• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preview for the Upcoming Arkansas High School Track and Field Season

Started by AT, October 14, 2014, 09:03:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jvance

Thanks for the info but she will not be able to go to that meet. I wish we had known about that a week ago she would have been able to go. As of now looks like the Genoa Central teams will not go to state meet but my daughter will be going alone. Just have to make sure the coach gets her registered and we can handle the rest up there.

Hoophawg

jvance

Just heard that Prescott will host the 3A state track meet this year.

TrackGrad

Do High School's who have hosted the meets multiple times in the past, get an opportunity to make a bid before another school does?
Im asking on behalf of the 4A state site. It's at Heber Springs (again) this year, and it seems its either there or at Nashville.

Wolfpack68

Quote from: jvance on January 15, 2015, 07:25:36 pm
Prescott should win the 3A. Finished 2nd last year and lost maybe 2 kids.

~WPS~

Quote from: TrackGrad on January 15, 2015, 09:52:34 pm
Do High School's who have hosted the meets multiple times in the past, get an opportunity to make a bid before another school does?
Im asking on behalf of the 4A state site. It's at Heber Springs (again) this year, and it seems its either there or at Nashville.
Anybody can bid. The AAA gives it to who they think will host it best and bring in the most money. Nashville and Heber have been the only ones to bid for it the last 3 or 4 years in 4A. Nashville got it last year but had a light pole fall and moved to Heber. Nashville didn't bid this year, the reason is probably because of construction going on at the high school. Pocahontas had it once or twice a few years ago. Not many have the facilities for it and even less want to host due to the time and effort that goes into it.

ogar_hog

Quote from: TrackGrad on January 15, 2015, 09:52:34 pm

As Ballplayer said Nashville had it last year and the AAA moved it to Heber because of the light pole.  The year before no one bid on 4A so the AAA called Heber and asked them to host.  A lot goes into a state meet because of having to run prelims and field events during the day.  It takes many volunteers and I think some schools have trouble finding that many people willing to give up their day.  A few year back Pocahontas had it and their was flooding on their track and it was moved to Heber.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: jvance on January 08, 2015, 02:50:42 pm
Because the boys coach doesn't want to go. My daughter is for sure going colleges that are looking at her want to see some indoor times and jumps. She has not been able to go before because of basketball. She quit to focus solely on track for her senior year.
Sorry for not wanting to go but the meet is honestly pointless. It is never ran off well and takes forever. Which does not allow for good performances. I coached in college and I never even looked at an athletes indoor marks. So do not go throwing me under the bus for your daughter not going.
Just in case you did not know as well the 1A through 4A will be held on Friday starting at 6:30. Since the college team will not finish practice until 5:30 and no one can get in the facility until 6. It looks like the athletes will have plenty of time to warm up for that first event which will be hurdles. Since the 6:30 start time it will not finish until oh lets safely say 1am.
Another thing no one takes in to consideration is the money comes out of our budget and I would rather spend that money on something that will benefit all of the athletes.
Lastly there are now set standards to be able to enter the meet so you can not simply just take anyone or the whole team for that matter. 

~WPS~

I'll agree with that. It is a joke the way it's so poorly ran. No sense in it lasting so long.

jvance

The indoor meet used to start at 2 or 230. Where is it posted the time the 1a-4a starts? If it starts that late that will cut back on a lot of teams coming up to the meet. Especially from the south where we are from.

~WPS~

To my knowledge it starts at 3 with field events. The running doesn't start until 5:30 or 6 like usual. Also the field events are in a separate building now.

ogar_hog

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on January 19, 2015, 08:06:31 pm
To my knowledge it starts at 3 with field events. The running doesn't start until 5:30 or 6 like usual. Also the field events are in a separate building now.
Nope they (arkansas staff) aren't letting anyone in until 6pm.  Also in the past their staff has helped run off events...not this year.  Looks like Jonesboro may be a better alternative next year.

Hoophawg

~WPS~

Quote from: ogar_hog on January 19, 2015, 08:32:56 pm
Quote from: Ballplayer1 on January 19, 2015, 08:06:31 pm
Nope they (arkansas staff) aren't letting anyone in until 6pm.  Also in the past their staff has helped run off events...not this year.  Looks like Jonesboro may be a better alternative next year.

Wow. I hadn't heard that. I agree it's probably time for a move if there's no cooperation from UA.

ogar_hog

Hoophawg

Quote from: ogar_hog on January 20, 2015, 06:17:30 am
Quote from: Hoophawg on January 19, 2015, 09:08:24 pm
When does 7a start?
I believe 5-7A will run as usual on Saturday. 11 am I believe.
thank you.  Do you know if they do finals for field events?

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: Hoophawg on January 20, 2015, 08:32:21 am
Quote from: ogar_hog on January 20, 2015, 06:17:30 am
Quote from: Hoophawg on January 19, 2015, 09:08:24 pm
When does 7a start?
I believe 5-7A will run as usual on Saturday. 11 am I believe.
thank you.  Do you know if they do finals for field events?
From my understanding they will be doing finals for field events.

tdmaker

so is there a site that has information about the indoor meet?

jvance

My daughter talked to the coach this morning and dragontrackcoach is exactly correct. 1A-4A are getting screwed while 5A-7A will have all the help they need this is not fair at all. Because of this my daughter will now not be going and she is one of the top hurdlers in the state. Sad that the small schools get the raw deal.

Hoophawg

Quote from: jvance on January 20, 2015, 02:41:57 pm
My daughter talked to the coach this morning and dragontrackcoach is exactly correct. 1A-4A are getting screwed while 5A-7A will have all the help they need this is not fair at all. Because of this my daughter will now not be going and she is one of the top hurdlers in the state. Sad that the small schools get the raw deal.
why is she not going? Just go up there and compete

jvance

I have been to plenty of crappy run track meets and don't feel like having to deal with this one. Not worth the drive. Will try and find her an aau indoor somewhere.

DQLeopardTrackCoach

http://arktrackcoaches.wix.com/atca

Feb 7 will hurt many South teams because ACT is that day but there are no other options. We will not have a lot there because of that.

~WPS~

The late night meet on the 6th will cause kids to need to stay home for the ACT the next morning. I don't expect to see very many teams and athletes there. If that's the case then hopefully it will end earlier than expected.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on January 20, 2015, 05:22:29 pm
The late night meet on the 6th will cause kids to need to stay home for the ACT the next morning. I don't expect to see very many teams and athletes there. If that's the case then hopefully it will end earlier than expected.
I do not want to be taken out of context so let me explain to everyone where I am coming from on this indoor meet. I have nothing against the ATCA which is the organization that puts this meet on in fact they do the best they can with what they have.

I think the number one problem is that we do not have an indoor facility in a centralized location that we can use more than once a year. This state meet is great and having qualifying marks is the best idea yet. However most of our athletes go there and it is there first meet of the year unless they are a club pole vaulter or have access to an indoor facility somewhere.

The next problem is that we have all those classifications under one roof not good considering everyone is going to run the 60 and 60 hurdles. Most people are going to high jump, long jump, and triple jump.

Two years ago I took some athletes there and had them a warm up card for each of their events and how far out i thought they should start warming up. I was with our hurdlers during their warm up in the green room(the warm up area that no longer exists because it is a weight room now)  their heat was called to report to the track before they were finished warming up. It was one of my athletes first track meet ever. When their heat was called they went to the track and proceeded to wait in a line to run their race for one and a half hours. By this time they were very cold and not ready. They each got one start from the blocks and then started their race. The athlete that was his first meet was way to close to the first hurdle hit and crashed. This kid was and still is an exceptional athlete.

He was also a very good triple jumper, after general warm ups they called for the first flight, every one except 3 athletes were still high jumping. They proceeded to run off a flight of 3 and the same with all the other flights. I suggested to ask who was there and create new flights and I was told to mind my own business and leave the area. Once the high jumpers finished they were allowed to jump then my athlete who was in a later flight jumped over 2 hours later with very little warm up. Needless to say his experience of his first track meet was a nightmare.

I say all that to say this, he never ran another track meet in his life and never will. This kid was special and his view of track was ruined by this one meet so this is why I will never go back. The athlete I am talking about could have easily ran hurdles and triple jumped in college.

Sorry for the long rant its over now.

Hoophawg

Quote from: dragontrackcoach on January 21, 2015, 08:14:02 am
I do not want to be taken out of context so let me explain to everyone where I am coming from on this indoor meet. I have nothing against the ATCA which is the organization that puts this meet on in fact they do the best they can with what they have.

I think the number one problem is that we do not have an indoor facility in a centralized location that we can use more than once a year. This state meet is great and having qualifying marks is the best idea yet. However most of our athletes go there and it is there first meet of the year unless they are a club pole vaulter or have access to an indoor facility somewhere.

The next problem is that we have all those classifications under one roof not good considering everyone is going to run the 60 and 60 hurdles. Most people are going to high jump, long jump, and triple jump.

Two years ago I took some athletes there and had them a warm up card for each of their events and how far out i thought they should start warming up. I was with our hurdlers during their warm up in the green room(the warm up area that no longer exists because it is a weight room now)  their heat was called to report to the track before they were finished warming up. It was one of my athletes first track meet ever. When their heat was called they went to the track and proceeded to wait in a line to run their race for one and a half hours. By this time they were very cold and not ready. They each got one start from the blocks and then started their race. The athlete that was his first meet was way to close to the first hurdle hit and crashed. This kid was and still is an exceptional athlete.

He was also a very good triple jumper, after general warm ups they called for the first flight, every one except 3 athletes were still high jumping. They proceeded to run off a flight of 3 and the same with all the other flights. I suggested to ask who was there and create new flights and I was told to mind my own business and leave the area. Once the high jumpers finished they were allowed to jump then my athlete who was in a later flight jumped over 2 hours later with very little warm up. Needless to say his experience of his first track meet was a nightmare.

I say all that to say this, he never ran another track meet in his life and never will. This kid was special and his view of track was ruined by this one meet so this is why I will never go back. The athlete I am talking about could have easily ran hurdles and triple jumped in college.

[/quote well that's the kids fault if he's gonna let one meet make him not want to compete.  Gotta be a little more mentally tougher than that

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: Hoophawg on January 21, 2015, 08:35:34 am
Quote from: dragontrackcoach on January 21, 2015, 08:14:02 am

[/quote well that's the kids fault if he's gonna let one meet make him not want to compete.  Gotta be a little more mentally tougher than that

I agree with you on that. Hoophawg. Unfortunately kids are a lot different than even 10 years ago. Am I right?

Hoophawg

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: Wolfpack68 on January 15, 2015, 10:00:19 pm
Quote from: jvance on January 15, 2015, 07:25:36 pm
Prescott should win the 3A. Finished 2nd last year and lost maybe 2 kids.

Wolfpack68
I agree with you they will be very tough to beat this year. There is a lot coming back and the depth in numbers and across each event is unheard of in 3A track. I look for them to take it this year. Would be sweet to win it at home as well.

TrackGrad

Just looked on the AAA website, and can someone tell me why Waldron is having two High School Meets two days within each other? April 14, and April 16. It seems weird for one high school to do two High School level meets that close to one another.

~WPS~

AT

I don't know if it's Waldron but there is one school that does a boys only meet an then a girls only meet. I can't recall who it is, but it may be Waldron

RATTLER43

It is Waldron.  Boys first then Gaile Hainley Relays for girls two days later.  We love it. 

jvance

Found tonight that dragontrackcoach is correct in the start time of the 1a-4a meet Feb. 6. The field events starts @ 630 so it will be a very late night for all that attend.

TrackGrad

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 21, 2015, 07:38:18 pm
I don't know if it's Waldron but there is one school that does a boys only meet an then a girls only meet. I can't recall who it is, but it may be Waldron

Is there any benefit to doing something like this?

MHSGrad

http://www.viloniaschools.org/around-vtown/post/3292

Congrats to, what I can tell, is a great guy. A lot of coaches out there are great coaches, but terrible people. This guy's reputation is astounding and well deserved. Again, congrats!

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: MHSGrad on January 22, 2015, 11:24:19 pm
http://www.viloniaschools.org/around-vtown/post/3292

Congrats to, what I can tell, is a great guy. A lot of coaches out there are great coaches, but terrible people. This guy's reputation is astounding and we'll deserved. Again, congrats!
There is no doubt about it!!! Coach Stout is a great coach and an even better person!!! Congrats to him and Vilonia!!!

DQLeopardTrackCoach

Coach Stout has done a great job at Vilonia and everywhere he has been. He deserves this award no doubt.

tdmaker

Who is favorites to win indoor boys 1a-4a?  Heber back full strength?  Crossett? With it being so late I guess it depends on who can show up full strength. 

tdmaker

MHSGrad

5A state is at Morrilton this year. How is their track? I love seeing different schools getting involved with hosting after it was only Paragould and Hot Springs for so many years. I'm thinking about hitting up 4A, 7A, and MOC this year, plus any local meets in the NWA area

jvance

Morrilton has a nice facility. They hosted 3A state last year.

jvance

Does anyone know when the athletes will be allowed to enter for the indoor Friday?

ogar_hog

Quote from: jvance on February 04, 2015, 04:54:22 pm
Does anyone know when the athletes will be allowed to enter for the indoor Friday?
What I've heard is when the Razorbacks finish practice or 6 pm, whichever comes first. 

jvance

That is what I have been told so the kids will not have much time to warm up before it starts.

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: ogar_hog on February 04, 2015, 08:54:26 pm
Quote from: jvance on February 04, 2015, 04:54:22 pm
What I've heard is when the Razorbacks finish practice or 6 pm, whichever comes first.
We were told at the ATCA meeting that no one will be allowed to enter until the building is cleared. They normally finish practice at about  5:30 or so then takes some time to clear out.

jvance

Where do you go to pay entry fee and get a bib for the indoor meet? My daughter is registered but going alone no team or coach just family.

sevenof400

Quote from: MHSGrad on January 30, 2015, 09:57:45 pm
5A state is at Morrilton this year. How is their track?

Quote from: jvance on January 30, 2015, 11:18:49 pm

The Morrilton upgrade was sorely needed to be sure and the upgraded track itself seemed to be of decent quality.  I do not recall what the surface is though...

The field event situation was a bit spotty as I recall as the high jump was contested in the corner of the track near the field house.  If running events were in progress, a good portion of the high jump approach was the corner of the track - at least this used to be the case.  A chain link fence (and a lack of surface) prevented the jump pit from moving any further away from the track. 

At least the shape of the track is correct though.....  ;D

Wolfpack68

Any favorites for Classifications? I got Prescott in 3A, Texarkana of course. And maybe Gurdon. Maybe...

dragontrackcoach

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 05, 2015, 08:43:35 pm
Quote from: MHSGrad on January 30, 2015, 09:57:45 pm
5A state is at Morrilton this year. How is their track?

Quote from: jvance on January 30, 2015, 11:18:49 pm

The Morrilton upgrade was sorely needed to be sure and the upgraded track itself seemed to be of decent quality.  I do not recall what the surface is though...

The field event situation was a bit spotty as I recall as the high jump was contested in the corner of the track near the field house.  If running events were in progress, a good portion of the high jump approach was the corner of the track - at least this used to be the case.  A chain link fence (and a lack of surface) prevented the jump pit from moving any further away from the track. 

At least the shape of the track is correct though.....  ;D
There High jump pit must have moved then it is now on the north end of the field. Some approaches if long enough went back to the pole vault runway, but not a big issue even at the state meet. The long and triple jump are side by side in to one big sand pit at the end of the track behind the 100 and 110 start lines. I really enjoyed this facility, it was athlete and coach friendly as well as new and updated.

SportsLover65

Quote from: Fanofsports on January 14, 2015, 04:57:47 pm
Quote from: jvance on January 07, 2015, 03:33:14 pm
This is his (John Murphy) second year. We just an awesome group of talented girls coming through right now. If everyone can stay healthy we should have a really big season. Trying to talk him into getting as many as can to go to the indoor state. I know my daughter is definitely going. Does anyone know the date if the indoor?
She could go to the Arkansas State High School invitational indoor meet this weekend if it isn't too late to sign up.  She can go unattached.  Sign up on www.directathletics.com. My son ran there last year when he found out his school would not go to the one for state in Arkansas and will be going again this year in preparation for the state meet as the school he attends now will be going.

Did your daughter go? If so how did she do??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas