• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Eagles

Started by GB1987, November 17, 2010, 11:46:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 23, 2010, 10:48:32 pm
If we are consistent, then this kind of consistency stinks

If you were running the spread in that town, with those kids, you'd be playoffless. Period. Year in and year out.

DeepCoverage

We basically are!

*YAWN*

Remember you called it back in week 2

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 23, 2010, 10:53:13 pm
Remember you called it back in week 2

Called that Batesville was shockingly good and would probably win it all. Yes.

3up3down

November 23, 2010, 11:03:33 pm #53 Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:06:12 pm by 3up3down
If you bring it to town they all start running it at an early age. The towns that run the spread learn it at a early age also. I never said run the spread, just run a offense that produces

I don't recall any Vilonia fans ever asking for a true spread offense

InYoGrill

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on November 23, 2010, 10:49:19 pm
Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 23, 2010, 10:48:32 pm
If we are consistent, then this kind of consistency stinks

If you were running the spread in that town, with those kids, you'd be playoffless. Period. Year in and year out.

" with those kids" ???? LOL, control the garbage spewing from your mouth Guru. Why do you say in our town it wouldn't work? It works for a lot of towns our size. Look at Lakeside. Down for many years and a smaller 5A school with mainly white kids. They brought in a brand new coach with a great philosophy and taught it the right way. Made the playoffs and played everyone real close. What qualifies a town to be able to run the  spread and be .500 or better???   Greenbrier is very similar to our type school and kids. Why is there O working in a pass O? They have a great qb like we had in Puckett a few years back where the spread worked cause Stanley threw that one and only one year.

DeepCoverage

Right on IYG!  This system has been here since 03 that is why we can't run the spread or out of the pistol. We have the kids to do it we just have to have the personnel to teach it.
I agree look at what Greenbrier and Conway have done, its great, its exciting. Vilonia play book is around 6 to 8 different plays

If we were to change our offense it would take a while to be good at it, but it would bring the fans out to watch and the kids out to play.

So let us begin now for the future football players of Vilonia

before we are down to 40 players every year

B.S.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but you need to go find you a "Coach Tribble" there are several out there in smaller classification schools that would come to Vilonia. You guys have one of the best facilities now in 5A, you are in a prime spot in the state, If Greenbrier can do it you can too.  I knew Greenbrier was only a good coach away from really busting out, and they have in a very short amount of time.  After hiring a coach like that get behind him, it has to be a total commitment on everyone's part, including all of the assistant coach's, administration, future, present, and former parents, the entire community.  Don't let anyone say Vilonia doesn't have the personnel to run X offense.  You start developing kids for what ever system you put in place from the time they are in the 3 and 4th grade up. 
First things first, get your guy, the right guy, and make that commitment.

Paw-Paw

Quote from: B.S. on November 24, 2010, 01:07:44 am
I know you guys don't want to hear this, but you need to go find you a "Coach Tribble" there are several out there in smaller classification schools that would come to Vilonia. You guys have one of the best facilities now in 5A, you are in a prime spot in the state, If Greenbrier can do it you can too.  I knew Greenbrier was only a good coach away from really busting out, and they have in a very short amount of time.  After hiring a coach like that get behind him, it has to be a total commitment on everyone's part, including all of the assistant coach's, administration, future, present, and former parents, the entire community.  Don't let anyone say Vilonia doesn't have the personnel to run X offense.  You start developing kids for what ever system you put in place from the time they are in the 3 and 4th grade up. 

Define Insanity? Doing the SAME THING Over and Over and Over Again, but expecting a different result. Vilonia does not need a personal change as much as it needs an offensive mindset being re-configured. If you want to compete you gotta E-V-O-L-V-E. Like that Gatorade commercial says "If you want a Revolution, you gotta evolve!" Vilonia is a good team, not great. If they get the personal and players to commit and the fans can be patient then look out. ;) 

InYoGrill

November 24, 2010, 08:06:45 am #58 Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:09:31 am by InYoGrill
Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 24, 2010, 01:16:02 am

Define Insanity? Doing the SAME THING Over and Over and Over Again, but expecting a different result. Vilonia does not need a personal change as much as it needs an offensive mindset being re-configured. If you want to compete you gotta E-V-O-L-V-E. Like that Gatorade commercial says "If you want a Revolution, you gotta evolve!" Vilonia is a good team, not great. If they get the personal and players to commit and the fans can be patient then look out. ;)

I like that PP- EVOLVE!  Even Nebraska and OU changed there systems from decades of ground and pound wishbone to more unpredictable O's. We all played backyard football through the years and that is some of my fondest memories of fun as a young kid. How many 5 on 5 or 10 on10 games do you remember it was predominately run plays? I'm not talking scrambles and stuff like that, I'm talking traps and dives and off tackles? Compared to slants, curls , hail mary's, posts, and so on. Really it was just get open wasn't it. But kids love to play pass and catch. Kids turn out for systems that run adnd throw. It does generate an excitement to go out and play like the high school team when there is fun and a chance to win conference or state. All I'm saying like the rest on here is if you want to challenge to be the best you can that you adapt to changes and make adjustments to give your team and kids a chance to win an compete. The games we lost this year to GW, Alma, GB, and Batesville were not pretty games for V. The Alma game was close in the 4Q but both games years before we were EMBARASSED by our style of play. We were 7-4 yes but most of those wins were against .500 or below teams. You can not be predictable all the time and be successful in the West and beyond the regular season. Unless we like the one in 10 years that it does work.

3up3down

November 24, 2010, 08:42:38 am #59 Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:54:56 am by 3up3down
If you put #6 in the pistol formation where he can see the field he will hit the receivers across the middle and screens to our backs
If you are correct IYG and if #6 plays they will need to change the offence.
You are correct he is accurate and will hit those passes so you have to get him out of the offense we run now, his speed and strength are no where close to Knowles
#6 can throw with accuracy and start a whole new offense, and Paw-Paw you are correct we do have a great offensive mind now in Coach Jordan we just don't use it

3up3down

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 18, 2010, 04:24:25 pm
Quote from: 3up3down on November 18, 2010, 04:19:06 pm
Kyle Wyatt

Unless a JR that did not play this year steps in and takes the spot

I sure did not see anything out of the 9th grade group

Are we forgetting #6 Henderson? My opinion from watching some jv games and what I heard from other players was that he has better accuracy than DK but obviously not the running of DK (which he was one of a kind).  If it is Wyatt great but he better GROW big time cause he is a little tiny guy.

No one is forgetting #6, but #6 is trying to forget about football right now. I personally know it is all about baseball at this time.

B.S.

Quote from: 3up3down on November 24, 2010, 09:19:13 am
Kyle Wyatt

Are we forgetting #6 Henderson? My opinion from watching some jv games and what I heard from other players was that he has better accuracy than DK but obviously not the running of DK (which he was one of a kind).  If it is Wyatt great but he better GROW big time cause he is a little tiny guy.

No one is forgetting #6, but #6 is trying to forget about football right now. I personally know it is all about baseball at this time.

We are still playing football and I am really looking forward to Baseball.  This might be our year!

pantherblue

Quote from: B.S. on November 24, 2010, 09:40:58 am
Kyle Wyatt

We are still playing football and I am really looking forward to Baseball.  This might be our year!

We are finished with football and I am looking forward to basketball... Get to see a couple of our great football players play roundball and beat up on folks on the hardwood...

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on November 24, 2010, 09:50:06 am
Quote from: B.S. on November 24, 2010, 09:40:58 am
Kyle Wyatt

We are finished with football and I am looking forward to basketball... Get to see a couple of our great football players play roundball and beat up on folks on the hardwood...

Take your blue belly and Greanbriar teather ball to another thread. This is THE V thread about football and adjusting to the game to be competitive.  ;D

pantherblue

I told you how a long time ago or at least a few weeks ago... LOL   Start a QB throwing in the 7th grade and bring him up throwing through HS not playing defense one year and QB the next...    8)

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on November 24, 2010, 10:48:26 am
I told you how a long time ago or at least a few weeks ago... LOL   Start a QB throwing in the 7th grade and bring him up throwing through HS not playing defense one year and QB the next...    8)

That's right you sure did didn't you. I tend to forget the things you say to me.   :P

pantherblue

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 24, 2010, 11:38:49 am

That's right you sure did didn't you. I tend to forget the things you say to me.   :P

Hey I need some 20 inch rims to fit a dakota truck... You have any laying around out there?

InYoGrill

Quote from: pantherblue on November 24, 2010, 11:51:00 am
Quote from: InYoGrill on November 24, 2010, 11:38:49 am

Hey I need some 20 inch rims to fit a dakota truck... You have any laying around out there?

They are all over the place here, lol! You can't get any, sorry buddy.

vtown22

i don't know if i agree with our offense being the only problem...first of all, everyone talks about hating the double wing and how that is the problem...didn't these kids win a lot in junior high running the same offense against bigger schools? vilonia doesn't even run this offense as a base anymore...they run the flex bone which is an option attack...i know that the double wing was also used as a short yardage offense...in the four games that vilonia lost, they only gave up less than 30 points one time and that was 28...i like the old philosophy of offense wins games, defense wins championships...as far as old offenses, the I is not exactly a whole new scheme...Batesville is winning and beat vilonia with the I....it wasn't some magical new scheme....Cabot is almost always competitive in 7A while running the dead T...i do however agree that a spread attack would have more people excited about the offense...maybe it would get more kids out, but how many kids are walking the halls that would actually help that aren't already out....i doubt there's many...even if this were to happen and vilonia was putting up 30 points a game, they still have to figure out how to stop others or the scores would be exciting losses

DeepCoverage

The wins in Jr. high, could it be the kids love playing for Coach Stout. My youngest son played for him and still stays in contact with him each day at school. This is a teacher/coach that got it all out of those kids because he is a motivator and treated them as equals

vtown22

i will give you that...i have heard that he and his staff work very well with the kids...I couldn't begin to argue with that

vtown22

that does go along with my point though...he won running the double wing didn't he?

InYoGrill

November 24, 2010, 04:27:11 pm #72 Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:35:13 pm by InYoGrill
First off, excellent person, leader, motivator, and coach. Everyone LOVES Coach Stout, Stevens, and Craun.
Second, V won and won only from two classes that had the talent and desire to be the best they could and
they were. Those were the SR's 9-1 9th grade and the JR's 9-1 9th grade. Now those records may be off just a hair. But
I know for sure that both played for the North title and lost to GB both times. My son is a SR. My point here is
with any great class you will win a fair share of games whether the system stinks or not. JR high's typically don't
get too sophisticated with their O's. Some do pass more than others but the schemes and playbooks are no
where near SR high ball. Yes you can win with the Double Wing but it takes a staff that can game plan each week and mix in
different stuff so the opposing team doesn't know almost every time what 3 plays to one side or the other
that is called. You have to out smart the other team along with execution from practicing. If we threw some balls
and alternated run and throw on different downs then we would be more able to have the element of surprise and
hence gain more yardage and big plays. What you had this year for the most part was the scoring of Drew Knowles
on those legs and his toughness. He set up the other nice plays by Lewis and some others. This has hit a boiling
point because we all know we should have been better prepared to call plays and execute what we practice.
So two back to back SUPERIOR JR high 9th grade teams that V has not seen in many moons has departed half of that
great group of young men. A deep run was expected this year and it didn't happen because of play calling!

InYoGrill

All  my V brothers I'm letting it all come out. ;D

Go Eagles!

3up3down

Coach Stout

Mentor  Motivator  Teacher  Coach  Friend

Yes he ran the same O as the High school, but like DeepCoverage mentioned he got everything he could out of those kids because he never gave up on them so they never gave up on him and his staff

I believe our kids were as displeased as most of the Vilonia fans were after the Greenwood game this year

3up3down

you beat me to the punch IYG

Keep it going man, your son was a senior this year and I know how disappointed you were with the season
Go man!

3up3down

The 2012 graduating class threw the ball more when they were 9th graders than the High School did all this year

InYoGrill

Where is Yellow Hammer, R4L, RTR....?

A lot of these guys had great young men on the team as well.

Go Eagles! Fight, Fight, Fight!! Never give up!!!

vtown22

lol..IYG make it rain man!! I do agree with you...I expected a deep run as well...I hate that your son had to graduate with such a disappointing end...I agree that with good athletes AND good coaching, any scheme can be successful....My hope is that when the games are all over, these young men have learned life lessons through their years in Vilonia Eagles Football

3up3down

Hammer & RTR are still in Baton Rouge still talking with the Mad Hatter about our clock management

SingleWingGuru

The Eagles:

1.  In the middle of the classification in enrollment.

2.  Made only one "postseason run" prior to Stanley, IN 1984!

3.  Only lost 4 games, three of which were to the best teams in the classification.

4.  Has been in the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years.

5.  Has more playoff appearances under Stanley than every other coach in the history of Vilonia Football, COMBINED.

6.  Vilonia averages 32 OFFENSIVE POINTS PER GAME.  Oh, man, sounds like they need to change the offense!

vtown22

maybe this disappointment will bring everyone back hungrier than ever....big things to come next year!!

3up3down

Thanks SWG

And can't win the big ones!

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: 3up3down on November 24, 2010, 04:52:49 pm
---can't win the big ones!

Winning anything is a change from the heritage of this program.  What Stanley is doing there is knocking on the door, banging on the door, demanding in.  One year the door will come crashing down.

3up3down

He is the one person that is keeping the door from opening up.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: 3up3down on November 24, 2010, 05:34:55 pm

Vilonia was bad for their entire existence before him.  If you think for a second he's not one of the principal reasons they are having ANY success right now, you are crazy.

sevenof400

Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 24, 2010, 04:06:13 pm
The wins in Jr. high, could it be the kids love playing for Coach Stout. My youngest son played for him and still stays in contact with him each day at school. This is a teacher/coach that got it all out of those kids because he is a motivator and treated them as equals..

Spot on DeepCoverage. 

DeepCoverage

I will take the title of crazy

If you think this is success, then you're crazy

InYoGrill

Quote from: vtown22 on November 24, 2010, 04:43:25 pm
lol..IYG make it rain man!! I do agree with you...I expected a deep run as well...I hate that your son had to graduate with such a disappointing end...I agree that with good athletes AND good coaching, any scheme can be successful....My hope is that when the games are all over, these young men have learned life lessons through their years in Vilonia Eagles Football

vtown22, nice post.

B.S.

You are missing my point. It is not just a coaching change it is a total commitment level change. If everyone is behind it, it will work.

DeepCoverage

If they bring it we will back it

sevenof400

While no town is perfect, Vilonia does seem to suffer from a lack of success in many sports - not just football.  Not trying to be too philosophical here but Vilonia seems to do many things not very well. 

With the exception of girls basketball and bowling, Vilonia seems to struggle in just about every other sport.  Others have already mentioned that Vilonia is on the middle of the 5A attendance wise so it shouldn't be a case of too few student athletes.....  not that there cannot be improvement by the athletes (there's always room for that) but what of the coaches and the administration? 

Does Vilonia have a useful and functional youth sports system?  I'm sure there are some youth sport programs there but are they functioning in such a way that develops players for their high school teams?  At the same time, are the Vilonia coaches working with and playing an active part in the youth sport systems?  Introducing your coaching philosophies to athletes as early as possible would seem to be a step toward building a program.  From what has been discussed on this board previously, it might seem like an examination and duplication of how the girls basketball program is run would be a good place to start.  That program has certainly been successful - why not attempt to replicate that model in other programs?

Now it would be easy to point a finger at an administration that allowed thousands of dollars to be stolen from under their very noses as the sole source of this problem but not all of the blame can be laid at the feet of administration.  However, if administration is serious about improving the state of things in Vilonia, they should be the leading force in starting efforts to review the entire athletic program with a goal of improvement (not finger pointing).   

I don't have the answers to any of these questions but it seems logical that if Vilonia wants to improve these are questions someone should be asking.....and answering. 

vtown22

I know that it is not traditionally thought of as a team sport but they finished third in track last year and are thought to have a chance of winning it this year

Coach D

sevenof400 ---------- Great post +1

InYoGrill

Another great opinion 7of400. I believe what you are saying gets more to the root of V athletics. Everyone is accountable.

Lifer

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on November 24, 2010, 05:38:54 pm
Quote from: 3up3down on November 24, 2010, 05:34:55 pm

Vilonia was bad for their entire existence before him.  If you think for a second he's not one of the principal reasons they are having ANY success right now, you are crazy.
How long have you kept up with vilonia football... You know there was some good football played under Bangs. Maybe not the playoff  berth but they only took two teams back then. I know that his 89-93 teams were 32-12 with two playoff wins. I know its not much But to say bad for their entire existence is flat out WRONG.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Lifer on November 24, 2010, 10:14:58 pm
flat out WRONG.

Vilonia has only won their conference once, in the history of the program.

33-12 or whatever, in that era, playing nonconference teams with less than 100 students, is hardly impressive.

InYoGrill

Quote from: vtown22 on November 24, 2010, 07:22:15 pm
I know that it is not traditionally thought of as a team sport but they finished third in track last year and are thought to have a chance of winning it this year

Yes, you are right about the track team having a great chance to win state. Again, we are loaded in all events with a lot of those points going  to come from those athletic football players. The team is simply loaded and is coached by Coach Stout!! They will be prepared and motivated to do their best. Good luck this season Eagles!

Lifer

Well its not Bad. Just saying that you really dont know what your taking about with that statemint of yours. Hay I a Stanly fan

InYoGrill

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on November 24, 2010, 10:17:30 pm
Quote from: Lifer on November 24, 2010, 10:14:58 pm
flat out WRONG.

Vilonia has only won their conference once, in the history of the program.

33-12 or whatever, in that era, playing nonconference teams with less than 100 students, is hardly impressive.

33-12 or whatever? That is still a very good record in any league whether playing in 1893 or playing grandma's bingo club.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas