• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A - Region 2 at Harding Academy

Started by The Green Arrow, May 02, 2017, 10:55:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Green Arrow

5/4 @ 10 am
1st 2 Harding Academy
4th 5 Rose Bud

5/4 @ 12:30
2nd 5 Harmony Grove
3rd 2 Cedar Ridge

5/4 @ 3
1st 5 Mayflower
4th 2 Tuckerman

5/4 @ 5:30
2nd 2 Bald Knob
3rd 5 Glen Rose

Play kicks off Thursday at 10. This is a pretty tough region in my opinion. Thoughts?

CoolBreeze

Expect RB to give HA all they can handle. They took the Wildcats to extra innings during the regular season. To the best of my recollection, the closest any 3a/4a school came to upsetting Harding, who had to come from behind to force the extra frame.

FNLsupporter

Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 03, 2017, 01:31:16 pm
Expect RB to give HA all they can handle. They took the Wildcats to extra innings during the regular season. To the best of my recollection, the closest any 3a/4a school came to upsetting Harding, who had to come from behind to force the extra frame.
True, but I expect HA to pitch one of their 2 aces against RB this time. I will be surprised if it isn't a 8 or 10 run victory for the Cats. Good luck to both teams though!

The Green Arrow

All regional tournaments have been pushed back and will start tomorrow.

CoolBreeze

From what I've seen on other threads, Mayflower is chomping at the bit for another crack at HA.

Will they get it? Or will a cinderella upset one or the other?

BoxNOne

This is a very tough region looks like to me.

RedWolf275

Does anyone know if these games are still on for today?

The Green Arrow

GR89

The Green Arrow

Harding Academy 10
Rose Bud 0

Harding will play winner of Harmony Grove and Cedar Ridge.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: FNLsupporter on May 03, 2017, 04:08:49 pm
True, but I expect HA to pitch one of their 2 aces against RB this time. I will be surprised if it isn't a 8 or 10 run victory for the Cats. Good luck to both teams though!
Harding Academy 10
Rose Bud 0

FNL Looks like you're a prophet. Any further predictions?

Eagle1323

oasistrader

FNLsupporter

Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 05, 2017, 04:21:30 pm
Harding Academy 10
Rose Bud 0

FNL Looks like you're a prophet. Any further predictions?
Just got lucky on this one! I just knew HA is very tough in postseason!  Should be some really good games tomorrow!
HA vs HHG @ 12 followed by Mayflower vs BK @ 2:30.

TheSpecial

CoolBreeze

HA 9
HG 8 FINAL

What a game! HG took a 4-0 lead in the 2nd. Then, HA scored 3 to get within 1. Later HA scored four more to go up 7-4. HG scored 4 after 2 were out in I believe it was the top of the sixth to take the lead 8-7. [They had appeared to score an additional run when a ground ball zoomed past the first baseman, but the home plate umpire called catcher's interference, so the runner had to return to third.] HA scored one in the bottom of the sixth to tie to score, and Paydon Harlow's single up the middle in the bottom of the seventh drove in the winning run.

The strong wind blowing from first to third may have been a factor. A number of fly balls into right and right center did not travel as far as it seemed they should. Also, in the bottom of the first, an HA batter hit a fly ball a mile high on the infield. The first baseman missed it by about 5 feet. That one did not affect the score.

The game was exciting. It's a shame that either team had to lose. But the good news is that we'll see both in the state tourney next week.

Eagle1323

Mayflower 12. Bald Knob 8.

Sets up Mayflower vs. Harding in championship

Good luck to both and stay healthy

CoolBreeze

Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 06, 2017, 04:34:19 pm
HA 9
HG 8 FINAL

What a game! HG took a 4-0 lead in the 2nd. Then, HA scored 3 to get within 1. Later HA scored four more to go up 7-4. HG scored 4 after 2 were out in I believe it was the top of the sixth to take the lead 8-7. [They had appeared to score an additional run when a ground ball zoomed past the first baseman, but the home plate umpire called catcher's interference, so the runner had to return to third.] HA scored one in the bottom of the sixth to tie to score, and Paydon Harlow's single up the middle in the bottom of the seventh drove in the winning run.

The strong wind blowing from first to third may have been a factor. A number of fly balls into right and right center did not travel as far as it seemed they should. Also, in the bottom of the first, an HA batter hit a fly ball a mile high on the infield. The first baseman missed it by about 5 feet. That one did not affect the score.

The game was exciting. It's a shame that either team had to lose. But the good news is that we'll see both in the state tourney next week.
I forgot to mention Harding's trick play. The pitcher faked a pickoff throw to second but kept the ball. The shortstop and second baseman dived toward the bag as if it were a bad throw. the centerfielder raced in toward second. The runner was deceived and broke toward third and was retired easily. If I remember correctly, that was the second out in the inning in which HG scored 4 to retake the lead. It likely prevented an even bigger inning.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Eagle1323 on May 06, 2017, 07:36:14 pm
Mayflower 12. Bald Knob 8.

Sets up Mayflower vs. Harding in championship

Good luck to both and stay healthy
+1 on avoiding injury. The only way to get a true picture of team quality is to have them meet at full strength.

Should be a good game between two top teams.

I saw on another thread where one team chose who to pitch when in order avoid HA and Mayflower. That says something about the quality of both teams.

The Green Arrow

Bald Knob leads Harmony Grove 1-0, top 3rd

The Green Arrow

BK loses 3-2. HG scores 3 in bottom of 6th

oasistrader

Eagle1323

7-0 HA.   6th inn.  Mayflower using pitcher by committee this game and balls are falling right at HA when hit

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Eagle1323 on May 08, 2017, 04:02:45 pm
7-0 HA.   6th inn.  Mayflower using pitcher by committee this game and balls are falling right at HA when hit

HA 7
MF 0  FINAL

I also disagree with the characterization. It's true that one of the hardest hit balls for the Eagles went right to the right fielder. However, HA had far more well-hit balls caught in the outfield than Mayflower. Paydon Harlow pitched a masterful game. The majority of well-struck balls by Mayflower flew over the HA dugout. Few balls hit hard found fair territory.

The real problem was that the Eagles spotted the Wildcats three runs in the 1st. The second batter reached when the catcher failed to stop a breaking ball in the dirt on the third strike. The next hitter reached on an error. Add a couple of walks, a wild pitch or two., and one good hit and three 'Cats crossed the plate. Harding never looked back after that.

Mayflower did make a few plays in the field that kept them in the game longer. I remember the left fielder cutting off a line drive down the line and throwing the batter out when he tried to stretch it to a double. He also caught a short fly that I thought he had no chance to reach. The 2nd baseman showed a lot of range as well and stopped a grounder or two headed for right field.

Eagle1323

Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 08, 2017, 05:22:07 pm
HA 7
MF 0  FINAL

I also disagree with the characterization. It's true that one of the hardest hit balls for the Eagles went right to the right fielder. However, HA had far more well-hit balls caught in the outfield than Mayflower. Paydon Harlow pitched a masterful game. The majority of well-struck balls by Mayflower flew over the HA dugout. Few balls hit hard found fair territory.

The real problem was that the Eagles spotted the Wildcats three runs in the 1st. The second batter reached when the catcher failed to stop a breaking ball in the dirt on the third strike. The next hitter reached on an error. Add a couple of walks, a wild pitch or two., and one good hit and three 'Cats crossed the plate. Harding never looked back after that.

Mayflower did make a few plays in the field that kept them in the game longer. I remember the left fielder cutting off a line drive down the line and throwing the batter out when he tried to stretch it to a double. He also caught a short fly that I thought he had no chance to reach. The 2nd baseman showed a lot of range as well and stopped a grounder or two headed for right field.

That's all pretty much correct what I meant was when they did hit it went to the players 1st inn defiantly hurt but MF catcher was the starting pitcher which he did good and the 3rd baseman started at catcher, playing 3 games hurts us if someone else doesn't pitch well since one of MF top 3 pitchers broke his arm a couple weeks ago then a freshman came in who never seen varsity inn and then the last pitcher was like a #6 but regardless they didn't bat well at all today, Harlow did throw well today also, but they have beaten a few pitchers that were better, all in all it is what it is and we all know MF is better than showed today so I hope everyone thinks we aren't but good luck to HA if we can't win it I hope they do so much respect for there program great kids on and off the field

CoolBreeze

Losing a valuable player is tough. Especially so late in the season. Good luck at state. How about a rematch at Baum?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas