• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congrats

Started by RTF, November 02, 2015, 08:22:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RTF

Congrats to all the teams that won State.

Paris, Shiloh, Valley, Marion, Fayetteville

Who are the favorites for next year?

moe99expedition

I can only speak for 7A. I still like Fayetteville but it will not be a cake walk.

sevenof400

I'll take a wild guess and predict an East team will win the 5A crown next year....

1-Adam-12

Paris will be strong again and Hoxie will contend in 3A too.

Booneville moves up to 4A but will still be strong enough to contend with Mena and Ft Lake in the West.  And if you can contend in the West, you can contend at state.

RTF

I figured 5a-7a the same teams will be favored. I figured Hoxie might be the favorite in 3a for next year with Paris right behind behind them. I am not sure about 4a, I figured Booneville would be in the mix. All speculation on my part though.

Marionvolleyballdad

Marion should be back in the mix again next year for the 6A state title.  5 of the 6 starters return next year with a good supporting group of 10th graders.

vhsladyeagles

Congrats to all the teams.  5A East is definitely  ahead of the other conferences in the 5A but hopefully the West will continue to improve.  Also, question on the All Star Team ?  In other sports, you generally have to make the state tournament for a player to be nominated for the all star team ?  Just curious as there are girls listed that played on teams that didn't even come close to making the state tournament....

1-Adam-12

November 02, 2015, 07:38:50 pm #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:42:06 pm by 1-Adam-12
Not necessarily.  Back in '95 we had a girl not only be nominated for, but actually played in the basketball all-star game off a 5-21 team.  The nomination(s) go to the best senior player(s) in the conference, regardless of whether they made the state tourney or not.  Of course it helped that this girl averaged 21+ ppg and had 7 games with 30+ points that season.

I also know a girl from Clarksville was nominated for VB back when they and us were in the same VB conference.  C'ville that year was not even close to a state tournament berth.  But that girl was the real deal and carried the whole team.

sevenof400

November 02, 2015, 07:54:02 pm #8 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:57:12 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: vhsladyeagles on November 02, 2015, 07:20:16 pm
Congrats to all the teams.  5A East is definitely  ahead of the other conferences in the 5A but hopefully the West will continue to improve.  Also, question on the All Star Team ?  In other sports, you generally have to make the state tournament for a player to be nominated for the all star team ?  Just curious as there are girls listed that played on teams that didn't even come close to making the state tournament....

Keep in mind the All Star teams are seniors only and these players did NOT have to make the state tournament (although many of them did).

This is NOT the All State team - that should be announced shortly.

And I should mention the All Star team for this year will be called the 2016 All Star team (as they will be listed on the AHSAA web site).

Vballfan

November 02, 2015, 08:24:55 pm #9 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 08:30:21 pm by Vballfan
Quote from: sevenof400 on November 02, 2015, 07:54:02 pm
Quote from: vhsladyeagles on November 02, 2015, 07:20:16 pm

Keep in mind the All Star teams are seniors only and these players did NOT have to make the state tournament (although many of them did).

This is NOT the All State team - that should be announced shortly.

And I should mention the All Star team for this year will be called the 2016 All Star team (as they will be listed on the AHSAA web site).

One comment on all state, I personally feel with the caliber of play increasing Overall and particlularly at the 6A and 7A levels, there are kids that have been identified as college prospects, or have offers are in some cases may even be committed that very well may be left out despite playing key roles for their teams success.  8 kids from 7A west, 4 from the central and 4 from the east isn't enough when so many more kids in 3A through 5A will be recognized.

Not taking anything away from those kids but not sure the current process is the best way to recognize the true all state  talent. Same can really be said for All Star Week.  A kid from a not very good south school  may get all state honors when only a few of the state champion Marion kids are likely to get honored. Happened last year with russellville too, and probably many other schools these two just came to mind

TheOfficial

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 02, 2015, 11:02:49 am

Booneville moves up to 4A but will still be strong enough to contend with Mena and Ft Lake in the West.  And if you can contend in the West, you can contend at state.

Valley Springs and Bergman both have everything back too!

moe99expedition

Unfortunately the South is not well known for its volleyball (outside of Texas). If this were football or baseball we would be having a different conversation. As for the All-Star game all divisions should be represented equally and fairly. All-Tournament (following championship game) and All-State teams should be announced immediately after tournament is over.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: TheOfficial on November 02, 2015, 10:51:17 pm
Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on November 02, 2015, 11:02:49 am

Valley Springs and Bergman both have everything back too!

Was impressed with Bergman. Knocked off Episcopal and gave Walnut Ridge something to think about in the 2nd game.

Losing their back row player to injury must have hurt Valley Springs at district.  They should come back strong next season.

IAFLAR7

Went to watch 6A & 7A title games knowing full well that Fayetteville probably has the most talent from a college perspective. And they were good. But the team I was most impressed with was Marion in the 6A final. I was not expecting that from them having not seen them before. They were superb and made very few errors. Very impressive.

500 hitter

Don't get me started on All State selections.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas