• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Eagles state of program

Started by InYoGrill, September 16, 2017, 07:58:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

InYoGrill

September 16, 2017, 07:58:46 am Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:22:00 pm by InYoGrill
I missed last season with Vilonia's new coach because I was serving the flag abroad but I am amiss to say I'm a bit concernabout the state of Eagle nation football Granted we played two good  4A football playing schools in Pottsville and booneville but V should never get beat score wise like those 2 games. Any insiders following the program give better  insight into the program going back to last season? We have larger numbers  of kids coming out to play than before    The roster seems to have some decent size.  I'm not sure about our team speed.  Of course that has never been a huge asset for V. Lol.      Stanley supporters are probably shaking their heads as well    Love him or not Stanley and the double wing always won more than they lost and usually made the first round of playoffs     Thoughts?

Central AR

I'm not really sure. If it wasn't for scheduling GCT then Vilonia is looking at a possibility of a 0-10 season. Realistically they'll finish 3-7 at the best but most likely 2-10. Maybe 1-9. Yeah it sounds bad but this team just got rocked by Pottsville and Booneville. Quality teams in their respected conferences but Vilonia is in the 5A so it's not going to get any easier with conference up. I'm personally not the biggest fan of their offense. I would love to see some versatility and different formations but I'm not sure where those plays are at. Harrison last night was in 10+ formations before the half. Huge playbook and it's tough to prepare for a team who will come at you in so many ways. When you go into a season with a tiny playbook and you really struggle it's shooting yourself in the foot. I know Vilonia has the athletes to do well but I do not believe this offense suits that team and their players.

Jimmymack

Grill,  Did you happen to see Pulaski Academy on ESPNU last night?!

How much would it take to get Kevin Kelly to leave PA? 

PA Dad

Quote from: Jimmymack on September 16, 2017, 11:38:48 am
Grill,  Did you happen to see Pulaski Academy on ESPNU last night?!

How much would it take to get Kevin Kelly to leave PA?

Just ask him!

Jimmymack

September 16, 2017, 12:48:57 pm #4 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:16:00 pm by Jimmymack
He must be happy at PA I assume

InYoGrill

I did not watch PA but wow what synergy they have.  Kelly to Vilonia.  I like that. Maybe use the mileage the school is trying to pass to build a new school and fund Kelly's salary ?? That won't pass but it would be nice to get a Kelly. 

sevenof400

I just hope PantherBlue stays away from this thread.....

Not that this is going to make you feel better Grill, but realize it is going to get far darker before things clear up in Vilonia when you consider the classification changes coming in 18-20.     

InYoGrill

I don't think I have seen those coming changes. How will it affect Vilonia?

InYoGrill

September 16, 2017, 06:13:27 pm #8 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:20:58 pm by InYoGrill
BTW- from watching some of the live streaming of the first couple games, it seems the young men are acting better than some of the previous teams. I watched some post game from the stream last night and the young men carried themselves very well and still seemed very upbeat about things considering the outcomes of the games. That's a good win in my book.

hogsfan4life

I don't understand why in the world he was hired to begin with. Terrible hire.

Big Prof.91

As far as non football sports goe, Vilonia is going to have a rougher conference, but football is staying pretty much the same isn't it?

sevenof400

Quote from: hogsfan4life on September 16, 2017, 06:19:57 pm
I don't understand why in the world he was hired to begin with. Terrible hire.

I don't know that it is fair to conclude this when one considers where the program was at the end of Coach Stanley's time as head coach.  I do agree with the idea that a younger head coach would have been a better choice given that this situation is increasingly looking like a long term solution is going to be required.

sevenof400

September 17, 2017, 07:15:13 am #12 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:54:17 am by sevenof400
Quote from: Big Prof.91 on September 16, 2017, 09:18:28 pm
As far as non football sports goe, Vilonia is going to have a rougher conference, but football is staying pretty much the same isn't it?

That is correct, but given that Vilonia is NOT growing at present (and really has not done so in the recent past), they are losing ground.  The tornadoes certainly didn't help things here, but overall business hasn't grown either and Vilonia still can't seem to get any traction on attracting new businesses to the area. 

The issues Vilonia currently face are not going to be solved quickly or easily.  As an aside, the results of the millage proposal on Tuesday will be interesting.

InYoGrill

September 17, 2017, 01:58:26 pm #13 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:35:34 pm by InYoGrill
Quote from: sevenof400 on September 17, 2017, 07:15:13 am
That is correct, but given that Vilonia is NOT growing at present (and really has not done so in the recent past), they are losing ground.  The tornadoes certainly didn't help things here, but overall business hasn't grown either and Vilonia still can't seem to get any traction on attracting new businesses to the area. 

The issues Vilonia currently face are not going to be solved quickly or easily.  As an aside, the results of the millage proposal on Tuesday will be interesting.

The millage is a huge deal for the town and school. It almost seems it is dividing the town with those for and against.  I served on the chamber board last year and I just don't see where the town is going to really get out of the economic hole that we are in. Was hoping the bypass would have added a lot more business after it opened but it hasn't turned out that way yet.

doggieskoot2

Called it a while back.  I gloated a bit and brought back the original post.

finishfull

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 17, 2017, 01:58:26 pm
The millage is a huge deal for the town and school. It almost seems it is dividing the town with those for and against.  I served on the chamber board last year and I just don't see where the town is going to really get out of the economic hole that we are in. Was hoping the bypass would have added a lot more business after it opened but it hasn't turned out that way yet.

IYG, first thank you for your service! I don't mean to hijack this thread but since the millage was mentioned, I am finding a lot of conflicting information about it.  Even the last millage was very controversial. I am hearing student numbers are going down (as mentioned earlier in the thread),  And the millage only affects people/businesses in the city limit, which is a small percentage of the total school district. I would be more willing to vote for it, if everyone in the school district had the same amount of skin in the game and the track record of how the school does business was on the up and up.

BigTimeFan!1

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 17, 2017, 07:02:50 am
I don't know that it is fair to conclude this when one considers where the program was at the end of Coach Stanley's time as head coach.  I do agree with the idea that a younger head coach would have been a better choice given that this situation is increasingly looking like a long term solution is going to be required.

If I remember right, the eagles made the playoffs the year following Stanley leaving....interim head coach that had a record number of players on the roster.  They only won 5 games last year and won't be able to reach that number this year.  sounds like the program is headed downhill.

hogsfan4life

Quote from: BigTimeFan!1 on September 18, 2017, 11:52:54 am
If I remember right, the eagles made the playoffs the year following Stanley leaving....interim head coach that had a record number of players on the roster.  They only won 5 games last year and won't be able to reach that number this year.  sounds like the program is headed downhill.

Yes the interim coach (who is still on staff) would be a far better choice long term.

sevenof400

And not surprisingly, the millage proposal is defeated.  I have not come across vote totals yet but I did see a thank you for your effort message from the Superintendent. 

BigTimeFan!1

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 20, 2017, 10:56:09 am
And not surprisingly, the millage proposal is defeated.  I have not come across vote totals yet but I did see a thank you for your effort message from the Superintendent.

sounds like it was close to a 2 to 1 majority against the vote....around 700 for and almost 1200 against.   ???

Marblehog

Show me a town that won't pass a millage and I'll show you a town in serious trouble

InYoGrill

Quote from: Marblehog on September 22, 2017, 02:31:38 pm
Show me a town that won't pass a millage and I'll show you a town in serious trouble

Just from what I have picked up from FB chatter and around town many of the folks against the hike are older and don't have children in the school system. Which is natural I guess. I live between conway and Vilonia and I had no dog in this fight because my kids are all grown    I support the schools because they did a good job with my kids and yes I should have voted but I did not vote against it.  A few hundred dollars in property taxes is a lot of money but I would have been okay to have paid it annually from the mil hike because it would have benefitted the future of Vilonia which is the kids.   No one that gripes about lack of businesss and future town improvements and  extras should be talking if they voted against the hike. Vilonia will always be what it is because of those that voted against the millage    Sometimes you got to spend money to make it up in other areas to make the quality of life better.  Play ball, well when do the track kids start competing   Lol

STBruin

Did Vilonia have to forfeit their win againast GCT? Thought I saw that somewhere today.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: STBruin on September 22, 2017, 03:27:42 pm
Did Vilonia have to forfeit their win againast GCT? Thought I saw that somewhere today.

It is entered on MaxPreps as a forfeit for Vilonia.  I haven't heard anything as to what caused the forfeiture...

pantherblue

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on September 22, 2017, 06:47:11 pm
Vilonia has a football team?!!

The infidel has spoken blasphemy.  Shame you wretched blue skin catfish

pantherblue

Oh grill ol buddy of mine. Time to buy a Greenbrier sweatshirt buddy. 

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on September 22, 2017, 07:39:06 pm
Oh grill ol buddy of mine. Time to buy a Greenbrier sweatshirt buddy.

Neva.   Buddy

InYoGrill

News flash!!  Just heard V had to forfeit the first game win against GCT.

pantherblue

P.F.G.

42-0 but man I'm just glad we don't have to see that option anymore. I don't understand why they continue to run it even after changing coaching staffs.

Central AR

I see no reason to run that offense down by 3 possessions. If you get Vilonia down by 14 you've already won the game. I don't think they have over 20 plays on that play book.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Central AR on September 22, 2017, 09:58:22 pm
I see no reason to run that offense down by 3 possessions. If you get Vilonia down by 14 you've already won the game. I don't think they have over 20 plays on that play book.

Game was UGLY for V! I don't see why we can't compete. Strong numbers on sidelines, good size, soft non conference schedule, nice looking helmets -lol, etc... Big questions need to be answered at end of the season.

Go Postal

Goblin says, "Don't worry Grill, they could maybe beat Morrilton or Harrison as long as I know that Pluto is a planet". 

Devil Dog whispers in the Goblin's ear.

Goblin says, "Wait, WHAT DO YOU MEAN PLUTO IS NOT A PLANET ANYMORE!  er, Grill, nevermind."

The Devil Dog and Goblin roll on the floor laughing....

vtown1

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on September 22, 2017, 04:16:53 pm
It is entered on MaxPreps as a forfeit for Vilonia.  I haven't heard anything as to what caused the forfeiture...
We played an ineligible player in the game. It was GPA related. Now, my question is this, how does it take the head coach until the 3rd week of the football season to finally figure out that a player had too low of a GPA LAST SPRING SEMESTER?

STBruin

I know some aren't happy with the hire, but what about the AD and counselor????

vtown1

Quote from: STBruin on September 23, 2017, 10:17:25 am
I know some aren't happy with the hire, but what about the AD and counselor????
I don't disagree with what you are saying here, however, I would venture a guess that you don't know the whole story, and not just referring to this one incident.

beach bum

Quote from: InYoGrill on September 22, 2017, 02:45:18 pm
Just from what I have picked up from FB chatter and around town many of the folks against the hike are older and don't have children in the school system. Which is natural I guess. I live between conway and Vilonia and I had no dog in this fight because my kids are all grown    I support the schools because they did a good job with my kids and yes I should have voted but I did not vote against it.  A few hundred dollars in property taxes is a lot of money but I would have been okay to have paid it annually from the mil hike because it would have benefitted the future of Vilonia which is the kids.   No one that gripes about lack of businesss and future town improvements and  extras should be talking if they voted against the hike. Vilonia will always be what it is because of those that voted against the millage    Sometimes you got to spend money to make it up in other areas to make the quality of life better.  Play ball, well when do the track kids start competing   Lol

This is probably one of the most sensible things I have read on fearless before.... Well thought response and analysis in my book.

STBruin

Quote from: vtown1 on September 23, 2017, 10:37:01 am
I don't disagree with what you are saying here, however, I would venture a guess that you don't know the whole story, and not just referring to this one incident.

I don't know the whole story at all...just from reading this post, you can tell many are not happy with the hire...and eligibility, I would think has to come from somewhere...

InYoGrill

September 23, 2017, 03:39:43 pm #39 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:42:21 pm by InYoGrill
The eligibility thing is a real brain scratcher and just down right incompetent. How many months from end of last years grades till first game of the season? At least 2+ months to ensure you are playing with eligible players??? That should have been checked and rechecked by at least a couple of people.
Again comes from the top down. This current team looks out of place with broken assignments, very very little emotion on the sideline from the head coach, other coaches, most players, the stands are almost dead silent, the band plays very little except during the half time show. I can't even tell who the head coach is ??????????? What does he look like??????? I scanned the sidelines from the top of the bleachers and still couldn't pick him out. At least Stanley was in the middle of the play of action and him being a BIG OAK tree, it was easy to see his presence and he yelled a lot. LOL!

I talked to several boosters, former players/parents, and administrators last night and there was a lot of head shaking going on last night.

I am at a loss with words. We did not look competitive at all. In fact it seemed like a practice session from the V side of view. Alma has owned us since the early West days but usually in the past games we hung tough at half and sometimes into the 4th quarter. Past teams knew Alma was one of the big dogs along with Greenwood but we always expected to give them a tough game each season.

InYoGrill

Quote from: beach bum on September 23, 2017, 10:53:29 am
This is probably one of the most sensible things I have read on fearless before.... Well thought response and analysis in my book.

Thanks BB! sometimes the truth rings loud. For a good quiet town that has gone through 2 brutal tornados worth of rebuilding, you just hope the best for the town, school, and most importantly all the kids and their families.

pantherblue

I really hope Vilonia can turn this around and become competitive again soon...

sevenof400

Quote from: pantherblue on September 25, 2017, 10:32:46 am
I really hope Vilonia can turn this around and become competitive again soon...

I agree - because being down here with Greenbrier is no fun at all.

Track and baseball coming soon, PB!

pantherblue

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 25, 2017, 11:05:16 am
I agree - because being down here with Greenbrier is no fun at all.

Track and baseball coming soon, PB!

Greenbrier hasn't lost to a 4A school in several years... just sayin'...   LOL!!

Almahasbeen

Just an outsider looking in here. But what I noticed for sure friday night was a talented QB #14 that can play and can obviously run... But as I watched, that kid looked defeated... that's not what you wanna see. I hope the coach caught that and encouraged him.

Eaglefan70

Vilonia is just an undisciplined football team.  The last athletic director they had coasted into retirement and i've heard people are unhappy with their field house and field.  This program will take 5-10 years to rebuild and the coach they hired was more than likely a bad decision.  They really just need to wipe the slate clean and start over.  They just dropped 14,000 on a new tunnel for them to run out of.  I hear they have somewhere around 100 players?? The millage would put them in the top 10 schools in state to receive millage but they don't even use what they have now correctly. 

InYoGrill

Quote from: Eaglefan70 on September 25, 2017, 12:48:40 pm
Vilonia is just an undisciplined football team.  The last athletic director they had coasted into retirement and i've heard people are unhappy with their field house and field.  This program will take 5-10 years to rebuild and the coach they hired was more than likely a bad decision.  They really just need to wipe the slate clean and start over.  They just dropped 14,000 on a new tunnel for them to run out of.  I hear they have somewhere around 100 players?? The millage would put them in the top 10 schools in state to receive millage but they don't even use what they have now correctly.

Eaglefan,  good points.  Though the tunnel did cost what you said and I couldn't believe it when I heard about it Friday night but it wasn't paid for by the school.  It was paid for by the booster club from what one of the members told me. The booster club has bought a lot of nice things the program hasn't had before but I'm hearing the program isn't really taking as good appreciation as they should for the support they are getting from folks like the booster club.  Seems to be mis managed as you are indicating.  It seems like they have 70-80 players which is incredible and exciting but if you don't win many games that could drop off quickly.  Just so many question marks starting with the Board and AD to decide which direction to go in.  Again I couldn't tell from a leadership perspective who the head coach was at the game Friday.   He didn't stick out one bit near the sidelines or play of action.

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on September 25, 2017, 11:06:37 am
Greenbrier hasn't lost to a 4A school in several years... just sayin'...   LOL!!

Darn you blue panther. Lol! I was hating to hear from you on those losses to the 4A ville programs. If we lose to Clarksville. Well oh brother. I will log off for the rest of the season , maybe.  :'(

Get your jabs in swag nutter. Gb will be right there in the pit with us this season.

WTD

What does Vilonia's offseason and summer program look like? Does Vilonia do many 7 on 7's or team camps during the summer. Offseason and summer is when teams are built in my opinion...

InYoGrill

Quote from: WTD on September 25, 2017, 04:55:04 pm
What does Vilonia's offseason and summer program look like? Does Vilonia do many 7 on 7's or team camps during the summer. Offseason and summer is when teams are built in my opinion...

Can't speak for the past 5 years when my oldest son was in the program since 7th grade. Camps under Stanley were common at OBU, with J'ville, Central, some good larger size schools. 7 on 7 was hit and miss (really could have helped V's pass D) and usually with smaller schools. Anyone with knowledge currently care to expound on what they do now.

My son was never big on how the team lifted back then. He is real close to having his doctorate in physical therapy from the U of Miami, FL. so he knows a little about the workout part of programs.  The field house and indoor practice area is archaic to say the least or WAS when I was in it couple years ago. I heard that this past pre season was very light on amount of practicing and being in pads. Again anyone in the program, please add what you know.

But yes WTD, you are right about where teams grow the most in the summer and off season. I have several friends who have kids in the Greenwood program. They tell me it mind blowing how much their kids grow and develop their bodies, toughness, and team cohesion during these times. Even their non starters look like men in pads than most schools SR starters. Their last 15 years or so of dominance speak loudly!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas