loud the other team usually got a IP or False  Start.  The school my Daughter attends got hushed 2 years ago in a game by the officials but that the only time I seen it.
The rule needs to be changed so the refs can enforce it instead of the school administration...imo.. i have never seen a school admin enforce the band rules..

Jack1990

Quote from: mr.b@sc on October 22, 2014, 01:52:58 pm
The rule needs to be changed so the refs can enforce it instead of the school administration...imo.. i have never seen a school admin enforce the band rules..
And they definitely won't enforce it against their own band.

phdefense

October 22, 2014, 01:54:22 pm #21 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:56:29 pm by phdefense
They officials can throw a flag if the band is playing when the opponent is inside the 20. Usually they do it after a warning kind of like a sideline penalty.

phdefense

Quote from: Jack1990 on October 22, 2014, 01:54:04 pm
And they definitely won't enforce it against their own band.
Usually if the band is being loud when their team has the ball it is quickly followed by a dialogue from the coaches in sailorian.

mr.b@sc

Quote from: phdefense on October 22, 2014, 01:54:22 pm
They officials can throw a flag if the band is playing when the opponent is inside the 20. Usually they do if after a warning kind of like a sideline penalty.
i personally have never seen an official throw a flag against a band. I have not read the rule in a couple of years but i know it used to read that it was up to the school admin to enforce the rule not the officials.. the rule may have changed since i read it..

Jack1990

Quote from: mr.b@sc on October 22, 2014, 01:57:30 pm
They officials can throw a flag if the band is playing when the opponent is inside the 20. Usually they do if after a warning kind of like a sideline penalty.
i personally have never seen an official throw a flag against a band. I have not read the rule in a couple of years but i know it used to read that it was up to the school admin to enforce the rule not the officials.. the rule may have changed since i read it..
I thought I remember this coming up on the Officials board in the past and they said the same thing.  It was up to school administration to enforce it.

whippersnapper

Pretty sure in 2010 when Mena went to Dumas this came up. Mena was driving inside the 20 then on 4th down lined up to kick the field goal. Get a false start and Mena coaches called down to the HC to let him know the Dumas band was playing at the time. Well the penalty was still enforced. Mena makes the field goal that would turn out to be the difference in the game. The refs I am pretty sure talked to both coaches and told them to get an administrator to make sure it was enforced.

taclark1996

I always like seeing all the football players that play in the band at halftime, two of the starting offensive lineman for Clinton play the tubas in the band and both are really good.

WPWells

One of the Charleston players not only goes and plays his trombone in the halftime show, but he has a solo

Rulesman

They officials can throw a flag if the band is playing when the opponent is inside the 20.
No, they cannot.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rulesman on October 24, 2014, 12:46:17 pm
They officials can throw a flag if the band is playing when the opponent is inside the 20.
No, they cannot.

odd...it's been a long time ago, But Hector had one thrown on them for unsportsmanlike conduct because they were playing while the other team had the ball....Guess I can finally chalk that one up to home cooking..

WPWells

Band interference I thought became a rule about 6 years ago. First time is a warning second time is a flag

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 24, 2014, 12:50:14 pm
Band interference I thought became a rule about 6 years ago. First time is a warning second time is a flag

Hector had it called back in 07 or 08 at Cutter Morning Star, no warning or anyting just a 15 yard penalty. Our band had 20 people in it, don't think they were loud enough to be interfering with anything..

True Fan

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 24, 2014, 12:50:14 pm

Link?

phdefense

Quote from: Rulesman on October 24, 2014, 12:46:17 pm
No, they cannot.
Then crank it up and tell the white hat to shut his pie hole.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas