• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Women's Basketball

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, November 04, 2016, 08:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

So, I hear and saw a video that half of the women's basketball team knelt during the National Anthem...dear lord just a few points here...

1. Grow up, 99% of the people could care less...
2. I bet most if not all that knelt have no idea why they knelt, just trying to do what they saw on TV...
3. You are on scholarship representing the U of A...act like it...
4. LOL...you are not getting your message to anyone...cause it's football season for one and two you are not any good anyway so not many people watch...now, win something and maybe more people will see you kneel...
5. This would be a great teaching lesson for Jimmy Dykes...I doubt he uses it...as a matter of fact he defended it as did Jeff Long...time for both to be gone...see video below...

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/11/3/13516792/arkansas-womens-basketball-kneel-national-anthem-internet-erupts-kaepernick

Way to represent Long and Dykes...

Lions84

I more upset at Jeff Long and the Coach for allowing it and letting them get buy with it.  If I was Long I would have had the Coach send the team back to the locker room announced we are forfeiting the game and then I would have gave them the Jerry Jones speech about such nonsense.

cuckoobird

These ladies will receive over $100000 in scholarships for being able to play a game yet they want people to think they are being suppressed somehow. Time for long and dykes to go

WPWells

I don't agree with it but good gosh. You're acting like they murdered someone. The first amendment does still exist, you know.

Coach Venny Slocombe

People can say what they want about Jerry Jones, but he handled that the right way...he handles the checks and payroll...Jeff Long should take a page out of his book...he can handle the schollies...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 04, 2016, 09:53:14 am
I don't agree with it but good gosh. You're acting like they murdered someone. The first amendment does still exist, you know.
Yeah it does...and so does the right to revoke a scholarship for acting like a two year old...this is a direct reflection on the UofA...

Coach Venny Slocombe

I encourage everyone to email Jeff Long that agrees that the way this was handled was wrong. I know for a fact his inbox has been blown up this morning...I emailed him as well...

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 04, 2016, 09:59:55 am
I encourage everyone to email Jeff Long that agrees that the way this was handled was wrong. I know for a fact his inbox has been blown up this morning...I emailed him as well...

He got an email from our home too

As far as the lady Razorbacks, hope they lose every game. Use that time and energy in your community and on your team. Not doing some attention stunt.

Jacketman65

If these idiots want to protest, then they should do their kneeling in the locker room during the national anthem.  Do not allow them on the floor until the game is ready to begin!  Dykes and Long need to be in there with them.  This is totally embarrassing!

Romeo

I can support the message and standing up for what you believe, but as a military veteran, I can't really support the method its being done.

wesley243

SAD DAY TO KNOW THAT THE RAZORBACKS, HAVE BEEN REPRESENTED IN THIS WAY. THESE KIDS ARE REPRESENTING OUR STATE AND THERE ON SCHOLARSHIP. IF THEY WANT TO DO THIS OFF THE COURT, DO SO. AS FOR COACH DYKES, IM ASHAMED OF YOU, I THOUGHT MORE OF YOU, THAN TO ALLOW THIS. YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALLOWING THIS TO HAPPEN. IM SURE THESE PLAYERS ARE OPPRESSED REPRESENTING, THE U OF A FOR FREE! I'M AN AMERICAN FIRST & THIS LIFELONG RAZORBACK FAN CAN FIND  ANOTHER TEAM! LOOK AND SEE HOW THIS IS WORKING OUT FOR THE NFL! THIS RAZORBACK FAN IS NAUSEATED!!! HERES THE PHONE # FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE AS SICK AS ME! 479-575-2000 ASK FOR ATHLETIC DEPT. THANKS FOR THE AVENUE HERE TO VENT!!!   

bleudog

November 04, 2016, 11:05:51 am #11 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:20:03 pm by bleudog
I have lost respect for the coach and the AD due to their responses to this incident. 

Yes these six have the right to free speech and peaceful protest, just not while they are representing the school.  Is there not some code of student-athlete conduct at the U of A?

Participation in an extracurricular activity at a publicly funded school is a privilege, not a right. 

The basic concept of a team is one of working together so that the total is more than the sum of the parts.  If these athletes had some perceived problem with the American Heart Association and refused to wear red jerseys, would the coach and AD let these six wear white jerseys at games where the rest of the team wore red?  I don't think so. 

Maynard G Krebs

I called Jeff Long's office to voice my displeasure.  His secretary was very nice, but a little defensive when I told her my biggest beef is that Mr. Long endorsed the action.  She corrected me and said that he did not endorse the action, but supported his student athletes.  Sounds like a well rehearsed script and word smithing.  She then told me she had my phone number and did I want to leave my name, which I did.

I support the players right to have and voice opinions, but they should exercise their right without being in the Razorback uniform. 

Until Long corrects this, my foundation donation (though quite insignificant in the grand scheme) will be withheld.

hogfan2003

IM A PROUD AMERICAN! NOT SO MUCH OF A RAZORBACK FAN UNLESS THIS IS CORRECTED IMMEDIATELY! DYKES SHOULD HAVE TOLD THEM TO GET UP OR GET OFF THIS STATES COURT! THEY HAVE THE HONOR OF REPRESENTING THIS STATES FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITY FOR FREE,  AN HONOR MOST KIDS WOULD LOVE!!!  SUCH OPPRESSION! CORRECT THIS IMMEDIATELY OR I NO LONGER A SUPPORT THE HOGS PERIOD! U OFA PH#479-575-2000 FOR THE PROUD AMERICANS. ISNT BASEBALL GREAT!!!

hogfan2003

WE'VE BEEN BEAT ON THE FIELD & ON THE COURT AND I'VE BEEN SAD, BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN ASHAMED TO BE A HOG! WHAT WAS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN AT OUR UNIVERSITIES WOMENS BASKETBALL GAME IS SHAMEFUL! DYKES SHOULD HAVE TOLD THOSE GIRLS TO STAND DURING OUR NATIONS ANTHEM OR LEAVE THE FLOOR PERMANANTLY! IF THEY HAVE AN ISSUE DO IT ON THERE ON TIME NOT WHEN THEY ARE REPRESENTING THE HOGNATION! I WOULD CERTAINLY MISS THE RAZORBACKS, BUT I DONT HAVE TO BE A HOGFAN!! CALL ATHLETIC DEPT AND OUR POLITICAL LEADERS THIS IS THE TAXPAYERS UNIVERSITY!!!!

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 04, 2016, 11:12:06 am
I called Jeff Long's office to voice my displeasure.  His secretary was very nice, but a little defensive when I told her my biggest beef is that Mr. Long endorsed the action.  She corrected me and said that he did not endorse the action, but supported his student athletes.  Sounds like a well rehearsed script and word smithing.  She then told me she had my phone number and did I want to leave my name, which I did.

I support the players right to have and voice opinions, but they should exercise their right without being in the Razorback uniform. 

Until Long corrects this, my foundation donation (though quite insignificant in the grand scheme) will be withheld.

Do you have good seats?

ricepig

While I don't agree with their actions, I do agree they have their right to do as they did. The UofA isn't going to make any student, or athlete stand for the National Anthem, it's a public institution. I think Joe Klein said it correctly.

https://twitter.com/BobHoltADG/status/794563118906998784

YC

I wonder how Frank would handle this. I think I know but he is too old to take back the reins.

KENNY HATFIELD FOR AD!!!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 01:04:19 pm
Do you have good seats?

I mentioned the insignicance of my contribution in the big scheme.  That doesn't come with great seats😜😜😜😜

ricepig

Quote from: IofthaTiger on November 04, 2016, 01:10:36 pm
I wonder how Frank would handle this. I think I know but he is too old to take back the reins.

KENNY HATFIELD FOR AD!!!

One thing about it, Hatfield wouldn't/couldn't pass up an opportunity like this. Of course, he couldn't pass period! Seriously, it's a different time we live in, for better, or for worse, the courts don't like anyone's feelings to be hurt, especially involving a public institution.

ricepig

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 04, 2016, 01:17:45 pm
I mentioned the insignicance of my contribution in the big scheme.  That doesn't come with great seats😜😜😜😜

Shoot, I hoped I could move up on the suite wait list. 😕

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 01:08:41 pm
While I don't agree with their actions, I do agree they have their right to do as they did. The UofA isn't going to make any student, or athlete stand for the National Anthem, it's a public institution. I think Joe Klein said it correctly.

Well, there goes my plans for Corky's BBQ this weekend.  Surprised by Big Joe's position.

BLUEBLOOD

We can't have a coach telling someone what to "BELIEF" in.  That's for sure!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OB11

Would Dykes have been within his rights to send the players back to the locker and not let them play?  If the players have the right not to stand for the anthem wouldn't he be afforded the right to make that decision?

beach bum

This is another example of people with socially conservative mindsets getting all riled up over other peoples' actions that have no effect on my life or your life whatsoever.... It's like the gay marriage thing. It does not interfere with my daily life at all. Just like if these people kneel it has no effect on my life. I think its really ignorant too, but I don't get caught up obsessing about other humans behavior on a daily basis. Relax, and don't worry about other peoples' actions that don't effect you and you will be a lot happier on a daily basis. If anything you should be happy since people with your mindsets are paranoid of the government to begin with. Isn't this proving your rights are protected under the constitution? It's women's basketball for goodness sake, I wasn't going to ever watch it to begin with and still won't. You obviously cared like you said you didn't by ranting and making this thread.

RyanLR

There are so much better things people could be worrying about other than some 20 year old girls making a political statement.

beach bum

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 01:51:09 pm
There are so much better things people could be worrying about other than some 20 year old girls making a political statement.

+1

Big Fan

Quote from: beach bum on November 04, 2016, 01:39:07 pm
This is another example of people with socially conservative mindsets getting all riled up over other peoples' actions that have no effect on my life or your life whatsoever.... It's like the gay marriage thing. It does not interfere with my daily life at all. Just like if these people kneel it has no effect on my life. I think its really ignorant too, but I don't get caught up obsessing about other humans behavior on a daily basis. Relax, and don't worry about other peoples' actions that don't effect you and you will be a lot happier on a daily basis. If anything you should be happy since people with your mindsets are paranoid of the government to begin with. Isn't this proving your rights are protected under the constitution? It's women's basketball for goodness sake, I wasn't going to ever watch it to begin with and still won't. You obviously cared like you said you didn't by ranting and making this thread.
This statement is laced with stupidity...but, consider the source.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on November 04, 2016, 01:37:35 pm
We can't have a coach telling someone what to "BELIEF" in.  That's for sure!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Joe was a great player, but not very bright and this just confirms it...

Coach Venny Slocombe

It's also a public institution that they are on scholarship in said institution. Jimmy Dykes and Jeff Long are both jokes...and should be given pinks slips today...

bleudog

Klein's been up where the air is too thin for too long.

What if players start "beliefing" that coming to practice is a form of coach brutality that violates their civil rights?

RyanLR

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 04, 2016, 02:18:35 pm
It's also a public institution that they are on scholarship in said institution. Jimmy Dykes and Jeff Long are both jokes...and should be given pinks slips today...
Hey guy you're silly. There are no requirements in a scholarship or anywhere in any University that requires standing for the National Anthem. Nor are there any requirements for any of the many athletes representing the many countries in the Arkansas Athletic Program.

Why should a coach be fired for this? No coach or athletic director has any say on what nations the students stand for, what religion they adhere or do not adhere to, or their sexual orientation.

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 01:51:09 pm
Like?

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 04, 2016, 11:12:06 am

Kudos to you Maynard. I sent an email myself. It wasn't ugly. It didn't threaten but like these kids on scholarship that liberal America loves to "defend their right to speak up"...those same liberals better be open to my dialogue of speaking up as well. Which it's evident that they not. I am a closed minded, conservative Christian that is scared of freedom of speech.

RyanLR

Quote from: AirWarren on November 04, 2016, 02:34:08 pm
Like?
Like how corrupt most politicians are in this country, worrying about getting shot by police, worrying about the rent, worrying about the posters on this board driving vehicles.

RyanLR

Quote from: AirWarren on November 04, 2016, 02:37:44 pm
Kudos to you Maynard. I sent an email myself. It wasn't ugly. It didn't threaten but like these kids on scholarship that liberal America loves to "defend their right to speak up"...those same liberals better be open to my dialogue of speaking up as well. Which it's evident that they not. I am a closed minded, conservative Christian that is scared of freedom of speech.
Mhmm.

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 02:38:09 pm
Like how corrupt most politicians are in this country, worrying about getting shot by police, worrying about the rent, worrying about the posters on this board driving vehicles.

1. I don't worry about the politicians. I go to work every day because regardless of who is in office, I will go to work and work hard. Some liberal or conservative isn't going to affect me.
2. I don't worry about getting shot at by the police. A. If an officer pulls me over, I comply. B. I don't brand a gun at him. C.  And I don't run. D. Stay out of trouble.
3. I don't rent. I got a big boy mortgage. No need to worry about paying it when I work.

I am disappointed in your response. I figured you would say something like volunteering in the community, the youth group, coaching an upward basketball team with kids on your team of all races, etc. All your "worries" in your eyes are garbage. All I see is placing blame on someone else. Those things listed above, that's what I do to try to make a difference in the community. Not so bad for a racist, hate mongering, socially conservative Christian.

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 02:22:18 pm
Klein's been up where the air is too thin for too long.

What if players start "beliefing" that coming to practice is a form of coach brutality that violates their civil rights?

I'm sure in your 16,000 posts I could find a spelling/grammar issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've corrected you over one, haha. Now, I would imagine that attending practice is a requirement for retaining one's scholarship, I don't think standing for the anthem is. As I've said, I don't agree with their actions, but it's the country we live in these days.

RyanLR

Quote from: AirWarren on November 04, 2016, 02:43:58 pm
1. I don't worry about the politicians. I go to work every day because regardless of who is in office, I will go to work and work hard. Some liberal or conservative isn't going to affect me.
2. I don't worry about getting shot at by the police. A. If an officer pulls me over, I comply. B. I don't brand a gun at him. C.  And I don't run. D. Stay out of trouble.
3. I don't rent. I got a big boy mortgage. No need to worry about paying it when I work.

I am disappointed in your response. I figured you would say something like volunteering in the community, the youth group, coaching an upward basketball team with kids on your team of all races, etc. All your "worries" in your eyes are garbage. All I see is placing blame on someone else. Those things listed above, that's what I do to try to make a difference in the community. Not so bad for a racist, hate mongering, socially conservative Christian.
Yeah I make like $8.90 an hour so I can't afford this so called "big boy mortgage". "Volunteering" in the community is something that I literally don't have time to do, and those people probably wouldn't want an atheist Libertarian weed smoking metal head in their churches for these "youth groups".

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 03:14:04 pm
Yeah I make like $8.90 an hour so I can't afford this so called "big boy mortgage". "Volunteering" in the community is something that I literally don't have time to do, and those people probably wouldn't want an atheist Libertarian weed smoking metal head in their churches for these "youth groups".

That's where your problem lies. Churches don't turn down anyone. That's your own internal issue.

bleudog

November 04, 2016, 03:18:22 pm #41 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:23:15 pm by bleudog
Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 02:54:36 pm
I'm sure in your 16,000 posts I could find a spelling/grammar issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've corrected you over one, haha. Now, I would imagine that attending practice is a requirement for retaining one's scholarship, I don't think standing for the anthem is. As I've said, I don't agree with their actions, but it's the country we live in these days.

As your post count is slightly ahead of mine, I could say the same about you.  ;)

Regardless of typos or misunderstood spell checks, I don't agree with JK's response.
I don't agree with the coach's response.
I don't agree with the AD's response.
I don't agree with the players choice of "platform" (one of their words) to express their personal beliefs.

I do agree the players have the right to express their beliefs. But to take advantage of their "platform" as U of A athletes to do so is unacceptable. And for those in authority at U of A to sanction their "protest" delivery method is disappointing.

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 03:18:22 pm
As your post count is slightly ahead of mine, I could say the same about you.  ;)

Regardless of typos or misunderstood spell checks, I don't agree with JK's response.
I don't agree with the coach's response.
I don't agree with the AD's response.
I don't agree with the players choice of "platform" (one of their words) to express their personal beliefs.

I do agree the players have the right to express their beliefs. But to take advantage of their "platform" as U of A athletes is unacceptable. And for those in authority at U of A to sanction their "protest" delivery method is also unacceptable.

Oh, I quit worrying about my mistakes, lol. Should the Chancellor dismiss every student who doesn't stand for the anthem at all events across the campus? I agree that the only thing they've done is bring attention on their kneeling, and little if any on the "injustices". So, in your mind, they should have removed the scholarship of anyone that kneels?

bleudog

November 04, 2016, 03:46:26 pm #43 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:59:21 pm by bleudog
Quote from: ricepig on November 04, 2016, 03:23:04 pm
Oh, I quit worrying about my mistakes, lol. Should the Chancellor dismiss every student who doesn't stand for the anthem at all events across the campus? I agree that the only thing they've done is bring attention on their kneeling, and little if any on the "injustices". So, in your mind, they should have removed the scholarship of anyone that kneels?

An individual student at an event where the anthem is played has more discretion than a student representing the school at the event.  I think as an athlete on scholarship involved in the school athletic event, that athlete is perceived by the general public as representing the university.  In that situation, those student-athletes should be held to a higher standard.

I still don't know if there is a student-athlete code of conduct, but there is an employee handbook:

"As a citizen, you have the right to engage in political activity. However, you must do so on your own time.....You may not use your university title, your affiliation with the university, or the university's name, symbols, property or supplies in political activities....."

http://hr.uark.edu/working/handbook/9-employee-conduct/9-6.php

Removal of scholarship might be draconian for a first offense, but free speech isn't always free of consequences.  Failure to represent the school in a appropriate and acceptable manner while on the school's time should be a situation where there are some sort of consequences. 

beach bum

November 04, 2016, 03:49:08 pm #44 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 03:51:10 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Big Fan on November 04, 2016, 01:58:33 pm
This statement is laced with stupidity...but, consider the source.

How? Because you don't agree and I was taught to stay out of peoples' personal lives? You sound like a real winner! You know someone has lost an argument when they immediately pull out the you're  stupid card! At least make some valid points against me. It just sounds like you are especially upset and like knowing what is going on in everyone else's personal life.

RyanLR

There's still nothing specific about the Anthem. What do you think the coaches are supposed to do for this? I wasn't aware that Nationalism was a requirement to play college athletics.

RyanLR

Quote from: AirWarren on November 04, 2016, 03:16:11 pm
That's where your problem lies. Churches don't turn down anyone. That's your own internal issue.
Yeah I'm not a fan of mind control. You couldn't pay me to step foot inside a church.

AirWarren

November 04, 2016, 04:00:26 pm #47 Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:04:06 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: RyanLR on November 04, 2016, 03:55:44 pm
Yeah I'm not a fan of mind control. You couldn't pay me to step foot inside a church.

What's atheism? Christians "buy" into beliefs through "mind control". What's the difference in an atheist "buying" into "mind control". What excludes atheism from mind control? Someone had to influence your mind and thought process at some point.

Ok, that's fine if you wouldn't step foot into a church. That's your right.

ricepig

Quote from: bleudog on November 04, 2016, 03:46:26 pm
An individual student at an event where the anthem is played has more discretion than a student representing the school at the event.  I think as an athlete on scholarship involved in the school athletic event, that athlete is perceived by the general public as representing the university.  In that situation, those student-athletes should be held to a higher standard.

I still don't know if there is a student-athlete code of conduct, but there is an employee handbook:

"As a citizen, you have the right to engage in political activity. However, you must do so on your own time...."

http://hr.uark.edu/working/handbook/9-employee-conduct/9-6.php

Removal of scholarship might be draconian for a first offense, but free speech isn't always free of consequences.  Failure to represent the school in a appropriate and acceptable manner while on the school's time should be a situation where there are some sort of consequences.

Well, I'm guessing they don't have the same opinion as you do as to what is "appropriate and acceptable". Good thing you aren't a Hog fan as you would have pulled all the schollies after the Auburn game, lol.

Big Fan

Quote from: beach bum on November 04, 2016, 03:49:08 pm
How? Because you don't agree and I was taught to stay out of peoples' personal lives? You sound like a real winner! You know someone has lost an argument when they immediately pull out the you're  stupid card! At least make some valid points against me. It just sounds like you are especially upset and like knowing what is going on in everyone else's personal life.

Quote from: beach bum on November 04, 2016, 01:39:07 pm
Relax, and don't worry about other peoples' actions that don't effect you and you will be a lot happier on a daily basis.
If you're going to preach it, practice it.  lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas