• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6-2A Offseason

Started by Da Truff, April 20, 2017, 08:35:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Ric Flair on July 21, 2017, 05:30:19 pm
You can win plenty of games with "THE RIGHT" 22 players. Barton won 3 or 4 state titles in the 80's with that or less. But they were all football players. No "country club boys" for the Barton West Helena Bears of the 80's.................lol

NM

BisonFan1

It is somewhat disappointing for Carlisle's numbers to still be down, especially considering how well they did last year.  You would think having a good year would have revitalized some of the enthusiasm around the program in the form of more participation.  Having said that, though, I know this particular senior class is really small.  I also know that the upcoming 7th-9th grade numbers are looking really good and it seems like a lot of those kids may be in it for the long haul.  I think these things go in cycles.  It depends on so many different things.  I am not so concerned; as long as the injury bug doesn't bite the Bison, I think they will be just fine. 

RiverEagle079

That's the way it looks in Des Arc too.  Any given year you can see 35-45 kids on the roster on the Junior high but a lot fall off in Senior high

BisonFan1

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on July 21, 2017, 07:57:04 pm
That's the way it looks in Des Arc too.  Any given year you can see 35-45 kids on the roster on the Junior high but a lot fall off in Senior high

No doubt.  Carlisle is not experiencing anything out of the norm with their numbers.  Most 2A schools are in the same boat.  DA is a perfect example.  Tradition rich program, with a ton of success (both past and present), a good coach, etc., and they are sitting right at 20 bodies.  I guess there are just too many distractions for kids nowadays.  When I was in school, my friends and I lived for two things:  1) playing football and 2) chasing the ladies.  That seems to be the exception today and not the norm, so who knows...

mr.gametime

Augusta all state running back who rushed for over 1,700 yards last year..will be playing his Sr. Year for McCrory

BisonFan1

Quote from: mr.gametime on July 21, 2017, 10:42:27 pm
Augusta all state running back who rushed for over 1,700 yards last year..will be playing his Sr. Year for McCrory

I'm sure McCrory is loving this.  It's not too late for him to come to Carlisle...he would get plenty of carries.   ;D

So I take it Augusta is not fielding a team this year?  I have heard/read conflicting stories...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: BisonFan1 on July 22, 2017, 08:51:36 am
I'm sure McCrory is loving this.  It's not too late for him to come to Carlisle...he would get plenty of carries.   ;D

So I take it Augusta is not fielding a team this year?  I have heard/read conflicting stories...

I guess we'll know on or about August 15th.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: BisonFan1 on July 21, 2017, 10:25:22 pm
No doubt.  Carlisle is not experiencing anything out of the norm with their numbers.  Most 2A schools are in the same boat.  DA is a perfect example.  Tradition rich program, with a ton of success (both past and present), a good coach, etc., and they are sitting right at 20 bodies.  I guess there are just too many distractions for kids nowadays.  When I was in school, my friends and I lived for two things:  1) playing football and 2) chasing the ladies.  That seems to be the exception today and not the norm, so who knows...

Des Arc has 28 kids this year and will be over 30 next season

BisonFan1

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on July 22, 2017, 10:41:18 am
Des Arc has 28 kids this year and will be over 30 next season

That's good to hear.  I had heard they were still in the low 20s.  I'm optimistic our 7th-9th graders will all stick with it into high school.  If they do, Carlisle should have higher numbers.

mr.gametime

Quote from: mr.gametime on July 21, 2017, 10:42:27 pm

Also a lineman who started on the offensive and defensive line for augusta sr.high team as a 9th grader ...will also be playing for McCrory this year.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on July 21, 2017, 10:25:22 pm

Ask Coach U how many were on the team when he played in the '70's.  Probably no more than 22-25 and that was 40 years ago.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on July 22, 2017, 05:20:42 pm
Ask Coach U how many were on the team when he played in the '70's.  Probably no more than 22-25 and that was 40 years ago.

Haha I'll ask him about that the next time I see him around town.   

Back to the numbers, again, while I would like to have closer to 30 bodies, I am not as concerned as others about the depth issue.  Most other schools we will play, aside from maybe Lonoke and DeWitt, will be in the same boat as us.  The only time numbers can really hurt you is when you play a team that has enough quality players to simply wear your guys down (no one that I know of in the 2A has that much of an advantage to two-platoon).  The second is that added numbers can obviously help lesson the blow if the injury bug strikes.  Aside from those two, as long as your guys are mentally tough and in shape, there isn't much of an issue IMO. 

And we both know Mark will take care of those last two things, so I don't worry so much about that. 

Dayton Kitchens

In my opinion.  lack of numbers really come into play when trying to do team practice.    Especially team defense.   You can practice team offense with nothing but a pieced together defense facing them because much of team offense is about recognition and proper positioning.    Getting your man.

But an effective team defense practice needs to face an at least reasonably effective scout team offense.    Not to mention that in addition to your starting 11 on defense you need the key backups to be able to stand aside and watch the positions they'll be playing.

This doesn't work well when you can barely scrape together eleven guys to put on the scout team offense.   This is probably a major factor in the decline of effective defensive play at many AA schools.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on July 24, 2017, 08:49:34 am
In my opinion.  lack of numbers really come into play when trying to do team practice.    Especially team defense.   You can practice team offense with nothing but a pieced together defense facing them because much of team offense is about recognition and proper positioning.    Getting your man.

But an effective team defense practice needs to face an at least reasonably effective scout team offense.    Not to mention that in addition to your starting 11 on defense you need the key backups to be able to stand aside and watch the positions they'll be playing.

This doesn't work well when you can barely scrape together eleven guys to put on the scout team offense.   This is probably a major factor in the decline of effective defensive play at many AA schools.

You make some valid points.  No doubt, having higher numbers allows you to develop more effective replicas, in practice, of what you will face on Friday night.

Ventman

I drove by the Bison field house this morning and looks like practice starts today. I'm ready for some football!

BisonFan1

Quote from: Ventman on July 24, 2017, 09:46:50 am
I drove by the Bison field house this morning and looks like practice starts today. I'm ready for some football!

Unless I am mistaken, I don't think Fall practices can start until next Monday.  Either way, it's almost here!  Can't wait for September 1st.  Lonoke comes to our house this year, so it should be interesting. 

big E

Practice starts at PW Monday morning at 7:30.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Summer workouts started the week after school let out for summer break in des arc. 2 a days are coming up.

Ventman

Quote from: BisonFan1 on July 25, 2017, 03:00:18 pm
Unless I am mistaken, I don't think Fall practices can start until next Monday.  Either way, it's almost here!  Can't wait for September 1st.  Lonoke comes to our house this year, so it should be interesting.
Yeah I was wrong, practice start August the first.

Big Dave

The boys have been hitting the weights pretty hard.

BisonFan1

Quote from: Big Dave on July 26, 2017, 11:07:30 pm
The boys have been hitting the weights pretty hard.

Good to hear!  That's where is all begins.  Can't wait for September 1st. 

Qdogg2000

I heard the Jaguars have around 50 players....and they are pretty stacked on both sides of the ball. Don't sleep on them.

Ventman

Quote from: Qdogg2000 on July 28, 2017, 04:14:32 pm
I heard the Jaguars have around 50 players....and they are pretty stacked on both sides of the ball. Don't sleep on them.
Sounds like those Jags might be stout. I may have to go to England and catch that game. Could be a good one!

Qdogg2000

Quote from: Ventman on July 28, 2017, 04:16:29 pm
Sounds like those Jags might be stout. I may have to go to England and catch that game. Could be a good one!
They are going to be tough!

BigLion10

I thought the game was in Mccrory Vent

RiverEagle079

Quote from: Qdogg2000 on July 28, 2017, 04:14:32 pm
kind of nice when you inherit a whole team lol  ;D

Qdogg2000

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on July 28, 2017, 06:07:41 pm

They only picked up 2 or 3 from Augusta....When they won state, they had around 60.

Ventman

Quote from: BigLion10 on July 28, 2017, 05:42:20 pm
I thought the game was in Mccrory Vent
I was thinking England but I may be wrong.

mr.gametime

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on July 28, 2017, 06:07:41 pm

They only picked up 3 players from Augusta and 1 of those have already been kicked of the team...

Cheek

Quote from: Ventman on July 28, 2017, 10:08:13 pm
I was thinking England but I may be wrong.

It is at McCrory

Qdogg2000

The Jaguars will take the 6-2A....to much to handle.

RiverEagle079

BigLion10

I have Des Arc at the top until someone dethrones them

MomaLion

Quote from: BigLion10 on August 02, 2017, 10:30:01 am
I have Des Arc at the top until someone dethrones them
Same here.

big E

I guess Brinkley is not having a Sr team. Two of there players were at PW Jr practice yesterdsy,  they told a parent they didn't have but about 6 kids. That's about 5 short of enough to play.

Ventman

Quote from: big E on August 04, 2017, 05:24:41 am
I guess Brinkley is not having a Sr team. Two of there players were at PW Jr practice yesterdsy,  they told a parent they didn't have but about 6 kids. That's about 5 short of enough to play.
Thats no good.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Ventman on August 04, 2017, 07:46:53 am
Thats no good.

Hey Vent, was Brinkley scheduled for Carlisle's homecoming? 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 04, 2017, 08:51:26 am

Des Arc HAD Augusta scheduled for theirs, then Brinkley and now it's E.P.C.

Ventman

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 04, 2017, 08:51:26 am
Im not sure.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 04, 2017, 08:56:53 am
Des Arc HAD Augusta scheduled for theirs, then Brinkley and now it's E.P.C.

Domino effect at work.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Ventman on August 04, 2017, 10:02:34 am
Im not sure.

I fished around and found a schedule that lists Brinkley as the HC opponent on October 20th.  Other home games are Lonoke, Augusta, Hazen and DA.  If Augusta is out and with Lonoke the season opener, looks like Hazen or DA will be HC.

big E

I would be calling and asking Brinkley if they intend to field a team you know kids , they sometimes talk before they think. But doesn't sound good .

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 04, 2017, 10:18:32 am
I fished around and found a schedule that lists Brinkley as the HC opponent on October 20th.  Other home games are Lonoke, Augusta, Hazen and DA.  If Augusta is out and with Lonoke the season opener, looks like Hazen or DA will be HC.

Wouldn't want either of those 2 teams as my homecoming opponent, with the added distractions that go along with it. Case in point, carlisle was des arcs homecoming last year, and I believe that's why that game was so close.

Ventman

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 04, 2017, 10:18:32 am
Maybe they can pick up another game.

Ventman

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 04, 2017, 12:34:46 pm
Wouldn't want either of those 2 teams as my homecoming opponent, with the added distractions that go along with it. Case in point, carlisle was des arcs homecoming last year, and I believe that's why that game was so close.
Carlisle played a good game at DA last year.

Sonofasonofasailor

August 04, 2017, 03:58:26 pm #145 Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:28:58 pm by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 04, 2017, 12:34:46 pm

But if you're left with only three home games, options are obviously limited.  Looks like they've been dealt a 16 and the dealer's up card is an ace.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on August 04, 2017, 03:58:26 pm
But if you're left with only three home games, options are obviously limited.  Looks like they've been dealt a 16 and the dealer's up card is an ace.

We didn't want Carlisle last year or EPC this year, but like you said, that's the hand we were dealt because of the other teams.

RiverEagle079

So how many teams do the six get in the playoffs is it four or five

RiverEagle079

The reason im asking is that if Brinkley doesn't field a team and Augusta is out and we get five in the playoffs is their a chance that marvel makes the playoffs this year

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on August 04, 2017, 06:22:51 pm
The reason im asking is that if Brinkley doesn't field a team and Augusta is out and we get five in the playoffs is their a chance that marvel makes the playoffs this year

Odds are, they won't have A team either. It will be, des arc, Mccrory, Hazen, carlisle, p-w

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas