• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Also, we MUST win tonight against Honduras. I don't want to be playing in the 4th place playoff. Even if we only got a draw the next two games I still think we could pull 4th place out of our behinds in a watered down CONCACAF. But, if we don't get 3rd unless we are playing New Zealand in the 4th place playoff I don't think we get to the World Cup. If we play a team from the Asian Federation I don't know if we could win it to get in the World Cup from that 4th place playoff spot. We just are not very good right now.

VHSCoach2

Trinidad & Tabago just defeated Panama 1-0. That leaves the U.S. as the only nation without a point (so far). However, T&T's win is a good result for the U.S.

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 24, 2017, 07:53:43 pm
Trinidad & Tabago just defeated Panama 1-0. That leaves the U.S. as the only nation without a point (so far). However, T&T's win is a good result for the U.S.

I agree if we win tonight then I think that was the best possible result. If we win the next two we are probably firmly in 3rd place after Tuesday.... I'd like to see a 3-0 win tonight, but I think Honduras will play really tight and defensive so I think we will only get 1 or 2 goals. We can't let Honduras sneak one by us for that reason they will be playing so conservatively one goal could easily get them the draw in this type of game.

beach bum

My word did anyone see how many guys are unavailable for tonight's game due to minor injuries or card accumulation. There were like 6 or 7 they flashed across the screen. The key ones were Bobby Wood, Jermaine Jones, and Deandre Yedlin.

VHSCoach2

Starting XI for tonight:

Howard, Villafana, Gonzalez, Bradley, Brooks, Dempsey, Lletget, Pulisic, Nagbe, Altidore, Cameron

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 24, 2017, 09:19:26 pm
Starting XI for tonight:

Howard, Villafana, Gonzalez, Bradley, Brooks, Dempsey, Lletget, Pulisic, Nagbe, Altidore, Cameron

Pulisic and Nagbe have to bring some spunk and energy to open up the scoring....

VHSCoach2

That's what we needed to start! Lletget cleans up Pulisic on the back post. 1-nil, 5th minute.

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 24, 2017, 10:02:25 pm
That's what we needed to start! Lletget cleans up Pulisic on the back post. 1-nil, 5th minute.

That was sweet.... 2 more goals is what we need to jump to fourth on goal difference.

VHSCoach2

VHSCoach2

Michael Bradley with a nice run and an even better finish! 2-0, 29th minute.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2017, 10:07:12 pm
That was sweet.... 2 more goals is what we need to jump to fourth on goal difference.

3-0 now after Dempsey slots one home!

beach bum

All I can say is wow after last nights 6-0 win over Honduras. Panama won't be as easy especially in the warmer weather down there. I quit posting on here after I went into a euphoric coma from the offensive clinic being displayed. I would be happy with a clean 2-0 type win on Tuesday. We are so lucky to have a player like Pulisic wearing the stars and stripes for the next decade or so.

AirWarren

AirWarren

Chelsea and Crystal Palace this weekend. Ready for some premier league ball again.

I've picked up on some MLS. Really enjoy those Portland Timbers. And I don't know if y'all have noticed, but the speed of the MLS game has really picked up. When I first started watching soccer, I would watch an EPL match. Then an MLS match and think that MLS looked in slow motion. I think that's good for US Soccer when you can start seeing that speed increase.

VHSCoach2

Lionel Messi will miss the next 4 of Argentina's final 5 World Cup qualifiers for insulting a referee against Chile.

Yes, referees are absolutely to be respected. 

But FIFA handing down a 4-match suspension for insulting a referee is a bit much when we see guys out there breaking legs with studs showing that get banned for one match.  Inconsistency at its finest.

AirWarren

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 28, 2017, 10:42:21 am
Lionel Messi will miss the next 4 of Argentina's final 5 World Cup qualifiers for insulting a referee against Chile.

But FIFA handing down a 4-match suspension for insulting a referee is a bit much when we see guys out there breaking legs with studs showing that get banned for one match.  Inconsistency at its finest.

I wish we would suspend players in the NFL, MLB, NHL, NCAA, etc for cussing refs etc.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: AirWarren on March 28, 2017, 10:50:07 am
I wish we would suspend players in the NFL, MLB, NHL, NCAA, etc for cussing refs etc.

I agree.  As I said, all referees at any level deserve respect from everyone.

However, I don't think it should be four matches.  One, maybe two tops depending on what is said.

VHSCoach2

Here's an interesting stat from the Championship:

If Aston Villa draw their next match 0-0, their stat line will read like this:

Played: 39, Won: 13, Drew: 13, Lost: 13, Goals Forced: 39, Goals Allowed: 39

VHSCoach2

To build on the topic of Messi's suspension, the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying table is very close, and Argentina currently find themselves in third place with 22 points.  Messi will be missing four of their last five World Cup qualifiers.  The matches he will be missing are against Bolivia (9th), Uruguay (2nd), Venezuela (10th), and Peru (8th).  He will return for the qualifier against Ecuador (5th).

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 28, 2017, 10:42:21 am

Is that what happened to Coleman from Everton? Is that how his leg was broken?

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on March 28, 2017, 10:02:10 am
Chelsea and Crystal Palace this weekend. Ready for some premier league ball again.

I've picked up on some MLS. Really enjoy those Portland Timbers. And I don't know if y'all have noticed, but the speed of the MLS game has really picked up. When I first started watching soccer, I would watch an EPL match. Then an MLS match and think that MLS looked in slow motion. I think that's good for US Soccer when you can start seeing that speed increase.

That is definitely what I have noticed too about the game.... I can't believe how quick Atlanta is cruising. Martinez from Venezuela is becoming one of my favorite players in the MLS on Atlanta. And where is the Palace/Chelsea game? I for some reason love Crystal Palace's stadium. It's probably my favorite of the smaller-ish venues in the EPL along with The Hawthorns for West Brom.

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 28, 2017, 11:08:32 am
To build on the topic of Messi's suspension, the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifying table is very close, and Argentina currently find themselves in third place with 22 points.  Messi will be missing four of their last five World Cup qualifiers.  The matches he will be missing are against Bolivia (9th), Uruguay (2nd), Venezuela (10th), and Peru (8th).  He will return for the qualifier against Ecuador (5th).

He is extremely lucky they are playing some of the lower teams in CONMEBOL. He was dinged up earlier in qualifying and that allowed Paraguay to get 4 points off of Argentina in his absence. Paraguay is one of those teams that they aren't terrible, but you can't allow them to get 4 out of 6 points from you. Argentina may be in trouble if they let either, Paraguay (18 points), Ecuador (20), or Chile (20) pass them if won of these lower teams steals a straight up win from Argentina.

AirWarren

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on March 28, 2017, 08:35:24 pm
USMNT game not televised?

Do you get BienSports? It is there and I just watched the Mexico vs Trinidad and Tobago game where Mexico got the 1-0 win. Honduras just got a 1-1 draw against Costa Rica which is good for them after we embarrassed them

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

Download the Go90 app.  It's completely free.  I'm streaming US/Panama on it right now.

AirWarren

AirWarren

AirWarren

Crystal palace's goal shot defense against Chelsea has been absolutely phenomenal. Defense matters folks.

VHSCoach2

The first relegation of the season has been confirmed. Rotherham United dropped the result to Fulham today, and as a result Rotherham will be back in League One next season.

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

Swansea City 0-0 Middlesbrough

Either team could have used the full three points here, but each had to settle for just one.

Swansea currently sits in 17th with 27 points.  Hull in 18th also has 27 points.  Swansea is ahead based on goal differential.  Swansea has a -27 differential, while Hull is at -31.

Middlesbrough sits in 19th with 22 points.  It looking more and more likely that they will be relegated after spending just this season in top flight.

Even farther back is Sunderland with 20 points.

1-Adam-12

Leicester over Sunderland 2-0 to send the Black Cats further toward the vortex of relegation.  And would you look at who's back in the top half of the table?  The Foxes, that's who.

MU fortunate to get a draw with Everton. An Ibra penalty at the death, and I have no gripe about the penalty.

Watford and Burnley also with wins today.

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

Leicester City is just the second club in Premier League history to lose five straight matches and then immediately win five straight.

Tottenham Hotspur in 2004 was the first.

AirWarren

Longfellow

Joshua King scores in the 87th minute to tie Liverpool and Bournemouth at 2

AirWarren

Chelsea with the win. 2-1! Needed that after this weekends match.

beach bum

Here is Chelsea's remaining schedule with a 7 point lead over Tottenham.... Let's be real Tottenham does not have the grit to catch them, but let's take a look at the remainder of the schedule for the Blues.

@Bournemouth (the Cherries are pretty good at their home ground, slight chance for a draw here I think)
Manchester United (Man U is so ugly to watch, because of that they could muck up a draw)
Southampton( Should be an easy win for Chelsea
@Everton( I could see this being a tough one up at Goodison Park)
Middlesbrough(this team as been playing as bad as Sunderland as of late, should be an easy win)
@West Brom ( they are scrappy this year, another potential tough match for Chelsea)
Sunderland(do I even need to speak here)

-Their schedule is deceivingly hard in the sense that their road matches are against some scrappy teams and they will probably drop some points there. The home matches they should at minimum get 3 wins out of the 4 left and probably another draw if not win them all I think. Tottenham will have to basically be perfect the rest of the way out except for maybe one match. Spurs can not be trusted to do that so I think Chelsea wins by about the 7 point margin they have. Maybe they stretch it out to 9 or 10 at most I think. Best case scenario I still see Spurs losing by 4 to 6 points.

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on April 06, 2017, 12:51:17 pm
Conte Pitch at Stamford Bridge.

If they can keep the type of quality they showed this season their game translates to the Champions League next year. If they do it will be fun to see how they fair. At least we know they won't fizzle out like Arsenal or Tottenham!!

AirWarren

Longfellow

beach bum

Tottenham impresses only to have Chelsea answer back with a big win.... The FA Cup semifinal and the rest of the season looks to have some spunk to it.

AirWarren

beach bum

I hope Middlesbrough gets relegated and never comes back to the Premier League.... I can't take seeing anymore 0-0 draws from them! Burnley all season and Hull City as of late have shown some real exciting play on occasion, but Middlesbrough is just happy sitting back and getting a draw.

1-Adam-12

Any other year than the last two, Spurs would be on cruise control toward an EPL championship.  Denied last year by that magical Leicester City run, probably denied this year by an excellent Chelsea team.

Also, we now know maybe the biggest reason LC won it last year:  N'Golo Kante.  Probably the best midfielder in the PL, and at the end of this season will probably have two PL championship medals.

1-Adam-12

Talking about relegation and promotion:  Sunderland are almost certainly gone, Middlesbrough are hot on their heels back to the Championship.  Still a fair number of teams in danger.  LC now almost certainly safe.

On the other hand, Brighton (84 points) and Newcastle (82) are now near locks to be promoted.  Good for the Seagulls, who will debut in the Premier League for 2017-18.  Huddersfield Town, Reading and Leeds United look to be locks for the playoffs for the 3rd slot, with the last one looking like a contest between Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham.  Wednesday have a 2-point lead for that spot right now.  Five matches to go there.

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on April 08, 2017, 05:18:13 pm
Any other year than the last two, Spurs would be on cruise control toward an EPL championship.  Denied last year by that magical Leicester City run, probably denied this year by an excellent Chelsea team.

Also, we now know maybe the biggest reason LC won it last year:  N'Golo Kante.  Probably the best midfielder in the PL, and at the end of this season will probably have two PL championship medals.

Kante acquisition last year.

Lukaku or Alexis acquisition. Maybe even Neymar. We will happily take em :D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas