• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Discus procedure question

Started by True Fan, March 29, 2013, 03:04:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Fan

After warm ups and the event starts, a participant is excused to run an event. Everyone else throws and the judge waits five or so minutes for the participant to return. Participant spend next several minutes changing shoes. Participants parents ask if some warm up throws are okay. Judge says sure. After a half dozen or so, the participant gets dialed in and throws a good one. Semi-jokingly asks if that one can be measured. Judge laughs and says no. Participant declares ready to throw and the judge watches the next three.

1. Is this acceptable procedure?

2. Is not, should a penalty apply?

3. Would this apply to other participants who had left to run events and desired more warmups when they returned?

RATTLER43

Did they allow warmups for participants of each flight before each flight began?
Would lack of warmup cause risk of injury?
Did this athlete get to warmup originally or check in and go to other event.  Invitationals have different dynamics than district and state meets.

True Fan

March 29, 2013, 08:53:11 pm #2 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:56:57 pm by True Fan
One flight of 20. Ran hurdles and seemed more focused with resting up than warming up. Warmed up with the others before it started. A different girl had to leave and run a 4x800 leg. She was up as soon as she returned and since it was underway, I seriously doubt she would have been able to have some warm ups.

RATTLER43

Difficult to answer.  20 straight throwers after one warmup session is disadvantageous the longer they go for the throwers.  If thrower gained advantage then it probably shouldn't have been allowed. But if officials allowed then no penalty should be assessed.  Personally I like warmup. Less risk of injury.  Should have been flighted. 

True Fan

Since the judge allowed it, I didn't really think that there could be a penalty. It just seemed like it was a; little over and above and gave an advantage.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas