• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Waldron Getting Turf?

Started by nastynice, July 06, 2017, 07:11:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nastynice

Had a Bulldog school board member tell me they were getting turf this year. Any truth to this? This could be old news, idk, I haven't been keeping up with much lately.

OLDSCHOOL82

Yep..they are working on it now.

Jimbo Morphis

Someone should start a thread about Waldron getting better.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on July 06, 2017, 12:09:33 pm
Someone should start a thread about Waldron getting better.

Is this part of the on the road to success deal?

beach bum

Honestly, something like this is huge particularly for a town and program like Waldron. Good for them...

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on July 06, 2017, 12:10:53 pm
Is this part of the on the road to success deal?

25 pages and running.... something like that.

Gray lizard

By the time they get back in the 7-4A they will dominate.

I am not a big fan of turf.  I am afraid schools will start finding out in a few years the real cost of these turf fields.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Gray lizard on July 06, 2017, 01:36:50 pm

I am not a big fan of turf.  I am afraid schools will start finding out in a few years the real cost of these turf fields.

I like natural grass as well.  But, we are almost 20 years into schools in Arkansas having turf.  Never heard any regret the decision.

Gray lizard

What about all the washing machine damage and cleaning the kids rooms from all that black stuff in their shoes and clothes. Then you have the added heat exhaustion, and advanced sole wear on shoes along with the extra wear on socks.
Just kidding. I am kind of old school too.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Gray lizard on July 06, 2017, 01:36:50 pm

I know it saves money for some schools on mowing and chemicals. How many of those schools won't save that money  for when they have to replace the turf in 10-12 years?

Mr. Mercer

Cleaning up turf beads is no different than cleaning up grass, dirt and mud. Also save money on watering. Not every school has parks and rec or volunteers to mow and paint. Gives the coaches more time to be with family or coaching. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on July 08, 2017, 11:25:37 am
Cleaning up turf beads is no different than cleaning up grass, dirt and mud. Also save money on watering. Not every school has parks and rec or volunteers to mow and paint. Gives the coaches more time to be with family or coaching. 
How much would a school spend per year on watering
A field?

Oldbadger

There is no way to financially justify turf.  I think it is great because it allows all-weather use of the field and prevents years when heavy rains have a devastating impact on football playoffs.  We all remember those.  The weather on a grass field is the great equalizer.  But, as I was saying, you cannot justify a turf field financially.  You can water a long time and pay some one to mow and paint the field for thousands less.

~WPS~

Many schools are able to get sponsors to pay for most or all of the turf cost, so little to no money is actually spent by the school. Of course this isn't the case everywhere.

GuvHog

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 06, 2017, 01:53:19 pm
I like natural grass as well.  But, we are almost 20 years into schools in Arkansas having turf.  Never heard any regret the decision.

Yeah, the number of schools switching from grass to Turf really increased after that year when it rained all most all season and the boys were playing in almost knee deep mud on some of the fields. It seems like I remember there being a lot of injuries due to field conditions that year and that prompted the change for many schools.

Okieback

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2017, 10:52:00 am
Yeah, the number of schools switching from grass to Turf really increased after that year when it rained all most all season and the boys were playing in almost knee deep mud on some of the fields. It seems like I remember there being a lot of injuries due to field conditions that year and that prompted the change for many schools.

And the cost to repair a grass field after all that rain, I heard some were quoted 50,000 to get it playable and safe, I think it cost about 25-30g to drop dress and redo also.  And if u want a nice field that's once every 5 years, sometimes more if u have really let it go and trenches, holes , and just flat out dead spots have happened.

Back to Waldron, didn't they want turf 10 years ago but the school was paying a nice stipend to the coach to keep it maintained? So the coach said no?  That's the rumor I heard.

RZback

Quote from: Oldbadger on July 08, 2017, 12:19:29 pm
There is no way to financially justify turf.  I think it is great because it allows all-weather use of the field and prevents years when heavy rains have a devastating impact on football playoffs.  We all remember those.  The weather on a grass field is the great equalizer.  But, as I was saying, you cannot justify a turf field financially.  You can water a long time and pay some one to mow and paint the field for thousands less.

I think you are probably correct on justifying the cost of turf in pure dollars, although the practical side of having a field always ready to play on is great.  I don't know that weather on the field is that much of an equalizer, can you explain your view?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Okieback on July 24, 2017, 10:38:38 am
And the cost to repair a grass field after all that rain, I heard some were quoted 50,000 to get it playable and safe, I think it cost about 25-30g to drop dress and redo also.  And if u want a nice field that's once every 5 years, sometimes more if u have really let it go and trenches, holes , and just flat out dead spots have happened.

Back to Waldron, didn't they want turf 10 years ago but the school was paying a nice stipend to the coach to keep it maintained? So the coach said no?  That's the rumor I heard.
Someone is making a lot of money redoing grass fields where you live. Some crooked dealings happening there.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Okieback on July 24, 2017, 10:38:38 am

Your numbers are skewed a bit I believe.  A few years back we had the game field and a practice field re crowned, new sprigs placed on the game field and 2 practice fields, and a new sprinkler system for all three with an automatic controller installed for under 40k.  Once every five years?  The old crown on the game field lasted 20+ years. 

tmycjy

Any picture of the stadium and turf

FootBallar21

Is Waldron getting turf so the opponents can run up and down the field faster and score more points , to enforce the mercy rule sooner,  thus getting everyone home sooner!  Its a Win Win!

Oldbadger

Quote from: RZback on July 24, 2017, 03:46:31 pm
I think you are probably correct on justifying the cost of turf in pure dollars, although the practical side of having a field always ready to play on is great.  I don't know that weather on the field is that much of an equalizer, can you explain your view?
When the field is muddy or under a couple of inches of water a big, slow team, who is more of a running team, has a better chance to stay with a fast team.  If it is pouring down rain, a passing team is at a disadvantage when opposed by a running team.  I recall a couple of years ago, and I actually don't remember the teams, when several teams were upset during the playoffs. These occurred when most of the games were either played in stormy or rainy weather, or a muddy field.  Other posters can probably give examples.

RZback

Wouldn't both teams be slowed by the adverse field conditions? Here's my take. If it slows one it slows the other.  Rain is really more of a mental thing, if the passing team works with wet balls during practice.  Plus, the offense knows the routes and if they run them clean then the defense has a problem defending them.  Ive seen some of the better passing teams play over the years, and it didn't seem to bother them or the outcome when they had to play wet.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: Oldbadger on July 28, 2017, 10:24:53 pm
When the field is muddy or under a couple of inches of water a big, slow team, who is more of a running team, has a better chance to stay with a fast team.  If it is pouring down rain, a passing team is at a disadvantage when opposed by a running team.  I recall a couple of years ago, and I actually don't remember the teams, when several teams were upset during the playoffs. These occurred when most of the games were either played in stormy or rainy weather, or a muddy field.  Other posters can probably give examples.
Pea Ridge CAC from 2 years ago comes to mind. Pea Ridge upset them 3-0 in overtime.

~WPS~

Quote from: RZback on July 28, 2017, 10:50:35 pm
Wouldn't both teams be slowed by the adverse field conditions? Here's my take. If it slows one it slows the other.  Rain is really more of a mental thing, if the passing team works with wet balls during practice.  Plus, the offense knows the routes and if they run them clean then the defense has a problem defending them.  Ive seen some of the better passing teams play over the years, and it didn't seem to bother them or the outcome when they had to play wet.
If one team is already slow then rain probably isn't going to make them any slower like it would a team full of speed.

OLDSCHOOL82

To the several previous posts.  Champions win.  Simple fact.  Sure, the weather has assisted in some upsets in high school football, but champions do whats needed and win.  Can someone honestly say so and so didn't win their respective classifications state championship due to weather?

cuckoobird

There are lots of teams that can't play in any kind of weather

OLDSCHOOL82

jbtiger73

Oldbadger

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 01, 2017, 08:31:45 am
To the several previous posts.  Champions win.  Simple fact.  Sure, the weather has assisted in some upsets in high school football, but champions do whats needed and win.  Can someone honestly say so and so didn't win their respective classifications state championship due to weather?
Someone from Warren help me out here.  Did the weather have any part of Warren losing to Booneville 14 to 12 in 2013 when the weather was so bad the whole playoffs?  I didn't see the game but it seems that was the case.  Someone elaborate on this.  I know they were on turf but Warren was a passing team for the most part and Booneville was a running team almost entirely.

Oldbadger

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Oldbadger on August 02, 2017, 09:07:08 pm
Someone from Warren help me out here.  Did the weather have any part of Warren losing to Booneville 14 to 12 in 2013 when the weather was so bad the whole playoffs?  I didn't see the game but it seems that was the case.  Someone elaborate on this.  I know they were on turf but Warren was a passing team for the most part and Booneville was a running team almost entirely.

Im not a warren buy, but IMO the rain/lightning delays actually helped warren out.  Booneville went up 14-0 and warren was letting down some.  Then, the first long lightning delay occurred. 

Romeo

August 03, 2017, 10:41:01 am #32 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:46:26 am by Romeo
Booneville shutdown our running game in the first half. Our running back at the time was playing injured so the long delay probably helped with his recovery. Our running game picked up huge in the second half. We also dropped several catches. We dropped at least two catches that should have been touchdowns.

AirWarren

August 03, 2017, 11:15:20 am #33 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:20:03 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Oldbadger on August 02, 2017, 09:07:08 pm

Warren not capitalizing on routine pass/catch is why Warren lost. Booneville just played a better, more patient game.

PrivateLesson

I heard it's going to cost around $800,000.   Should be a great addition to already a Mulit-Million dollar stadium.   Not set to be complete until September if I heard correctly. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 07, 2017, 05:53:05 pm
I heard it's going to cost around $800,000.   Should be a great addition to already a Mulit-Million dollar stadium.   Not set to be complete until September if I heard correctly. 
Nice of you to donate that money.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Oldman on August 07, 2017, 07:44:19 pm
Nice of you to donate that money.

Lol!  How are you, Oldman? 

And....Nope.   I married for love not money and that's what is kind of surprising...the money wasn't donated that I know of.  Waldrons School Board approved the turf.   I'm kinda surprised that a 4a school could have such resources considering that Walmart, who I heard grossed around $16 million??,  closed recently.   

Maybe someone knows for certain if Waldron received any type of donation or sponsorship from businesses to help offset the cost?

OLDSCHOOL82

PrivateLesson

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 08, 2017, 08:09:44 am
^ Ever heard of Tyson?

Indeed.    Did Tyson donate the money?   

Tyson certainly brings revenue to Scott Co...but I can't believe that the money from Walmart won't be missed?

OLDSCHOOL82

^ Not sure what they gave towards the turf but they had their hand in most all of the other improvements.  Not just the football stadium.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 08, 2017, 09:01:02 am
^ Not sure what they gave towards the turf but they had their hand in most all of the other improvements.  Not just the football stadium.

So they'll have chicken strips at the concession stand I assume?

FootBallar21

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 07, 2017, 08:06:39 pm
Lol!  How are you, Oldman? 

And....Nope.   I married for love not money and that's what is kind of surprising...the money wasn't donated that I know of.  Waldrons School Board approved the turf.   I'm kinda surprised that a 4a school could have such resources considering that Walmart, who I heard grossed around $16 million??,  closed recently.   

Maybe someone knows for certain if Waldron received any type of donation or sponsorship from businesses to help offset the cost?

Yeah I know the bearcat foundation had to raise half or more of the money for Mena to get turf a few years back and it was a big deal and took a couple of seasons!   

PrivateLesson

Waldron's New Turf looks awesome from the pics I seen on Twitter.   

FootBallar21

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 30, 2017, 09:53:55 am
Waldron's New Turf looks awesome from the pics I seen on Twitter.   

where are the pictures why not share them with all of us?     smh

PrivateLesson

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: FootBallar21 on August 31, 2017, 01:08:34 pm

where are the pictures why not share them with all of us?     smh
Send some of the field also.

cuckoobird

PrivateLesson

Lol!   Y'all behave!!   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas