• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advantage?

Started by Batman44, May 10, 2017, 09:20:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman44

I confess, I'm not familiar with all the rules re pitchers, but, it would seem to me that all the teams that finished Monday would be at a great disadvantage against the teams that finished Saturday. That is, IF, the pitchers have to have so many days off between starts. Especially if those Monday finishers have used up their 1 and 2 pitchers. Just don't seem right.

southarkdaddy

AAA really messed some teams up on this one.  In the name of "fairness"

DoSimpleBetter

All regionals finished on Monday, since the AAA postponed all baseball (and softball) regionals last Thursday after the rain, meaning that all teams that are playing in state tournaments played their last game on Monday, since even the losers of semifinal games had to play a 3rd place game. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

southarkdaddy

You shouldn't have to play in the state tournament 3 days after you play in a championship game.  Simple, Common Sense.  If the AAA was going to push regionals back (when a lot of schools didn't even need them to be pushed back) then they should also push the state tournament back so that everyone is at full strength round 1

DoSimpleBetter

I highly disagree with your assertion that most schools didn't need regionals pushed back by a day. I don't know where you live, but everyone that I talked to got pounded by rain on Wednesday and would not have been able to play Thursday. Some regionals couldn't even start until Saturday and had to play semifinals and finals on Monday. I don't disagree with you that 3 days is a quick turnaround, but it's better for everyone to have the quick turnaround than for some regionals to have finished up on Saturday with others finishing on Monday. Everyone's on the same playing field, so you'll still figure out who the best teams are, IMO.

OB11

Coaching definitely becomes more of a factor when you have a quick turnaround like that. Managing pitch counts becomes a chess game.

BossHogs

Shut up and quit complaining. Odds are if you only have one good pitcher you're not going to make it past the second round anyway. You need three good pitchers to win a state championship.

southarkdaddy

It's not a level playing field if not everyone is full strength.  Plain and simple.  Big big boo boo by the AAA

T-Bone

I watch pitch count as much if not more than anyone.  It is very important.  The life of a young player's arm is not worth any school at any levels to get a win.  Just not worth it.  My son pitches more than I would like at times but he gets plenty of rest and does his bands and running to "help" protect his future.  No matter what you do you can never guarantee  a player will not get hurt.  Hopefully two games left for him to pitch in if we are fortunate to make it to State Championship.  Then he will be in showcase ball and they really watch the pitch count even more than in high school.  They limit the kids to 2 possibly 3 innings but they also limit pitches and will pull if near it or if they show any trouble.  I support anyone that looks out for the players instead of just wanting a win.  Pitch count is a must.  The only problem is there is no guarantee any certain count will work the same for all players.  It is a guess.

OB11

Quote from: T-Bone on May 10, 2017, 12:28:29 pm
I watch pitch count as much if not more than anyone.  It is very important.  The life of a young player's arm is not worth any school at any levels to get a win.  Just not worth it.  My son pitches more than I would like at times but he gets plenty of rest and does his bands and running to "help" protect his future.  No matter what you do you can never guarantee  a player will not get hurt.  Hopefully two games left for him to pitch in if we are fortunate to make it to State Championship.  Then he will be in showcase ball and they really watch the pitch count even more than in high school.  They limit the kids to 2 possibly 3 innings but they also limit pitches and will pull if near it or if they show any trouble.  I support anyone that looks out for the players instead of just wanting a win.  Pitch count is a must.  The only problem is there is no guarantee any certain count will work the same for all players.  It is a guess.

Don't showcase teams usually have a roster full of pitchers though? Seems like they would have to limit innings in order to get everyone time on the mound to "showcase" their skills. High school teams don't often have that luxury and throw the guys that give them the best chance to win when they're needed. I think high school coaches (at least the ones I know) are very concerned with their pitchers health. There aren't many coaches that I know that would put a kid on the mound that said they weren't good to go.

SWARK16

I can't imagine how soft your son is with his dad watching over his shoulder every game. I'm sure colleges are lined up to get a player with an over protected dad and a son who doesn't know how to pitch out of a jam because daddy pulls him every time it gets tough.

BossHogs

Dang Swark16 is spitting fire! At least it's not at me for once.

Rugman15

Everyone is on the same playing field here.  I think the AAA did a good job with the situation.  Plus, not one pitcher can carry you to state.  You must have multiple guys who can either start you strong and win you a game, or have more guys to come in and stop the bleeding if your team gets down.  It's also all about the mental aspect of it.  If you complain and whine about the "unfair" playing field, then that will already put you at a disadvantage to the team that is coming out there ready to compete no matter what has happened before...

Eagle25

Showcase teams do usually limit innings to 2 or 3, but sometimes do let pitchers go the distance as long as their pitch count stays pretty low. Some pitchers get stronger as the game goes on so an inning or 2 is not enough to really show what they are about. My son, a former high school pitcher said he would hate to pitch under these rules because he would never finish a game LOL.
AAA half way got something right for once on pushing all the games back.
A team does have to have more than one pitcher if they want to make a legit run at State. Better have three or four that can pitch at least decently or eat up some innings.

ricepig

Quote from: SWARK16 on May 10, 2017, 12:58:48 pm
I can't imagine how soft your son is with his dad watching over his shoulder every game. I'm sure colleges are lined up to get a player with an over protected dad and a son who doesn't know how to pitch out of a jam because daddy pulls him every time it gets tough.

I don't know about an overprotective dad, but colleges are lining up, lol.

RedWolf275

Quote from: Rugman15 on May 10, 2017, 01:10:20 pm
Everyone is on the same playing field here.  I think the AAA did a good job with the situation.  Plus, not one pitcher can carry you to state.  You must have multiple guys who can either start you strong and win you a game, or have more guys to come in and stop the bleeding if your team gets down.  It's also all about the mental aspect of it.  If you complain and whine about the "unfair" playing field, then that will already put you at a disadvantage to the team that is coming out there ready to compete no matter what has happened before...

I think the disadvantage thing is about those teams who had to play two games Monday instead of one

NHSPride

The only advantage is to the 1 seeds with a bye who have their pitching reset for the state tourney.  Lower seeds start with only 2 days rest and teams with a bye have the full 3 days rest.  That's kind of that point that your 1 seed would get an advantage.  That's their reward for getting the 1 seed. 

RedWolf275

No byes in the 3a state

T-Bone

Quote from: SWARK16 on May 10, 2017, 12:58:48 pm

You took that way to wrong.  I don't coach.  Our coaches coach and do an outstanding job.  I do get him help in areas where "he chooses" to get help.

T-Bone

Quote from: Rugman15 on May 10, 2017, 01:10:20 pm

I agree.

T-Bone

Quote from: NHSPride on May 10, 2017, 04:49:30 pm
The only advantage is to the 1 seeds with a bye who have their pitching reset for the state tourney.  Lower seeds start with only 2 days rest and teams with a bye have the full 3 days rest.  That's kind of that point that your 1 seed would get an advantage.  That's their reward for getting the 1 seed.

I agree the 1/2 seed get rewarded and if they got those seeds then they should get some form of reward for the effort and accomplishment.  I also feel a team with a really good record should get some reward as well going into the conference tournament. 

T-Bone

Quote from: OB11 on May 10, 2017, 12:33:32 pm
Don't showcase teams usually have a roster full of pitchers though? Seems like they would have to limit innings in order to get everyone time on the mound to "showcase" their skills. High school teams don't often have that luxury and throw the guys that give them the best chance to win when they're needed. I think high school coaches (at least the ones I know) are very concerned with their pitchers health. There aren't many coaches that I know that would put a kid on the mound that said they weren't good to go.

Yes they usually have a lot of pitchers but sometimes they even bring pitchers from other teams to finish a game if needed that might not have had many pitches and needed the time on the bump.  I also agree most coaches do care for the players.  But we all know there are a few that may place the effort for a W higher than the logic of protecting the players. 

TheSpecial

Quote from: T-Bone on May 10, 2017, 06:33:51 pm
You took that way to wrong.  I don't coach.  Our coaches coach and do an outstanding job.  I do get him help in areas where "he chooses" to get help.

If my guess is correct on who's kid this is, then yes. Colleges are lining up to see this kid play. He will play D1 baseball, we shouldn't burn his arm in HS.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas