• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charter-school movement in Arkansas will ravage high-school football

Started by Rey Pygsterio, June 26, 2016, 12:37:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

By now you may have heard something about the charter-school movement in Arkansas being pushed by the Walton Family Foundation and its paid-for office at the UA.

Many of you may not really care, especially if you are living in an area not yet affected by the growth of charter schools throughout the state.

But let me tell you why you should be concerned -- they are going to destroy high-school football in public schools all over Arkansas.

The charter schools operate mostly like private schools but are funded by your tax dollars. As more charter schools open, they are going to continue to siphon students away from public schools and take numbers away from the football program. But more importantly they drain money and resources that are vitally needed to support the football programs.

Additionally, they recruit -- and seem to get away with it much easier than even PA and Little Rock Christian!

If you want Arkansas high-school football to continue to grow and thrive, tell somebody that the growth of the charter-school movement has to be limited.

Lionheart88

Let's not lose sight of what's important here.  At a school, education should always be first.  Generally speaking, charter schools tend to offer a higher quality of education than your garden-variety public school.  I'm willing to sacrifice a modicum of quality in football and any other athletic program if it gives kids a better chance to succeed at life.

But at any rate, I think you're going full Chicken Little here.  The sky is not falling.  As far as I can see, there's nothing stopping charter schools from starting their own football programs, and in the long run there could actually be more total teams if a bnch of charters open up.  Besides, if football's that important to you, just keep your kids in a school that has football.

WPWells

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 26, 2016, 05:31:31 am
Let's not lose site of what's important here.  At a school, education should always be first.  Generally speaking, charter schools tend to offer a higher quality of education than your garden-variety public school.  I'm willing to sacrifice a modicum of quality in football and any other athletic program if it gives kids a better chance to succeed at life.

But at any rate, I think you're going full Chicken Little here.  The sky is not falling.  As far as I can see, there's nothing stopping charter schools from starting their own football programs, and in the long run there could actually be more total teams if a bnch of charters open up.  Besides, if football's that important to you, just keep your kids in a school that has football.

+1000

tmycjy

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 26, 2016, 12:37:47 am
By now you may have heard something about the charter-school movement in Arkansas being pushed by the Walton Family Foundation and its paid-for office at the UA.

Many of you may not really care, especially if you are living in an area not yet affected by the growth of charter schools throughout the state.

But let me tell you why you should be concerned -- they are going to destroy high-school football in public schools all over Arkansas.

The charter schools operate mostly like private schools but are funded by your tax dollars. As more charter schools open, they are going to continue to siphon students away from public schools and take numbers away from the football program. But more importantly they drain money and resources that are vitally needed to support the football programs.

Additionally, they recruit -- and seem to get away with it much easier than even PA and Little Rock Christian!

If you want Arkansas high-school football to continue to grow and thrive, tell somebody that the growth of the charter-school movement has to be limited.

Hey I don't know what going on here I just want easy answer of this can some one explain

ricepig

Let's not lose sight of what's important here.  At a school, education should always be first.  Generally speaking, charter schools tend to offer a higher quality of education than your garden-variety public school.  I'm willing to sacrifice a modicum of quality in football and any other athletic program if it gives kids a better chance to succeed at life.

Wait....what......kids are transferring for education......say it ain't so........Nice rebuttal to ole Rey, he's been lost since ole Robbie stopped posting on HV.

Rey Pygsterio

Check the test scores. Charter schools are not outperforming most public schools. But what they are doing is TAKING MONEY away from the schools, and that is going to have a drastic impact on athletic department budgets if this movement goes any further.

WPWells

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 26, 2016, 10:31:13 am
Check the test scores. Charter schools are not outperforming most public schools. But what they are doing is TAKING MONEY away from the schools, and that is going to have a drastic impact on athletic department budgets if this movement goes any further.

Test scores are a significantly flawed metric

Longfellow

Test scores are a terrible way to compare schools. Standardized tests don't account for the individual needs of each student. It doesn't make sense to have every student, regardless of intelligence or learning disability, take the same test

Rey Pygsterio

I agree, but that's what the state board of education used to take over the Little Rock School District and begin the charter push, so unfortunately they have significant relevance.

ricepig

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 26, 2016, 11:27:23 am
I agree, but that's what the state board of education used to take over the Little Rock School District and begin the charter push, so unfortunately they have significant relevance.

As flawed as the LRSD is, they need any and all the help they can get. As far as their athletic budgets, you can't any lower than theirs already is, lol.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 26, 2016, 11:27:23 am

When did fearless Friday turn into the Arkansas Times?

How dare a parent put their kid in a good environment. If I were a parent in Little Rock Hall's district, you bet I would be finding a charter school. Or a private.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 26, 2016, 12:37:47 am

Are you an Arkansas Times writer?

AirWarren

Maumelle charter aka Maumelle academics plus has basketball and a couple of other sports. It will eventually get a football team. May be 15 years from now but it will happen.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on June 26, 2016, 11:48:36 am
As flawed as the LRSD is, they need any and all the help they can get. As far as their athletic budgets, you can't any lower than theirs already is, lol.

The little rock school district is in shambles because of the ghosts of the 1950-1960s. Out of guilt, the district did everything they could to hire unqualified people to run their districts. How many superintendents have been let go due to money theft, plagiarism, etc. All types of people hired based on other stupid stuff other than actual qualification.

Beaver Fever

A lot of public schools are converting to charter to avoid being under the thumb of the dept of Ed.  They still have to answer to them but charter schools follow a different set of guidelines which is appealing to some districts.

AirWarren

HorseFeathers

The charter school at junction city seems to b working good for them in multiple ways 8)

AirWarren

The thing about a charters, they can be great if they are run right. In Warren, they aren't being run right and the district is suffering.

sevenof400

Quote from: Beaver Fever on June 26, 2016, 05:38:23 pm
A lot of public schools are converting to charter to avoid being under the thumb of the dept of Ed.  They still have to answer to them but charter schools follow a different set of guidelines which is appealing to some districts.

Wait a second here, are you sure about this?

AirWarren

I was under the impression that charter school status allowed districts to have access to more grants and money.

Warren needs to get rid of that charter school garbage.

bleudog

The Lord giveth:  CLICK HERE

and the Lord taketh away:  CLICK HERE

Rey Pygsterio

Walton Family Foundation is funding the demise of high-school football in Arkansas. The formula is to get a charter up and running, siphon the successful kids from the public schools, and then use public tax money to sustain the charters. All to the detriment of the existing public schools and their athletic programs.

Timely news for this thread:

Walton Foundation pours $250 million more into charter schools, including Little Rock

Rey Pygsterio

How is Little Rock Central, which is potentially one of the most important high-school athletic programs for Razorback football, ever supposed to get its feet on the ground when the rug keeps being pulled from underneath it?

Once the Walton charters get their hands on all the Heights kids going to Central, enrollment will drop off which in turn means less funding to the school in a lot of areas. The football program already doesn't have nearly enough.

Reduced funding equals reduced success. That is why Jeff Long is always asking you for more money.

Razorback Red

I don't see where the growth of Charter schools is a bad thing.  They give parents and students alternative choices to succeed.  Academics are always going to trump athletics, as they should.

Rey Pygsterio

But the charters aren't outperforming in academics either.

The ideologues want to tell you they are, but check city after city, including in Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 05:50:51 pm

The ideologues want to tell you they are, but check city after city, including in Arkansas.

Since when have you cared about athletics over academics, lol. Don't look now, but your agenda is showing.

Razorback Red

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 05:50:51 pm

Choice > No Choice 

Pretty simple equation.  I can't speak nationally or for the rest of AR for that matter, but we have some very successful charter schools in NWA and they are not negatively impacting any of the public schools academic or athletic programs. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Razorback Red on June 28, 2016, 06:07:32 pm
Choice > No Choice 

Pretty simple equation.  I can't speak for nationally or for the rest of AR for that matter, but we have some very successful charter schools in NWA and they are not negatively impacting any of the public schools academic or athletic programs. 

Blaming charter schools is the liberal's way of masking the true facts.

Education starts at HOME. These inner city schools are chock full of kids that have no home life or encouragement to succeed and overcome. How do you change that? At home. It's not the private schools fault. It's not the walton's fault. It's not the charters fault. It's society and how kids are brought up or lack there of. That in itself, is a a bigger problem than a wealthy family putting up money to give educational opportunity outside of "public schools".

Rey Pygsterio

Charter schools, though they run like private schools, are free because they use the tax money that otherwise goes to public schools.

So the wealthy family doesn't need to put up any money. They are using yours.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 06:31:51 pm
Charter schools, though they run like private schools, are free because they use the tax money that otherwise goes to public schools.

For a kid to get a chance at a great educational experience, I'm all for it. Use my tax money.

What I'm not for. Is a person having 5 kids from 4 different daddy's, living in section 8, getting a check for every kid they spit out, not working, etc. Now, you want to get me fired up about where and how my tax dollars are spent, you may not want to suggest how my tax dollars are spent.

ricepig

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 06:31:51 pm

So, they're public schools that are accountable to the ADE, nothing to see here. If they don't meet their requirements, their charter will be pulled.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on June 28, 2016, 07:22:54 pm
So, they're public schools that are accountable to the ADE, nothing to see here. If they don't meet their requirements, their charter will be pulled.

But that's different rice pig. Charter schools have the "race card" pulled on them all the time. I drive by Estem in downtown little rock often. Seems 50/50 to me if not 60/40 black to white.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: ricepig on June 28, 2016, 07:22:54 pm

Unfortunately not true. Charter school in Little Rock not meeting standards recently got a waiver to seek expansion.

Those in the department of education and on the state board who are pushing this agenda are constantly overlooking charter deficiencies.

But let's focus, people. We are talking about the effect this wave is going to have on high-school sports, football in particular. I'm just sounding the alarm because it is coming.

AirWarren

And? My opinion stays true. Education before athletics. If it comes to that so be it. We need more working class earners in the world as opposed to athletes.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 07:50:48 pm
But that's different rice pig. Charter schools have the "race card" pulled on them all the time. I drive by Estem in downtown little rock often. Seems 50/50 to me if not 60/40 black to white.

And not one of those Estem kids is going to play high-school football -- because Estem doesn't field a team. Doesn't have a gym either.

Too bad for the schools those kids would have gone to otherwise in great need of filling rosters not to mention the funding those schools are losing by losing those students.

ricepig

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 07:55:36 pm
Unfortunately not true. Charter school in Little Rock not meeting standards recently got a waiver to seek expansion.

Those in the department of education and on the state board who are pushing this agenda are constantly overlooking charter deficiencies.

But let's focus, people. We are talking about the effect this wave is going to have on high-school sports, football in particular. I'm just sounding the alarm because it is coming.

Well, for all practical purposes, football has been dead in LRSD since Walker got his money. Also, how about some links for all these claims you make, it might actor help you case, somewhat.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 08:00:05 pm
And not one of those Estem kids is going to play high-school football -- because Estem doesn't field a team. Doesn't have a gym either.

Too bad for the schools those kids would have gone to otherwise in great need of filling rosters not to mention the funding those schools are losing by losing those students.

They play soccer and other extracurricular activities. Estem is a school with a stress on science and mathematics. Hence why they focus on clubs such as building robots, Etc. Give it time. Estem will be able to do those things. Don't blame the parents for wanting their kids out of the LRSD or pcssd due to years of incompetence and lack of proper hiring for leadership positions.

Pig, where do you live if you don't mind me asking. And do you have children in the LRSD or pcssd?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 07:55:36 pm

charter school in little rock? kinda vague with this claim,I'm not familiar with most charter schools and can name 2 off the top of my head (lisa academy and LR Quest)...so I'm sure there are a dozen more at least..

AirWarren

The popular ones in the area.

Estem.
Academics plus(Maumelle charter school)
Lisa academy
Quest charter schools

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 08:04:19 pm

Pig, where do you live if you don't mind me asking. And do you have children in the LRSD or pcssd?

Little Rock and LRSD.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 28, 2016, 08:36:05 pm
charter school in little rock? kinda vague with this claim,I'm not familiar with most charter schools and can name 2 off the top of my head (lisa academy and LR Quest)...so I'm sure there are a dozen more at least..

"The most telling decision the state Board made last night was to renew the charter for Covenant Keepers. It has failed — by the legal standard of 50 percent proficiency on standardized tests — for the entirety of its existence. But they mean well, the experts in the state Education Department decided, and they should be allowed to continue on. These same experts found that the failure of six schools in Little Rock to meet proficiency (sometimes barely) — while 42 Little Rock schools WERE proficient — was sufficient ground to fire the Little Rock School Board and let the state take over."

The end of public education as we knew it in Arkansas

AirWarren

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 09:21:28 pm
Little Rock and LRSD.

I have a child in the pcssd. I'm a public product and I turned out fine. So I'm willing to give public the shot it deserves. However, if it begins to tank, you better believe I will be pulling mine out.

Rey Pygsterio

If my memory is correct, this same Covenant Keepers requested a waiver to move and expand -- and it turned out the property was owned by the Waltons. What a coincidence!

But the point here is all the money, resources, and students this massive charter-school push in Arkansas is about to drain from public-school athletic programs.

Hear me now or believe me later, I think is how Hanz and Franz would put it.

AirWarren

Covenant keepers is also a charter school that could never meet requirements and manage money correctly. Throw in the fact it hired non licensed  teachers and poor leadership. It deserves to be shut down or lose its ability to receive grants.

What's your problem with the waltons? They earn the money they have hence can spend it the way they want to.

AirWarren

And for what's it's worth. You may want to find another LRSD failure scapegoat. The district and football programs have been in the dumps well before the inception of charter schools.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 09:23:13 pm
"The most telling decision the state Board made last night was to renew the charter for Covenant Keepers. It has failed — by the legal standard of 50 percent proficiency on standardized tests — for the entirety of its existence. But they mean well, the experts in the state Education Department decided, and they should be allowed to continue on. These same experts found that the failure of six schools in Little Rock to meet proficiency (sometimes barely) — while 42 Little Rock schools WERE proficient — was sufficient ground to fire the Little Rock School Board and let the state take over."

Ahhh. I knew you were a reader of that Arkansas times garbage.

ricepig

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on June 28, 2016, 09:23:13 pm

Lol, Max Brantley, at least we know the true reason behind your stance on Charter schools, and not athletics. LRSD has failed the students of LR for years, they might as well try charter schools, it couldn't be any worse.

AirWarren

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: AirWarren on June 28, 2016, 09:32:46 pm
Covenant keepers is also a charter school that could never meet requirements and manage money correctly. Throw in the fact it hired non licensed  teachers and poor leadership. It deserves to be shut down or lose its ability to receive grants.

What's your problem with the waltons? They earn the money they have hence can spend it the way they want to.

Well if you are fine with it they will keep taking your money and as a bonus take the money away from all the real public schools.

The problem with the Walton heirs, who by the way mostly did not earn the money, is that they should not be allowed to walk in and take over a school district and state department of education just because they can write a check to the right elected officials who share their faulty notions on education. But that is what is happening in Arkansas right now.

WPWells

Max Brantley's opinion isn't worth anymore than the toilet paper I just wiped my butt with

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas