• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff Seeding Question

Started by RedZone1218, October 24, 2017, 10:18:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedZone1218

Hello,

I've been keeping up with local sports more thoroughly in recent years, but I've got a quick question about playoff seeding and home field, particularly during week 1 for 6A east and west. Just to be clear: there are 6 teams from each side that go to the playoffs (12 teams total) and, for instance, East 1 and East 2 seeds will receive a bye, while East 3 and East 4 seeds will receive a home game with East 5 and 6 going on the road during week 1 of playoffs?

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 24, 2017, 10:38:01 am #1 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:41:08 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: RedZone1218 on October 24, 2017, 10:18:50 am
Hello,

I've been keeping up with local sports more thoroughly in recent years, but I've got a quick question about playoff seeding and home field, particularly during week 1 for 6A east and west. Just to be clear: there are 6 teams from each side that go to the playoffs (12 teams total) and, for instance, East 1 and East 2 seeds will receive a bye, while East 3 and East 4 seeds will receive a home game with East 5 and 6 going on the road during week 1 of playoffs?

The top 2 teams from the West and the East receive first round byes.

As for home field advantage, I'm not sure you can get clarity on that from the actual brackets.  I believe the top 2 teams on each side of the brackets get home field advantage.  Not sure on that though.

Wildcat Football

Yes, that is the way I understand it and have been following 6A football now for several years.  You can go the this site to see the bracket for the 6A playoffs.

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/OrGz3piEEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/OrG0IZiEEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/football-fall-17/2017-centennial-bank-state-football-playoffs---2017-6a-football-state-bracket--.htm

RedZone1218

October 24, 2017, 10:43:35 am #3 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:45:26 am by RedZone1218
Quote from: Wildcat Football on October 24, 2017, 10:38:43 am
Yes, that is the way I understand it and have been following 6A football now for several years.  You can go the this site to see the bracket for the 6A playoffs.

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/OrGz3piEEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/OrG0IZiEEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/football-fall-17/2017-centennial-bank-state-football-playoffs---2017-6a-football-state-bracket--.htm

I saw that and that's why I was a little confused. Usually the bottom team is the home team on a bracket, but for instance, this bracket shows the bottom team as being West #5 Seed and East #4 on top like the east team is away. But I went back and looked at previous years, and #4 seems to be at home.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: RedZone1218 on October 24, 2017, 10:43:35 am
I saw that and that's why I was a little confused. Usually the bottom team is the home team on a bracket, but for instance, this bracket shows the bottom team as being West #5 Seed and East #4 on top like the east team is away. But I went back and looked at previous years, and #4 seems to be at home.

The top 2 seeds have first round byes.  The #3 and #4 seeds have home field the first week.   The winners of those games play at the #1 or #2 seeds home.

RedZone1218

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 24, 2017, 10:48:09 am
The top 2 seeds have first round byes.  The #3 and #4 seeds have home field the first week.   The winners of those games play at the #1 or #2 seeds home.

Great! I though that was the case but the arrangement of the brackets threw me off for a minute. Appreciate it!

ricepig

The higher seed is always the home team.

RedZone1218

By my calculations, unless I have figured wrong, important final 2 games for Jonesboro. Win both and should be a 4 seed/host a home playoff game in week 1.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: RedZone1218 on October 25, 2017, 03:03:11 pm
By my calculations, unless I have figured wrong, important final 2 games for Jonesboro. Win both and should be a 4 seed/host a home playoff game in week 1.

Jonesboro has a good chance of winning out.  Don't overlook Marion at home though!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas