• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lets get top 10 boys and girls started

Started by ballmember, August 07, 2014, 09:40:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshiner

Guys if you'll notice I haven't made an anti Bay post in a long time.  Gotta give your fans credit.  The majority of the threads on the Class A board in some way mention Bay.  You have very passionate, and proud fans.
I can sum it up for you real easy and I'll let it go, for now.
There's been some discussions allowed, or accusations, on another board about recruiting at Harber. Same discussion has taken place here about Bay, but got shut down quickly. I'm ok with that.  More folks than just ole Moonshiner have brought this up. It appears that you don't do things on the up and up.  You win and thump your chest, lose and thump your chest.  I don't know a single person at Concord but I respect that program. I don't respect Bays but maybe I will one day.

Silky Johnson

Real Deal will Bay be in the Joe v. Jones this year? I know Coach Brannen is always trying to get a challenging opponent and last year they couldn't find any new teams to come play against them.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on August 12, 2014, 10:26:41 am
Guys if you'll notice I haven't made an anti Bay post in a long time.  Gotta give your fans credit.  The majority of the threads on the Class A board in some way mention Bay.  You have very passionate, and proud fans.
There's been some discussions allowed, or accusations, on another board about recruiting at Harber. Same discussion has taken place here about Bay, but got shut down quickly. I'm ok with that.  More folks than just ole Moonshiner have brought this up. It appears that you don't do things on the up and up.  You win and thump your chest, lose and thump your chest.  I don't know a single person at Concord but I respect that program. I don't respect Bays but maybe I will one day.

Just want to take a moment and explain this one..

The difference between Bay and Har-Ber.

1. Har-Ber has had multiple move-ins this offseason that were starters at other schools in their area, with the exception of 2 players from Jacksonville
2. Bay has had 1 move-in this offseason, Colton Watson. His brother was hired by Bay to Coach their Girls team. Everyone assumed they hired him to get Colton to Bay, but Coach Watson(His first name slips my mind at the moment) wasn't even their first choice, they got turned down by 2 other coaches first.
3. The accusations were getting completely out of hand about Bay, where as the discussion/accusations of Har-Ber have been kept in one thread...

Just my 2 cents on your comment about threads getting shot down...

Oldref

Sad thing I see about all of this is the discussion always turns into accusations instead of information about teams and things related to the upcoming season. I like to read about other parts of the state and who is going to be good in their conferences stuff like that. Post like Mr Basketball did about teams in that part of the state. Never stays like that for long when a thread is started....always turns negative about someone.

Real deal

And I'll sum it up for you and let it go, there are rumors, discussions, accusations, and discussions all over this board about schools involving what you are talking about not just Harbor and Bay.  It's everywhere on this board, kids moving here, stay tuned to see if this one is coming there, heard that so and so was coming here.  1 thru 7a in every sport, boys and girls you name it.  With new school choice laws and the world of education, everything is compared, parents are going to move their kids if they want to for better coaches, better programs, because they are mad, etc. etc.  Thats the world we live in.  I'm guessing it wasn't like that when you went through high school and it wasn't like that when I went through either, but it is today.  AAA takes a beating on this board alot and alot of it is deserved, I have been critical, but this is a fact.  If it wasn't for AAA and the rules they have established there would be so much player jumping you wouldn't even be able to keep up with it, it would be like free agency in the NBA.  AAA controls this alot more than people think because ultimately the movement in the legislature and the department of ED is for kids to be able to go to school where they want regardless of where they live.  I don't thump my chest when Bay loses, some might.  If you are a basketball purist then if you don't respect Bay and their coach then your not a true purist.  No coach and his players work harder, devote more time, and spill more blood, sweat, and tears on the practice court, the weight room, than Bay.  Heck they play throwback basketball, get booed for running delay games, shoot mid range jumpers, focus on defense and blocking out.  Oh but they have benefited from players that wanted to be a part of that, 2 years ago a 3rd stringer with purple and yellow hair and his teammates with mohawks dunked on the final play of a 40 pt game ON THEIR OWN, plus they have won a buttload of games and championships so they aren't respected.  That's cool, those kids are learning at a young age what life is going to be like for them if they are successful but they are learning to deal with it.  Good luck to you and your team.

Real deal

Quote from: Silky Johnson on August 12, 2014, 10:27:06 am
Real Deal will Bay be in the Joe v. Jones this year? I know Coach Brannen is always trying to get a challenging opponent and last year they couldn't find any new teams to come play against them.

Silky Bay is not playing in it, but I am 99 percent sure that there isn't going to be a Joe V. Jones classic this year.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Real deal on August 12, 2014, 11:14:59 am

And I'll sum it up for you and let it go, there are rumors, discussions, accusations, and discussions all over this board about schools involving what you are talking about not just Harbor and Bay.  It's everywhere on this board, kids moving here, stay tuned to see if this one is coming there, heard that so and so was coming here.  1 thru 7a in every sport, boys and girls you name it.  With new school choice laws and the world of education, everything is compared, parents are going to move their kids if they want to for better coaches, better programs, because they are mad, etc. etc.  Thats the world we live in.  I'm guessing it wasn't like that when you went through high school and it wasn't like that when I went through either, but it is today.  AAA takes a beating on this board alot and alot of it is deserved, I have been critical, but this is a fact.  If it wasn't for AAA and the rules they have established there would be so much player jumping you wouldn't even be able to keep up with it, it would be like free agency in the NBA.  AAA controls this alot more than people think because ultimately the movement in the legislature and the department of ED is for kids to be able to go to school where they want regardless of where they live.  I don't thump my chest when Bay loses, some might.  If you are a basketball purist then if you don't respect Bay and their coach then your not a true purist.  No coach and his players work harder, devote more time, and spill more blood, sweat, and tears on the practice court, the weight room, than Bay.  Heck they play throwback basketball, get booed for running delay games, shoot mid range jumpers, focus on defense and blocking out.  Oh but they have benefited from players that wanted to be a part of that, 2 years ago a 3rd stringer with purple and yellow hair and his teammates with mohawks dunked on the final play of a 40 pt game ON THEIR OWN, plus they have won a buttload of games and championships so they aren't respected.  That's cool, those kids are learning at a young age what life is going to be like for them if they are successful but they are learning to deal with it.  Good luck to you and your team.

We'll said.  I'm learning to deal with it too.

Shady

So just to clarify, Bay's outstanding young kids deal with the adversity of being successful by dunking on a team while up 40? Sure sounds like they're going to handle everything that life throws their way as adults well.

Real deal

Quote from: Shady on August 12, 2014, 12:44:12 pm
So just to clarify, Bay's outstanding young kids deal with the adversity of being successful by dunking on a team while up 40? Sure sounds like they're going to handle everything that life throws their way as adults well.

Yea you bet!!  Wow

bball101

Shady, I'm guessing you never had a moment you could shine.

Shady

August 12, 2014, 06:37:31 pm #61 Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:42:27 pm by Shady
I sure never had purple and yellow hair or a Mohawk

Clutch03

Im gonna pick Wonderview boys..they are gonna be tough to beat..watched them play in Atkins basketball camp..they beat Scranton while subbing everyone in through out the game..while at the same time Scranton kept its main players on the floor for the majority of the game and still lost..

Real deal

Quote from: Shady on August 12, 2014, 06:37:31 pm
I sure never had purple and yellow hair or a Mohawk

I'm going to guess you never had much success either, but hair had nothing to do with it. I mean it's already obvious your not very smart go out and get the hairdo you always wanted.

Silky Johnson

August 13, 2014, 01:17:48 pm #64 Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:38:19 pm by Silky Johnson
Quote from: Clutch03 on August 13, 2014, 06:43:59 am
Im gonna pick Wonderview boys..they are gonna be tough to beat..watched them play in Atkins basketball camp..they beat Scranton while subbing everyone in through out the game..while at the same time Scranton kept its main players on the floor for the majority of the game and still lost..
I think that the Wonderview boys will be a pretty good team after making the finals last year. Every game they had in the state tournament was a blowout and no one picked them to beat Concord but in the first half they played with them for a little bit. I would still have to give Bay the No. 1. I watched them come back and beat 5A Greene County Tech after being down 14 points in the 3rd quarter. They also beat 5A Valley View, who has A LOT of size, and won in blowouts against 5A Nettleton and 4A Brookland. They have the best guards in Class A without a doubt as Colton Watson adds even more firepower to their offense. Taylor Layne and Dustin Utley will be better this year and have improved different parts of their game. Jonathan Crain looked better in the post and he had plenty of times where he was guarding taller and bigger guys, I don't see that happening a lot in 1A.  As long as Tyler Pritchett stays healthy I see them winning many games this year. Pritchett's shot has gotten even better and this last team camp he looked in top form. Colton Watson will be a threat every possession and showed that in a Bay jersey he can be a great shooter and scorer while also taking care of the point guard duties. As far as depth hurting them I don't know if it will be a problem. They can play 9-10 guys in Conf. games and be fine. Against a better team or in the post season they can easily play 7-8 guys that know the system and can score.

ballmember

Real Deal or someone else from Bay tell me what game to see Bay play, preferably at Bay.   Would like to see them in a competitive gam.e  thanks.

NEA Razorback olfan

Saw the Watson kid play In the NEA tourney last year avg around 43 pts a game,he will put Bay at another Level. I believe Brookland will give them a good game.

Shady

So exactly which fast food joint are those third stringers with purple and yellow Mohawks working at now?

jacketman

Quote from: Shady on August 13, 2014, 04:39:42 pm
So exactly which fast food joint are those third stringers with purple and yellow Mohawks working at now?

Heard they applied at the Shady Shack, but was denied due to a dress code issue.

hawgball11

Quote from: Mr. Basketball on August 12, 2014, 01:18:29 am
Quote from: ballmember on August 08, 2014, 09:14:12 pm
For the boys i have my top ten( i reserve the right to change it before the season starts)  1-Bay 2-Fourche Valley 3-Wonderview 4-Nevada 5-Acorn 6-County Line 7-Scranton 8-Calico Rock 9-Norfork 10-Shirley.

Obviously Bay and Emerson will be very good and I assume Wonderview and Nevada will also.  I don't know anything about Fourche Valley and Acorn.  Bay's achilles heel could be depth but returning so many key players from last year plus adding Watson is huge. As long as they stay out of foul trouble they will be tough to beat particularly with Coach Brannen at the helm. Emerson looked tough last year and should be a factor in the state tournament this year. I know Wonderview returns some very talented players. The bottom end of top ten maybe forgetting some other teams that might crack the top ten.  As mentioned, Shirley has a shot to be there with with some good young players coming on this year and Coach Brown leading them but I don't see Norfork and Calico in the top ten unless a number of players step up because of the key players they each lost to graduation.  Norfork will have to replace the Lewis kid and I know his brother can play but it will be difficult to replace his firepower.  Calico lost Woods and McClain which was also a lot of their firepower. If Calico can score consistently they might make top ten but they will miss Woods and McClain.  It can't help Norfork that they constantly change coaches and Calico will have to get major help from sophs to compete for a conference title.  They do have a talented group moving up though but Calico and Norfork may be a year away due to having to develop some new team chemistry. I suspect Hughes moving to 1A will probably make them a factor in the top ten. Also, don't overlook Viola and ICC in the 1A 2 North and maybe even the top ten.  I believe Viola returns four starters and moves up a 6'3' stud from junior high while ICC returns four starters and two key reserves and should be much improved since three of the starters were just sophs last year.  Getting to the regional final and competing in the state tournament last year should be a plus too. They also had a good group of freshman move up that could help as well.  Coach Adams does a great job at Viola and Coach McCandlis at ICC now having a year under his belt won't hurt either.  As usual, the 1A 2 North will be very competitive from top to bottom with Mammoth Spring probably being a little better this year and Hillcrest having to quickly adjust after losing their main guy and some other key players to graduation.  It should again be a very competitive year in Class 1A from top to bottom.
What numbers were Woods and McClain for Calico?

Real deal

Quote from: ballmember on August 13, 2014, 04:18:18 pm
Real Deal or someone else from Bay tell me what game to see Bay play, preferably at Bay.   Would like to see them in a competitive gam.e  thanks.

I would say the bic game, maybe Hughes, I think we play Brookland at Brookland. If bay gets a matchup with Pocahontas in Williams baptist that will be really good. I will post dates when I make sure they are right.

Real deal

I'm not sure but they have to take their state championship rings off when flipping burgers and what not.

ballmember

I look forward to going to Bay and watching them play.  Have seen them several times but always away.

Thanks Real Deal for the info.   Nothing better than high school basketball especially A ball !!

Shady

Quote from: Real deal on August 13, 2014, 06:09:20 pm

I'm not sure but they have to take their state championship rings off when flipping burgers and what not.
I'd say those rings have already been bought and paid for a second time.

Real deal

Quote from: ballmember on August 13, 2014, 07:23:41 pm
I look forward to going to Bay and watching them play.  Have seen them several times but always away.

Thanks Real Deal for the info.   Nothing better than high school basketball especially A ball !!

Amen brother!!!  Your welcome and I will get those dates. Bring on the season!!

Shady

Quote from: ballmember on August 13, 2014, 07:23:41 pm

You should go watch Bay vs Maynard, it will be the best game of the year by far.

Real deal

Quote from: Shady on August 13, 2014, 07:46:24 pm
Quote from: Real deal on August 13, 2014, 06:09:20 pm

I'd say those rings have already been bought and paid for a second time.

Uhhhhh.......ok, I'm sure you are very successful, yea right

Oldref

KAIT 8 reported tonight that Hughes is going to have to consolidate after this year because of falling  under the 350 students number. Said they would be looking at their options during this coming school year. Sad to hear it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Oldref on August 13, 2014, 08:22:03 pm
KAIT 8 reported tonight that Hughes is going to have to consolidate after this year because of falling  under the 350 students number. Said they would be looking at their options during this coming school year. Sad to hear it.

Been a long time coming....

Oldref

Hughes will not have many options since they are isolated and a pretty long distance from others. My guess would be West Memphis as the closest option. Marianna and Forrest City are also possibilities but not good ones due to distance.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Oldref on August 13, 2014, 09:19:28 pm
Hughes will not have many options since they are isolated and a pretty long distance from others. My guess would be West Memphis as the closest option. Marianna and Forrest City are also possibilities but not good ones due to distance.

Might result in them temporarily getting to remain open....

Hogfan167

Anyone know how far it is from Hughes to Earle? Could be a possibility.

jacketman

Mileage wise, I believe Marianna would be the closest. I am also with Oldref too, West Memphis is also another closer option. Lee Academy was not to far from Marianna, however, I am not sure if they are in existance anymore, It has been too long since I have been in that area.

Oldref

Quote from: Hogfan167 on August 14, 2014, 06:36:06 am
Anyone know how far it is from Hughes to Earle? Could be a possibility.
I had also thought about Earle but was thinking it was a little too far but mapquest shows it to be 27.7 miles from Hughes which is almost the same distance as West Memphis at 28.1. Marianna is actually the closest to Hughes at 22.7 miles. Don't know how their districts all line up but that is the distance from campus to campus. No one is really close and a lot of the Hughes district is south of Hughes toward the Mississippi River. Lots of real estate with not many folks still living in the country. Typical of the delta where lots of farming jobs have left. 

BoxNOne

I think it will be a tough situation for Hughes to find a partner. Could end up like Stephens where it was split up among two or three districts.

Real deal

I hate to hear this but knew it was coming sooner than later.  As far as what will happen to them, I am with Box I think it will probably go like Stephens did but who knows.  Some great athletes and great history there, Coach Mahlzahn and Coach Swift got their starts there and took the Blue Devils to State Championship games, Coach Brannen also got his start there.  I don't look for Hughes to lay down in basketball, I think they will compete like crazy this year. Over the years, when a school knew this was it it really affected them and there success in that final year.  The Weiner girls in 2013 rallied together seemed like because of their situation and made a run, I look for Hughes to do the same.  Saddest example I can give, was going to Black Rock this Spring to play baseball.  That facility use to be one of the best in the state and you could just tell no one was interested anymore, the complex was already beginning to look like a ghost town.  All over a stupid number.

Real deal

Quote from: Real deal on August 13, 2014, 06:02:06 pm
Quote from: ballmember on August 13, 2014, 04:18:18 pm

I would say the bic game, maybe Hughes, I think we play Brookland at Brookland. If bay gets a matchup with Pocahontas in Williams baptist that will be really good. I will post dates when I make sure they are right.

January 13th Hughes @ Bay
January 16th Riverside @ Bay
January 27th EPC @ Bay
February 3rd BIC @ Bay

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Real deal on August 14, 2014, 09:16:17 am
I hate to hear this but knew it was coming sooner than later.  As far as what will happen to them, I am with Box I think it will probably go like Stephens did but who knows.  Some great athletes and great history there, Coach Mahlzahn and Coach Swift got their starts there and took the Blue Devils to State Championship games, Coach Brannen also got his start there.  I don't look for Hughes to lay down in basketball, I think they will compete like crazy this year. Over the years, when a school knew this was it it really affected them and there success in that final year.  The Weiner girls in 2013 rallied together seemed like because of their situation and made a run, I look for Hughes to do the same.  Saddest example I can give, was going to Black Rock this Spring to play baseball.  That facility use to be one of the best in the state and you could just tell no one was interested anymore, the complex was already beginning to look like a ghost town.  All over a stupid number.

I agree...except I don't think Weiner knew they were closing until after the school year...

Real deal

Quote from: HF on August 14, 2014, 10:48:26 am

I agree...except I don't think Weiner knew they were closing until after the school year...

No they knew, if I knew how to post links I would try to post the one from KAIT when they were preparing for the finals, they did a big story on it.  Now that doesn't mean there were not some folks in Weiner still scratching and clawing to keep a school but the Harrisburg board voted earlier that year to close them and the Superintendent at Harrisburg had to go to Little Rock in front of state board and the state board upheld the decision or something like that.  My facts about that maybe a little sketchy but the days leading up to the state finals it was really a big story.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Real deal on August 14, 2014, 12:07:21 pm

No they knew, if I knew how to post links I would try to post the one from KAIT when they were preparing for the finals, they did a big story on it.  Now that doesn't mean there were not some folks in Weiner still scratching and clawing to keep a school but the Harrisburg board voted earlier that year to close them and the Superintendent at Harrisburg had to go to Little Rock in front of state board and the state board upheld the decision or something like that.  My facts about that maybe a little sketchy but the days leading up to the state finals it was really a big story.

Yeah I remembered the story coming out that week that Weiner wouldn't be around for the next season, but I thought that was when they found out about it...

Real deal

Quote from: HF on August 14, 2014, 12:11:00 pm

Yeah I remembered the story coming out that week that Weiner wouldn't be around for the next season, but I thought that was when they found out about it...

You could be right but I'm pretty sure about the meeting with the Harrisburg board thing, either way I look for Hughes to respond differently to their situation than alot of others I have witnessed that knew that it was their last year, but I could be wrong.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Real deal on August 14, 2014, 12:48:22 pm
Quote from: HF on August 14, 2014, 12:11:00 pm

You could be right but I'm pretty sure about the meeting with the Harrisburg board thing, either way I look for Hughes to respond differently to their situation than alot of others I have witnessed that knew that it was their last year, but I could be wrong.

I remember from the 2a state tournament the year they won it(Was in Carlisle I believe?), there was a lot of support there for them, and seemed to be a lot of community pride amongst the boys on the team....So they could be looking to go out with a bang...

Basketballfan13

The school board voted to close the weiner campus for the following year the same day that Weiner played Wynne for a regular season game on December 17 I think. The state confirmed it officially that monday after the state championship game.

BoxNOne

HF, you got to have some bullets to go out with a bang. Not sure Hughes has them anymore.

Real deal

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on August 14, 2014, 12:58:04 pm
The school board voted to close the weiner campus for the following year the same day that Weiner played Wynne for a regular season game on December 17 I think. The state confirmed it officially that monday after the state championship game.

Thanks for clarification, I'd say the girls pretty much knew that was their last time in a Weiner Cardinal uniform and they pretty much knew it froom Dec. 17th on.  I must say that the boys rallied that year also and played better from December on now that I think about it.

Real deal

Quote from: BoxNOne on August 14, 2014, 02:42:58 pm
HF, you got to have some bullets to go out with a bang. Not sure Hughes has them anymore.

Do we know if they ever hired a coach?

Mr. Basketball

Quote from: hawgball11 on August 13, 2014, 05:29:45 pm
Quote from: Mr. Basketball on August 12, 2014, 01:18:29 am
Quote from: ballmember on August 08, 2014, 09:14:12 pm
For the boys i have my top ten( i reserve the right to change it before the season starts)  1-Bay 2-Fourche Valley 3-Wonderview 4-Nevada 5-Acorn 6-County Line 7-Scranton 8-Calico Rock 9-Norfork 10-Shirley.

Obviously Bay and Emerson will be very good and I assume Wonderview and Nevada will also.  I don't know anything about Fourche Valley and Acorn.  Bay's achilles heel could be depth but returning so many key players from last year plus adding Watson is huge. As long as they stay out of foul trouble they will be tough to beat particularly with Coach Brannen at the helm. Emerson looked tough last year and should be a factor in the state tournament this year. I know Wonderview returns some very talented players. The bottom end of top ten maybe forgetting some other teams that might crack the top ten.  As mentioned, Shirley has a shot to be there with with some good young players coming on this year and Coach Brown leading them but I don't see Norfork and Calico in the top ten unless a number of players step up because of the key players they each lost to graduation.  Norfork will have to replace the Lewis kid and I know his brother can play but it will be difficult to replace his firepower.  Calico lost Woods and McClain which was also a lot of their firepower. If Calico can score consistently they might make top ten but they will miss Woods and McClain.  It can't help Norfork that they constantly change coaches and Calico will have to get major help from sophs to compete for a conference title.  They do have a talented group moving up though but Calico and Norfork may be a year away due to having to develop some new team chemistry. I suspect Hughes moving to 1A will probably make them a factor in the top ten. Also, don't overlook Viola and ICC in the 1A 2 North and maybe even the top ten.  I believe Viola returns four starters and moves up a 6'3' stud from junior high while ICC returns four starters and two key reserves and should be much improved since three of the starters were just sophs last year.  Getting to the regional final and competing in the state tournament last year should be a plus too. They also had a good group of freshman move up that could help as well.  Coach Adams does a great job at Viola and Coach McCandlis at ICC now having a year under his belt won't hurt either.  As usual, the 1A 2 North will be very competitive from top to bottom with Mammoth Spring probably being a little better this year and Hillcrest having to quickly adjust after losing their main guy and some other key players to graduation.  It should again be a very competitive year in Class 1A from top to bottom.
What numbers were Woods and McClain for Calico?

Woods was #23 and McClain #25

Silky Johnson

Haven't noticed many top 10 polls. Mine is probably a little off but feel free to chime in. After putting Bay at 1 I realized many of these teams could easily swap spots. This is just a pre season poll and many of these teams could be better or worse once the season rolls around.
1. Bay
2. Emerson
3. Wonderview
4. Scranton
5. County Line
6. Hughes-If they have athletes they usually have then they will frustrate and surprise a lot of 1A teams.
7. Shirley
8. Izard County
9. Acorn
10. Norfork

ballmember

Silky, that is a good looking top 10.  Hope we can get enough interest to start one on the girls.  I thought with the transfer from Melbourne that I would rank ICC girls first;  Nemo Vista 2 and Wonderview 3.  I really dont know enough about others to say right now.  Maybe Concord, Kirby, Southside Bee Branch, Mt Vernon Enola, Bay............................................

Grizzlyfive0

1. Bay
2. Wonderview
3. Scranton
4. County Line
5. Emerson

Top 5 was all I can come up with for now. I've already stated my thoughts on top 10 anyway

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas