• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-1 Conference Play

Started by Ole Legend, December 21, 2015, 10:27:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ole Legend

So far I have only seen PR, Gentry, and Lincoln play. PR is a solid team. If they are hitting their shots, they are tough to beat. Gentry is a little better than I expected. #24 is one of the better players in the league. He hit six 3's in the first half against PR. Lincoln is down again this year. I have talked to a few Huntsville people, and it sounds like they are playing really well right now. Does anybody know anything about Gravette, Berryville, or Shiloh?

TheOfficial

Quote from: Ole Legend on December 21, 2015, 10:27:25 am
So far I have only seen PR, Gentry, and Lincoln play. PR is a solid team. If they are hitting their shots, they are tough to beat. Gentry is a little better than I expected. #24 is one of the better players in the league. He hit six 3's in the first half against PR. Lincoln is down again this year. I have talked to a few Huntsville people, and it sounds like they are playing really well right now. Does anybody know anything about Gravette, Berryville, or Shiloh?

Berryville and Shiloh both way, way down this year.

always88

Does Prairie Grove currently not have enough boys to make a team? Or just not the"right" ones to better their odds of winning? I understand some were still in football, but what if a school has a flu epidemic one week and decide to postpone the game until the "whole" team is back. Will pg be willing to accommodate them?

WPWells

It's common to postpone conference games to allow a team to get their football players back. Don't get your knickers in a twist

always88

It was an honest question. I personally don't care what they do with their schedule. It just seems disrespectful to the kids that have been good enough to practice all summer and since school started, but not good enough to play in games.

TheOfficial

Nothing wrong with waiting for the starters to play conference games.  As far as those that practiced all summer, if this is a good coach and a good team, then these kids know their role and our happy to play it.  Those kids want to win too and they know they need their best players back to give them the best chance.
Kids have been fine with this for years.  It's the parents getting involved that screws the whole team atmosphere up.

Nip/Tusk

December 22, 2015, 08:28:04 am #6 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:14:04 pm by Josh Louin

beach bum

December 22, 2015, 09:23:11 am #7 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:24:43 am by beach bum
Quote from: always88 on December 21, 2015, 09:23:11 pm
Does Prairie Grove currently not have enough boys to make a team? Or just not the"right" ones to better their odds of winning? I understand some were still in football, but what if a school has a flu epidemic one week and decide to postpone the game until the "whole" team is back. Will pg be willing to accommodate them?

When Gentry ever(I mean ever) becomes good enough to make deep runs in football then come back to me and tell me how you want to play two conference games without the majority of the players that will be making big contributions or starters. You do know those games go toward seeding in the conference tournament? I am pretty sure PG wants a 2 seed and an automatic regional bid. Start 0-2 in conference play and kiss that goodbye. Its going to take a lot to get the 2 already for PG. Its possible but will be very difficult. Let me know how you feel if Gentry was in the same situation!

always88

Quote from: beach bum on December 22, 2015, 09:23:11 am
Quote from: always88 on December 21, 2015, 09:23:11 pm

When Gentry ever(I mean ever) becomes good enough to make deep runs in football then come back to me and tell me how you want to play two conference games without the majority of the players that will be making big contributions or starters. You do know those games go toward seeding in the conference tournament? I am pretty sure PG wants a 2 seed and an automatic regional bid. Start 0-2 in conference play and kiss that goodbye. Its going to take a lot to get the 2 already for PG. Its possible but will be very difficult. Let me know how you feel if Gentry was in the same situation!
I understand a team wanting to get at least a 2 seed and automatic bid and definitely have no problem with that, I just wasn't aware that schools had the option to postpone games depending on whether or not their strongest players are available for whatever reason. I was not wanting to start a riot with PG alumni/fans. We obviously have commentators on here with more knowledge and insight than I have. We cant learn if we don't ask. Gentry making any kind of a run in football playoffs is very far fetched at this moment in time but I understand your point!

Nip/Tusk

December 22, 2015, 09:54:42 am #9 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:15:05 pm by Josh Louin
I'm sure pg couldn't have postponed without the permission of the other teams involved.

Games have been postponed before for weather related events, even when one school wasnt cancelled. I could be wrong, but I think one school did have to postpone a game due to sickness as well.

I think the 4a should find a way to schedule conference games starting in January as the 5a appears to have done. It may mean having to play 3 conference games in some weeks, but it would at least put all the teams on a somewhat level playing field (court).

Obytheway

I have seen it done before but also do not agree with it.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Josh Louin on December 22, 2015, 09:54:42 am
I'm sure pg couldn't have postponed without the permission of the other teams involved.

Games have been postponed before for weather related events, even when one school wasnt cancelled. I could be wrong, but I think one school did have to postpone a game due to sickness as well.

I think the 4a should find a way to schedule conference games starting in January as the 5a appears to have done. It may mean having to play 3 conference games in some weeks, but it would at least put all the teams on a somewhat level playing field (court).

Next year they will have to start earlier in December cause the mix conference has 10 teams. Also will have few non-conference games with extra league games.  It will be really bad for any teams that make a playoff run.

Nip/Tusk

Forgot about that Cajun. Yeah, that will he a bad deal.

Maybe aaa should push the entire basketball season back a couple weeks. I doubt that will ever happen.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Josh Louin on December 22, 2015, 10:59:50 pm
Forgot about that Cajun. Yeah, that will he a bad deal.

Maybe aaa should push the entire basketball season back a couple weeks. I doubt that will ever happen.

Josh, if they would start football when school starts that would be 2 weeks earlier and wouldn't interfere with basketball or baseball. That would fix a lot of issues.   

Nip/Tusk

Good point. Wonder if that would ever fly.

Obytheway

I am afraid that basketball will always play second fiddle to football.  That's just the way it is around this state.  There are some schools this might not be.  I see Huntsville and even Farmington in a way turning to basketball a little more than football the past few years.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Josh Louin on December 23, 2015, 11:03:19 am
Good point. Wonder if that would ever fly.

I would hope, just common sense..... Will that means NO  ;D It would also help baseball and softball as well. This is why it's harder on kids to play multiple sports.

Nip/Tusk

Pg swept Shiloh tonight in Springdale.

Not sure on scores.

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge boys beat Gravette last night. Gravette girls beat Pea Ridge

oldtimeeagle

Both Huntsville teams won at Gentry last night.

Ole Legend

Quote from: oldtimeeagle on January 06, 2016, 04:39:51 pm
Both Huntsville teams won at Gentry last night.

How close of a game was the boys game?

BVCAT

Games from 1/5/2016:

Girls
Berryville 53
Lincoln 33

Shiloh  38
Prairie Grove 47

Gentry  44
Huntsville 54

Gravette 59 
Pea Ridge 65

Boys

Berryville 67
Lincoln 44

Shiloh  49
Prairie Grove 65

Gentry  55
Huntsville 62

Gravette 63
Pea Ridge 74

Nip/Tusk

From what I have heard and from seeing their scores, it doesn't seem like they can score. They do have some great athletes, but they aren't putting the ball in the basket.

I would imagine they'll get better as the year goes along, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them change their defensive philosophy to try and create more offense with their defense. Like traps, press, etc.

pridgehog

Quote from: XTIGER on January 14, 2016, 10:24:53 am
Has anyone heard that Senior boys Coach edmiston(Prairie Grove) to step down at the end of year?
Absolutely Not, I have not heard one thing about it. He has had a ton of success at PG so I hope he stays.

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge @ Huntsville tonight! Probably the biggest game so far in conference play. Both teams shoot lights out. Should be a good game!

prHOG13

Quote from: Ole Legend on January 15, 2016, 01:45:38 pm
Pea Ridge @ Huntsville tonight! Probably the biggest game so far in conference play. Both teams shoot lights out. Should be a good game!
Pea Ridge wins easily 49-34. Joey Hall had 18.

bballfan2

Does anyone know what the standings are looking like so far?

BVCAT

Boys:

Pea Ridge               5-1
Huntsville               5-1
Gentry               4-2
Berryville               3-3
Shiloh Christian       3-3
Gravette               2-3
Prairie Grove       1-4
Lincoln               0-6

Girls:
Prairie Grove   6-0
Huntsville           5-1
Gentry           4-2
Berryville            4-2
Gravette           3-3
Pea Ridge           1-5
Shiloh Christian   1-5
Lincoln           0-6

oldtimeeagle

Final boys score
Huntsville 73
Berryville 51

Final girls score
Huntsville 37
Berryville 34

Nip/Tusk

January 19, 2016, 08:45:27 pm #29 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:13:46 pm by Josh Louin

Lincoln wins it. Yikes.

Nip/Tusk

Another low scoring game from pg.

Hard to win when you can't put the ball in the hoop.

Credit to Lincoln though.

4AWhistler

Lincoln played tough defense tonight, especially inside.  They denied the pass inside from the wings down into the paint successfully, or collapsed and slapped the ball from PG's big consistently.  If you fluster him, he's easy, not strong or aggressive.
Lincoln made clutch free throws in the last minute and won by 5.

Prairie Grove never had the lead in this game.

Bulldog92

Can any of y'all post on the girls??

4AWhistler

Nip/Tusk

Pg boys win at Gravette tonight. Go to huntsville tomorrow.

pridgehog

Quote from: Josh Louin on January 21, 2016, 09:18:06 pm
Pg boys win at Gravette tonight. Go to huntsville tomorrow.
Good Win for PG. Gravette is tough at home.

Nip/Tusk

January 22, 2016, 07:46:42 pm #36 Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:47:52 pm by Josh Louin
Pg girls win at huntsville. 
Huntsville led early but pgs defense shut them down.

Huntsville boys win.

prHOG13

Pea Ridge beats Gentry 46-41

BVCAT

Girls
Berryville 69
Shiloh 43

Boys
Berryville 75
Shiloh 64

prHOG13

Boys Standings:

1- Pea Ridge-  7-1 (17-3 overall) 64 points
2- Huntsville-  7-1 (19-2 overall) 63 points
3- Gentry-  5-3  (12-6 overall) 33 points
4- Berryville-  4-4 (13-8 overall) 30 points
5- Shiloh Christian- 3-5 (7-10 overall) 19 points
6- Gravette-  3-5 (9-11 overall) 18 points
7- Prairie Grove- 2-6 (3-16 overall) 17 points
8- Lincoln- 1-7 (6-13 overall) 10 points

Tomorrows games (1/26)- 
Gravette @ Prairie Grove
Shiloh @ Huntsville
Gentry @ Berryville
Pea Ridge @ Lincoln

Friday's games (1/29)-
Gravette @ Pea Ridge
Shiloh @ Prairie Grove
Gentry @ Huntsville
Berryville @ Lincoln

Nip/Tusk

Thanks for the update pr.

I know pg girls are 8-0 in conf.

BVCAT

Girls
Berryville 48
Gentry 36

Boys
Berryville 66
Gentry 63

pridgehog

Well, Gentry and Berryville will be fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place the next 4 games while Huntsville and Pea Ridge Battle for 1st and 2nd. It should be fun and I assume there could be an upset in the District tourney that could knock somebody out of Regionals. Prairie Grove hosting District, I would not underestimate them... Shiloh and Gravette aren't far behind either...

Nip/Tusk

Pg has no scorers.

Not looking good for them. They're probably averaging 40 points a game.

LION Dad

Gravette beat Berryville last night

Ole Legend

Quote from: pridgehog on February 02, 2016, 03:54:31 pm
Well, Gentry and Berryville will be fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place the next 4 games while Huntsville and Pea Ridge Battle for 1st and 2nd. It should be fun and I assume there could be an upset in the District tourney that could knock somebody out of Regionals. Prairie Grove hosting District, I would not underestimate them... Shiloh and Gravette aren't far behind either...

Shiloh isn't a bad team. They have been improving throughout the year. Lost to Huntsville by 50 early in the season, and then took them to overtime a few games back. Gravette can hang around with about any team in the conference. They played PR close both games. Gentry is very streaky. I'm ready to watch Huntsville play again. I've only been able to watch them once, and I wasn't impressed at all.

pridgehog

Pea Ridge
10-1 0.909 620 453 20-3 0.870 1313 961 14 W

Huntsville
10-1 0.909 647 500 16-3 0.842 1087 911 5 W

Berryville
7-6 0.538 721 708 15-9 0.625 1332 1275 1 L

Shiloh Christian
5-6 0.455 641 707 8-12 0.400 1236 1374 2 W

Gravette
5-6 0.455 602 627 11-12 0.478 1313 1393 1 W

Gentry
5-6 0.455 588 576 9-7 0.563 849 807 4 L

Prairie Grove
2-10 0.167 484 612 3-18 0.143 898 1112 4 L

Lincoln
1-9 0.100 459 579 6-16 0.273 1015 1208 4 L

Nip/Tusk

Thanks for the update pr.

Even though pg is fighting to stay outta the cellar.

Nip/Tusk

Every year the 4-4a is touted and it seems almost every year the 1-4 finds a way to split with them.

I know Prep will be very good having returned everyone from last year.

As I mentioned before the season, I though pea ridge would run away with the conference and district championship.

I could definitely see Pea Ridge and Huntsville making state with Berryville having an outside chance depending on who they draw. Gravette, Gentry and Shiloh would all have a very slim chance IMO. Pg just trying to keep their head above water and somehow make it to regionals. I'm afraid they've mailed it in.

I'm not real familiar with Ozark or Dover, but I know Pottsville has been good for several years with their coach.

It's always a fun time of year and anything can happen.

I will say the 4-4a is usually not good in girls, so the 1-4 will at least get 3 teams in maybe sweep.

Nip/Tusk

I want to stress that I don't know enough about any of these teams to be taken too serious. Just making some predictions for fun.

I'll say Pea Ridge and Huntsville both make state for the boys. And I'll go PG, Huntsville and Gentry for the girls.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas