• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BV and BVW both hosting first round playoff game

Started by Rob Van Winkle, October 31, 2016, 01:21:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Van Winkle

Both teams will host a first round game and they only have one stadium. I guess BVW will have to "borrow a stadium" and host their game out of town.

Anyone from BV know what they are going to do?

ITguy96

I would like to know this as well because as it stands now it looks like Cabot will travel to BVW in the first round unless they upset NLR which I do not see happening. Might make the trip up there.

Rob Van Winkle

Any possibility of playing a game Saturday afternoon? This would allow each team to actually host a game

Brian G

I think it is wrong to play on a different date.  It's on the host team to have a stadium or find a solution within the same time frame.

Play in Rogers or Siloam or let the other team host it.

sportsguy80

Quote from: B.G. on October 31, 2016, 05:07:09 pm
I think it is wrong to play on a different date.  It's on the host team to have a stadium or find a solution within the same time frame.

Play in Rogers or Siloam or let the other team host it.
I'm thinking along those same parameters. Unless there is something else going on or an issue we're not aware of Rogers or Siloam Springs would make good alternatives. This is a good topic to discuss because as a fan we sometimes overlook issues like this.

RamblinWest

Another option is installing temporary stands at their home field.  A decision will be made in the next couple of days.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RamblinWest on October 31, 2016, 06:01:03 pm
Another option is installing temporary stands at their home field.  A decision will be made in the next couple of days.
Do they have lights at the new stadium?

RamblinWest

Yes, they have been playing JV & freshmen games out there this season.

ricepig

Quote from: RamblinWest on November 01, 2016, 10:12:28 am
Yes, they have been playing JV & freshmen games out there this season.
Just act like it's a youth soccer game and everyone bring their lawn chair!

Rob Van Winkle

If they have lights then portable stands makes the most sense. Sure would hate to miss an opportunity to host a playoff game, especially in your inaugural year.

TigerHawg

Last I heard they were looking into renting portable stands. I agree I think it would be a great thing for the team to get to host that game om their turf.

RamblinWest

I'm hearing it may be played on Thursday night at Tiger stadium.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RamblinWest on November 02, 2016, 09:14:20 am
I heard the same thing last night from my son.

Grizzlyfan

If I am their first round opponent I refuse to move the game.  Make the logistics on them as difficult as possible.

ITguy96

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 02, 2016, 09:49:37 am
If I am their first round opponent I refuse to move the game.  Make the logistics on them as difficult as possible.
If they do it on a Thursday night I wont be making the trip up there.

TigerHawg

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on November 02, 2016, 09:45:49 am
I heard the same thing last night from my son.

Just saw they moved the Black/Gold BB event from Thursday to Monday the 7th due to the playoffs so may be right on the Thursday game. Not a great idea imo but I am going to the Tiger game anyway :)

7AFBFAN

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 02, 2016, 09:49:37 am

Yeah let's punish a new school and a bunch of 16-17 year olds for having a great first year of football. Really?

Brian G

As I said before, no way I consent as opposing team.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on November 02, 2016, 11:41:46 am
Yeah let's punish a new school and a bunch of 16-17 year olds for having a great first year of football. Really?
Punish?  That might be just a tad bit of a stretch.  There are options the Bentonville school district can employ instead of forcing another school (coming from Central Arkansas) to play on Thursday.  In other words, let Bentonville pound sand.

OB11

Quote from: B.G. on November 02, 2016, 12:14:44 pm
As I said before, no way I consent as opposing team.

I agree.  If I'm the opposing team, there's no way I agree to play on Thursday.   

Rob Van Winkle

November 02, 2016, 02:03:56 pm #20 Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:02:28 pm by Rob Van Winkle
So who has the final say in the agreement? Can the AAA can step in and mandate the when and where? 30+ years ago NS and SS shared Mayo Thompson stadium. Not sure if there was ever a playoff conflict when they shared the stadium.

If I was the visiting team I would not want the game moved to another day either.

Brian G

You have to assume the AAA has the final say.  There likely is some school to school conversation.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 02, 2016, 01:36:30 pm
Punish?  That might be just a tad bit of a stretch.  There are options the Bentonville school district can employ instead of forcing another school (coming from Central Arkansas) to play on Thursday.  In other words, let Bentonville pound sand.

Ha yeah. I hope these kids are rewarded with a home game. Are there plans for West to have a stadium? You would think with the money in Bentonville that is a done deal.

ricepig

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on November 02, 2016, 07:00:55 pm
Ha yeah. I hope these kids are rewarded with a home game. Are there plans for West to have a stadium? You would think with the money in Bentonville that is a done deal.

I'm sure it's like Har-Ber's, they have to act like education matters first, lol.

Brian G

There are two teams to consider here.  The opposing team should not have to deal with a problem not of their own making. No to mention inconvenience for all to travel on a Thur or Sat, the main issue is this is a Friday sport.  Traveling on a Thur or Sat is going to ruin all kinds of regular routines.  If they play Thur, they're last practice is on a Wed.

It's not about "punishment" for West, it's about being fair.

7AFBFAN

Quote from: B.G. on November 02, 2016, 07:13:00 pm
There are two teams to consider here.  The opposing team should not have to deal with a problem not of their own making. No to mention inconvenience for all to travel on a Thur or Sat, the main issue is this is a Friday sport.  Traveling on a Thur or Sat is going to ruin all kinds of regular routines.  If they play Thur, they're last practice is on a Wed.

It's not about "punishment" for West, it's about being fair.

Yeah my wording was probably not accurate. It would be nice if the game could be played on Friday and in NWA. I wonder if they would consider a doubleheader starting at 6? Put Bennie first as their game is more than likely going to end quickly.

Rob Van Winkle

West has a stadium and lights. Just no bleachers

OB11

Quote from: TigerHawg on November 02, 2016, 05:42:44 am
Last I heard they were looking into renting portable stands. I agree I think it would be a great thing for the team to get to host that game om their turf.

Do they have a track around the football field?  If so, I can't imagine watching this game would be much fun from bleachers that are only 5 or 6 rows high.  Even without a track, visibility would not be good.  And I imagine there would be a pretty good crowd for this game?

Rob Van Winkle

Tiger94

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Football/FB_PlayoffGuide_2016.pdf

This is the link for the AAA guide.  According to the rules high seed plays on Friday and the lower seed plays on Saturday in a shared stadium situation.

B2 Stealth Bomber

From the Playoff Guide for the AAA

IV  SCHOOLS SHARING A STADIUM
In the event a school district has more than one play‐off
team assigned the home site on a given Friday of a play‐off
series and has only one stadium, scheduling shall be required as follows.

A.  The game of the host team having the highest seeded
position in the bracket shall be scheduled to play Fri‐
day.

B.  The game of the host team with the next highest
seeded position shall be rescheduled to play Saturday.

C.  If three teams of a school district with only one stadium are required by rule to play the same day, the
lowest seeded team's game shall be rescheduled to be
played on Thursday.

Edit: Tiger94 beat me to it.

OB11

How often has that rule been enforced?  I can't think of any instances of this in recent memory.

sportsguy80

Honestly,  everyone have legitimate points. If I am a player or coach, we would adjust accordingly. At the end of the day things happen but playing the game is most important regardless of circumstances.

Tiger94

Looks like it is really a AAA decision.  Do they follow their own rules or make up new ones as they go?

OB11

Quote from: Tiger94 on November 03, 2016, 01:23:33 pm
Looks like it is really a AAA decision.  Do they follow their own rules or make up new ones as they go?

That's why I was wondering when the last time this was actually enforced was.

Rob Van Winkle

Well it will either be Conway or Cabot making the trip, more than likely Cabot. The AAA SHOULD, and I stress should, contact both teams now and start the discussions. I would prefer a Thursday game which would give the winning team the opportunity to get an extra day rest before playing someone who has already had a bye.

Just my 2 cents

ricepig

Play the game at Rogers, it's not like BVW has been playing in their home stadium, anyway.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on November 03, 2016, 01:31:34 pm
Play the game at Rogers, it's not like BVW has been playing in their home stadium, anyway.

Playing the game at a neutral site on Friday makes the most sense to me.  I know it's not really fair to the players at BVW but the powers that be at Bentonville should have had a stadium ready in case this situation occurred after opening a new school. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: OB11 on November 03, 2016, 01:34:47 pm
Playing the game at a neutral site on Friday makes the most sense to me.  I know it's not really fair to the players at BVW but the powers that be at Bentonville should have had a stadium ready in case this situation occurred after opening a new school.
I guess I don't get why it's unfair to BVW.  If they play in Rogers they are 15 minutes from their "home" stadium.  Their fans will pack the home field side.  It's a lot more fair than asking a team travelling 4 hours to adjust everything they do to play on Thursday or Saturday.

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on November 03, 2016, 01:31:34 pm

Sounds logical to me as well.

OB11

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 03, 2016, 01:50:49 pm
I guess I don't get why it's unfair to BVW.  If they play in Rogers they are 15 minutes from their "home" stadium.  Their fans will pack the home field side.  It's a lot more fair than asking a team travelling 4 hours to adjust everything they do to play on Thursday or Saturday.

I totally agree with that.  I just said it was unfair to the players because their district should be able to provide them with their own home stadium (at their own school) to play their first ever playoff game. 

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on November 03, 2016, 01:53:07 pm
I totally agree with that.  I just said it was unfair to the players because their district should be able to provide them with their own home stadium (at their own school) to play their first ever playoff game.

Ummm, maybe because the district is trying to choke down the costs of building new schools every year?? Har-Ber didn't have a stadium for a few years, BVW Wil live until one's built. That, and it's not like WM vendors can pay for one, right???

TigerHawg

Just saw that Scott Passmore officially filed a request that the game be played on Thursday. (not that I agree at all)

Brian G

Razorback Red

November 03, 2016, 05:53:09 pm #44 Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:03:06 pm by Razorback Red
Quote from: B.G. on November 03, 2016, 04:56:27 pm
They are avoiding Sat due to the Hog game.

Correct.  I had a conversation on Twitter today with Henry Apple and he said the AAA has said that a double-header on Fri was out and Sat was out due to Hog game.  That really only leaves the one option of Thurs night. 

Not ideal, but only right to allow West a home game and Tiger Stadium is their home this year.  The kids earned it and should be rewarded for that success. 

In bigger states, there are playoff games on Thurs, Fri and Sat almost every week, so this is not out of the ordinary.  Several 6A schools in TX share stadiums. 

Brian G

I will maintain it's not right for the opposing team to have to play on a non-traditional date.  I come from a neutral position and that's my personal opinion.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on November 03, 2016, 06:14:20 pm
I will maintain it's not right for the opposing team to have to play on a non-traditional date.  I come from a neutral position and that's my personal opinion.

I concur, especially since it's going to be a visitor from 3 hours away. There's no reason to punish/handicap the visiting team/fans.

Razorback Red

Quote from: ricepig on November 03, 2016, 06:18:08 pm
I concur, especially since it's going to be a visitor from 3 hours away. There's no reason to punish/handicap the visiting team/fans.

I respect both of your opinions, but I don't see how it's punishing or handicapping either team.  I agree it's not ideal, but both teams will be there and be ready to play.  Parents will leave work early or do what they have to do to see the game. 

I personally wish there was a better option, but almost certain this is the way the AAA will go.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 03, 2016, 06:28:19 pm
I respect both of your opinions, but I don't see how it's punishing or handicapping either team.  I agree it's not ideal, but both teams will be there and be ready to play.  Parents will leave work early or do what they have to do to see the game. 

I personally wish there was a better option, but almost certain this is the way the AAA will go.

And the students who wish to go? It's not there "home" field, it's being borrowed, lol.

Brian G

Friday nights are normal SOP for people and their work schedules.  For some, getting off on a Thursday is not their normal SOP.  Playoffs are planned a mile in advance and changing the date is absurd.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas