• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wynne vs Pulaski Academy 5A State Championship

Started by AIREDALE25, November 25, 2016, 08:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins this?

Wynne
68 (64.8%)
Pulaski Academy
37 (35.2%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: December 02, 2016, 10:43:25 am

tmycjy

Quote from: Grond on December 04, 2016, 12:07:26 pm
Congrats to a well-coached Pulaski Academy team.

But let me get this straight: Wynne had 4 turnovers in the first HALF?

Yep u can't win with 5 turnover still proud for wynne for state runner up that not to bad will say this there were 30 other school  that would love to still be playing that day

Youngsta71701

I kept trying to tell people that PA was still the team to beat even though Wynne was getting all the hype. That program is a machine and once they figure you out, get the momentum, and get you back oh your heels they are tough to play against. Rather it's on offense or defense. They are the kings of 5A football until someone knocks them off their throne.

Congrats PA on yet another football state championship.

Already ready for next season.

Pantherdaddy

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 04, 2016, 10:11:36 am
I was going to stay quiet on this as well, but since you mentioned it, I will share a story. Last night at the 6A game, I talked to a WMS security person who worked the ramp where Wynne entered the field (I talk to people, because I am a friendly guy). He saw my PA hat and we visited a little about our game while discussing the the 6A game we were watching (awesome game, by the way). He told me "you should have heard them bad mouthing your guys, calling them "paid athletes"." He specifically mentioned the Wynne coach saying it. That's a 100% true story.
I wasn't sure if I should even believe it.

I think I do now. And are you telling me the Wynne radio guys refer to PA as "paid athletes?" If so, well, that's pretty bad, in my most humble opinion.

I remember Coach Campbell days....now that was class!

Chip

Quote from: olemissjacket99 on December 04, 2016, 08:41:21 am
I have tried to keep my posts to a minimal but it's hard.  Yes I was at every home playoff gm.  Some not all fans yelled at the opposing teams coaches as they walked by.  The worst was against LRM.  Dagum embarrassing.  But you would be surprised who leads this on in Wynne during meetings and all.  I cringe when I hear people say "class program" when the coach himself refers to Paid Athletes not to mention the radio man.

I can assure you Chris has never referred to them as "Paid Athletes".  I can also tell you he never said anything about "Paid Athletes" before or after the game Saturday.  I know because I was with him from the time Wynne got there to the time they left.  This is just something you're trying to get started and I think you should just go troll somewhere else.

Again, congratulations to PA and Wynne for having great seasons.  It's an honor just to be in the championship game.

Chip

I was going to stay quiet on this as well, but since you mentioned it, I will share a story. Last night at the 6A game, I talked to a WMS security person who worked the ramp where Wynne entered the field (I talk to people, because I am a friendly guy). He saw my PA hat and we visited a little about our game while discussing the the 6A game we were watching (awesome game, by the way). He told me "you should have heard them bad mouthing your guys, calling them "paid athletes"." He specifically mentioned the Wynne coach saying it. That's a 100% true story.

I think I do now. And are you telling me the Wynne radio guys refer to PA as "paid athletes?" If so, well, that's pretty bad, in my most humble opinion.

This is an absolute lie.  Nothing but a lie.  Chris has the utmost respect for Coach Kelley and the job he does there.  I was personally with him from the time he got to the stadium Saturday until the time he left.  He has never referred to PA as "Paid Athletes" and I can promise you he didn't say it Saturday.  I also didn't hear any of the other coaches bad-mouth PA in any way.  PA is a good football team, everybody knows that and the Wynne staff has always recognized that.

Again, congratulations to PA and Wynne for both having outstanding seasons!

FD4

Some poster from over here said it, I repeated it, but only to try and get a certain individual to respond back to it.  I did ask what the tuition was for a freshman was and got an answer from one of the PA parents I believe.  You cant disrespect a coach for being a success.  What you do is give credit where it is due and go into every game with a positive attitude that you are going to win it or go down swinging.  I revert back to something I like to say about any successful program.  NASCAR, RCR, we love to hate on them because they win, we try to beat them, they just keep on wining.  Tiger, we loved to hate on the guy because in his prime, he was unbeatable. Ali, Tyson, Holmes, same thing, the Bulls, same thing, The Yankees, same thing. I guess it comes with the territory.  Oh yes and of course the Cowboys, but hey, they are on the comeback trail now.

walkingguy72396

For the record as far as I know.  The radio guy said some-thing like best team money can by.  That near qoute was said while he was announcing the first Wynne PA game and the General was still head Coach and Coach Hill was still at Morrilton I believe.

As far as things being said from the stands thats nothing new. I started attending Wynne home games around 1993.

If your team is not being razzed coming by the stands at Wynne.  its because they think your team is not worth the effort.  Should take it as a badge of honor that you coach for or play for a team they respect but might not lke.

Yes I think its cheesy and rude. 

I do not think PA recruits.  I do think that their program has backers with deep pockets that get their kids to camps and other things that public schools may not be able to fund.

#1jacketfan

I'm going to leave this and I'm out......And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.  Ephesians 5:2
One day it won't matter who won or who lost or how many Championships you have!
What will matter more than anything else is where you stand with the one that created you!
I love High School Football as much as anyone and I don't care what team he or she plays on
these kids all work hard and they are all winners in my book!

86jacketstchamps

Not even close to being the truth.  He may have told you that but he was lying if he did.   I was at the ramp and not one thing was said.  End of story.  PA played great and we didn't.   Simple as that.

The_Pioneer

Funny, not the first story this season about Wynne players, fans and radio guys sayin stuff....

The_Pioneer

Quote from: #1jacketfan on December 05, 2016, 02:51:39 pm
I'm going to leave this and I'm out......And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.  Ephesians 5:2
One day it won't matter who won or who lost or how many Championships you have!
What will matter more than anything else is where you stand with the one that created you!
I love High School Football as much as anyone and I don't care what team he or she plays on
these kids all work hard and they are all winners in my book!

After a season full of your posts, I'd say this one is fitting...

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Prov 16:18

#1jacketfan

Quote from: The_Pioneer on December 05, 2016, 06:06:35 pm
After a season full of your posts, I'd say this one is fitting...

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Prov 16:18
Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.
Ephesians 4:18

Iknewthemwhen

Has anyone really broken down why the game turned out so differently than the majority was picking it.  Why did Wynne perform so badly.

STBruin

Wynne had... I think 5 turnovers in the first half...AND lost 2 onside kicks...add in their secondary had a hard time containing the PA WRs...made for a long day for Wynne. As hard as it seems...easily could have been worse for Wynne.

Deuceswild

Turnovers, I actually ran into a couple girls from Wynne and told them to tell their RBs if they can hold onto the ball today, they have a really good chance. That was exploited in the first half. After that, PAs first score in the second half just deflated all hopes. Easy to do that in high school ball. But the way PA played in these conditions is just freakish. Gameballs for everyone that touched the ball and didn't drop it. It was brutal. But the heated tents and extra jerseys help too, just sayin.😂

The_Pioneer

walkingguy72396

olemissjacket99

Quote from: Chip on December 05, 2016, 12:53:21 pm
I can assure you Chris has never referred to them as "Paid Athletes".  I can also tell you he never said anything about "Paid Athletes" before or after the game Saturday.  I know because I was with him from the time Wynne got there to the time they left.  This is just something you're trying to get started and I think you should just go troll somewhere else.

Again, congratulations to PA and Wynne for having great seasons.  It's an honor just to be in the championship game.

Just repeating what I and many others have heard. 

Made

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 05, 2016, 08:57:29 pm
The game is up on youtube if any-one cares.

I looked all day and couldn't find it...found Layne Hatcher Highlights about 6 min worth. Can you link it

walkingguy72396

copy and paste in your browser, best I can do.  PA VS Wynne

Made

oldjacketman

There was a security guard outside of the Wynne locker room that made the "paid athletes" comment. No Wynne coach said anything like that. Funny how Batesville people are always the only ones who hear this stuff. They can't stand the fact that their short stint of dominance of Wynne abruptly ended the way it did, nor can they accept the fact that they know Wynne will continue to dominate them for years to come.

The_Pioneer

You better hope its over.  With your greatest team in history, you still didn't win a title and even lost worse than we did.  While we played on THEIR field.  With a decimated roster.  Yeah, you better hope our domination of you is over.

PercussionMan

I honestly expected to see Wynne be able to stay in the game by recovering onside kicks and scoring on short field.  But, like we all found out, although P.A. always gets a ton of credit for their offense, their defense prepares very well for championship games....they especially did for this one. 

I said ahead of time, if Wynne got down by more than 2 scores, they probably wouldn't be able to crawl out of the hole.  So, when they got behind by 3-4 scores, we definitely knew it was over.  Not having a passing game really hurt Wynne.  Sad to see them get trounced the way they did, but they obviously were not the best team in the state in 5A. 

I really don't know what teams in the state would beat P.A. when they are as well prepared as they were Saturday, other than maybe Fayetteville, Bentonville....maybe a couple of others would have a chance.

oldjacketman

How many titles do you have? Conference? State? You will ALWAYS be the little brother of the conference. Know your place.

Red Devil Alum

The Wynne/Batesville rivalry is very entertaining for the rest of us.

The_Pioneer

Yellowcake

Quote from: Chip on December 05, 2016, 12:57:56 pm
This is an absolute lie.  Nothing but a lie.  Chris has the utmost respect for Coach Kelley and the job he does there.  I was personally with him from the time he got to the stadium Saturday until the time he left.  He has never referred to PA as "Paid Athletes" and I can promise you he didn't say it Saturday.  I also didn't hear any of the other coaches bad-mouth PA in any way.  PA is a good football team, everybody knows that and the Wynne staff has always recognized that.

Again, congratulations to PA and Wynne for both having outstanding seasons!

I will take your word for it. I am simply telling you what was said to me. It's all good my friend.

Iknewthemwhen

It's a case of elite money programs with all the extra's.  Heated tents, who would have thought.

The_Pioneer

I'm enjoying how everyone here is good friends with their coach.  It's nice.

Yellowcake

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 07, 2016, 11:25:15 am
It's a case of elite money programs with all the extra's.  Heated tents, who would have thought.

Greenwood used the tents in the night game.
Russellville had 4 high dollar sideline heaters.
Those darn facts again.....

Made

Quote from: The_Pioneer on December 07, 2016, 04:44:07 pm
I'm enjoying how everyone here is good friends with their coach.  It's nice.
Wish I would have been smart enough to bring some plastic wrap for my canopy.......

AT

walkingguy72396

I really could not see the visitor side lines.  Home side looked like the prince of arabia was in town.  The visitor side looked like a flea market.

Seems like an advantage if one side was warmer and drier than the other.

AAA needs to review the rules.  Just my opinion. 

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 07, 2016, 10:18:38 pm
The visitor side looked like a flea market.

So they had covers and/or canopies too?

Don't see the problem.

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on December 07, 2016, 11:17:05 pm
So they had covers and/or canopies too?

Don't see the problem.

What?  Are you insensitive?  The team with the best protection against the elements was destined to win!  (for those who don't understand sarcasm, that was tongue in cheek).

Red Devil Alum

PA set a championship game record for most yards, most passing TDs, and most receiving TDs by one receiver. But yeah, what's important is that they had heated tents.

walkingguy72396

I also do not think enclosures or dry uniforms won or lost the football game.

Just like when team does not get to see the play clock. The play clock gets turned off that is working.  Just like when one side lines communications quits working the working side gets turned off.

That is the kind of nit picking that goes on.

In three plays those uniforms were just as wet for the players who played. 

I am not blaming PA for being better prepared.

They got the turn overs and stopped I think two or 3 fourth down tries.

Again I have never seen any team do any thing more than put on rain coats.  So enclosure are a whole new thing to me.  So with it being new.  It intrigues me.

Youngsta71701

December 08, 2016, 01:12:54 pm #438 Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:21:12 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on December 05, 2016, 07:59:14 pm
Has anyone really broken down why the game turned out so differently than the majority was picking it.  Why did Wynne perform so badly.
Pulaski Academy had something to do with that. Sometimes they just simply overwhelm teams. Even there name alone can play mind games with some teams. Coaches and players the same. Might not seem like it matters but it does. Right now their name alone can put self doubt in some of these teams.

So in other words they are already beat before the game even starts. Some players try to do too much and some players really don't have the confidence that they can beat them that is required to actually beat them.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Deuceswild on December 05, 2016, 08:37:29 pm
Turnovers, I actually ran into a couple girls from Wynne and told them to tell their RBs if they can hold onto the ball today, they have a really good chance. That was exploited in the first half. After that, PAs first score in the second half just deflated all hopes. Easy to do that in high school ball. But the way PA played in these conditions is just freakish. Gameballs for everyone that touched the ball and didn't drop it. It was brutal. But the heated tents and extra jerseys help too, just sayin.😂
Have to give them credit. They are always prepared for any situation that may occur. And I hate to say this more than anyone. But you have to give credit where its due. Coach Kelley always have them boys ready to play. Almost like mind control or something.

Overdahill

Best thing that happened for PA was playing East Salt Lake earlier in the year. Get to look back and see what worked and what didn't there and come into the championship game knowing that while the opponent is darn good they are not "East Salt Lake" good and you gain a mental edge thinking you can handle what's coming. Just an observers opinion

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Overdahill on December 08, 2016, 01:52:52 pm
Best thing that happened for PA was playing East Salt Lake earlier in the year. Get to look back and see what worked and what didn't there and come into the championship game knowing that while the opponent is darn good they are not "East Salt Lake" good and you gain a mental edge thinking you can handle what's coming. Just an observers opinion

Just saw the non conference schedule next year for PA. Ugh.  After that, they should be once again prepared for regular season.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 08, 2016, 02:09:37 pm
Just saw the non conference schedule next year for PA. Ugh.  After that, they should be once again prepared for regular season.

Surely you aren't....playing ozark jv???

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 08, 2016, 02:33:20 pm
Surely you aren't....playing ozark jv???

Luckily we dodged that bullet and got Shreveport Evangel instead.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 08, 2016, 02:39:18 pm

Whew. That's a relief I bet.

Bruin Backer

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on December 08, 2016, 01:16:37 pm
Have to give them credit. They are always prepared for any situation that may occur. And I hate to say this more than anyone. But you have to give credit where its due. Coach Kelley always have them boys ready to play. Almost like mind control or something.

Your comment is spot on. I think that your reference to "or something" is a reference to planning and execution. PA runs multiple offensive formations because it forces the defense to use different coverage schemes. It only took a couple of plays for PA to figure out what Wynne's (or any other team's) DB's would do versus a given formation. Every defensive scheme is strong against certain plays, but is weak against others. PA exploits this. For instance, when Wynne moved all of their DB's up close to the receivers, PA would check off and send one receiver on a deep route. With no safety left back, the result was often an easy TD. In the previous game, the PA QB had trouble handling the pass rush up the middle. Wynne tried the same thing. The difference was that on a lot of the pass plays, the PA QB took the snap and rolled out to one side or the other. The OL shifted the focus of their blocking to the side of the roll. All the QB had to worry about was throwing the ball before the backside, and usually unblocked, DE could catch him. If Wynne got too focused on defending the pass, Watkins was able to gain big yardage running the ball.

Defense works the same way. Wynne's option play has three options. The QB hands the ball to Hicks straight up the middle, the QB keeps the ball in the gap between the DT and DE, or the QB pitches the ball. PA's plan was to do their best to stop Hicks every play and force the QB to pitch the ball if Hicks didn't get it. Without a real passing threat, the PA DE could stay at home and the DB's could attack the pitch man...which led to fumbles and lost yardage. Wynne could see what PA was doing, which is why they tried the long pass several times when PA was lined up to stop the option play.

Both teams had good game plans. Wynne's plan was to overpower PA's defensive front, and PA's plan was to create one on one match ups against the Wynne secondary. The difference was that PA executed their plan better than Wynne did. Everything else that happened outside of the field of play was irrelevant.

Overdahill

Grond

Quote from: Bruin Backer on December 08, 2016, 03:50:35 pm
Your comment is spot on. I think that your reference to "or something" is a reference to planning and execution. PA runs multiple offensive formations because it forces the defense to use different coverage schemes. It only took a couple of plays for PA to figure out what Wynne's (or any other team's) DB's would do versus a given formation. Every defensive scheme is strong against certain plays, but is weak against others. PA exploits this. For instance, when Wynne moved all of their DB's up close to the receivers, PA would check off and send one receiver on a deep route. With no safety left back, the result was often an easy TD. In the previous game, the PA QB had trouble handling the pass rush up the middle. Wynne tried the same thing. The difference was that on a lot of the pass plays, the PA QB took the snap and rolled out to one side or the other. The OL shifted the focus of their blocking to the side of the roll. All the QB had to worry about was throwing the ball before the backside, and usually unblocked, DE could catch him. If Wynne got too focused on defending the pass, Watkins was able to gain big yardage running the ball.

Defense works the same way. Wynne's option play has three options. The QB hands the ball to Hicks straight up the middle, the QB keeps the ball in the gap between the DT and DE, or the QB pitches the ball. PA's plan was to do their best to stop Hicks every play and force the QB to pitch the ball if Hicks didn't get it. Without a real passing threat, the PA DE could stay at home and the DB's could attack the pitch man...which led to fumbles and lost yardage. Wynne could see what PA was doing, which is why they tried the long pass several times when PA was lined up to stop the option play.

Both teams had good game plans. Wynne's plan was to overpower PA's defensive front, and PA's plan was to create one on one match ups against the Wynne secondary. The difference was that PA executed their plan better than Wynne did. Everything else that happened outside of the field of play was irrelevant.

Good analysis.  ;)  Speed of PA's defense was stunning; but they read Wynne so well, it made a fast PA LOOK even faster.   :o

Having complimented PA's defense, to Wynne's credit they could move the ball........but the turnovers were devastating.

Iknewthemwhen

Tough to win against any good team with so many turnovers.

Overdahill

December 19, 2016, 08:33:47 pm #449 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:45:18 pm by Overdahill
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 08, 2016, 02:39:18 pm

I saw Evangel at Southlake Carroll a while back when I lived in the Dallas metroplex. Southlake stomped them.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas