• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill to Harding?

Started by Made, December 13, 2016, 04:28:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

walkingguy72396

Just wondering if there is a stat for teams who are able to come back from 21 points down.

My take on being able to do it.  Has less to do with what style of offense a team runs.

Come backs are fueled by extra possessions and 3 and outs.

Grond

December 15, 2016, 12:23:21 pm #51 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:26:18 pm by Grond
Here is some info on Harding's 2016 football roster:

State/Players/Percent
AL   11   9%
AR   31   26%
AZ   1   1%
CA   4   3%
CO   1   1%
FL   13   11%
GA   1   1%
LA   3   3%
MO   1   1%
MS   3   3%
NC   1   1%
OK   7   6%
SC   1   1%
TN   12   10%
TX   29   24%
Total: 119   

Note that the number of players from Texas & Arkansas are about equal. They also like Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

There are no players from Wynne, Batesville, or Pulaski Academy.

Oldbadger

Walkingguy, I doubt there is any stats regarding teams who run a specific offense and their ability to come back from 21 down.  However, it seems less to do with 3 and out as to do with how long it takes to score.  Granted, it is possible, but I always felt good when my team was 21 ahead against an option offense.  When Benton played Mt. Home, it took Mt. Home almost 8 minutes to score on their first possession.  So, it takes foreeevvveer for an option team to come back.  That's my humble opinion!lol

oldjacketman

Wynne led the state in scoring. They scored 35 points in the first quarter against batesville. 77 against chapel in the game. Averaged close to 50 per. I'd say with that type of productivity they must have been scoring pretty quickly from the option offense.

walkingguy72396

Making up 21 points. 
True always nice to be able to strike quickly.
But once the team that is behind scores they need the ball back.
I find from watching my share of High School football games.
That to score over 28 points in a half it takes turn-overs combined with the defense forcing punts.

Hard to score with-out the ball.  Those are only worth 2 points any-way.

purpleswag

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 15, 2016, 03:20:25 pm
Walkingguy, I doubt there is any stats regarding teams who run a specific offense and their ability to come back from 21 down.  However, it seems less to do with 3 and out as to do with how long it takes to score.  Granted, it is possible, but I always felt good when my team was 21 ahead against an option offense.  When Benton played Mt. Home, it took Mt. Home almost 8 minutes to score on their first possession.  So, it takes foreeevvveer for an option team to come back.  That's my humble opinion!lol

Probably has more to do with Benton just being that much better than Mt. Home than what offense they run

tmycjy

I want to congratulate coach hill on the job at Harding but I'm also sad that he leaving and wynne  will have to have a new coach I want to wish coach hill luck as he coach at Harding a little information on coach hill record at Wynne high school

2011.  9-3 6-1 2 place in east quarter final in playoff
2012. 12-1 7-0 east champion simi finals in playoff
2013  9-3.  6-1 2 place in east quarter finals in playoff
2014 12-2 6-1 2 place in east state runner up in playoff
2015  7-5. 6-1 3 way tie for east tittle 2ed seed quarter finals in playoff
2016 13-1 7-0 east champion state runner up in playoffs

For a total of 62- 15  a coffrent record of 38- 3 a playoff record of 11-6

I wish coach Chris Hill and family luck on what they do in the future and hope one day we will be watch collage football on t.v. Or pro football and they say head coach Chris hill

Dr. Defense

If Tyler Turner wants it he would be a great choice. He's done an excellent job in Tennesee

playmaker04

Wynne set a modern day Arkansas record for rushing yardage in a season with over 6000 yards. Behind only 1925 pine bluff which had over 8000.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: playmaker04 on December 16, 2016, 11:01:23 am
Wynne set a modern day Arkansas record for rushing yardage in a season with over 6000 yards. Behind only 1925 pine bluff which had over 8000.

Good Lord! How many games did they play that year?  Even with a 20 game schedule that would've been over 400 yards per game.

Rick Swines

Hearing rumors they already have their Coach in place.

OB11

Quote from: Rick Swines on December 16, 2016, 02:06:39 pm

It's got to be internal then doesn't it?

stinger1

would like to hear more details on those rumors

Jckt4years

Nope.  Cannot even post it or accept applications yet.  Hill has to officially submit a resignation. 

Yellowcake

Well, don't be a jackmonkey about it! This is THE place for rumors. Spill the beans my friend! Who is it?

Don't be surprised if it's a former 7A coach with some championships. Saline county.

That's the rumor I am starting.

Made

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 17, 2016, 12:08:45 am
Well, don't be a jackmonkey about it! This is THE place for rumors. Spill the beans my friend! Who is it?

Don't be surprised if it's a former 7A coach with some championships. Saline county.

That's the rumor I am starting.
....I'm gonna go with a coach who has won a state championship in the flexbone

walkingguy72396

I was wondering why Barry Switzer attended a Yellow Jacket 9th grade game.  Now I think I know who is going to get offered.

Intelligentsia

I heard Houston Nutt was going to try to revive his career?  Could be just a rumor, however. ::)

oldjacketman

Jon Gruden has been holding out for something...

AirWarren

Quote from: Made on December 17, 2016, 02:47:20 am
....I'm gonna go with a coach who has won a state championship in the flexbone

Darryl Patton. Saline county is his home. So he may stick around.
Van Paschal. Loves this type of offense and he will have the horses to win.

tmycjy

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 17, 2016, 07:42:40 am
I was wondering why Barry Switzer attended a Yellow Jacket 9th grade game.  Now I think I know who is going to get offered.

Hey u want to know why here attended a 9th grade game one of are coaches on the sport staff is related to him so he came to see his Neffue play football on the 9th grade team

Jckt4years

Quote from: AirWarren on December 17, 2016, 08:55:53 am
Darryl Patton. Saline county is his home. So he may stick around.
Van Paschal. Loves this type of offense and he will have the horses to win.

VP would also provide harmony, integrity, and a solid role model for the players.   Of course from what I understand there are some already on staff that could also provide that as well as the current AD.

Rick Swines

The current ad or Clark Mcbride will be the next coach.

Jckt4years

Quote from: Rick Swines on December 17, 2016, 08:01:26 pm

Either one will be just fine.  Players respect both of them and would run through a wall for either of these two men!!

stinger1

They will look through a stack of applications and choose someone who has a track record of winning big from a head position, that has a reputation of getting along with other sports and will continue with the work ethic that hill set as the standard.

purpleswag

Am I the only one who thinks letting the AD apply is a bad idea?? What if he doesn't get it? That would be a nightmare scenario for a new coach even if he's on staff

Rick Swines

stinger1

FD4

What about Chuck Norris, he could win with only one player!

titan33

What's their records as a head coach?

stinger1

Just seen deangelo Williams in town and heard tommy tubberville was being coming in on a private plane owned by yellow jacket booster and he is not coming to duck hunt

UncleRico

Moody has ties in that area, don't know if he wants to leave McClellan or not tho. Looking at what he's done there, I believe he'd be a strong candidate .

FD4

The strongest candidates I could think of right now would be Bo Hembre (Warren), Lance Pogue (South Panola Mississippi), Chris Kennon (McCrory), Michael White (Mt. Ida), Terry Farmer (England), Clay Totty (Rison).

While it would be unlikely Clay would leave Rison, and I imagin Bo would not leave Warren, the latter of those two would make a huge impact.  Kennon would be a great fit as well, the Jags are looking at a strong team in two years and should make a great four year run of it.  However Lance would be a crown jewel of a coach given his record at Batesville's "University of South Panola" for Mississippi high school football with 5 state titles and one national title to his credit.  Both Michael and Terry have been very consistent for the past two years with hard working young men giving all they could every Friday night.  I like the idea of giving a hard look at the 2A coaches as they all have proved themselves as head coaches.  The thought of stepping up to 5A with a school like Wynne would most definitely bring out their best. 

Leadbelly

Quote from: AirWarren on December 13, 2016, 04:50:35 pm
Not sure why anyone would pull from retirement money to make ends meet. But each their own.

So. Who is headed to wynne?
Don't have to pull anything from retirement. If he has his 28 years in teacher retirement, he can retire at full compensation plus work for HU and get another check.

Oldbadger

Leadbelly, we discussed this on the first page of the thread.  He is 50 years old and has been coaching 19 years.  It IS possible that he has 28 years teaching but unlikely that he would have taught 9 years, then  got into coaching for 19.  However, if he did take a pay cut, it is MORE than made up by getting a pass on tuition at HU for both his kids one of whom is already at HU. I personally think he made a great decision for him and his family at this stage of his career.  He won't be able to draw any money from his state retirement until he is 60, but it will be in addition to his HU retirement.  I'm sure his wife works and don't think he will be hurting at all. 

FD4

Teachers Retirement may be like this also.........20/55 or 28/0ut.  The police and firefighters pensions were pretty much patterned after the teachers.  With us, 20 years service and age 55 or 28 years service and walk away at any age. 

Oldbadger

Ironically, most assistant coaches in college, in Arkansas, except for perhaps ASU or UofA, leave to go to the high school ranks because they make more money.  There are some, like Hill, who go to a college to coach for other reason, perhaps, than the money, but I can name very few.

Pat Swilling

Anyone know what Coach Hill will be in charge of?  Simmons should make this guy OC

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FD4 on December 20, 2016, 12:16:20 pm
The strongest candidates I could think of right now would be Bo Hembre (Warren), Lance Pogue (South Panola Mississippi), Chris Kennon (McCrory), Michael White (Mt. Ida), Terry Farmer (England), Clay Totty (Rison).

While it would be unlikely Clay would leave Rison, and I imagin Bo would not leave Warren, the latter of those two would make a huge impact.  Kennon would be a great fit as well, the Jags are looking at a strong team in two years and should make a great four year run of it.  However Lance would be a crown jewel of a coach given his record at Batesville's "University of South Panola" for Mississippi high school football with 5 state titles and one national title to his credit.  Both Michael and Terry have been very consistent for the past two years with hard working young men giving all they could every Friday night.  I like the idea of giving a hard look at the 2A coaches as they all have proved themselves as head coaches.  The thought of stepping up to 5A with a school like Wynne would most definitely bring out their best. 

Has white applied? I'm assuming you are just tossing out his name.... He's a mt ida graduate...And has been there 10+ years with 2 state titles and will be a favorite to win his 3rd next season..

Iknewthemwhen

What an interesting read this evening.  Here are a few things I found interesting.  Coaches are largely responsible for good results on athletic teams.  Therefore PA doesn't recruit, because otherwise they would have been good before Kelly?  Well not if the prior coach wasn't good, and not if Kelly began the recruiting.  Because someone shares a particular opinion, of a poster, that proves the posters' point.  I didn't think opinion proved much of anything.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 21, 2016, 08:27:41 am
Ironically, most assistant coaches in college, in Arkansas, except for perhaps ASU or UofA, leave to go to the high school ranks because they make more money.  There are some, like Hill, who go to a college to coach for other reason, perhaps, than the money, but I can name very few.

The smaller colleges in Arkansas don't pay that well and from what I understand it's always been that way.  A young coach can go to a small college to coach and in return work on a master degree, get their foot in the door at the collegiate level, maybe get a break on some college housing cost and food budget.  If he is married and his wife has a pretty good job, he can stay a while.  Other wise they often leave because they simply cannot afford to stay for too long unless they like eating beans and peanut butter, and living in the dorm.

FD4

HF, I was just tossing his name in.  In my little minded opinion you sort of hint to a successful coach your interested as opposed to opening up the flood gates to see what  you get.  I like his offense.  But, as you point out, he is a Mt Ida grad and it would be hard to leave that country for life in the Delta where the skeeters are the size of black birds.

Qhcaoc

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 21, 2016, 08:27:41 am

If his kids go to the university then he would get a tuition break that would be worth it for their time there at least.

STBruin

Heard he has 2 daughters at Harding, so the tuition break alone at a private college is probably the driving factor

Grond

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 03, 2017, 07:14:27 pm
The smaller colleges in Arkansas don't pay that well and from what I understand it's always been that way.  A young coach can go to a small college to coach and in return work on a master degree, get their foot in the door at the collegiate level, maybe get a break on some college housing cost and food budget.  If he is married and his wife has a pretty good job, he can stay a while.  Other wise they often leave because they simply cannot afford to stay for too long unless they like eating beans and peanut butter, and living in the dorm.

Correct! - Harding has six paid coaches (like most D2 colleges), and they have a few coaches listed as "volunteers". The private colleges may be able to get a little more creative with their accounting (pay coaches in other ways).

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas