• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A West - 2017

Started by AT, June 14, 2017, 11:24:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

June 14, 2017, 11:24:09 am Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:46:49 pm by Almatrackster
With the schedules released let's talk about each team:

First, I'll list the 5A West schedule and organize it week by week instead of team by team

September 22nd
Alma @ Vilonia
Clarksville @ Farmington
Maumelle @ Greenbrier
Morrilton @ Harrison

September 29th
Farmington @ Alma
Harrison @ Clarksville
Greenbrier @ Morrilton
Vilonia @ Maumelle

October 6th
Morrilton @ Alma
Clarksville @ Maumelle
Farmington @ Greenbrier
Harrison @ Vilonia

October 13th'
Alma @ Clarksville
Vilonia @ Farmington
Greenbrier @ Harrison
Maumelle @ Morrilton

October 20th
Alma @ Harrison
Clarksville @ Greenbrier
Maumelle @ Farmington
Morrilton @ Vilonia

October 27th
Greenbrier @ Alma
Vilonia @ Clarksville
Farmington @ Morrilton
Harrison @ Maumelle

November 2nd/3rd
Maumelle @ Alma
Clarksville @ Morrilton
Farmington @ Harrison
Greenbrier @ Vilonia

Toughest Conference Game For Alma
In my opinion, it will be going to the improving, young Harrison team's turf on October 20th. Morrilton would be the easy answer here, but I like getting them at home with both teams having to replace a lot.

Toughest Stretch for Alma
The last 3 games of the year: @ Harrison, vs. Greenbrier, vs. Maumelle

Thoughts on Conference Schedule
I'll go ahead and say I think Alma has an optimal conference schedule. Your annual toughest opponents are at home while most of your fringe playoff, not traditionally good football teams are being played on the road, with the exception of Harrison who Alma has beaten pretty well these past two years.

Prediction for Alma
I think Alma wins 6 of the 7. I think one loss could very well happen. @ Harrison sticks out once again, but Alma has beat Harrison anywhere from 20-40 points the last three times we've played them, but this does seem to be a year where Harrison plays Alma tough. Morrilton at home is not a guaranteed win just because it's at home, but I do think Alma will want redemption pretty bad and the home crowd will feed the Airedales.

Trap game for Alma?
How about the first conference game of the year by going to Vilonia. They gave Alma a tough go last year and this time it's being played at Alma. Alma will have come off playing a big rival in Greenwood and will know Morrilton is just a few weeks away. Vilonia will want to start off the conference slate with a bang.

The Future

I agree with the trap game in Vilonia. Especially on the slight slight chance if Alma happens to beat Greenwood. That would be quite the party in Airedale Nation and hangover, the kids let it, it could spell issues for the conference opener the following week if they are still emotionally spent. Vilonia can take advantages of miscues and mistakes.

AT

Quote from: The Future on June 14, 2017, 06:50:15 pm
I agree with the trap game in Vilonia. Especially on the slight slight chance if Alma happens to beat Greenwood. That would be quite the party in Airedale Nation and hangover, the kids let it, it could spell issues for the conference opener the following week if they are still emotionally spent. Vilonia can take advantages of miscues and mistakes.

Wouldn't that be something? Completely shock everyone by beating Greenwood and then lose your first conference game.

Vilonia seems to always play Alma tough for a quarter or a half. Alma tends to open it up later in the game, but there have been a few near misses with the Eagles over the years.

The game I'm looking forward to the most (as of now) that doesn't involve Alma:

Morrilton @ Harrison - Week 1 of Conference Play. What a way to start conference.

PrivateLesson

Alma must be looking forward to the FS Southside scrimmage coming up, eh??   

Overdahill

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 07, 2017, 05:54:44 pm
Alma must be looking forward to the FS Southside scrimmage coming up, eh??

I think Alma runs the table in conference play

PrivateLesson

That would be awesome!   Alma certainly has dedicated players and coaches.   

Any certain standouts to look for this year?    I seen on twitter that Brayden Johnson is raking in offers for multiple sports. 

AT

Yes, Alma has the Southside scrimmage in about two weeks time. They will have the Green/Gold scrimmage this Friday I believe? Might be the next one.

AT

I think Garrison Jensen, Nathan Alexander, Brayden Johnson, and Tanner Shelton are the names to look for. Others for sure that I'm doing a disservice by not listing here, but those come to mind quickly.

Go Postal

Week 3 @ LRCA and Week 4 vs Motown will be good games to help us gauge what the Goblins might be able to do this season

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Go Postal on August 07, 2017, 08:45:55 pm
Week 3 @ LRCA and Week 4 vs Motown will be good games to help us gauge what the Goblins might be able to do this season

Might?   Since when is the word "might" in the goblins vocabulary, Postal?  :)

Where are all the Devil Dog posters? 

Deuceswild

I think Maumelle may very well upset a few... i don't see any team running the table this year in the 5A west. Each team has its own set of talents, whether it's coaching, speed, power, game plan. This again will be a tight race. Hopefully We can represent the state a little better in the playoffs this year. Knowing that Alma and Motown is regrouping more than normal, makes it even crazier. Much respect for both teams but I feel they both will be stunned bad by one team. But with the coaching they have, I bet it won't happen more than once for each. Harrison will have to show they can compete with the best much more than last year, but I can tell they are Hungry, Talented and Deeper than previous years. Greenbrier always has offense, they will take chances and if they cash in they too will look good on paper. Their defense will likely be avg but they are fun to watch when they have the ball. Maumelle hung with a lot of teams last year and may be the under the radar team of the west. They have talent but not sure how deep. Vilonia, Farmington and Clarksville, likely will all be playing for upsets and all are capable but probably will lack the consistency needed to compete every week. But I haven't read much on any of them so I will just go with what I hear. Always remember, every team will deal with injuries, adverse weather, long travel routes. All things can change the complexity in a heartbeat. But let's pray our young men stay healthy and shine when it matters. Good Luck this season and this might be my last "nice" post, getting too close to season, I can already smell them bombers from 70 miles away.

Go Postal

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 08, 2017, 08:09:23 am
Might?   Since when is the word "might" in the goblins vocabulary, Postal?  :)

Where are all the Devil Dog posters?
Got to keep Alma guessing what we "might" have up our sleeve this season.

Go Postal

August 08, 2017, 12:29:28 pm #12 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:13:21 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Deuceswild on August 08, 2017, 09:26:10 am
I think Maumelle may very well upset a few... i don't see any team running the table this year in the 5A west. Each team has its own set of talents, whether it's coaching, speed, power, game plan. This again will be a tight race. Hopefully We can represent the state a little better in the playoffs this year. Knowing that Alma and Motown is regrouping more than normal, makes it even crazier. Much respect for both teams but I feel they both will be stunned bad by one team. But with the coaching they have, I bet it won't happen more than once for each. Harrison will have to show they can compete with the best much more than last year, but I can tell they are Hungry, Talented and Deeper than previous years. Greenbrier always has offense, they will take chances and if they cash in they too will look good on paper. Their defense will likely be avg but they are fun to watch when they have the ball. Maumelle hung with a lot of teams last year and may be the under the radar team of the west. They have talent but not sure how deep. Vilonia, Farmington and Clarksville, likely will all be playing for upsets and all are capable but probably will lack the consistency needed to compete every week. But I haven't read much on any of them so I will just go with what I hear. Always remember, every team will deal with injuries, adverse weather, long travel routes. All things can change the complexity in a heartbeat. But let's pray our young men stay healthy and shine when it matters. Good Luck this season and this might be my last "nice" post, getting too close to season, I can already smell them bombers from 70 miles away.
Well said. 
That might be me you smell, Mtn Home class of '75.  Been spending years trying to get that righteous Goblin perfume to cover up the Bombers scent.  LOL.  Always love watching those two teams play.

Deuceswild

Aww Thanks Postal... that stench does get stronger on Industrial Park Rd now that u say something😂. I got a chance to go to several team camps this year and see some athletes from several different schools. A lot of respect for these young men working their butts off all summer long. It was one of my favorite father/son things to do ever. To other fathers of the underclass men, I totally recommend you take your kids to college summer camps. It's a great way to be seen, but more importantly, it's a great way to learn. I learned so much, I wanted to play this year, but at 42, it ain't happening😂

AT

I tend to agree with Deuces. I don't think a 5A West team runs the table. I think we'll see some competitiveness, but I don't know how the West represents in the State Playoffs.

the voice

Morrilton could easily be better than last year. They ran the table in conference and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they did again. Not a guarantee by any means, they lost some yes , but what they lost was replaced by equally if not more talent in some positions. The sophomores rolled up an undefeated record last year against alma greenbrier, Vilonia and a couple of 6a and 7a teams.  There's a reason why the top state college team has been visiting practices.

Alma will be tough as will Harrison and greenbrier. Much respect, morrilton always starts conference off with a tough stretch. Gonna be interesting , will know more after we play Conway in scrimmage.

AT

Morrilton is replacing a lot just like Alma...no way they are better in my opinion. A lot of potential there for sure.

QB, main receivers. Most skill positions, which is Morrilton's bread and butter.

the voice

You are entitled to your opinion. I respect that. Ive watched them and the coaches have said it.  No disrespect to previous qb but yeah we are as good there right now with tremendous upside, skill spots return all staters and others who will fill the void left by heidenrich and Duncan. Like I said the guys taking over most voids are as good with more upside.  Speed and skill to burn. This group is has far more than the last two years teams.
Well make for an exciting year. But yeah the youth could have growing pains   So maybe they don't run the table. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

AT

No doubt that Morrilton will have skill. I've heard how crazy good that junior high team was last year.

I think Morrilton will be a force to be reckoned with and a legit state title contender the next two years, but I think the youth will get them. We'll see. I'm just glad Alma gets Morrilton at home this year.

I do feel that junior high stock means very little when it comes to senior high. It can mean something, but Alma's had plenty of good junior high teams that have whooped up on Greenwood in 9th grade and those same teams haven't yet beat Greenwood.

Last year's Alma junior high team, the now sophomores, improved drastically towards the end of the year, even beating a good Greenwood team that beat them handily at the beginning of the year.

I'm excited for the Alma-Morrilton/Alma-Harrison games.

InYoGrill

I got one thing to say- The Eagles gonna get cha!

Grill

the voice

Quote from: InYoGrill on August 09, 2017, 09:20:51 am
I got one thing to say- The Eagles gonna get cha!

Grill

Is that all Grill ?  😂

Go Postal

I did glance at Hootens and I believe that this is the 1st time in a long time that they said that Harrison's strength was "Depth".  8). Returning 14 starters.  A dozen or so Seniors and a Sophomore class that went 10-0 undefeated last year with wins over Alma, Greenwood and Van Buren, to name a few.  I do like how Coach Wells has made improvements since he got here.  This and the next few years should be very exciting for the West fans and the Goblin fateful.  Let's get this football season kicked off in style!

Lumberjackfan1978

I'm ready to get it kicked off for sure

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on August 09, 2017, 07:04:38 pm
I did glance at Hootens and I believe that this is the 1st time in a long time that they said that Harrison's strength was "Depth".  8). Returning 14 starters.  A dozen or so Seniors and a Sophomore class that went 10-0 undefeated last year with wins over Alma, Greenwood and Van Buren, to name a few.  I do like how Coach Wells has made improvements since he got here.  This and the next few years should be very exciting for the West fans and the Goblin fateful.  Let's get this football season kicked off in style!

Postal, I've ranked Harrison in my top 10 in early season polls for the last two years and I've been disappointed.  I have them ranked in the top 10 again.  I really hope they come through this year.

Overdahill

Quote from: PA Dad on August 09, 2017, 10:09:44 pm
Postal, I've ranked Harrison in my top 10 in early season polls for the last two years and I've been disappointed.  I have them ranked in the top 10 again.  I really hope they come through this year.

sorry Postal, this may be the jinx you were hoping to avoid  ;)

AT

I do have some reservations about Harrison. I know some people have the same about Alma in terms of being a top 5 team.

But I really do think, really this time ;), that Coach Wells has them going in the right direction.

VHSCoach2

AT,

I just saw where Alma and Greenwood will not continue the football series in the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Any word on who Alma is playing to replace?

Overdahill

It be cool if PA could pick up Greenwood for a two year series

Yellowcake

Bottom line is this, the west is going to be a blast to watch this year, especially if Harrison finds a little bit if its past glory. Looking forward to it.

Devil Dog 17

The Sept 29th game between Greenbrier and Morrilton will be played at Morrilton.
[qTuote author=Almatrackster link=topic=151982.msg3482188#msg3482188 date=1497457449

With the schedules released let's talk about each team:

First, I'll list the 5A West schedule and organize it week by week instead of team by team

September 22nd
Alma @ Vilonia
Clarksville @ Farmington
Maumelle @ Greenbrier
Morrilton @ Harrison

September 29th
Farmington @ Alma
Harrison @ Clarksville
Morrilton @ Greenbrier
Vilonia @ Maumelle

October 6th
Morrilton @ Alma
Clarksville @ Maumelle
Farmington @ Greenbrier
Harrison @ Vilonia

October 13th'
Alma @ Clarksville
Vilonia @ Farmington
Greenbrier @ Harrison
Maumelle @ Morrilton

October 20th
Alma @ Harrison
Clarksville @ Greenbrier
Maumelle @ Farmington
Morrilton @ Vilonia

October 27th
Greenbrier @ Alma
Vilonia @ Clarksville
Farmington @ Morrilton
Harrison @ Maumelle

November 2nd/3rd
Maumelle @ Alma
Clarksville @ Morrilton
Farmington @ Harrison
Greenbrier @ Vilonia

Toughest Conference Game For Alma
In my opinion, it will be going to the improving, young Harrison team's turf on October 20th. Morrilton would be the easy answer here, but I like getting them at home with both teams having to replace a lot.

Toughest Stretch for Alma
The last 3 games of the year: @ Harrison, vs. Greenbrier, vs. Maumelle

Thoughts on Conference Schedule
I'll go ahead and say I think Alma has an optimal conference schedule. Your annual toughest opponents are at home while most of your fringe playoff, not traditionally good football teams are being played on the road, with the exception of Harrison who Alma has beaten pretty well these past two years.

Prediction for Alma
I think Alma wins 6 of the 7. I think one loss could very well happen. @ Harrison sticks out once again, but Alma has beat Harrison anywhere from 20-40 points the last three times we've played them, but this does seem to be a year where Harrison plays Alma tough. Morrilton at home is not a guaranteed win just because it's at home, but I do think Alma will want redemption pretty bad and the home crowd will feed the Airedales.

Trap game for Alma?
How about the first conference game of the year by going to Vilonia. They gave Alma a tough go last year and this time it's being played at Alma. Alma will have come off playing a big rival in Greenwood and will know Morrilton is just a few weeks away. Vilonia will want to start off the conference slate with a bang.
[/quote]

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Overdahill on August 13, 2017, 08:20:21 pm
It be cool if PA could pick up Greenwood for a two year series

PA and Har-Ber begin a 2 year series in 2018. Har-Ber hosts in week 0 in 2018 then PA hosts in 2019. Should be a couple of great games.

Overdahill

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on August 14, 2017, 05:13:20 pm
PA and Har-Ber begin a 2 year series in 2018. Har-Ber hosts in week 0 in 2018 then PA hosts in 2019. Should be a couple of great games.

Great news! thanks for the info

AT

Thanks, Devil Dog 17! I'll fix that.

Chief_Osceola™

After watching Maumelle scrimmage, I'm feeling cautiously confident about our team this year.  We have a lot of speed on defense in the secondary, good size and physicality up front and at the linebacker spots, a good combination of speed, size and hands at receiver, and a few backs that are home run threats.  We also have a good set of quarterbacks - one is maybe the fastest player on offense, two have cannons and can sling it around; however, one is out for a while with an arm injury.  I think the one point of concern going in was the offensive line, and there are still some question marks there, but if they are just decent we'll have a good year.  Oh, and since we have a great soccer program, we have an excellent kicker.

Go Postal

Harrison Goblins vs Berryville Bobcats benefit game live stream link on GobTV...

https://youtu.be/rDzvojDsKwA

AT

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on August 24, 2017, 01:52:49 pm
After watching Maumelle scrimmage, I'm feeling cautiously confident about our team this year.  We have a lot of speed on defense in the secondary, good size and physicality up front and at the linebacker spots, a good combination of speed, size and hands at receiver, and a few backs that are home run threats.  We also have a good set of quarterbacks - one is maybe the fastest player on offense, two have cannons and can sling it around; however, one is out for a while with an arm injury.  I think the one point of concern going in was the offensive line, and there are still some question marks there, but if they are just decent we'll have a good year.  Oh, and since we have a great soccer program, we have an excellent kicker.

It would be interesting if that last regular season game was for a 1 seed/conference championship.

Go Postal

The first part of the Harrison/Berryville game was a 10 play scrimmage for each team, doing that a few times so there was a lot of Sophmores being switched back and forth, getting their reps.  Harrison won the scrimmage 14-0 and were driving for another TD when we ran out of our final 10 plays.  Both TDs were initialized by two different QBs.

Then Harrison/Berryville started a real game, running 2 quarters.  Harrison won 21-7 in that half game.

We utilized a Senior and Sophomore QBs most of the game and had another Sophomore getting reps at the last part of the game.  Goblins scored with all 3 QBs.

We seem to have more speed this year with the addition of the Sophomores and they weren't afraid to hit and take a hit.  There were some 1st game mistakes but I think that overall the whole team seemed to gel with each other, no matter what class the player was from.

The running and passing game went very well and some of the plays surprised me on how well they were executed.

We used two different kickers and didn't have to punt, but I think that the Senior QB might be doing that.

The Offense and Defense did well and I can see them only doing better each game.

Like I said earlier, there was a lot of co-mingling of the Seniors, Juniors and Sophomores playing in this game so I'm not sure of who the Varsity team was but they played to win and that's what counted.  We will see next week on how the Goblins can play in a full game taking on their old rivals, the Mtn. Home Bombers.

PrivateLesson

Alma's been looking at The Battle Of The Bone Trophy....They Ready. 

Any word on Van Buren?     

I seen a few of Barclays tweets that said Alma had a new qb move in.   

Will he start?

Go Postal

Side note to my buddy, Steve Perry and other West fans that come to Goblin Stadium, it looks like they finally put in another 500 seats on the visitor's side for you.

PrivateLesson

Goblins are smarter than they look!  No more #seatgate!!   :)

PrivateLesson

Speaking of Steve Perry........Where is Steve???

PrivateLesson

vvvvvvvvvvvvv Harassing PA.....classic!  ;)

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on August 18, 2017, 11:13:34 am
Golly gee I hope so too  ::)

Go Postal

Quote from: PrivateLesson on August 26, 2017, 07:51:03 pm
Speaking of Steve Perry........Where is Steve???

Last time I saw him was in Greenwood watching the Bulldog slinging contest.

AT

Post-Week 1 observations?

Alma got the win, but question marks are still there.

Morrilton seems to be very solid still. Rville is a great win, but how great is it this year?

Harrison beat Mountain Home soundly. The Bombers aren't a great 6A team, but their culture has been improving. How good is this win?

Clarksville beating Lamar is always great for them. Will they carry that momentum this year?

Greenbrier has been beaten by subpar Beebe teams before and gone on to do well. Is that the case this year?

Farmington's loss to Prairie Grove isn't stunning, but I do wonder about that margin of defeat. Is PG a 4A title contender?

Tough to tell in Maumelle's case. They possibly played the best team in the state this year. Or at least a top 5 one.

GCT has been trying to improve their football culture, but is Vilonia pulling away late in that game make you wonder?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 04, 2017, 02:00:28 pm
Maumelle's case. They possibly played the best team in the state this year. Or at least a top 5 one.

NLR looks like the best team in the state. Hard to tell much about us from that game. The final score is a bit misleading too. It was a good game until just before halftime then the wheels fell off and they pulled away. They are very fast and physical across the board and we just didn't have the depth to keep up.

Deuceswild

Just going off the games that I watched and the outcomes of week 1(knowing this will change by the week). Here's my rankings:
1. Motown
2. Harrison
3. Alma
4. Maumelle
5. Vilonia
6. Greenbrier
7. Clarksville
8. Farmington

AT

Quote from: Deuceswild on September 04, 2017, 05:07:31 pm
Just going off the games that I watched and the outcomes of week 1(knowing this will change by the week). Here's my rankings:
1. Motown
2. Harrison
3. Alma
4. Maumelle
5. Vilonia
6. Greenbrier
7. Clarksville
8. Farmington

Good list, Deuces. I could see the whole triangle scenario coming into play between Alma-Morrilton-Harrison. I see it as Alma beating Morrilton, Harrison beating Alma, Morrilton beating Harrison.

But I could also see Maumelle and Greenbrier contending.

I know Greenbrier had a bad loss, but Tribble always has them play well in conference and I'm not sold on Vilonia just yet (Sorry IYG)

Deuceswild

Yeah it's still early but I am sticking with nobody running the table in the west. A handful of surprise wins for teams and coaches adjustments through the year will make it pretty exciting.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 04, 2017, 07:12:59 pm
Good list, Deuces. I could see the whole triangle scenario coming into play between Alma-Morrilton-Harrison. I see it as Alma beating Morrilton, Harrison beating Alma, Morrilton beating Harrison.

But I could also see Maumelle and Greenbrier contending.

I know Greenbrier had a bad loss, but Tribble always has them play well in conference and I'm not sold on Vilonia just yet (Sorry IYG)

Ha! You don't surprise me Trackster. Just like the rest of that Okie Dale gang. Sure miss Gwood being in conference. Yes, they would baby butt spank everyone in conference but I kinda miss stirring it up with the dawgpound posters. Especially that punk kid RD. Isnt he like 19 years old. Needs his butt whopped.  ;D ;D ;D

the voice

Quote from: Deuceswild on September 04, 2017, 07:33:50 pm
Yeah it's still early but I am sticking with nobody running the table in the west. A handful of surprise wins for teams and coaches adjustments through the year will make it pretty exciting.

Motown should be full strength by Searcy game. Best cover guy missed last week and will miss this week.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas