• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball 2016-2017

Started by WPWells, November 12, 2016, 09:49:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

No a good early indication of our play against power 5 competition.

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on November 22, 2016, 07:56:26 pm
I'm ready for Watkins to go. Been multiple years now of that garbage play.
He hustles defensively but not near the return on the offensive end when he turns it over or forces some wild shot that nearly breaks the backboard.

I'm fine with running dribble drive offense but your best shooter needs plays ran for him and Hannah's is getting lost in this kind of play.

Minnesota had twice the turnovers we had but more points because we give up 8 dunks in one half.

I'm sure this team will be fun to watch at times, still think it's going to take some time for them to gel.

bdubyab60

Plus the constant parade to the free throw line by our opponents doesn't help. Seems like every game they are in the double bonus before we even get a chance to shoot freethrows. When the other team makes more freethrows than you attempt you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage

AirWarren

Lots of growing pains and new faces.

We will see if the invalid fans start calling for MA head.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Don't keep up with basketball like I used to but here is my prediction for the upcoming season...

22-9 record
10-3 Noncon with losses to Minnesota (Obviously), Texas (@Houston) and Okie State @Stillwater
12-6 Conference with losses to Georgia @Home, Kentucky @Lexington, Texas A&M (Twice), Florida Twice (Why are we playing across conference twice?)...We may lose to Vandy at Vandy also...and of course we may win one we are not supposed to win...

If what I say happens do we make the dance?

WPWells

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 26, 2016, 12:39:19 pm
Don't keep up with basketball like I used to but here is my prediction for the upcoming season...

22-9 record
10-3 Noncon with losses to Minnesota (Obviously), Texas (@Houston) and Okie State @Stillwater
12-6 Conference with losses to Georgia @Home, Kentucky @Lexington, Texas A&M (Twice), Florida Twice (Why are we playing across conference twice?)...We may lose to Vandy at Vandy also...and of course we may win one we are not supposed to win...

If what I say happens do we make the dance?

The SEC doesn't use divisions in basketball.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on November 26, 2016, 01:38:53 pm
The SEC doesn't use divisions in basketball.
So no East and West? Hmmmm, didn't know that...

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 26, 2016, 02:34:18 pm
So no East and West? Hmmmm, didn't know that...

I believe they got rid of divisions in basketball when Texas A&M and Missouri joined the conference.

bdubyab60

Not looking to horrible tonight. But shoot play a little defense

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 28, 2016, 07:48:02 pm
Not looking to horrible tonight. But shoot play a little defense

I guess I know where the zero effort on defense in football came from, the basketball team's effort the last few years. I've never seen a team play :27 on the shot clock, and then give up an uncontested layup or 3, crazy.

AirWarren

To L with razorback Athletics right now.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 08:41:16 pm
I guess I know where the zero effort on defense in football came from, the basketball team's effort the last few years. I've never seen a team play :27 on the shot clock, and then give up an uncontested layup or 3, crazy.
We give up way too many of those kinds of opportunities. Did. Enter in the second half on it but it's been an issue. Poor rotation and communication.

Looks like this team should get better though, hopefully. Got some guys who can shoot. Kingsley has to get going though.

BannerMountainMan

To y'all bashing Manny, he's the hardest worker on the team, if everybody worked as hard as him on the floor with the other players talents we could get somewhere

bdubyab60

No ones doubting his work ethic and hustle

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 28, 2016, 10:41:50 pm

Nope, just isn't a very good shooter. I think I could beat him in a game of HORSE, but I could always shoot, haha.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on November 29, 2016, 10:01:11 am
Nope, just isn't a very good shooter. I think I could beat him in a game of HORSE, but I could always shoot, haha.
Exactly. He takes some horrible shots, doesn't exactly have the best handle either and tends to force a lot of things offensively, which turns in to turnovers. Now I think Watkins hustles his butt off, works hard on defense and gets some boards but he almost completely counteracts that by what he does on the offensive end sometimes. Now every player has bad games but this has been pretty consistent with Watkins over the years.

Watkins does need to play though imo. Just needs to make better decisions when he has the ball. Players play a lot better when they don't force things.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 28, 2016, 10:41:50 pm

Nope. He just isn't a good basketball player.

Romeo

As one basketball coach once told me, the worst thing you can call a division I basketball player is just a hard worker. That means they have zero talent and they go strictly on effort. Players like that are good for practice, but not good for keeping your job.

BannerMountainMan

So don't overlook those early season wins since Fort Wayne beat top 5 Indiana and UT Arlington beat Texas at Texas

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 01, 2016, 08:15:44 am
So don't overlook those early season wins since Fort Wayne beat top 5 Indiana and UT Arlington beat Texas at Texas

Those wins are why I couldn't believe when I looked today we are ranked #19 in the RPI.... Minnesota as our only loss is #8. A lot of people don't realize that the human polls of the Coaches and AP carry little to no weight when the committee meets in March. It's all your RPI and record vs. the RPI top 100 and top 50. It's pretty hard to miss the tourney from history if you stay below 30 in the RPI.

BannerMountainMan

We have more talent than that 2014 team I just don't know how long it will take to mesh together

bdubyab60

So I'm listening on the radio. We are ten. I park to go in to a ballgame, get a coke, find a seat, turn on my watch app and bam we are down. Would be nice to get this one.

WPWells

Got a nice win over a Houston team that will probably be in the tournament.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 06, 2016, 06:58:50 pm
So I'm listening on the radio. We are ten. I park to go in to a ballgame, get a coke, find a seat, turn on my watch app and bam we are down. Would be nice to get this one.

Patience, grasshopper, patience.......we are like DJ Industrials, up one minute, down the next.

BannerMountainMan

Could easily be 10-3,11-2 after all our non-conf games and that looks real good for RPI, gotta atleast go 11-7 in Conf or better. Gonna be fun

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2016, 08:20:59 pm
Patience, grasshopper, patience.......we are like DJ Industrials, up one minute, down the next.
Yeah lol. I was just a little surprised that all it took was a walk from the truck to the gym. I did turn it back on in between yelling at refs and saw we were up.

Saw one of the worst charging call I've ever seen tonight. Then another ref watch a kid step out right beside him and just flat ignore and laugh in a fans face about it. Some of these 2A guys are some darn good refs

beach bum

Gritty win tonight. Got to get the next one to set up a big game against the Longhorns.

bdubyab60

I'll ask the question. How much better would we be, if at all, if we had Monk. I think we have the same record as of now. Down the road could have given us an extra win maybe two, maybe not. One or two wins could be a tourney team and maybe not.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 07, 2016, 07:31:48 am
I'll ask the question. How much better would we be, if at all, if we had Monk. I think we have the same record as of now. Down the road could have given us an extra win maybe two, maybe not. One or two wins could be a tourney team and maybe not.

Hard to tell at this point, he'd be the best player, I don't know if he'd be best for the team as a player. I don't think we're ready for one and done's as KY, Duke, or Kansas are.

BannerMountainMan

I'll tell you one thing Monk might be more explosive but Daryl Macon is the real deal!

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 07:59:41 am
Hard to tell at this point, he'd be the best player, I don't know if he'd be best for the team as a player. I don't think we're ready for one and done's as KY, Duke, or Kansas are.
Kind of what Im saying. He probably would have put more people in the seats but overall the team may have performed the same. May have helped recruiting a little. Just don't think it would make a huge difference in where this team will finish the season.

beach bum

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 07, 2016, 08:27:31 am
I'll tell you one thing Monk might be more explosive but Daryl Macon is the real deal!

I think next year he can polish his game enough to be first team ALL-SEC... Maybe not quite ready this year for that, but he has that type of ability for sure.

smallybells

I watched the Houston game in its entirety. I don't understand MA constantly restricting Hannah's minutes especially favor of someone like Manny Watkins but yet the kid still manages to be one of the top scorers and he hustles on D, it makes no sense to me , but what do I know.

WPWells

Look at the splits with Hannahs on the court vs off the court. There's your answer

beach bum

What Fred said.. Also him and Beard play well together for some reason too. The second unit was not doing a thing on offense til this second unit was put into place. It is working...

smallybells

Quote from: Fred Bird on December 07, 2016, 12:36:08 pm
Look at the splits with Hannahs on the court vs off the court. There's your answer

Guess I'm not grasping what "splits" you are referring to. I know that Watkins played 27 minutes to the tune of 6, shooting 27% from the floor. Hannahs played 17 minutes with 17 points, shooting 54% from the floor. Watkins didn't have any other mind boggling stats anywhere else either.

BannerMountainMan

Watkins has had solid games in every one of the games so far plus he is the best assist man on the team and best defender, Hannahs got sat on the bench after two horrible games but then the past few games he got it back on track, MA called him out

bdubyab60

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 07, 2016, 05:04:40 pm
Watkins has had solid games in every one of the games so far plus he is the best assist man on the team and best defender, Hannahs got sat on the bench after two horrible games but then the past few games he got it back on track, MA called him out
Watkins has not been solid in every game.

ricepig

Manny has a 10:1 assist to turnover ratio, you can't complain about that. He isn't out there for scoring, but defense and toughness.

BannerMountainMan

Moved up to Number 16 in RPI, just keep winning! Hard to keep anybody under 40 outta the Tourney

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 05:30:29 pm
Manny has a 10:1 assist to turnover ratio, you can't complain about that. He isn't out there for scoring, but defense and toughness.

There's other aspects to judge a basketball player other than points scored?

WPWells

mack

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 07, 2016, 06:18:16 pm
There's other aspects to judge a basketball player other than points scored?

Boom, drop the mic!

There is always room on any team for a guy that plays good defense and doesn't turn the ball over, who has leadership skills.  He's not unlike Corey Beck.  Not as accomplished, but similar.  As for Hannahs, I love him, but until last night, he was not performing like last year.  He produces consistently, he'll get more minutes.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 05:30:29 pm
Id question those stats, is that for his career or for the season. I'd also call some of the shots he takes are equal to turnovers. He has his good points

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 07, 2016, 07:53:29 pm
Id question those stats, is that for his career or for the season. I'd also call some of the shots he takes are equal to turnovers. He has his good points

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2016-17/teamcume.htm

Coach Venny Slocombe

I know there are some sore feelings because Monk went to Kentucky...but if anybody thinks we would not be better with him is just plain crazy. That kid can play. Watched him twice this season and he can flat out play with anyone in the country. He would give this team some much needed spark...

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 08:38:10 pm

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2016-17/teamcume.htm
Im still calling bull. I watched him turn it over 4 times against MN. Just watched the Houston game he had one assist that I saw, his man scored he was guarding scored 8 and he had two shot that I remember that hit the backboard and rim so hard it's a wonder they weren't broken. Someone is cooking the books. I guess they have him an assist for the runner that almost hit the shot clock and another guy put in. He did do better in the second half.

Like I said I see the hustle and those intangibles. But he's got more turnover than 2

BannerMountainMan

Now UT Arlington upsets No. 12 Mt. St. Mary's! These early wins just keep looking better!

WPWells

Our RPI will be soaring if these teams keep winning

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas