• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-4 Boys Basketball

Started by kennyboy, September 18, 2015, 09:50:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyboy

So what's going to happen in 4A-4 boys basketball. 

1. Baptist is going to be the favorite.... why not... they went undefeated and lost no one... and I hear they have a 9th grade Guard that's only going to make them better.

2. The Sand Lizards (idk how to spell their town  ;) Got HOTTTT at the end of the year and has the best returning player in the conference ... not a whole lot of talent around him, but they got a Big guy in the middle that'll probably be pretty good.

3.  Pottsville lost their big guy that was a difference maker defensively in the paint... but the twins are tough... and they have a couple pretty good shooters... they could easily slip into the number 2 spot. 

4.  Ozark is going to be the sleeper I think... they had a critical injury last year that hurt them big time... and when he came back toward the end of the year, they were a different team.
4 - 8 ????

In no order
Subi Lost several starters, but defense and system will keep them relevant. 

Dover lost their leading scorer, but has the Baseball/Football guy back that was good.

Robinson lost their Several starters... they are always athletic though

Clinton lost a couple critical players... they could end up being the sleeper, b/c they had a REALLY good 9th grade team last year.

What are yall's thoughts?

SoftballCrazy

I think you may underestimate Dover. Time will tell

b-ball fan

Dover added a stud with the Roby kid. He can go, and will be one of the top players in the league. Not sure where they will end up in this league, but he will certainly make them better

LRRandy

I don't know how this year will work out but I thought it was great that 3 of the final four in state where from the 4a-4 this past year.

eaglefan200

I heard Dardanelle's really good player was going to Clarksville this year. Is that true?

woopig123

I heard that, but I also heard he is staying at Dardanelle

arkhoops94

Not true. He will be playing for Dardenelle this year.

kennyboy

September 29, 2015, 12:04:10 am #7 Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:16:48 am by kennyboy
Yeah... I heard about Dovers new guy (the new coaches' son?) after I posted this. 

I heard Subi got them a new PG too.

Needless to say ... The conference looks like it's gonna be tough again this year ... From top to bottom.

#EagleStrong

Paris played a lot of these teams over the summer. Obviously you can't read too much into summer ball, but the Eagles beat Dardanelle, smoked Pottsville (pun intended), split with Ozark, and lost to Dover. Pirates have great outside shooting and they play tough. Hillbillies are very disciplined defensively. Both will be a tough out for anyone.

Silky Johnson

Dover will have a good new player but he's not going to take them to state I don't think.

purplecrush91

Question does anyone know what the rankings are

arkhoops94

Dardanelle beat Robinson 57-48. Dardenelle also beat Subiaco 42-38.
Ozark beat Clinton 76-56.
Pottsville beat Dover 54-42

Bildo

Wanted to get some thoughts from some folks out there. Here is the situation. Your boys are playing and getting beat by 30+ near the end of the third quarter. The opposing coach has a player stand around the free throw line (snowbird) and not play defense. The player is wiping the bottom of his shoes off, interacting with the crowd and the players on he bench. They get the rebound, throw it to the other end for the player to get a dunk. Once this is done, the coach chooses, a different player, the starting center, to do the same thing. This time the opposing team gets down the floor and commits a hard but clean foul. The player is called for an intentional foul. Once the free throws are shot and both sides express their displeasure, the coach again snowbirds the same player to do the same thing. Is it just me or does this seem disrespectful to the losing team?

always88

I think it is low class and disrespectful. It's one thing to show off during the regular course of play, but to show off at the expense of a team that is already in a huge deficit and can't afford to take away from their offense (just on the small chance they could get something going offensively) in order to guard the snow bird is uncalled for.

Bildo

I'm sure we will get more replies but this happened with Clinton doing this against Carlisle yesterday at Conway Christian.

Nip/Tusk

Why didnt the losing team just put a man back to defend?

Bildo

They didn't do this until the game was well in hand and Carlisle had their subs playing. If you do it from the onset, that's one thing. They should have been extended the same sense of a real game and fair play imo.  Why have your starters out there? To me, it is showboating and undermines the integrity of the game.

BigLion10

Hope Clinton doesn't do any complaining if someone beats them like that smh that's just ridiculous to do that to another team

Nip/Tusk

BigLion10

If the subs were in for the losing team why keep your starters in anyway is the better question

Bildo

What point was trying to be made? If you want to get them a dunk, set a screen or run a set play. They were only putting people back that could dunk, no others

Nip/Tusk

Bildo

I get it. It's justified because the losing team should've defended. When the tables get turned...

Bildo

Same as with PA and McClellan. I guess McClellan should have played better defense?

LRRandy

Ozark comes to Baptist Prep this Friday to kick off conference play.
Baptist Prep played (7a) Springdale HarBer in Jonesboro Saturday (12/12). Baptist commited 11 turnovers in the first 18 possessions to trail 23-5 at the end of the first quarter. BP then went on to out score HarBer 50-30 to win by 2.

Baptist Prep lost to (5a) Pulaski Academy Tuesday (12/8) in overtime. BP had the ball with the lead with one minute left and turned it over and then had the ball in a tie game in regulation and didnt convert the possession out of a timeout to win the game.

Really looking forward to starting conference play.

NEA Razorback olfan

December 13, 2015, 02:54:13 pm #25 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:13:12 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: Bildo on December 13, 2015, 11:21:49 am
Wanted to get some thoughts from some folks out there. Here is the situation. Your boys are playing and getting beat by 30+ near the end of the third quarter. The opposing coach has a player stand around the free throw line (snowbird) and not play defense. The player is wiping the bottom of his shoes off, interacting with the crowd and the players on he bench. They get the rebound, throw it to the other end for the player to get a dunk. Once this is done, the coach chooses, a different player, the starting center, to do the same thing. This time the opposing team gets down the floor and commits a hard but clean foul. The player is called for an intentional foul. Once the free throws are shot and both sides express their displeasure, the coach again snowbirds the same player to do the same thing. Is it just me or does this seem disrespectful to the losing team?

I have seen teams press weaker teams up 30+ in the 2nd half and in the process lost their best player to an injury , teams, coaches and fans will remember that kind of low class type of coaching , I know coaches can get caught up in how well their team is playing but in some cases there is just no excuse. Besides giving themselves a warm fuzzy ,What goes around comes around.

Max preps has Clinton at 4-5 (0-1) ???? with 2 guys 6'4 and a 6'8 , sounds like the coach needs to work on other things besides getting dunks on 2nd string players!!!not a lot to showboat about  , now Malik Monk was in Jonesboro Friday night, now he is the real deal!!!

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: Josh Louin on December 13, 2015, 12:57:56 pm
Because they were running their offense like they should've been doing. Which requires all 5 players. Carlisle did get a guy back on defense to prevent the dunk by the kid not playing defense at all. And, truth be told, it was a clean block. Kid just hit the floor. Kid got flagrant foul when there was no foul. Clinton's entire bench ran into the court and should've been kicked out. All of this was the fault of the Clinton coach for making a mockery of the game and trying to embarrass the opponent.

Hope he is proud of himself.

ErnestTBass

No excuse at all. But isn't the Clinton coach really really young? Again no excuses

BrianfromCarlisle

3 Dollar

Clinton will get their due process by staying home during the State and probably Region Tournaments.

Not a top team in 4-4A, talent wise or class wise!

Ozark
Pottsville
Dardanelle
Baptist Prep
Subiaco

All better teams!

Bildo

I hate it for Clinton's kids, they deserve better. They are just doing what they are told by the person who is supposed to be making the right decisions. Yes they could have put someone back to defend, but why should that have ever been up for discussion? The Clinton coach has got to see that now, you think?

pridgehog

Quote from: 3 Dollar on December 14, 2015, 09:03:41 am
Clinton will get their due process by staying home during the State and probably Region Tournaments.

Ozark
Pottsville
Dardanelle
Baptist Prep
Subiaco

All better teams!
Regionals should be in NWA this yr since it was in Pottsville last year...

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Bildo on December 14, 2015, 09:40:59 am
I hate it for Clinton's kids, they deserve better. They are just doing what they are told by the person who is supposed to be making the right decisions. Yes they could have put someone back to defend, but why should that have ever been up for discussion? The Clinton coach has got to see that now, you think?

Depends on if it was the coaches idea, or the players, and the young coach went along with it.

CTownJacket212

Also not mentioned: Clinton was playing their subs, too.  They only snowbirded twice, not three times.  And the kid that got fouled did not play much at all until this year, they were just trying to get him a dunk before he graduates at the end of the year...

CTownJacket212

Starting five for Clinton played maybe six minutes the whole game :-X

Bildo

Quote from: CTownJacket212 on December 14, 2015, 01:35:00 pm
Also not mentioned: Clinton was playing their subs, too.  They only snowbirded twice, not three times.  And the kid that got fouled did not play much at all until this year, they were just trying to get him a dunk before he graduates at the end of the year...
No, it was three. Once by #11 and twice by the other, the first time he got fouled. And just because he hasn't played doesn't make it right. Set a screen or run a play. So what you are saying is that it is ok? There is no excuse. That is what is wrong with the thought process here. It's not about your players, its about the kids on the other team. Did that thought cross your mind? Obviously not! Why not do it at the beginning of the game? Or in all games for that matter. Fact is, it was poor sportsmanship, plain and simple

CTownJacket212

Quote from: Bildo on December 14, 2015, 01:58:03 pm
No, it was three. Once by #11 and twice by the other, the first time he got fouled. And just because he hasn't played doesn't make it right. Set a screen or run a play. So what you are saying is that it is ok? There is no excuse. That is what is wrong with the thought process here. It's not about your players, its about the kids on the other team. Did that thought cross your mind? Obviously not! Why not do it at the beginning of the game? Or in all games for that matter. Fact is, it was poor sportsmanship, plain and simple
If they wanted to play Clinton a close game, they should have kept the game close, Clinton had their fourth string in.  they were swapping buckets when the SECOND AND LAST snowbird was attempted. There was no third attempt because of a forfeit caused by poor sportsmanship by CARLISLE'S FAN BASE.  Was not a clean foul either, the Carlisle kid undercut the Clinton kid.  The Carlisle kid was also kicked out of the game for POOR SPORTSMANSHIP.

Bildo

December 14, 2015, 02:35:08 pm #37 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:43:29 pm by Bildo
Quote from: CTownJacket212 on December 14, 2015, 02:16:43 pm
If they wanted to play Clinton a close game, they should have kept the game close, Clinton had their fourth string in.  they were swapping buckets when the SECOND AND LAST snowbird was attempted. There was no third attempt because of a forfeit caused by poor sportsmanship by CARLISLE'S FAN BASE.  Was not a clean foul either, the Carlisle kid undercut the Clinton kid.  The Carlisle kid was also kicked out of the game for POOR SPORTSMANSHIP.
What Clinton did DEFINES poor sportsmanship. Fourth string? How many players do you have? #11, is he 4th string? You can try to justify it all day. Answer my question... If it is not a big deal then why not do it at the beginning of the game? Its because the game was in hand and Clinton took liberties at the expense of kids that were trying to play the game the way it should be. Our kids did their best, they had played 7 games in a 10 day stretch. So forgive them for not keeping it close, as far as the fan base goes, if you think that anyone would be ok with what was done, read the posts above. Did all of your players play? For the record, it shouldn't have been a flagrant, he went for the ball. When everyone in your conference gets wind of what was done, look out. I know there are some very good programs, fans and coaches that will see it different than you.

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: CTownJacket212 on December 14, 2015, 02:16:43 pm
The foul wasn't even a foul.  he went for, and got to the ball.  He was given an unjustified flagrant foul.  The game was called because of poor judgment by the official.  AND the entire incident was started by the Clinton coach.  Considering that most Clinton players had not played yet, I would say they were not on their 4th string.  But I can look at the book and get you the participation tonight.  I will get back with you for sure.  I will even let you know exactly how much the starters played. 
You will not be able to justify your coaches poor decision.  And the Carlisle kid will not be made out to be the bad guy, when he actually tied the ball up.  Can't undercut someone when your body is at the head of the opposing player and your hand is on the ball.

MO3Positive

I wasn't there but I was told that the coach told the kid to take out the player and that the Carlisle fans, in particular one dad was yelling some pretty rough stuff at the young man that was going to try and dunk. I know this kid and he is one of the nicest kids you will ever meet. Senior year. Hasn't been able to pull off a dunk and wanted to. Hasn't started or played much before this year. There are two sides and for the referee to eject the player and the dad, and then call the game in the third quarter it would seem that there was some fault on the Carlisle side too. Clinton has a great group of kids and a great coach. We play in a tough and challenging conference so we will see how the season plays out. We have coaching and talent including a group of sophomores that won district, conference, and only lost one game last year.  In the 4-4A. Maybe instead of trying to stir a pot and get people heated up and gunning for a group of  teenage boys that honestly meant no harm, the subject of the 4-4A conference, and all of the talented young men and ladies that play in it should be discussed instead.  Good luck to Carlisle, their players, and coaches for the rest of their season.

arkhoops94

Pottsville beats Subiaco Academy 53-48

BrianfromCarlisle

Coach did NOT tell the kid to take him out. Dad did NOT get ejected. The shot was blocked.  Not even a foul.  The fact of the matter, is the COACH of Clinton was totally and completely at fault. You do not show up another team. Oh, and 4 players for Clinton never touched the floor. That's for the person that said the 4th string was in.

TheOfficial

The coach running the score up and trying to get a kid a dunk whether classy or not is not an excuse for the opposing school's fans to act like butts!  Too much of this stuff going on where "adults" don't know how to handle themselves. Set an example for your kids people!

TheOfficial

Ozark
Pottsville
Dardanelle
Baptist Prep
Subiaco

All better teams!

Baptist Prep?  Are you referring to AR Baptist?

WattsOzark

Is this Clinton/Carlisle play available on hudl?  That might solve some of the controversy.

BrianfromCarlisle

Fans voicing there displeasure to the coach for being an idiot and trying to embarrass kids is not being "butts".  Kids should have better examples set for them.   You are right about that. And if Clinton condones that from their coach, well....

LRRandy

Quote from: TheOfficial on December 15, 2015, 12:06:26 am

Ozark
Pottsville
Dardanelle
Baptist Prep
Subiaco

All better teams!

Baptist Prep?  Are you referring to AR Baptist?
Arkansas Baptist has changed their name to Baptist Prep.

TheOfficial

December 15, 2015, 08:34:13 am #47 Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:35:47 am by TheOfficial
Obviously touched a nerve.  Brian must be the ignorant fan from Carlisle that set the bad example.

Coaches are going to sometimes try to get easy baskets for a senior that doesn't get to play much.  Whether you like it or not you need to set a good example for your kid.

CTownJacket212

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on December 15, 2015, 01:44:46 am
Fans voicing there displeasure to the coach for being an idiot and trying to embarrass kids is not being "butts".  Kids should have better examples set for them.   You are right about that. And if Clinton condones that from their coach, well....
Fans from Carlisle were not "voicing opinions to Clinton Coach" they were yelling at the big man on the FLOOR, a TEENAGE BOY, to get back and play defense.  You do not set an example for your kids by embarrassing them.  Honestly, the game was out of reach and yes Carlisle was showing their butts by yelling at Clinton kids and their coach.  The play was not clean either, he tackled the kid out of mid air.  It was a flagrant foul and the officials made the right decision by tossing him and his parent.  Sorry, but those are the facts buddy.  I am done arguing because I know that I am right.  Keep feeding everyone the lies if you want, but that is your decision. ;)

Bildo

Nothing was directed at the kids on the floor. The fact is, this was done with two different players, not just one. It was done for #11 first, then the next kid was sent out to try it. The thought is, how many times are you gonna try it and with how many players. The season is young. Have a conversation with a coach in your conference and get him (or them) a dunk at home, where it could be special for him. The way it was handled was wrong from the start. It looked as if they were showboating, plain and simple. If you don't want this to be interpreted this way, have that conversation with the people that are involved. Clintons folks are upset because they are being accused, Carlisle folks are upset because they were being "shown up " by a team two classifications larger in a 30+ point game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas