• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russellville HC Job (filled - Jeff Weaver)

Started by GotInfo?, January 25, 2017, 10:31:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GotInfo?

January 25, 2017, 10:31:37 am Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:40:22 pm by Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian
Pending board approval, Billy Dawson will be next HC at Fayetteville.

AD Johnson will more than likely look for a proven HC to take over job.  Just coming off winning a state title will draw some serious interest.  Even though they lose a lot from the championship team, the program is in a lot better shape than it was 2 years ago.

Thoughts??

Rida4Life

Benji Mahan...... some thought he was in line for the Fayetteville job. 
Scott Reed.... name was a constant on HC threads for a couple of years... he appears to be happy at EHS so this is somewhat unlikely.
Chris Hill...well documented job hopper...
Tim Harper.... same as Hill.
who did I miss?

Mahan would be a good hire in my opinion.

purpleswag

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 25, 2017, 10:38:33 am
Benji Mahan...... some thought he was in line for the Fayetteville job. 
Scott Reed.... name was a constant on HC threads for a couple of years... he appears to be happy at EHS so this is somewhat unlikely.
Chris Hill...well documented job hopper...
Tim Harper.... same as Hill.
who did I miss?

Mahan would be a good hire in my opinion.

Hill just left a state title contender to go coach at Harding U. Doubt he will apply. Harper will probably try and get it

beach bum

Harper will now coach almost 20% of the 6A next year when he has this job along with Sheridan and Texarkana.

Pat Swilling

johnhickey33

They will look to promote DC and former Ole Miss assistant Dave Wheeler to be the HC

cyclones_52

AHS2005

go get Les Miles hahahah...cant wait till yall have to come down here after the thumping we took up there..its going to get interesting next year...shout out Billy Dawson though...he made yall relevant for a year

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: johnhickey33 on January 25, 2017, 12:32:36 pm
They will look to promote DC and former Ole Miss assistant Dave Wheeler to be the HC

This may be a good move, can continue things that helped in the success this past season, kids know him, staff knows him and he can tweak whatever he wants to change.  I don't think he would make huge changes but you never know.  He would have to put his footprint on the program to make it his own.

RiverRunner02

Quote from: AHS2005 on January 25, 2017, 02:04:37 pm
go get Les Miles hahahah...cant wait till yall have to come down here after the thumping we took up there..its going to get interesting next year...shout out Billy Dawson though...he made yall relevant for a year
We're still relevant. Don't get it twisted.

SackAttack

Wasnt one of Dawsons foundational blocks loyalty to the program???

Iknewthemwhen

I'm sure he was, until a better offer came along.  You simply cannot fault a man for taking a better deal or moving up to what many would consider the top program in the state.

Valleysports

Quote from: cyclones_52 on January 25, 2017, 12:42:08 pm
Cody McNabb at Morrilton

Bring Cody home, Johnny  :)  McNabb was the DC coordinator at Russellville, kept the team from quitting many times.  Kids respect him and fight for him.  Russellville immediately fell from 7A Semi's to 6A cellar when he left for Morrilton.

Valleysports

Quote from: SackAttack on January 25, 2017, 05:35:43 pm
Wasnt one of Dawsons foundational blocks loyalty to the program???

I don't know any Russellville fans who fault him for moving from 6A to Fayetteville 7A.  He's got some great athletes in that group.  Good man / Great coach, Russellville is thankful he dropped by.....

Rob Van Winkle

January 26, 2017, 10:59:55 am #14 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:17:07 am by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: Valleysports on January 26, 2017, 10:26:34 am
I don't know any Russellville fans who fault him for moving from 6A to Fayetteville 7A.  He's got some great athletes in that group.  Good man / Great coach, Russellville is thankful he dropped by.....
Exactly!!! There was only 1 high school job in the state that would make him leave Russellville and it is the job he took. No one can blame him for taking this position.

Road_Dogg

Quote from: RiverRunner02 on January 25, 2017, 05:15:48 pm
We're still relevant. Don't get it twisted.

Siloam Springs thought and said same thing when he went back to Nashville

RiverRunner02

Quote from: Road_Dogg on January 26, 2017, 03:33:03 pm
Siloam Springs thought and said same thing when he went back to Nashville
Siloam also didn't win a state championship either. Makes our job very appealing to lots of great coaches.

Iknewthemwhen

It goes back to a better job, how many of you would not take a better job if offered?

gameoflife

I'm sure RV hates to see Coach Dawson leave so quickly but he leaves the program better off and moving in a positive direction.  I wonder who might go to Fayetteville with him and who will stick around. 

rona

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 26, 2017, 10:59:55 am
Exactly!!! There was only 1 high school job in the state that would make him leave Russellville and it is the job he took. No one can blame him for taking this position.

Wrong - there are some really neat HS jobs in Arkansas that would interest him - just so happens a great Fayetteville job came along at this time and he was ready to move - his nature requires he look at good opportunities. He is a good man and coach. He also Loves High School Football. Tried the College scene and said "not for him". Like a lot of the rest of us, he has not yet determined what he wants to do when he grows up. But gosh the trip can be a lot of fun!

Rob Van Winkle

January 28, 2017, 09:36:38 am #20 Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:55:12 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: rona on January 27, 2017, 09:48:23 pm
Wrong - there are some really neat HS jobs in Arkansas that would interest him - just so happens a great Fayetteville job came along at this time and he was ready to move - his nature requires he look at good opportunities. He is a good man and coach. He also Loves High School Football. Tried the College scene and said "not for him". Like a lot of the rest of us, he has not yet determined what he wants to do when he grows up. But gosh the trip can be a lot of fun!
No your wrong Mr. Colonel Sanders!!!

Dawson is not looking for a "neat" high school job. While there may be a couple of others that would be of interest to him (Greenwood, PA), FV is a great spot for him. Yes he does have nomadic characteristics and may very well go back to preaching at some point, but he won't settle for a "neat" job any time soon.

rona

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 28, 2017, 09:36:38 am
No your wrong Mr. Colonel Sanders!!!

Dawson is not looking for a "neat" high school job. While there may be a couple of others that would be of interest to him (Greenwood, PA), FV is a great spot for him. Yes he does nomadic characteristics and may very well go back to preaching at some point, but he won't settle for a "neat" job any time soon.
[/quot

You are correct!

catfish1

AHS2005

yall should go get todd ledford??

tomdawg55

If not for a transfer  from Texas we would not be having this discussion on how GREaT Russellville was this year

Redwolves8526

Quote from: tomdawg55 on January 30, 2017, 08:42:31 pm
If not for a transfer  from Texas we would not be having this discussion on how GREaT Russellville was this year

So? They are state champs. Better than anyone in 6A and took care of business in the state championship game. If Greenwood didn't have transfers or Jones we wouldn't be talking about how good they were. See how much sense that makes?

GotInfo?

Word is that Russellville has their next HC.
Early word is they are going into the college ranks for the next HC.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: tomdawg55 on January 30, 2017, 08:42:31 pm
You seem like a take my ball and go home sort of guy with this post.

Wildcat Football

January 31, 2017, 10:26:11 am #28 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:32:32 am by Wildcat Football
Drive time sports radio had discussion this AM. Sounds like they are hiring some coach from Pinola, MS?  Not sure if this is true or not, HS or College coach?  They had Coach Brad Bolding (New LR Parkview coach) talking up the coach's clinic in Hot Springs (Arlington Hotel) starting Friday.  They will have Bielema and Gene Stallings there, other speakers will be all State Champ coaches, over 700 registered, last year number was around 200, I believe.  They also said Fayetteville will be down this year, so we'll see if Dawson can work magic there next season.  You have to be a coach or intern to attend, makes sense.

Valleysports

January 31, 2017, 04:08:37 pm #29 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:15:06 pm by Valleysports
 ::)

Made

Quote from: Wildcat Football on January 31, 2017, 10:26:11 am
Drive time sports radio had discussion this AM. Sounds like they are hiring some coach from Pinola, MS?  Not sure if this is true or not, HS or College coach?  They had Coach Brad Bolding (New LR Parkview coach) talking up the coach's clinic in Hot Springs (Arlington Hotel) starting Friday.  They will have Bielema and Gene Stallings there, other speakers will be all State Champ coaches, over 700 registered, last year number was around 200, I believe.  They also said Fayetteville will be down this year, so we'll see if Dawson can work magic there next season.  You have to be a coach or intern to attend, makes sense.
wondering what a down year is for Fayetteville......

GotInfo?

Heard its between Lance Pogue, former HC at South Panola HS in Mississippi, and Ken Collums, former HC at Abliene Christian University.  Collums also played and coached at UCA.

Both would be considered good hires.  Big question is will they stay.  Pogue won 5 state titles at South Panola.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: GotInfo? on February 01, 2017, 09:29:21 am
Heard its between Lance Pogue, former HC at South Panola HS in Mississippi, and Ken Collums, former HC at Abliene Christian University.  Collums also played and coached at UCA.

Both would be considered good hires.  Big question is will they stay.  Pogue won 5 state titles at South Panola.

Why is he trying to come to Russelville? No offense to Russvegas but South Panola was nationally ranked at one point

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on February 01, 2017, 09:31:57 am
Why is he trying to come to Russelville? No offense to Russvegas but South Panola was nationally ranked at one point

Probably for a job, he said they were former head coaches.

Valleysports

And the quality of life - we've got a package deal ready with duck hunting, fishing, air charters, and a little under the table hand shake. Step up from college...

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2017, 10:02:20 am
Probably for a job, he said they were former head coaches.

Missed that. Wonder why he left

Iknewthemwhen

Not as a deal breaker, but does anybody ever look into why these out of state guys, and sometimes college guys are leaving another state to come here. 

Valleysports

February 02, 2017, 07:37:08 am #37 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:38:44 am by Valleysports
See above post concerning package deal.  Maybe family or another resource in this town .........   No done deals!  lol

Oldbadger

Not to disparage the people from some of the surrounding states, but, teacher pay in Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Mississippi are not as good as Arkansas.  This is especially true in Oklahoma, where according to my understanding, they are having many issues with school funding, which would correlate to low teachers salaries.  Can't give specific examples of pay, only using "hearsay" evidence.  If someone can find that info, you will probably learn the answer as to why coaches come to Arkansas.  Other than, of course, we have great hunting, fishing, lakes and streams, not to mention great people.lol

Missco

February 02, 2017, 11:09:23 am #39 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:14:03 am by Missco
I am sure Pogue was paid very well at SP. He announced he was leaving right before the season started. He would be a good hire. SP hired Rickey Woods back that sarted SP as a natiobal powerhouse. Pogue won 5 state titles and 1 National title at SP.

gameoflife

I always heard that coaching salaries at the bigger or more successful schools always were able to find money to hire and keep coaches in any state..

Missco

They are. He didnt leave SP because of money.

ricepig

Missco

No, he left because he had in enough years to draw retirement and the job is a pressure cooker. 

Valleysports

mohawk

Have they hired Pogue? Or is this just a rumor...

ATUALUM26

Quote from: Valleysports on February 06, 2017, 08:35:14 am
Does he have children?
Yes, his son Tyler just signed to play football at Arkansas Tech. He also has a daughter in the 8th grade.

6A Fan

Pogue was supposed to give Johnson an answer yesterday but nothing has been announced.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

ATUALUM26

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas