• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Berryville

Started by xcat, March 20, 2017, 10:10:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

xcat

Ad on schoolspring for a head football coach. I saw some video on them. Tiny, but had some fight in them last season in one game that I watched, but some other videos were painful to watch. A whole lot of quit going on less than a second after the ball was snapped - the O-line was a sieve.

Anyone else have any info about the job, team, atmosphere, etc.?

The Coach

Not a good job in any way

xcat

Fife2

From what I heard, the band is more popular than football team. The band doesn't play at halftime rather they play after the game. Low numbers versus teams like Shiloh, Gravette, pea Ridge, prairie grove etc... fight for fifth every year. No much support in a tough conference

we_hate_the_band

Have a three year plan and a quality exit strategy.

nchan

I wonder if the pay is good, it is a great part of the state...that counts, right?

xcat

Quote from: Fife2 on March 21, 2017, 09:26:25 am
From what I heard, the band is more popular than football team. The band doesn't play at halftime rather they play after the game. Low numbers versus teams like Shiloh, Gravette, pea Ridge, prairie grove etc... fight for fifth every year. No much support in a tough conference

You're not kidding. From the band's website: "The Berryville Band program ​is comprised of approximately 320 musicians in grades six through twelve."

prHOG13

They're also on the verge of being bumped to 5A. Just not a lot of football talent in that county

beach bum

Quote from: nchan on March 21, 2017, 11:06:03 am
I wonder if the pay is good, it is a great part of the state...that counts, right?

Berryville is an awful part of the state and there is no culture whatsoever.... It is over 1 hour and 15 minutes to the NWA cities and there are no jobs in Carroll County unless you want to work in a terrible working environment. I'll be the first to say it. The small towns in the 1-4A located near Fayetteville and Bentonville hate traveling out to Berryville for road games. That tells you something.

SUGARTOWN

March 22, 2017, 07:57:09 am #9 Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:22:24 am by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: beach bum on March 21, 2017, 05:31:02 pm
Berryville is an awful part of the state and there is no culture whatsoever.... It is over 1 hour and 15 minutes to the NWA cities and there are no jobs in Carroll County unless you want to work in a terrible working environment. I'll be the first to say it. The small towns in the 1-4A located near Fayetteville and Bentonville hate traveling out to Berryville for road games. That tells you something.

What exactly does it tell us? That they hate an hour road trip or they hate poor people?

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 22, 2017, 07:57:09 am
What exactly does it tell us? That they hate an hour road trip or they hate poor people?

I don't think it has anything to do with being poor.... Most people who do not have a lot of money still know how to conduct themselves in a professional manner on a daily basis. The adults there behave worse than the children in the student section the times I have been there in the past.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: beach bum on March 22, 2017, 09:11:43 am
I don't think it has anything to do with being poor.... Most people who do not have a lot of money still know how to conduct themselves in a professional manner on a daily basis. The adults there behave worse than the children in the student section the times I have been there in the past.

Ah, I see.

prHOG13

Our Jr High fans got egged twice by fans driving by behind the visitor stands in Berryville, which was nice.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: prHOG13 on March 22, 2017, 05:43:02 pm
Our Jr High fans got egged twice by fans driving by behind the visitor stands in Berryville, which was nice.

Eggs? People are getting soft. When I was in school it was bricks thrown at the bus...but this was in south AR.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: prHOG13 on March 22, 2017, 05:43:02 pm

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice....

Jack1990

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 23, 2017, 08:10:36 am
Eggs? People are getting soft. When I was in school it was bricks thrown at the bus...but this was in south AR.
Experienced that myself...rode home with glass in our seats. I would have taken egged any day instead of that.

beach bum

prHOG13

No complaints here

When life gives you eggs, you scramble them

https://youtu.be/M5wbWEkNqLQ?t=4s

Dayton Kitchens

I remember a veteran basketball coach once telling me that Eudora fans once turned over his bus!   

Don't know the details or even if it was true but when he drove us to the football game he stayed in the drivers seat of the bus during the game  with a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel.

Arkansauce

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 24, 2017, 04:05:13 pm
I remember a veteran basketball coach once telling me that Eudora fans once turned over his bus!   

Don't know the details or even if it was true but when he drove us to the football game he stayed in the drivers seat of the bus during the game  with a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel.
Probably was true!!! Badger Pride!!!! ;D

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Them stories ain´t much. My dad graduated from Oak Ridge Central (school that doesnt exist any more, was in Ravenden Springs, about 20 minutes north of Pocahontas) and he played basketball there in the 80s. He has told me a story before about how people from Clover Bend, also when they still had a school, literally destroyed the schoolś only girls bathroom. And almost turned over ORC´s bus. It was just a bunch of rednecks if you know this part of the country.

nuttinbuthogs

Any movement on this yet? Have they begun interviews?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on March 27, 2017, 01:53:59 pm
Them stories ain´t much. My dad graduated from Oak Ridge Central (school that doesnt exist any more, was in Ravenden Springs, about 20 minutes north of Pocahontas) and he played basketball there in the 80s. He has told me a story before about how people from Clover Bend, also when they still had a school, literally destroyed the schoolś only girls bathroom. And almost turned over ORC´s bus. It was just a bunch of rednecks if you know this part of the country.
He should be glad the boys didn't get involved.

SaintsRow123

I heard that interviews have not started. I also heard that they actually have quite a few applicants, looks like someone wants to be the savior over there! They had a great 7th grade group this year who beat the brakes off our Saints and I think every other team in the conference, plus their Jr. High had some good athletes, 2 that i remember who could start for any other team. One was a super fast kid and the other ran the ball extremely hard. Looks like they just need some big boys to go with some of their skilled guys to make a run at that 5th spot in my opinion.

gameoflife

Quote from: SaintsRow123 on March 28, 2017, 01:04:58 pm
I heard that interviews have not started. I also heard that they actually have quite a few applicants,  They had a great 7th grade group this year who beat the brakes off our Saints and I think every other team in the conference,

I heard some of this stuff after lunch today.  Also heard some NWA coaches from some very successful schools are on the list of applicants.

esgibson00

Just read a list of candidates for the Berryville job...any of these guys legitimate candidates?

The following is a list of current applicants:

• Terry Turner of Rogers

• William Cox of Highland, Ill.

• Cleophus Lane of Memphis, Tenn.

• Bruce Munden of Haileyville, Okla.

• Jason McClendon of Houston, Texas

• Anthony Coffey of Green Forest

• Patrick Cantrell of Russellville

• Max Washausen of Prairie Grove

• Jacob Meyers of Berryville

• Jantzen Bradford of Fulton, Mo.

• Craig Laird of Farmington

• Brett Shrable of Jonesboro

• Deerick Smith of Manila

• Tyler Dorton of Fayetteville

SaintsRow123

Quote from: esgibson00 on March 31, 2017, 11:51:40 am
Just read a list of candidates for the Berryville job...any of these guys legitimate candidates?

• Terry Turner of Rogers

Laird is a huge applicant for the job in my opinion, being part of the successful Prairie Grove system for many years.  Would be a good hire especially being familiar with the conference and the opponents

southarkdaddy

Quote from: gameoflife on March 28, 2017, 04:40:36 pm
I heard some of this stuff after lunch today.  Also heard some NWA coaches from some very successful schools are on the list of applicants.

Thats interesting considering the perception of Berryville from this thread.

beach bum

March 31, 2017, 06:07:32 pm #28 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:26:13 pm by beach bum
Quote from: SaintsRow123 on March 31, 2017, 12:13:55 pm

Laird is a huge applicant for the job in my opinion, being part of the successful Prairie Grove system for many years.  Would be a good hire especially being familiar with the conference and the opponents

Laird would be the best option Berryville could get. He is a proven winner, great coach, and great person at Prairie Grove. I am actually shocked he applied considering I feel he would be more deserving than a place like Berryville(not meant to be a diss to Berryville)... just saying he deserves an even better job than Berryville IMO. What makes Prairie Grove so great is they win with just FOUR COACHES! Abshier is the HC, but Laird deserves a lot of credit with the PG program. PG essentially has 2 or even 3 guys roaming their sidelines at all times who could be a head coach but stayed at PG and their loyalty has paid dividends for that program. Laird and Elder have been HC's in their younger days and their 4th coach they had a couple years ago is a HC currently at a lower classification school. That is a great staff. Lincoln administration needed their heads examined when they hired Davenport over Laird a few years back. Luckily, Lincoln got that huge mistake fixed when they landed Coach Harrison after Davenport departed after one year. Berryville seems pretty dang lucky if you ask me cause there are a few names on that list that they would be absolutely lucky to land and especially Laird!

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: beach bum on March 31, 2017, 06:07:32 pm
Laird would be the best option Berryville could get. He is a proven winner, great coach, and great person at Prairie Grove. I am actually shocked he applied considering I feel he would be more deserving than a place like Berryville(not meant to be a diss to Berryville)... just saying he deserves an even better job than Berryville IMO. What makes Prairie Grove so great is they win with just FOUR COACHES! Abshier is the HC, but Laird deserves a lot of credit with the PG program. PG essentially has 2 or even 3 guys roaming their sidelines at all times who could be a head coach but stayed at PG and their loyalty has paid dividends for that program. Laird and Elder have been HC's in their younger days and their 4th coach they had a couple years ago is a HC currently at a lower classification school. That is a great staff. Lincoln administration needed their heads examined when they hired Davenport over Laird a few years back. Luckily, Lincoln got that huge mistake fixed when they landed Coach Harrison after Davenport departed after one year. Berryville seems pretty dang lucky if you ask me cause there are a few names on that list that they would be absolutely lucky to land and especially Laird!

In other words you want Max to get the job?

nuttinbuthogs

• Terry Turner of Rogers

Isn't Laird from Prairie Grove, and Dorton from Lincoln?

nuttinbuthogs

March 31, 2017, 10:04:41 pm #31 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:14:47 pm by nuttinbuthogs

You sure took a swipe at Berryville.  Looks like Laird thought Berryville was worth his time even if you don't.  Lincoln may have made a mistake by not hiring Laird, but hiring Davenport wasn't it. 

gameoflife

Whats the story on the folks on that list?  Who coaches what, where and what is their history? 

SaintsRow123

April 03, 2017, 01:05:56 pm #33 Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:18:30 pm by SaintsRow123

Like I said earlier, Berryville's younger classes look to be good coming up, if they have the right program and head coach behind them they could make some noise when they get older. IMO its not about winning 10 games at Berryville right now, its about winning 5 or 6 and making the state tournament again. I believe they could possibly do this and probably would've this year with the right man behind the wheel, they had some talent. I have friends over that way and they are all about some football just been lacking with hiring the right man to restart the program. They will hurt next year because of a new head coach and they lost 10 or so seniors looks like from their roster. Bashing Berryville isn't right IMO, and it might come back to haunt you in the future, you never know. Coaches can turn programs around and can make a huge difference. Some of those kids that quit or big boys walking the halls might decide to come back out for football with a new spark in the program. Laird I think would be able to do this for them and is the homerun hire from the list I saw. You think he deserves better, what was his record as a head coach before? Hasn't been in alittle while, time to prove himself again and its the perfect situation to prove you can really turn a program around and make something out of nothing. Our conference just will get that much better with the hire of Laird over there. Great for the 4A-1.

nuttinbuthogs

They should look towards  someone who has experience with turning a program around and creating a winning atmosphere.  It will not be an easy fix. 

fromthehills

Looks like a good list

• Terry Turner of Rogers

Jimbo Morphis

My money is on Cleophus.

SUGARTOWN

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 04, 2017, 08:17:20 am
This guy?

Have you SEEEEN the light? All time great movie

RZback

Spring ball not too far away, they need to get a guy in there and get started.

Jimbo Morphis

I wonder if Cleophus has ever been to Berryville? Can you get there from Memphis?

nuttinbuthogs

Any change Dorton from Lincoln is getting this job? 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on April 04, 2017, 07:23:58 pm
Any change Dorton from Lincoln is getting this job? 
Dorton is no Cleophus.

nuttinbuthogs

I'd agree with that.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: Oldman on April 04, 2017, 07:46:57 pm
Dorton is no Cleophus.

Is there a Mrs. Cleo in his life?

Qhcaoc

Smith just accepted the job at Augusta

RZback

How is the job search going for the Bobcats?  There were some pretty good names flying around.

FBFan92

I'm hearing they already have there man.  Announcing this week!

nuttinbuthogs

Got any idea of who. 

Tigerdad2

Laird is the best name on that list.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas