• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 All-State

Started by Sweet, May 24, 2016, 01:07:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

500 hitter

All state selections are a mystery. Should be called all players on the team that the coach speaks up. Many girls left off that are really good. No different than any other year.

Sweet

Quote from: 500 hitter on May 24, 2016, 05:11:40 pm
All state selections are a mystery. Should be called all players on the team that the coach speaks up. Many girls left off that are really good. No different than any other year.

Interesting perspective. I know about 20 or so of the girls that made it. All very good players. Only a handful of teams had more than 1 or 2.

Somebody that you were expecting to make it didn't?

1-Adam-12

Four straight years for both Ross and McClung.  First time it's happened for any Booneville athlete.

McClung has been named all-state seven times (did it all three years in volleyball too).  Super impressive.

jacosportsfreak

Quote from: Sweet on May 24, 2016, 09:15:41 pm
Interesting perspective. I know about 20 or so of the girls that made it. All very good players. Only a handful of teams had more than 1 or 2.

Somebody that you were expecting to make it didn't?

There is some merit to what 500 Hitter is saying.  There are players that don't make it that are better than several who do.  It's a collection of most teams, but certainly not the team that you would put together to field the best possible team from AR.

500 hitter

LowerAR

Sorry, but that just sounds like sour grapes. If you want to be credible, then be specific. I don't like the way it is chosen, but that doesn't mean that the girls who are selected deserve to be down graded. Most who are on the list are good players. I know that our team only got 1 selection, but that is because they lost the first game in state. Teams that win and get farther usually get more selections. Sorry if that hurts feelings, but that seems right though. Coaches make the selections, if a team has only a few slots and he gets to make the call, so who are you going to blame? The whole system is flawed with coaches making the calls and no one who cares looking out for the girls. If your coach is good then the players on your team will get what they deserve; if not then your  :o                   

Bwana

Quote from: jacosportsfreak on May 25, 2016, 07:25:15 am
  There is some merit to what 500 Hitter is saying.  There are players that don't make it that are better than several who do.  It's a collection of most teams, but certainly not the team that you would put together to field the best possible team from AR.
Exactly.. You expect All State selections to be the best in the State.. IMO what throws everything off is when you have a team from a weak conference that gets blown out in the first round of State playoffs getting 3 players selected as All State which is equal to the combined number of players off the teams that played for the State Championship.. It causes the whole process to lose credibility..

baller72

May 25, 2016, 12:57:32 pm #8 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:59:53 pm by baller72
Quote from: LowerAR on May 25, 2016, 09:46:12 am
Sorry, but that just sounds like sour grapes. If you want to be credible, then be specific. I don't like the way it is chosen, but that doesn't mean that the girls who are selected deserve to be down graded. Most who are on the list are good players. I know that our team only got 1 selection, but that is because they lost the first game in state. Teams that win and get farther usually get more selections. Sorry if that hurts feelings, but that seems right though. Coaches make the selections, if a team has only a few slots and he gets to make the call, so who are you going to blame? The whole system is flawed with coaches making the calls and no one who cares looking out for the girls. If your coach is good then the players on your team will get what they deserve; if not then your  :o                   
This isn't how All State players are chosen. They're voted on before the State Tournaments begin. Many people confuse All State with the All State Tournament Team, which is selected AT the State Tournament

jacosportsfreak

Just exactly what is the process for All State selection?

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: jacosportsfreak on May 25, 2016, 01:33:28 pm

Just exactly what is the process for All State selection?

Coaches nominate their own players at the conference meeting prior to regional.   They vote among the coaches.   

Dagger

Quote from: jacosportsfreak on May 25, 2016, 07:25:15 am

Freak,

Again you are spot on.

Strong conferences are under-represented, weaker ones are over-represented. Seniors seem to get the benefit of the doubt, freshmen have to be "All World" to be considered. For specifics, I thought more from BK and the Sheridan pitcher would be on the list.

But what else do we have to talk about this time of year.

jacosportsfreak

You could probably take the remainder of the BK girls and beat most teams formed from the ones that did make it.

Dagger

off topic a bit, does anyone have information on the Soph/Jr game, I can never find anything about that event.

Sweet

Quote from: jacosportsfreak on May 25, 2016, 04:06:14 pm

You could probably take the remainder of the BK girls and beat most teams formed from the ones that did make it.

You're so full of ........

LowerAR

You are right Baller 72 in that they are made before the State Tourney; they say in a coaches meeting. So then how do they get picked? That question is the hundred thousand dollar question. In 6A, which is the only one I know enough to talk about, Benton and Sheridan have 3 selections, and while they were tops, that was after State was over. Greenwood had only 2 and that was them as the #1 seed. El Dorado as the #3 seed behind Benton and Sheridan got only 1 and they beat Sheridan during the season. Pine Bluff who was the 6 seed from the same conference got 1 and I believe they only beat Parkview through the season, yet they did win a game in State. Ya'll brought this up, so if you have the info, lets do show and tell. I will not talk about the girls that made it, but I did say the system is flawed. Tell me how this all happened.         

mustanglion73

Quote from: LowerAR on May 26, 2016, 10:55:48 am
You are right Baller 72 in that they are made before the State Tourney; they say in a coaches meeting. So then how do they get picked? That question is the hundred thousand dollar question. In 6A, which is the only one I know enough to talk about, Benton and Sheridan have 3 selections, and while they were tops, that was after State was over. Greenwood had only 2 and that was them as the #1 seed. El Dorado as the #3 seed behind Benton and Sheridan got only 1 and they beat Sheridan during the season. Pine Bluff who was the 6 seed from the same conference got 1 and I believe they only beat Parkview through the season, yet they did win a game in State. Ya'll brought this up, so if you have the info, lets do show and tell. I will not talk about the girls that made it, but I did say the system is flawed. Tell me how this all happened.         

Very flawed yes.  There is no way those coaches saw enough of those girls to make that decision.  Some very deserving ladies on that list though!

New Dawg

Quote from: Sweet on May 25, 2016, 06:30:37 pm

You're so full of ........

?????

Just curious the rest of that statement was meant to imply what? I am not bold enough to think that the seven returning players would beat the others on the list but it would be fun to see them play.

Runfastturnleft

Give them all a medal.  Same old argument each year.   All deserving,  some more than others.   Some get left out.   

Let the fans vote.  Because the MLB all star system is a great model.   

LowerAR

I think they should do away with the whole process. My DD made it this year, but I don't see how anyone can see enough games to see who is deserving and who is not. Some are very apparent, but then you have to get down to that line. I know that it is a highlight for many, but is a heartbreak for others. So much is based on stats, then comes the reasoning of why those stats are useless. Why can't we just let the girls play for their school and be happy. Some are better than others, but it is who gets to say that that causes the most problems.     

NEASPORTSFAN

The only way to fix this in my opinion is let the AAA decide, or have a committee. Someone unbiased. Of course,  a coach is obviously going to vote for his kid, but then you have coaches that buddy up with one another and vote for each others kids no matter who really deserves it. The same thing is going to happen with these new combined conferences. How are you going to vote for district seeding when you haven't even seen them play? We are about to start deciding the playoffs based on the good old boy system. The whole thing stinks.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: phstiger on May 27, 2016, 01:34:49 pm
The only way to fix this in my opinion is let the AAA decide, or have a committee. Someone unbiased. Of course,  a coach is obviously going to vote for his kid, but then you have coaches that buddy up with one another and vote for each others kids no matter who really deserves it. The same thing is going to happen with these new combined conferences. How are you going to vote for district seeding when you haven't even seen them play? We are about to start deciding the playoffs based on the good old boy system. The whole thing stinks.

Jumping to another topic, but I'll bite on it.  I am under the impression that you will in fact play all your "postseason" foes at least once during the season.  Even if they aren't in your combined district.

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: LowerAR on May 27, 2016, 10:35:27 am
I think they should do away with the whole process. My DD made it this year, but I don't see how anyone can see enough games to see who is deserving and who is not. Some are very apparent, but then you have to get down to that line. I know that it is a highlight for many, but is a heartbreak for others. So much is based on stats, then comes the reasoning of why those stats are useless. Why can't we just let the girls play for their school and be happy. Some are better than others, but it is who gets to say that that causes the most problems.   

So coaches aren't qualified to say which player is better?   That's pretty interesting..... Please explain

Runfastturnleft

Quote from: phstiger on May 27, 2016, 01:34:49 pm

The AAA does not have the manpower to make these calls.   Your talking alot of softball for a piece of paper and a plaque your school pays for (recognition as well).   

LowerAR

Quote from: Runfastturnleft on May 27, 2016, 01:50:12 pm
So coaches aren't qualified to say which player is better?   That's pretty interesting..... Please explain
That's not what I said, but I believe they can't be trusted. If they pay attention at all then they should know who is good enough for All Conference, but do they see all the teams in the State? Who does? As phstiger stated it becomes a popularity contest. There is no one to make this call. As you say the AAA can't. That is why I said it needs to be shut down. If coaches are going to get to make it, then they need to be reviewed and policed. I know what your going to say, but look to the sentence above. My belief is that if something can't be done right, then don't do it at all.   

Runfastturnleft

So if they changed the name to the "best-of-the-best team"  and divided it by conferences,  then you would be okay with it?   Because that's all the team is... The voted best in your individual conference put together into one list  by classification.   

You don't vote on the whole state.  Your comment seems to imply that you think they vote on the whole state.   Correct me if I am wrong.   

gamecocks8584

Each conference meets before the state tournament. Coaches nominate players off there teams usually as many as they want and the coaches vote for who gets All State. Before the vote each coaches explains why each player deserves the honor. But each conference is only allowed so many selections. There are many young ladies that deserve the honor but never get it. There are some that get it in conferences that don't deserve it. But it is an honor for the ones that get selected so don't knock them because they got chosen.

LowerAR

Their you go, and no I don't think a name change will help. I just think that the whole mess is to political. It is a big honor to be selected and a kick in the teeth if your not. An outside committee would be the only way to make it fair, and of coarse that is not going to happen for obvious reasons. I'm not going to try to change your mind as to whether you think that it is an awesome system or not, but I will point out the flaws I see. I just don't see why it can't be about the game, teams and the girls. Softball is an awesome game, played by young women who hopefully play for their team and team mates with passion. When coaches (other than their part on the field) and the powers that be get involved, well it just gets stinky. To the girls who made it congratulations, and to those who didn't; to bad. Your just not good enough; maybe you should become a cheerleader.           

baseball2012

Can someone provide a working link to the 2016 all state softball team?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas