• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Russellville and Greenwood: Round 2 at the Rock

Started by Warriors023, November 25, 2016, 10:19:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins this?

Russellville
30 (40%)
Greenwood
45 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: December 02, 2016, 10:44:10 am

Warriors023

November 25, 2016, 10:19:44 pm Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:32:59 pm by Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian
Let's get it started. Convincing win by Russleville over a very good Benton team. Greenwood with a nail-biter over PB. Thoughts?

Yellowcake

Win lose or draw, congrats to Russelville for doing what no one expected this year. Hope they win it all.

Oldbadger

Benton's corner's had a hard time covering the WRs of Russellville tonight.  That was ultimately the difference in the game.  Benton had a difficult time running the ball also.  Greenwood will be able to do both.  I would have a hard time going with the Cyclones in this one.  I will also wait a few days to give a score but I really think the Bulldogs will win it all!

admorris24

Was more impressed with RV the 2nd time around tonight against us That will be one great game next Saturday night.

Lumberjackfan1978

PiratePride03

Great job to my neighbors to the south.   I'll definitely be watching Russellville win state on Friday night!  Only lost by 3 in greenwood,  so at a neutral site,  an improved Cyclone team is gonna take the rematch.

The Future

November 26, 2016, 07:03:01 am #6 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:01:05 pm by The Future
Congrats to both teams. The goal of every team in August is to be playing in December.
We have a tale of two teams here with the favorite all season and the always improving underdog. Greenwood was preseason number 1 and a strong favorite to win it all. Russellville has always had the talent, just didn't have the staff to put it all together. They started out the season with a strong win against Morrilton and never looked back. Week after week and win after win they climbed the ladder. A close loss to Greenwood has been their only setback. Each week, their WMS chances kept rising. Russellville should be proud where their program is heading.

Havent read anything on how the Russellville Benton game went yet, but it sounded like Russellville didn't have too much resistence.
Will that play a factor on Saturday? Russellville's last close tough game was week 7 at Greenwood while Greenwood has come off of a nailbitter and a hard fought 17 point win. That alone I would say no to. But that added to the pressure of playing for the title at WMS against a strong battle tested Greenwood team could be a bit too much. I'm not saying its the reason Pine Bluff won last year, but you could tell the Greenwood guys had a bit of the jitters playing for their first title while Pine Bluff had the previous year's experience. I think the first quarter and part of the second Russellville might seem sluggish or nervous. But they'll kick it into gear and be ready and play hard.

3 big keys to this game for each team:
Greenwood
-Get pressure on that QB
-Contain WRs
- 2 QB system

Russellville
-Match scores or at least match 3 and outs
-Tackle on first contact
-Don't be afraid to go for the big play every a couple times. Greenwood has been known to let them by.

I think this game will be right around 60 points. Not quite as low scoring as last time but we definitely won't see a 100 point game here.

Some predictions:
-Both Greenwood QBs have a passing and rushing TD
-Russellville will have at least 2 pass or rush TDs of over 30 yards
-Tim Terry says 3rd and a cab ride twice.
-Both defenses will have an interception. No fumbles.
-Score spread at half will be 7.
-Greenwood 34 Russellville 28

The Future

Quote from: PiratePride03 on November 26, 2016, 06:39:18 am
Great job to my neighbors to the south.   I'll definitely be watching Russellville win state on Friday night!  Only lost by 3 in greenwood,  so at a neutral site,  an improved Cyclone team is gonna take the rematch.

Russellville aint the only one improved here. Also, a WMS game is more of a home field advantage to Greenwood than it is a neutral site   ;D

Coach Venny Slocombe

GW showed last night that this team has no quit in them. PB had the big mo in the 3rd quarter and I have to say I thought the game was fixing to get ugly. Right when I thought GW was toast...the offense started clicking and the defense made stops...I just think it's GW's time again...RHS had a great season...but it stops here...and RHS does not have near the athletes PB has...

GW - 42
RHS - 21

PiratePride03

Oh I don't know about that,  WM is only about 80 miles away.   I'm sure Russellville will fill their share of stands.

Pr8hd

November 26, 2016, 11:03:35 am #10 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:22:14 am by Pr8hd
I think what Russ did with Benton was impressive no doubt. I think Benton had a very emotional victory the week prior while Russ also cruised against WM. Russ hasn't had a tight game yet in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure of a tight game on the biggest stage.  I think the championship game sets up similar though, GW coming off an emotional win and must get up again for the biggest one of them all season.

In the first meeting, GW controlled Russ for the first 3 qtrs and never got the jugular and  Russ made a nice late comeback. I am not sure how this one will play out, but GW has an edge on experience of being there 8 of the last 12 years including last year. I know how this week goes at GW having had one go thru the last GW state title and many fans know as well. Most importantly,so does the coaching staff (most all coached in those titles or played for some of those titles here) and GW's players have been around the program, watched past teams succeed, and have had the target on their back all year. They know the expectations year in and year out. Russ is in uncharted territory or at least it has been some time. Dawson has done a great job and Cyclones have had a heckuva year, but Saturday the Bulldogs should have the edge to capture their 8th title under Jones and 9th since 2000.

Made

Pr8hd

Quote from: Made on November 26, 2016, 11:08:06 am
That WM team only lost by 1 to PB 4 weeks ago

Honestly, if comparing scores....which generally means nothing. GW beat Russ head to head. No better score to compare than that one, right?

jeffslilbro

;) ;)
Quote from: Pr8hd on November 26, 2016, 11:17:37 am
Honestly, if comparing scores....which generally means nothing. GW beat Russ head to head. No better score to compare than that one, right?

Made

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 26, 2016, 11:17:37 am
Not disagreeing with you at all. Just have a feeling this game will be much closer than the previous meeting.

johnhickey33

Greenwood those Cyclones are coming for yalls head!! for the whole 6A everybody's tired of y'alls football team little talent just perfect execution and the more talented team is going to win Saturday.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: johnhickey33 on November 26, 2016, 12:16:00 pm
Greenwood those Cyclones are coming for yalls head!! for the whole 6A everybody's tired of y'alls football team little talent just perfect execution and the more talented team is going to win Saturday.
Wow...I'm sure Rick Jones has never heard that before...

AT

I have never got to see the tape of the Greenwood-Russellville game (darn you Greenwood for making your games for pay!)

I know Russellville made a comeback but how did Greenwood control the game so long and have to hang on? Did Russellville start clicking on offense? Turnovers? Field position?

The Future

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 26, 2016, 12:59:22 pm
I have never got to see the tape of the Greenwood-Russellville game (darn you Greenwood for making your games for pay!)

I know Russellville made a comeback but how did Greenwood control the game so long and have to hang on? Did Russellville start clicking on offense? Turnovers? Field position?

www.greenwooddogpound.com has all the games from this season in its library for free

AT

Quote from: The Future on November 26, 2016, 01:03:24 pm
www.greenwooddogpound.com has all the games from this season in its library for free

Oh! You made my day. I just assumed. That's what assuming does.

maxswine

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 26, 2016, 12:59:22 pm

I went to this game.  I would say Greenwood controlled the game for a half.  I remember the second half Russellville scored on their first possession.  I think the third quarter was almost a stalemate, but pretty sure Russellville outscored Greenwood in the 3rd and 4th quarters.  I don't think there were any turnovers and I think field possession was even.  I just remember it being a good ball game. 

Pr8hd

Quote from: Made on November 26, 2016, 12:09:08 pm
Not disagreeing with you at all. Just have a feeling this game will be much closer than the previous meeting.

It's going to be hard to beat a 3 pt differential, but would be surprised if it's not closely contested again.

Pr8hd

Quote from: maxswine on November 26, 2016, 01:35:52 pm
I went to this game.  I would say Greenwood controlled the game for a half.  I remember the second half Russellville scored on their first possession.  I think the third quarter was almost a stalemate, but pretty sure Russellville outscored Greenwood in the 3rd and 4th quarters.  I don't think there were any turnovers and I think field possession was even.  I just remember it being a good ball game. 

GW had a few chances to go up by 3 scores and did not. Russ defense bowed up on a couple of occasions to keep the score more manageable and keep them in the game. GW better figure a way to cover the big TE, he hurt GW more than any other I thought. 

Wildcat_Booster

Greenwood-35--  Russellville--20. Russelville's 1st time on the big stage will play a huge part in this game. State Championships games are BIGGER than regular play-off games.

Maynard G Krebs

Impressive job gone by Dawson at Russellville but I believe Greenwood will prevail.

The Future

Greenwood is 6-0 when playing a team a second time in a season and 10-1 overall, each with one game pending. 3 of which have been the second round while the other 3 have taken/ will take place at the Rock.
05 Morrilton 50-13 W, 35-32 W championship
07 LRC 44-7 L, 27-6 W championship
12 Parkview 34-21 W, 58-21 W second round
13 Parkview 42-0 W, 45-0 W second round
16 El Dorado 49-21 W, 20-3 W second round
16 Russellville 27-24 W, ???? championship

If the numbers tell anything, this game will be very different than the previous meeting.

Another not as relavent but still interesting stat is Greenwood is 5-1 in championship rematches that happen the following year.
Wynne- 04 L, 05 W
Morrilton- 05 W, 06 W
PA- 06 W, 07 W
Camden- 10 W, 11 W
Pine Bluff- 12 W, 13 L
Pine Bluff- 15 L, 16 W

3 times Greenwood won both times. Twice we have loss and then got our revenge. And onces we won but weren't able to get the win the next time around.

amerra

You'll be hearing a lot of this "Fulsom to Stokes for the first down" "Touch down Stokes" or "It's picked off by Woodard"

Pr8hd

November 28, 2016, 10:18:11 am #27 Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:42:52 am by Pr8hd
Looking at the forecast  if it holds up for LR on Sat. it will be cold (low 38/high 47) with a good chance of rain especially in the evening (70%). I am not sure who, if anyone, this favors on a potentially wet/cold field. I guess GW will be home seed again since they are on top of the bracket  and Russellville will be the visitor? I forgot how that works..I know we were home seed last year. 

Also, any odds on the over/under for clock malfunctions?  ;D

pine-ryder

Granny4two

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 26, 2016, 01:45:30 pm
GW had a few chances to go up by 3 scores and did not. Russ defense bowed up on a couple of occasions to keep the score more manageable and keep them in the game. GW better figure a way to cover the big TE, he hurt GW more than any other I thought. 

If I remember correctly, I think it was Homecoming at Greenwood that night, and Greenwood NEVER plays their best game on Homecoming.

jeffslilbro

Pr8hd

November 28, 2016, 06:40:18 pm #31 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:02:51 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Granny4two on November 28, 2016, 05:07:26 pm

If I remember correctly, I think it was Homecoming at Greenwood that night, and Greenwood NEVER plays their best game on Homecoming.

It was homecoming and while that can be true sometimes...the previous 5 years before the 2016 version don't show that at least by score:

2015 GW 42 Siloam Springs 0 (mercy rule)
2014 GW 40 Russellville 0      (mercy rule)
2013 GW 42 LR Parkview 0     (mercy rule)
2012 GW 42 LR Catholic 14     (mercy rule)   ...I think this was it.
2011 GW 45 Vilonia 15

So, at least on margin of victory, they have been pretty good on homecoming, but they may not have played as well as they could with the added distractions or the quality of the opponent in some cases.

The 2016 homecoming game w/ Russellville would be the closest GW has had in sometime, maybe ever under CRJ?  I only checked the last 5 years. I will say though the earlier game was not that tight til the end when Russ made a nice comeback as GW got a little too lax in the 4th frame.  It was 27-10 at the start of the 4th qtr and GW never trailed the whole game.

GW better come to play in all 4 quarters in this one.

Pr8hd

November 28, 2016, 06:47:29 pm #32 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:00:53 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: amerra on November 27, 2016, 11:43:51 pm
You'll be hearing a lot of this "Fulsom to Stokes for the first down" "Touch down Stokes" or "It's picked off by Woodard"

Funny, I don't recall hearing much of or any of those phrases in the first game.   :-X

Quote from: pine-ryder on November 28, 2016, 03:09:20 pm
Russvegas by 7 baby. Call your bookies.

Yes!! Let's rush right out and throw down the Christmas money on the keen insight from a newbie (not even a Russ fan necessarily) with no substance to back up such a claim.    ::)

Wait, you mean they have bookies for high school games in RussVegas?  ???

Man, what happens there really does stay there!  :D

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 28, 2016, 06:47:29 pm
Funny, I don't recall hearing much of  any of those phrases in the first game.   :-X

Yes!! Let's rush right out and throw down the Christmas money on the keen insight from a newbie (not even a Russ fan necessarily) with no substance to back up such a claim.    ::)

Wait, you meant they have bookies for high school games in RussVegas?  ???

Man what happens there really does stay there!  :D

lol...+1

The Future

Granny4two

Cal preps has Greenwood 28 - Russellville 21 on a neutral field.

maxswine

Quote from: amerra on November 27, 2016, 11:43:51 pm

I don't think either of these teams threw any interceptions when they got together.  At least not what I can remember.

Hornet4ever

The Bulldogs ride out another cyclone and win the state title.

Pr8hd

November 29, 2016, 09:22:58 am #38 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:35:40 am by Pr8hd
I wonder if GW is going to this gun fight with all their "bullets"?

I guess this answers my question:

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20161129/prep-roundup-greenwood-qb-noland-cleared-to-play-saturday

Pr8hd

November 29, 2016, 09:44:30 am #39 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:46:57 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: PiratePride03 on November 26, 2016, 06:39:18 am

Odds are Russellville may very well come out on top on "Friday night", otherwise we will see what happens on Saturday night.  ;)

Wildcat Football

I called last year's title game, except I was mistaken that PB would beat GW handily final score was 28-21 and Skelton made a couple of first downs to run out the clock, otherwise GW might have been able to tie it in the end.  I give the advantage to GW for experience & coaching.  They have played a couple of close games this year and are due for an upset.  So, I'm actually going with Dawson's boys and Fulsom/Stokes combo along with a very strong Cyclone defense.  I'll say it again....Defense wins championships!  Cyclones coached a great scheme v. Benton and expect nothing less v Bulldogs, but Jones will be ready too no doubt.  I will be there watching what I hope is another classic to a great 6A HS State Championship game. Also, congrats to PB for another phenomenal season...I thought they would down this year, so my misread there.

Pr8hd

November 29, 2016, 09:49:02 am #41 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:13:36 am by Pr8hd
Jones is 6-2 in title games at LR w/ losses in 2004 (his first) and 2015. I know Dawson has won 3 @ Nashville. All of GW's titles, but one (2011) have been with a D1 QB at the helm. GW has 2 of them this year.

PercussionMan

I think Russellville can win this game....it's just a question of will they.  Greenwood and Jones are tough to beat at WMS (so is Dawson), but this would be back-to-back losses at WMS, if Russellville can pull this one off.  I don't think that has ever happened before.  Good luck to both teams!!  I'm looking forward to watching this one!!

Pr8hd

I can definitely see a scenario where Russellville could win. They play good defense, have some playmakers on offense, and they have a good coach/staff.

However, I believe it is more likely GW plays even better than the first time. Future pointed out above when we have met a common opponent a second time. It's almost always gone in favor of the Bulldogs. In GW's 2 losses in 8 attempts for state titles under CRJ, the margin of defeat was a combined 9 points which ain't a whole lot. Last year, very few gave GW a chance to win against PB, arguably the best team in the state last year regardless of classification. Many thought GW would get thumped and I was not sure if they could hang myself. That boat race many prognosticators predicted did not happen and GW played a superior PB team that outmatched them in size, speed, and overall talent as well as any team could have, but just came up short in the end. IMO losing last year has fueled the desire even more this year. 

GW knows how to play in these big games especially on a big stage. They have been there multiple times and if anything, the 7A gauntlet of teams they have faced since 2012's jump up has shown, they can play with most anyone, anywhere in the state. No other 6A team in the state can boast a winning record in that time frame against the 7A counterparts. GW is a remarkable 17-3 against the "Big Boys" in the past 4 years, but yet remains the smallest 6A school knocking on the door of the 5A. GW has stopped PB's chance for a 3 peat and ED's chance for a 4 peat, so they dethroned the defending champs on two separate occasions. Those two teams have been the stalwarts of 6A for some time. This is GW's 3rd trip to the finals in 4 years in the 6A. They are not going to be in awe, overwhelmed in the moment or by any one team. They expected to be back at the Rock this year. It has become the norm to be at this stage, not the anomaly. GW has a chance to add to their history/legacy under CRJ and the Cyclones have a chance to put an exclamation point on their own legacy as the best team ever in school history.

Russellville has had a great year. Some, may call it a Cinderella year. I for one did not think it was a matter of if they could get to this stage under Dawson, but more of a question of when. I guess on Saturday it will be their true litmus test. It's one thing to get there, it's a whole other thing to win it, especially since they face arguably one of the best coaches in the state with a team that has already beaten you once. 

I expect GW to do what they do, but only do it better and finish. 

Win or lose, both teams should be very proud. If your season ends in the Rock, you did something right and gave yourself a chance.

The Future

+1 Pr8hd.
Its not fun at all losing on the big stage by any means. But I'd much rather my season end playing for the championship than 1 to 4 weeks earlier.

I myself was thinking about the margin of our 2 losses as well. We are just a completed 2 point conversion and a score and a 2 point conversion away from a possiblility of Jones being 8-0 at the Rock.
And on the flip side, With the exception of Batesville in 2011, all our wins were close margins as well.
2005- 35-32
2006-56-55
2007- 27-6 ( not really a close one but the game was a bit closer than the score shows)
2010- 36-35
2012- 51-44

Thats 4 games with a total margin of 12 points and 5 with 33.

catfish1

GW BY 12 To much firepower cant stop #30 will be a long long nite

zebrafan

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2016, 01:53:43 pm
I can definitely see a scenario where Russellville could win. They play good defense, have some playmakers on offense, and they have a good coach/staff.

However, I believe it is more likely GW plays even better than the first time. Future pointed out above when we have met a common opponent a second time. It's almost always gone in favor of the Bulldogs. In GW's 2 losses in 8 attempts for state titles under CRJ, the margin of defeat was a combined 9 points which ain't a whole lot. Last year, very few gave GW a chance to win against PB, arguably the best team in the state last year regardless of classification. Many thought GW would get thumped and I was not sure if they could hang myself. That boat race many prognosticators predicted did not happen and GW played a superior PB team that outmatched them in size, speed, and overall talent as well as any team could have, but just came up short in the end. IMO losing last year has fueled the desire even more this year. 

GW knows how to play in these big games especially on a big stage. They have been there multiple times and if anything, the 7A gauntlet of teams they have faced since 2012's jump up has shown, they can play with most anyone, anywhere in the state. No other 6A team in the state can boast a winning record in that time frame against the 7A counterparts. GW is a remarkable 17-3 against the "Big Boys" in the past 4 years, but yet remains the smallest 6A school knocking on the door of the 5A. GW has stopped PB's chance for a 3 peat and ED's chance for a 4 peat, so they dethroned the defending champs on two separate occasions. Those two teams have been the stalwarts of 6A for some time. This is GW's 3rd trip to the finals in 4 years in the 6A. They are not going to be in awe, overwhelmed in the moment or by any one team. They expected to be back at the Rock this year. It has become the norm to be at this stage, not the anomaly. GW has a chance to add to their history/legacy under CRJ and the Cyclones have a chance to put an exclamation point on their own legacy as the best team ever in school history.

Russellville has had a great year. Some, may call it a Cinderella year. I for one did not think it was a matter of if they could get to this stage under Dawson, but more of a question of when. I guess on Saturday it will be their true litmus test. It's one thing to get there, it's a whole other thing to win it, especially since they face arguably one of the best coaches in the state with a team that has already beaten you once. 

Win or lose, both teams should be very proud. If your season ends in the Rock, you did something right and gave yourself a chance.

Good points there. +1

AllStarSportsFan

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2016, 01:53:43 pm

Man, Russellville shouldn't bother showing up since GW has done all these things in the past.

Oldbadger

Time for my prognostication.  Greenwood 38 to Russellville 35.  I think Russellville will be more than ready for this game.  Greenwood will be just like Greenwood, always ready, and always up to the challenge. A great game I predict.  Will be watching.

Pr8hd

Quote from: AllStarSportsFan on November 29, 2016, 07:25:15 pm
Man, Russellville shouldn't bother showing up since GW has done all these things in the past.

I'm figuring they will still play the game regardless of what I, you, or anyone else says on here, but kudos for the thought.

So far, those posting on behalf or favoring Russ have: questioned the margin of victory against the two time defending state champs, wanted to compare scores of other games when we have a game to compare where they both played, gotten the day they play wrong, insulted the talent at GW, informed us what the PA announcer will be saying, and lastly told us to contact our high school bookies and bet the farm on Russ. Only an ED fan, has offered any halfway related reason as to why he believes Russellville will win due to their defense (even he sounded a little unsure).   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas