• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Berryville

Started by xcat, March 20, 2017, 10:10:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

http://www.carrollconews.com/story/2402308.html

Word is it won't official until Monday after Easter.

RZback

Well, I had heard this was already decided.  Odd mix of candidates.  Just shows you never know.

hogalum05

Rember 4years ago? It was Owens' job till Adkins swooped in. I Said then Ol BHS was making a mistake, and they were. I've heard many in that town say it won't happen again. As Asst HC, strength coach, and D.C. At a 6A school pretty sure he'd take a pay cut to take this one though. He just missed getting the Sheridan job, how'd you like to go from maybe making 80k to maybe making 55-60k.

RZback

So was a coach hired or not.  I hear the new coach was on campus yesterday.

Idoknow

April 14, 2017, 02:00:28 pm #104 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:02:12 pm by Idoknow
Your new coach is coming from H.S. high. Already turned in resignation and was the OC!

FBFan92

His name is Doug Shot.  And he is a great man and a even better coach!! 

OfficerHightower

So sounds like decision has been made, contrary to news paper.  Many say Shot is a good coach so certainly don't want to disrespect him but do want to compare these two. Owens - been a Coord since he started Coaching I think. Short but successful start at Mashall, several years at MH, whose middle of the road in the 6A east. And then the last few years at improved Sheridan, that plays in the 6A South/central. Now Shot has been at Hot Spring and previously Boonvile?

OverPrivileged

Quote from: OfficerHightower on April 14, 2017, 07:50:25 pm
So sounds like decision has been made, contrary to news paper.  Many say Shot is a good coach so certainly don't want to disrespect him but do want to compare these two. Owens - been a Coord since he started Coaching I think. Short but successful start at Mashall, several years at MH, whose middle of the road in the 6A east. And then the last few years at improved Sheridan, that plays in the 6A South/central. Now Shot has been at Hot Spring and previously Boonvile?

your information sounds...how do you say...incorrect.  Owens...was an assistant, just an assistant, for most of his career not a coordinator.  MH i think he was a defensive assistant, and that was under the regime with Benji Mahan that got released...Sheridan went from 5-6 in 2015 to 1-9 in 2016 with him as DC...and Marshal... 

hogalum05

Quote from: vegasbobcat on April 14, 2017, 09:58:47 pm
your information sounds...how do you say...incorrect.  Owens...was an assistant, just an assistant, for most of his career not a coordinator.  MH i think he was a defensive assistant, and that was under the regime with Benji Mahan that got released...Sheridan went from 5-6 in 2015 to 1-9 in 2016 with him as DC...and Marshal... 
Wow I did some homework and for such confidence you sure are so, well... wrong. That's embarrassing.. Hightower is actually much more informed than you.  not that it matters but I'm going to help. Owens started as an off Coord at Marshall who in his last year with the program was near the top of the state in nearly every Off statistic. Rewrote every record Mrshall had with a school best 10-1 record, beaten by the eventue state champ rose bud. MH-was hired by Shane Patrick (not Benji Mahan) work with him for a couple years till he moved on to Springdale. Enter Benji... stayed on for a few more years. Total Time at MH-5 years- he coach both sides, special teams Coord and maybe def Coord for a year or 2. moved on to Sheridan to work for Louis Campbell. Hired as LB coach in 14'  then promoted to S&C and Def Coord in 2015. And in 1 of the few things you got right the team did go 5-6 making it to the playoffs. Only to loose a competitive game vs Russellville. In 16' he was promoted to Asst HC and SHS did go 1-9, missing 3 conf wins by a total like 9 pts. As for now He is 1 of only a few people being retained to the same position by the new Coach.
Now that you have real facts maybe you can compare.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: vegasbobcat on April 14, 2017, 09:58:47 pm

I'd take a guy that won 10 games at Marshall over a guy that couldn't get to the playoffs at Hot Springs. Marshall probably hasn't won 10 games since he left.

hogalum05

**Glen Rose. You can look at Marshall wins through the years and see how big a feat that is.

Idoknow

Quote from: hogalum05 on April 14, 2017, 11:23:06 pm
Wow I did some homework and for such confidence you sure are so, well... wrong. That's embarrassing.. Hightower is actually much more informed than you.  not that it matters but I'm going to help. Owens started as an off Coord at Marshall who in his last year with the program was near the top of the state in nearly every Off statistic. Rewrote every record Mrshall had with a school best 10-1 record, beaten by the eventue state champ rose bud. MH-was hired by Shane Patrick (not Benji Mahan) work with him for a couple years till he moved on to Springdale. Enter Benji... stayed on for a few more years. Total Time at MH-5 years- he coach both sides, special teams Coord and maybe def Coord for a year or 2. moved on to Sheridan to work for Louis Campbell. Hired as LB coach in 14'  then promoted to S&C and Def Coord in 2015. And in 1 of the few things you got right the team did go 5-6 making it to the playoffs. Only to loose a competitive game vs Russellville. In 16' he was promoted to Asst HC and SHS did go 1-9, missing 3 conf wins by a total like 9 pts. As for now He is 1 of only a few people being retained to the same position by the new Coach.
Now that you have real facts maybe you can compare.
Hogalum05 you need to research a little more to get the facts right. Owens worked under Kenny Phillips in 2007 but Kenny was still in charge of the Offense when they went 10-1. Another thing that was wrong, Rose Bud has never won a S.Championship in FB. If you're going to correct someone you need to have the facts right!

Tigerdad2

From the list of finalists and the hire made , sounds like Berryville should have drove to Laird's house and begged him to take the job

OfficerHightower

Quote from: Idoknow on April 15, 2017, 10:44:08 am
Hogalum05 you need to research a little more to get the facts right. Owens worked under Kenny Phillips in 2007 but Kenny was still in charge of the Offense when they went 10-1. Another thing that was wrong, Rose Bud has never won a S.Championship in FB. If you're going to correct someone you need to have the facts right!
My goodness, I'm going to need a zanex to deal with some of you. 05 is very accurate. He did say Rose Bud and then quickly posted Glen Rose. Obvious typo..  Phillips was the HC but anybody anywhere near the program would tell u he did Def and completely handed the offense over to Owens. Play calling, peronell, and practice planning. Not sure what else there is. He ran the same Off that his Dad won games with at Berryville for crying out loud! Then Baker ran it after he left. Owens had a 2,600yd rusher also 1 at and 1 close to 1k yds. Not to mention a QB that had a 1k passing.

Ok nowI'm going to assume that argument is over... and before we dive into the other stuff 05 is actually pretty accurate on all the other stuff as well. Owens' has a pretty good resume when you look at it along with the Coaches he's coached under.

OverPrivileged

I didn't mean to say Owens was not a good coach.  I actually thing he is a good coach.  What I was saying is that there is no reason to believe that shott will not be.  Owens has had one winning season in his career.  Now, he has coached at some very hard places to win, but there isn't anyting there to say "hey this guy can turn around a losing program".  that's all I was trying to get across.  a few years as a DC/OC and one winning season since 2005

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

So are we saying that Berryville has definitely hired Doug Shott?  If so, he is a flexbone guy and coached some really good Booneville teams. His son, Matt, was QB at Booneville when I was a senior at Mena, and they actually coached football and baseball together at DeQueen.  Not sure where Matt is now, but they both seem like good guys from the time I've visited with them. 

As far as the three finalists, I think they were all flexbone guys on offense. I'm not positive on Owens, but Hightower and HogAlum will correct me if I'm wrong because they either are Owens, are married to Owens, or raised Owens because they know way too much information about the history of his coaching career. 

I know Marshall Hahn as I coached his son in 2015 at Elmwood. He was the OC at Rogers and I would characterize him as a flexbone expert. All flex guys may be like him, but I had no idea there were that many formations, adjustments, and plays in that offense.  I know he is an awesome Christian man, husband, father of 7 BOYS, and foster parent. 

I think any of those three could be the right choice. I actually liked Winters and thought he was doing some positive things across the program. I think the new guy is probably setup better than a new coach has been in a while.

I saw Michael Gray from Mountain View on the list. I'd think he would have been a good pick from what he has done there. No idea what he runs.

Also, Tyler Dorton, the Lincoln OC, will be a good one some day, but I'm glad he didn't get this for his sake. He will have some opportunities, likely sooner rather than later, but I'm not sure this would have good for him.

I do think if Laird had not pulled his name, he would have been the best pick (outside of Hahn, but I'm biased towards him). Laird knows the conference likely better than  anyone else in the conference outside of Abshier, Harrelson, and Duke Mobley.

hogalum05

Coach come on! I've known that guy for a long time and his Dad and Uncles that coached before that. Got to realize, been an Owens coaching in this state since the 60s! Even Got to see a few of Owens Jr's games till he moved down south. I am a fan of his and if you say something inaccurate or insinuate something inaccurate I am going to call you on it.

Vegas, all I did was correct your inaccuracies which in this case have been many. Ex: He was in total control of the Offense at Marshall, he's been a Coord for over half his career (including the year Sheridan went 5-6), and at MH, he was hired by Patrick, not Mahan.  Now, He does only have 1 real winning record. But a 5 and a 10 win season at Marshall, and four 5 win seasons at MH and Sheridan really is not that bad. But again look at the Coaches he has coached under.

footballfan-tastic

Berryville is going to be a tough place to fix because they lack a lot of support needed to fix it.  Of the list that was published I'm sure there were some good choices, but if anyone thought they would get a coach with a clear cut championship history they were dreaming.
From the looks of the list, Laird was the closest to that but I don't think he has a championship, could be wrong.  Anyway he withdrew and that may be a shame or it may be a good thing since he lacked something the commitment to go ahead and take the job.
The guys that were in the finals for the job I think were experienced coaches but I don't know that much about their individual success.  I will say I'm not disappointed in the choice after seeing the names of those seriously considered and there could have been a much worse pick.
Biggest disappointment would be Laird not staying in, but then I hear he had withddrawn from another school a few years ago. Seems not to be able to pull the trigger?

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 15, 2017, 10:58:27 am
From the list of finalists and the hire made , sounds like Berryville should have drove to Laird's house and begged him to take the job

I hear he was high on he list and withdrew. Maybe he just wanted to make PG show some appreciation.  I also heard he had pulled out of the coaching search before. At Lincoln I was told.

OfficerHightower

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on April 15, 2017, 10:45:05 pm
So are we saying that Berryville has definitely hired Doug Shott?  If so, he is a flexbone guy and coached some really good Booneville teams. His son, Matt, was QB at Booneville when I was a senior at Mena, and they actually coached football and baseball together at DeQueen.  Not sure where Matt is now, but they both seem like good guys from the time I've visited with them. 

As far as the three finalists, I think they were all flexbone guys on offense. I'm not positive on Owens, but Hightower and HogAlum will correct me if I'm wrong because they either are Owens, are married to Owens, or raised Owens because they know way too much information about the history of his coaching career. 

I know Marshall Hahn as I coached his son in 2015 at Elmwood. He was the OC at Rogers and I would characterize him as a flexbone expert. All flex guys may be like him, but I had no idea there were that many formations, adjustments, and plays in that offense.  I know he is an awesome Christian man, husband, father of 7 BOYS, and foster parent. 

I think any of those three could be the right choice. I actually liked Winters and thought he was doing some positive things across the program. I think the new guy is probably setup better than a new coach has been in a while.

I saw Michael Gray from Mountain View on the list. I'd think he would have been a good pick from what he has done there. No idea what he runs.

Also, Tyler Dorton, the Lincoln OC, will be a good one some day, but I'm glad he didn't get this for his sake. He will have some opportunities, likely sooner rather than later, but I'm not sure this would have good for him.

I do think if Laird had not pulled his name, he would have been the best pick (outside of Hahn, but I'm biased towards him). Laird knows the conference likely better than  anyone else in the conference outside of Abshier, Harrelson, and Duke Mobley.
Interesting how when you come out with some facts you must either be the person or related to him! Do I know him, yep real well but Vegas if you would just look up Sheridan Football and check out Owens' bio it would save us fact checkers some work!

All I wanted was a comparison between the 2!! Moot point now, guess SaintsRow was right. Not sure how it went down but he's been off the list since early last week.

footballfan-tastic

How many times do school search committees talk with the remaining staff that is going to be continuing in the program?  I don't think I have ever heard of using their imput but it seems they would understand the needs of the program and what kind of coach might be a good fit more so than administrators and board members who are not working in the program on a daily basis. Opinions?

game on

I don't think that is a regular practice.  From coaches I talk to it seem nobody really wants their opinion when it comes to hiring.

OB11

It would make sense for admin to get input from the coaching staff in a perfect world. But if they are asking for the assistants input on what needs to be done in the program, why not give the job to one of the assistants? Assuming they were willing to take it.

game on

Saying they know what problems the program has, what strenghts the new coach needs in relation to the problems, and saying they are ready to be the HC are not the same thing at all.  If that were the case just make a board member the HC since you are letting them decide.

Jimbo Morphis

Have they hired my big name yet?

RZback

Any news on how spring went with the new coach?

OfficerHightower

Well, still waiting on the ol Bobcats to become relevant again. Looked up this old thread and thought it was kind of interesting. Wandering if the search committee still has all the answers??

Spectator

Lots of colleges in the state. Go get a degree and education and get into coaching. Sounds like you have all the answers and would make a great head coach.

OfficerHightower

Quote from: Spectator on November 02, 2019, 10:12:08 pm
Lots of colleges in the state. Go get a degree and education and get into coaching. Sounds like you have all the answers and would make a great head coach.

You need to go to your "safe place" for a little bit? You seem to have wadded up you undergarments reading my post. I actually have a degree and you honestly probably want me to stay with my current line of work. Might need me someday... now 2 years ago I did want to see somebody else hired. Doesn't necessarily mean I don't like Coach Shott. I do wish we could become relevant in our conference again. My comments were directed more at the committee that had such infinite wisdom during the process. 

Spectator

Your implying they made a bad choice. My personal opinion is they couldn't have  hired a better coach, mentor, or person than Coach Shot.

The Coach

Coaching matters but, in the case of Berryville they don't have the talent to compete with the better teams in the 1-4A and haven't for years now.  Many coaches have come and gone and yet the results stay the same so what else could it be? Some of the coaches they had were good coaches and have gone on to other places and are involved with very successful programs. Sounds like the coach they have now is doing as well as anyone could ask.   

byvark

Quote from: The Coach on November 04, 2019, 08:23:25 am
Coaching matters but, in the case of Berryville they don't have the talent to compete with the better teams in the 1-4A and haven't for years now.  Many coaches have come and gone and yet the results stay the same so what else could it be? Some of the coaches they had were good coaches and have gone on to other places and are involved with very successful programs. Sounds like the coach they have now is doing as well as anyone could ask.

I agree with The Coach.  Just not enough big ole farm boys anymore for the trenches and not enough guys that do go out with any speed.  Biggest offensive weakness at present is mediocre skilled quarterbacks who cannot scramble or consistently complete passes to receivers who do not have the speed to get separation.  On defense, Berryville is sub-par on pass defense coverage due to speed and size.  In the past, Berryville had a strong track and field program which helped the football program.  They do not anymore except for periodic strength in cross country which does nothing for a football program.  Soccer is more of a priority now.

nuttinbuthogs

Berryville has a host of issue in getting its program to a point where it will challenge for a playoff spot with any regularity.  They have improved facilities and tried various coaches but football doesn't seem to be a priority among the kids.  They come an go from the program and don't always appear to stick around form 7th to 12 grade.  It's a community thing I think. 

OfficerHightower

Quote from: Spectator on November 02, 2019, 10:45:19 pm
Your implying they made a bad choice. My personal opinion is they couldn't have  hired a better coach, mentor, or person than Coach Shot.
So he's a great  coach, mentor, and person. I'm not going to claim to have as much knowledge about him as you do, so some if not all this might be true.

What I do know; Berryville in the last 13 years has average about 2 wins a season and not even 1 conference win, again an average... The 10 before that they averaged over 5 wins with the best being a 7 and 9 win year.  Not sure about conference wins, I know they usually finished in the middle with 1 conf championship in 04 maybe? 

So Spectator, what can be THAT different??  Our place in 4A enrollment hasn't changed drastically. Now demographics has changed some. But to not even sniff a winning season in 13 years and no more that 1 conf  win a year?! I guess your saying all that can be done is being done? I should just accept?? Don't even hope for a good year every once in a while? And how dare you question the current Coach!!

Maybe it's player development?  pee wees and Jr High? Strength Program? Maybe we're understaffed or underfunded?  I'm not a coach but I'll assume you aren't either.  sounds like you might be part of the problem? Or maybe we have to many former Berryville Coaches that want  to sit around and talk about how good of Coaches THEY where or how many THEY have won?

whippersnapper

The problem with berryville is they care more about band and soccer, simple. When I was in hs at West fork from 06-10 any band contest berryville went too they won. Beating bigger schools too. It's sad but I see more people in the home stands during pregame and halftime then the game. I'm sure that isn't the case in soccer season.

Hawk4L

Quote from: whippersnapper on November 22, 2019, 01:48:59 pm
The problem with berryville is they care more about band and soccer, simple. When I was in hs at West fork from 06-10 any band contest berryville went too they won. Beating bigger schools too. It's sad but I see more people in the home stands during pregame and halftime then the game. I'm sure that isn't the case in soccer season.
Berryville is only good at girls basketball. All there boys teams in all sports have been bad for a long time now.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 22, 2019, 02:14:41 pm
Berryville is only good at girls basketball. All there boys teams in all sports have been bad for a long time now.
I hear the dedication is just lacking at Berryville. 

x14113

When I was in hs at West fork from 06-10 any band contest berryville went too they won. Beating bigger schools too. It's sad but I see more people in the home stands during pregame and halftime then the game.

Sadly, that Golden Age of the Bobcat Band has now passed, as the directors responsible for their success have since moved on and the successors don't stay that long.

It really showed this year, too, as Berryville was given straight IIIs at the Region VI (think northern edge of the state from MH to Gravette) assessment at Rogers back in October.

For those wondering, yes, that is considered mediocre at best.

That also means no shot at the state marching championship at WMS.

The best 4A band out of R-VI now? That would be Pea Ridge, who placed 4th at state (behind Arkadelphia, Ozark, and Pokey).

With their move up next year, the region's best in 4A falls to Gentry, who placed 14th at state.

gameoflife

I've heard this explanation before about Bville but I think there is a larger problem and that's lack of dedication/commitment to what it takes to get to winning and sustain winning.  Have to go above and beyond.

RZback

Quote from: gameoflife on January 13, 2020, 11:05:15 am
I've heard this explanation before about Bville but I think there is a larger problem and that's lack of dedication/commitment to what it takes to get to winning and sustain winning.  Have to go above and beyond.
To get Berryville competitive is going to take a huge effort in the administration and the community.  Have to turn the culture there towards football.

The Coach

Quote from: RZback on January 14, 2020, 08:48:12 pm
To get Berryville competitive is going to take a huge effort in the administration and the community.  Have to turn the culture there towards football.

Will never happen then

game on

Berryville has another new Head Caoch.  Here's an old thread debating Berryvilles' prospects.  Interesting in comparison to see where they were and where they are now.

nuttinbuthogs

Keeping an eye on what happens at Bville.  It's going to be a huge job to turn that around.  The problem is cultural as much as anything.  They don't just have to want to win, they have to change their attitude to be willing to do what it takes to win.  Everybody wants to win, few do what it takes.

gameoflife

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on May 06, 2021, 10:37:46 am
Keeping an eye on what happens at Bville.  It's going to be a huge job to turn that around.  The problem is cultural as much as anything.  They don't just have to want to win, they have to change their attitude to be willing to do what it takes to win.  Everybody wants to win, few do what it takes.
Definitely a task ahead of him. 

HSFBF

May 07, 2021, 10:13:12 am #144 Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:16:24 am by HSFBF
And hopefully the assistants that remain will buy into a "new system" and dedication to winning more than before and convey this attitude to the players. I think this will happen and fans will see a different team on the field this season. I hear the assistants are hoping fans and parents will support the team and its strong desire to win. For sure, there needs to be more fans in the stands during the game than in pregame and halftime goings on, as a previous poster alluded to. First mentioned by FF wippersnapper on Nov 22, 2019, almost 2 years ago!  :-\ 
HSFB

RZback

Quote from: HSFBF on May 07, 2021, 10:13:12 am
And hopefully the assistants that remain will buy into a "new system" and dedication to winning more than before and convey this attitude to the players. I think this will happen and fans will see a different team on the field this season. I hear the assistants are hoping fans and parents will support the team and its strong desire to win. For sure, there needs to be more fans in the stands during the game than in pregame and halftime goings on, as a previous poster alluded to. First mentioned by FF wippersnapper on Nov 22, 2019, almost 2 years ago!  :-\ 
HSFB
Coaches are going to have to recruit fans.  Get out and make some headway with building a fan base.

HSFBF

Quote from: RZback on May 09, 2021, 01:18:16 pm
Coaches are going to have to recruit fans.  Get out and make some headway with building a fan base.
Just wonder if Berryville has a Rotary Club, Lions Club, good local newspaper sports editors or some noon time group gatherings where the HC and an assistant could attend and perk interest a bit. I think Eureka Springs has a weekly newspaper, and maybe some interviews of the Berryville coaching staff would be nice.  There are ways to recruit fans but winning games DOES help; the word does spread.  ;)

RZback

Quote from: HSFBF on May 09, 2021, 01:57:16 pm
Just wonder if Berryville has a Rotary Club, Lions Club, good local newspaper sports editors or some noon time group gatherings where the HC and an assistant could attend and perk interest a bit. I think Eureka Springs has a weekly newspaper, and maybe some interviews of the Berryville coaching staff would be nice.  There are ways to recruit fans but winning games DOES help; the word does spread.  ;)
People love a winner.  It's been a good while for Berryville.

OfficerHightower

As a local and alum I've given my opinion on this thread a few times. Must say, Coach Shot was a good man and good coach. But here we are a couple years later hiring again. And still searching for the answer to the riddle that is winning in Bville? Only 2 or 3 coaches in the schools history have been able figure it out. Suggestion... Look at the HCs experience, look at the experience of the Asst they were able to bring in, and look at who the Admin, mainly AD, was at that time. Do your homework and I think you'll find common denominators and the answer to the riddle. 

fbhound

Berryville is looking for an assistant coach, as one is leaving to be further NW near Rogers area closer to family ties,  and one has already signed on with Farmington recently. Think an applicant with DC experience will be a plus. I know inquiries would be listened to and interviewed very soon, especially with school ending in a couple of weeks throughout the state. Contact Berryville Admin or Coach Hutson.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas