• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delay of Game & Game Clock

Started by OB11, September 02, 2016, 09:37:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

SCENARIO FROM A JR. HIGH GAME

Team A is on defense down by 6 with about 1:45 left to go in the game with 2 timeouts left.  Team B has the ball with a fresh set of downs.  Team B runs a play to make it 2nd and 8.  Team B fails to get a play off before the 25 second clock runs out resulting in a delay of game penalty.  I would think this saves Team A a timeout...but the referees say the game clock begins again on the whistle along with a fresh 25 second clock.  So Team B is forced to use another timeout to stop the clock. 

Were the referees correct to start the game clock after the delay of game penalty?  If they were correct, why would Team B not just get a delay of game penalty every play until the game clock ran out?  This rule makes no sense to me. 

Rulesman

Rule 3-4-3i states the clock is started on the snap when a delay of game penalty is accepted. However, Rule 3-4-6 states the clock shall be started or stopped when a team (meaning either) attempts to conserve or consume time illegally. Keep in mind the clock for Jr high games operates under the rules as they were in the mid 90, which may or may not be the same as they are today.

Did the offense intentionally take the DOG penalty or was it a situation where they were just unorganized?

For future reference the offense is always referred to as Team A; the defense is always Team B.

OB11

The offense didn't do it intentionally.

And I'll remember that. Only reason I did it that way was because A & B are the first letter of each respective team. Haha

ricepig

Quote from: OB11 on September 02, 2016, 05:39:25 pm
The offense didn't do it intentionally.

And I'll remember that. Only reason I did it that way was because A & B are the first letter of each respective team. Haha

Annie Camp and Batesville, lol???

OB11

Yep! Using A and B helped me keep it straight in my head when I was writing it out. Lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas