• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Directions to the HAC

Started by x14113, November 04, 2015, 05:19:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

x14113

With hoops season commencing in less than a week, I figure now is the best time to update potential travelers regarding the newest way to get to the Hillbilly Activity Center.

For those who haven't heard yet, Ozark has finished construction of a second route to the high school, and the HAC with it. Hillbilly Loop, as it's called, connects 18th St./AR 23 to the east, and 25th St./Hillbilly Ln. to the west. That western terminus is rather notable, because a one-lane roundabout was built there as part of the project.

While Arkansas has acquired a few of them of late, roundabouts are still pretty novel (I encountered my first touring Europe 14 years ago), so I'll summarize how to handle them below. Those with experience negotiating these rings of pavement should go ahead and skip to the directions.

Online maps have yet to update to include our new street, but the below photo should provide a good idea as to what our roundabout generally looks like.

In our case, you would have Hillbilly Loop to the east, the HS/HAC to the west, and 25th (which connects to Commercial St./US 64) to the south.

Unlike the two-lane variety (I'm looking at you, Conway), it's actually pretty easy to negotiate our one-lane roundabout.

--Yield to traffic already in the loop
--Watch out for inattentive entries
--Don't panic if you miss your exit; just loop around and try again

For simplicity's sake, I'll describe negotiating a turnabout the same way as a 4-way stop (i.e. "crossing the roundabout" means you exit opposite the entry, and so on).

x14113

With that...Directions!

Approaching from AR-23 S/I-40 E: Cross/turn right from Exit 35 and approach Ozark. Just before you reach Walmart, turn right onto Hillbilly Loop. Cross the roundabout to the HAC.

Approaching from I-40 W: Turn left from Exit 37, then right onto Airport Road just before you reach Love's (KFC/TB and ABV Inn are on Airport Rd.). Take this road all the way to then cross AR-23 onto Hillbilly Loop. Cross the roundabout to the HAC.

Approaching from AR-23 N/US 64: Same directions as before. Turn left at the roundabout to the HAC.

As always, drive safely!

Legend

How has this helped with the school traffic?

x14113

From what little I've seen, it's an overall improvement. Any main issues now would concern updating 25th (i.e. speed limit, Gar Creek bridge).

The junction at 23 can be a bit busy, but still easier to manage. You might want to watch the traffic leaving Airport Rd., though...

Legend

I know it took too long to finally get relief on that road. It was horrible getting out of school. Only one way in/out. Why cant they pave the dirt road that comes out on Puddin RTidge road. That was the original road to the school. That would be 3 access points exp coming off I40 on exit 35

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas