• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New NFHS rules

Started by dragondad, February 24, 2017, 01:52:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Made

Basically this is taking out crack blocking by a receiver, and cut back blocks by Olineman when their Quarterback starts to scramble

Made

Just reread the article and saw where they are eliminating the pop up onside kick. Not sure I agree with the 5 yd penalty and possession automatically goes to receiving team, I think it should be fair catch-able rather.

Jimbo Morphis

We'll be playing flag football in 15 years.

Proud Buckaroo

How does one perfect an onside kick without the pop up?

dragondad

I didnt go back and re-read, but doesnt It state blind side blocks are legal if hands are open.

Rulesman

Quote from: dragondad on February 24, 2017, 04:03:50 pm
I didnt go back and re-read, but doesnt It state blind side blocks are legal if hands are open.
Correct.

purpleswag

Quote from: Oldman on February 24, 2017, 02:21:35 pm
We'll be playing flag football in 15 years.

State needs to switch to NCAA rules like Texas

Rulesman

Quote from: purpleswag on February 24, 2017, 08:15:14 pm
State needs to switch to NCAA rules like Texas
People complain about NCAA rules, too. Pick your poison.

purpleswag

Quote from: Rulesman on February 24, 2017, 08:37:18 pm
People complain about NCAA rules, too. Pick your poison.

I did...NCAA rules

FBGFDRUM

This is getting ridiculous.

Mark my words, in 20 years all you will have to do is tag the quarterback to get a sack.

dragondad

Quote from: FBGFDRUM on February 26, 2017, 01:38:08 pm
This is getting ridiculous.

Mark my words, in 20 years all you will have to do is tag the quarterback to get a sack.

I was going to say flag football, but you're right.... pulling on those flags, someone might break a nail

CoolBreeze

The way I read the article. Defensive backs will no longer be able to hit the receiver as the ball arrives to knock it free. They will also have to be careful not to touch a receiver with their body before he comes down and catches his balance when they attempt to slap the ball out of his hands.

Am I wrong? I certainly hope so.

Instead of flag football, they'' be playing touch, but players will have to carry feathers or something equally harmless to "touch" the ball carriers with.

Rulesman

Quote from: CoolBreeze on February 28, 2017, 04:45:48 pm
The way I read the article. Defensive backs will no longer be able to hit the receiver as the ball arrives to knock it free. They will also have to be careful not to touch a receiver with their body before he comes down and catches his balance when they attempt to slap the ball out of his hands.

Am I wrong? I certainly hope so.

You're wrong.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Rulesman on February 28, 2017, 05:55:58 pm
You're wrong.
I hope you're right, but the article says a receiver is a defenseless player before he establishes himself as a runner.

I used to practice law, and the language is certainly susceptible to that interpretation.

Dayton Kitchens

I've talked with a number of other football coaches and one consistent opinion is that the efforts by rules makers to reduce devastating knee injuries has had the impact (on pun intended) of moving the areas of injury "up" to the neck and head.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 01, 2017, 01:03:10 pm
I've talked with a number of other football coaches and one consistent opinion is that the efforts by rules makers to reduce devastating knee injuries has had the impact (on pun intended) of moving the areas of injury "up" to the neck and head.

They are now moving them back down.

Longfellow

There is no way to completely remove injuries from football. It seems like everyone knows that except the people that make the rules. Instead of making rules trying to protect players, spend money on educating kids how to properly tackle and educating coaches on how to teach kids properly. I'm not saying that coaches do a bad job, it just seems that teaching proper form falls down on the list of priorities

Rulesman

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 01, 2017, 10:21:25 am
I hope you're right, but the article says a receiver is a defenseless player before he establishes himself as a runner.

I used to practice law, and the language is certainly susceptible to that interpretation.
And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🙄

Lions84

Flag football is coming soon.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Lions84 on April 11, 2017, 03:29:51 pm
Flag football is coming soon.
Nah! It's too rough. Someone might get his hand caught in the flag and break a nail.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on February 24, 2017, 03:22:37 pm
How does one perfect an onside kick without the pop up?

Pick a Target on the other team and kick it at him all night....Works quite well when you pick the right target...

Nomad1324

They're talking about the onside kick where the ball is driven directly off the tee onto the ground, thereby sending the ball skying like it was just pooch kicked. Normal onside kicks that run along the ground and pop up on their own are still legal.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas