• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Track

Started by FilmCrew, October 05, 2009, 03:24:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

InYoGrill

Alma sounds really tough. Don't count out Vilonia. We got a really good team as well.

RATTLER43

InYoGrill

December 02, 2009, 12:38:05 pm #102 Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:33:25 am by InYoGrill
Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 01, 2009, 08:03:48 pm
Tell us what you got.

It doens't hurt to have the best long distance guy in the 5A with JR Zac Bowling, great 800 in SR Hawkins, Shot and discus with Sr Hughes, and sprint champ in Soph James Sax. Several others that will add points.

AB™

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 01, 2009, 07:54:51 pm
Alma sounds really tough. Don't count out Vilonia. We got a really good team as well.

I seem to recall Vilonia thinking last year was finally going to be their year to beat Alma and then Alma went on to a 70+ point win.  ;)

Alma is going to be as deep as ever but I do expect a closer district meet this year.

RATTLER43

Wow. This sounds like it could shape up to be a good conference meet. I will be watching intently all season as results come in.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 02, 2009, 04:53:56 pm
Wow. This sounds like it could shape up to be a good conference meet. I will be watching intently all season as results come in.

I'm not a track expert but the 5A West is by far the best conference in 5A isn't it? Just asking not making a statement, yet. Seems like Harrison, Alma, Siloam are always mentioned as placing hign each year.

AB™

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 02, 2009, 09:32:23 pm
Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 02, 2009, 04:53:56 pm

I'm not a track expert but the 5A West is by far the best conference in 5A isn't it?

Ummm...no.  I mean our top 2 the last few years have been good, but after Alma and Vilonia, the rest of the classification is pretty bad.  No one other than Alma and Vilonia placed in the top 20 last year at state.  Siloam is only good in the long distance events, as is Harrison, and then everyone else may not even score a point at state.  If they do, then no more than 1-4 points.

InYoGrill

Thanks for the clarification, AB. I will be posting quite a bit on this thread about V track. My son is a JR and just finished football. He will primarily run the 400 and relay. Notsure how well he will do. Depends on how hard he dedicates himself. Cool to see Alma and V as the main attraction this year. Good luck until we face off against each other.

BTW: Another reason for our optimism is our new head track coach Michael Stout. He is the JR high football coach but has coached both sports for many years in southern AR. He has a great reputation for working the kids to the max and EVERYONE loves him and they will give extra just for him as coach. I'm excited!!!

RATTLER43

I think he was the coach at Stamps(Lafayette Co.) when they won three straight Class AA titles. They were good at all events not just sprints and jumps. They even challenged us in the 4x800m. If your kids buy in they will become very good.

RATTLER43

We just got finished with triple cut downs in our distance-running practice. Wow. Guys are working so hard. Girls did speed work and weightroom workout. Loving it.

InYoGrill

Rattler, what team do you represent? Yes, that is the Michael Stout that is at V.

RATTLER43

We are a class AA school called Magazine. We are located between Russ-vegas and Ft. Smith. We compete at about 6 meets a year with Alma. Same locale. We competed at Vilonia back in early 2000s. You will see my posts regularly all season long as T&F and CC are my passions. I love all sports but these are my favorites.

RATTLER43

We're a pretty good AA team. Returning lettermen from last year's team with personal bests:
J Williams 49'2" shot, 146'7" discus
D Aydelott 124'2" discus
D Kohler 11' pole vault  17.1 HH, 43.1 300mH
R Chambers 10'8" pole vault, 19'9" long jump

9:01 4x800m
L Yang 17.1 HH
J Dority 11.5 100m, C Yang 11.6 (all times are FAT)
T Williams 4:54 1600m
4x100m 45.9
400m C Yang 52.9
T Williams 2:08
J Dority and C Yang 24.1 200m
T Williams 10:58 3200m J Thao 11:24 C Yang 11:27
3:37 4x400m

We can compete. Hardest workers you have ever seen.

RATTLER43

J Williams, Aydelott, Kohler, A Moua, J McElroy, Evans, Thao are seniors.
T Williams, L Yang, C Yang, Chadwick, J Moua, Dobson, Chu Yang are juniors.
Dority, R Chambers, C Chambers, S McElroy, B Moua, Makamson, and S Moua are sophomores.
Great mix and great leadership.

RATTLER43

We are a year faster, stronger, and better than those personal bests from last year. I think we will be decent this year. Can't wait to get a few meets under our belts. Love this forum but we have to get it done on the track. This is all talk and on paper.

InYoGrill

Wow, you guys got something good going over there. I'll try to get some numbers to post from V when I start going to some of the meets. I like all sports to. It just seems when you have a personal interest like a child competing that it brings  a lot of interest in some people out like me. If my boys played golf  or bowling I would be going to everything i could and posting about it.

AB™

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 04, 2009, 07:37:03 am
Wow, you guys got something good going over there. I'll try to get some numbers to post from V when I start going to some of the meets. I like all sports to. It just seems when you have a personal interest like a child competing that it brings  a lot of interest in some people out like me. If my boys played golf  or bowling I would be going to everything i could and posting about it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your son's name and what event(s) does he run?  My brother runs for Alma so there's a very good chance they have come into contact with each other if your son has ran track the last year or two.  Alma and Vilonia are pretty big "rivals" since they are the only two schools worth anything and get pretty intense at the district meet.  But my brother said most of the Vilonia kids he's talked to at various meets are all pretty cool and nice.  I don't think there is any real hatred amongst the two schools when it comes to track and field. 

And I'm like you, before my brother started running two years ago I didn't have a ton of interest in T&F.  My senior year we had a really good team and won state so I went to some meets that year (including the state meet) and enjoyed them but not nearly as much as I have the last two years since he started running.  It helps that he's pretty good.  He may "only" be the 3rd best 800m runner in the conference but that translates into possibly being the 3rd best 800m runner in the entire state (5A only).  Last year he was running some of his splits in the 4x800 in the high 2:02's and has placed top 8 at state in the 800m the last two years.  He's gunning for a 2:00 flat this year.  Alma has another kid who ran a 1:59 last year at the MoC so we'll be very strong in that event once again.

InYoGrill

December 04, 2009, 01:53:33 pm #117 Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:12:16 pm by InYoGrill
Hey AB, this might sound a little silly but my son would be so embarrassed if I mentioned his name on this track thread, only because he doesn't think he is that good. He only ran in a late meet last year because he was in PT for his slight back injury from football a couple months before. Thats why I'm sure your brother wouldn't know him. I tell you what if he gets in the rotation early on then I will tell you. I don't mind just a son deal. If he runs in meets it will probably be in the 400 and 1600 relay. He's quick in 40 times but hasn't practiced the 100 or much in long distance. His body would be good in 400/800 range and maybe long jump. Just my opinion.

AB™

I didn't think you'd be embarrsased.  Some people just don't like releasing the name of a family member on the board.  There's no reason to be embarrassed.  I'm sure if your son is naturally fast and a natural athlete, then the proper coaching will help him out enough to get in the rotation.  What grade is he in?

RATTLER43

I have two daughters who compete but I coach the sport and have for over 20 years. I've been passionate long before the girls began. But, yes, they bring so much more enjoyment. My younger daughter scored a perfect 60 points as a 7th grader at Dardanelle last year as the high point individual. My older daughter has placed as a 9th and 10th grader at state the past two seasons. She is a little thing that is a thrower but her technique is impeccable. Yes, I am a homer and biased when it comes to my teams. But track stats seldom lie now that we have FAT.

I hope to see each of you at the Airedale Relays this year.

InYoGrill

Quote from: AB™ on December 04, 2009, 03:01:41 pm
I didn't think you'd be embarrsased.  Some people just don't like releasing the name of a family member on the board.  There's no reason to be embarrassed.  I'm sure if your son is naturally fast and a natural athlete, then the proper coaching will help him out enough to get in the rotation.  What grade is he in?

AB, he's a JR. I really think if he buys into Coach Stouts 1st year program that he could help the team. I met a young man at drill (Ft Smith) today possibly looking to get in my unit and he is either a JR or SR on the Alma track team. I will ask my recruiter tomorrow what his name was. I talked to him for 5 minutes and forgot his name. He seemed to be a really good kid.

RATTLER43

Most of the Alma kids are. Coach Mac, I figure, demands it. If not, I know he models it.

There is an indoor meet January 10th. That is soon!!!!

RATTLER43

After watching Junction City last night, I knowthey will be good this spring. Speed and power everywhere on the field. Byron Jones is powerful. 50+ in shot; Allen Turner is a speed demon.

FilmCrew

Where is the indoor meet on the 10TH at?

RATTLER43

Fayetteville. It is listed on the Razorback web site.

RATTLER43

It will be loaded with elite athletes from southern states. I do not take my entire team. Just a few.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 03, 2009, 11:37:43 pm
J Williams, Aydelott, Kohler, A Moua, J McElroy, Evans, Thao are seniors.
T Williams, L Yang, C Yang, Chadwick, J Moua, Dobson, Chu Yang are juniors.
Dority, R Chambers, C Chambers, S McElroy, B Moua, Makamson, and S Moua are sophomores.
Great mix and great leadership.

Rattler, looks like you got a lot of family members on the team. I noticed several of the same last names on your team roster. Must run good in their blood.

RATTLER43

December 13, 2009, 09:16:21 pm #127 Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:23:20 pm by RATTLER43
More than you know.
Long Yang, Chang Yang, Churxa Yang, Fue Yang, Billy Yang
Joseph Thao(cousin to Yangs and Mouas)
Andy Moua, Jay Moua, Bobby Moua, Sonny Moua, Charlie Moua
Dakota Kohler, Lucas Kohler
Jericho McElroy, Skyler McElroy
Travis Williams, Jon Williams, Justin Williams
Ryan Chambers, Cory Chambers
Phillip Dobson, Matt Dobson(cousins of the Bryans)
Courtney Bryan, Cari Bryan, Brittney Bryan, Heather Bryan
Samantha Catlett, Ashley Catlett(first cousins to the Bryans)
Katy Carter and Tierra Phillips(sisters)
Shelby Gordon (cousin of Bryan girls)

... and none of us has married a cousin....   ;D

Apologies to any relatives left off the list.

InYoGrill

LOL! Good blood runs through Magazine.

RATTLER43

Yes, it does.

My two-milers are really looking good. Actually, they are almost all looking great. Hope we keep the momentum and remain injury-free. Could be a great season. Wow. The anticipation is great. Can't wait to get to a meet to see where we are.

AB™

My brother has been coming home every day very sore and tired.  He said McMurray's got them doing a new workout.  I dono't know what kind of workout or what's new about it, but it has to be good if McMurray decided to use it.

RATTLER43

Yes, ours are tired and sore as well. Now is the time. Long runs on Monday, 1,000s on Tuesday, Romanian drills on Wednesday, cut-downs on Thursdays, run-outs on Fridays, long runs on Saturday, rest on Sunday. Weightroom 5 days a week as well. Kids are getting after it!

AB™

Same here!  I guess anyway. I know mosy days my brother is coming home, taking a shower, and then getting in his bed and napping.

RATTLER43

Sounds great. Got to get it done in Fall and winter because once competition begins you work toward peaking and polishing more and more each week. This is the time to really put in the hardest work. My kids are eating it up.

In our timed runs once a week we chart progression. The 32oom mark is a good place to guage improvement. Travis, over the last three weeks, has timed 11:19, 11:09, 11:00 during his 30 minute runs; Joseph 11:47, 11:29, 11:19; and Churxa 11:39, 11:27, and 11:19. You can just see the progress.

I plan 2:10 runs over the next 8 weeks.

RATTLER43

I need all three in the 10s. Got to find points wherever you can.

RATTLER43

Changing the subject a little. Will Alma be attending the Arkansas High school invitational on the second saturday in January?

AB™

Well it looks like they are already making considerable improvements.  It looks like Travis will definitely get down into the 10s and the other two seem to be showing the improvement neccessary to get down into the high 10s as well.  Joseph has already knocked off 30 seconds off his first timed run 3 weeks ago, so whatever you have them doing is working.

As for Alma being in that meet, right now I don't know for sure.  I haven't even asked.  Is it in Fayetteville?  They were in two different indoor meets last year in Fayetteville, so if I had a guess then I would say yes, the will be at that meet.  However, going off what they usually take to indoor meets, Alma won't even have half their team at that meet.

RATTLER43

Yes, the improvement is evident.

Yes, it is in Fayetteville. I think the collegiate athletes compete on Friday and High school on Saturday.

Typically, Alma is powerful in a number of indoor events. They just do not have the same depth as they have in outdoor. The throwers are always great and pole vaulters do well. Mid-distances are strong as well. There are no classification divisions at the early meets and state meets are divided into two classifications:  5A/6A/7A and 1A/2A/3A/4A.  It is fun but really is a spring board to outdoor for most schools.

InYoGrill

Man, you guys are making me tired from all these running times and distances. Just a side note, I don't think of myself as a runner. I'm a squatty 5ft8 and 185 pd guy that is built more for fball than running but I was challenged to run with 2 of my gym buddies and we ran 6.2 miles today around V. I kinda enjoyed it after I got my lungs right. Not trying to brag,well maybe alittle, but I had a good time.

AB™

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 16, 2009, 09:54:35 pm
Yes, the improvement is evident.

Yes, it is in Fayetteville. I think the collegiate athletes compete on Friday and High school on Saturday.

Typically, Alma is powerful in a number of indoor events. They just do not have the same depth as they have in outdoor. The throwers are always great and pole vaulters do well. Mid-distances are strong as well. There are no classification divisions at the early meets and state meets are divided into two classifications:  5A/6A/7A and 1A/2A/3A/4A.  It is fun but really is a spring board to outdoor for most schools.

Well, from what I understood (via my brother) it may just be my brother and Montoya at the first indoor meet.  (As far as runners.  There may be some field event guys come as well.)  I think coach Mac is wanting my brother and Montoya to get some early work in in some events they may not usually run, i.e. 400, 1600, 3200.  Me being related to him may make this seem bias, but my brother and Montoya are going to be Alma's two most important runners this year.  Not only are they going to rely on them in the 800 (both should place top 4 at state in that event) but Montoya may run the 400 full time this year (for the first time) and my brother may be relied on as our best miler. 

I do plan on being at this particular indoor meet though.  I'm already getting excited for it!

RATTLER43

If you ran over 6 miles that day you can brag. Distance runners really sacrifice. They are a different breed. Gotta love 'em.

Ran cut downs again today:
Travis 10:31
Joseph 11:06
Churxa 11:11
Sonny 12:20

My 400m runners did not run well today. But, they worked hard all week.

We, like Alma, will be competing in precious few events at this first meet. 4x800m and 1600m may be the only ones.

Montoya will be great in the 400m. What is your brother's PR in the 1600m?

AB™

Yeah, Montoya probably could've been our best 400 runner last year.  He's great in the first 400 of an 800.  My brother has only ran the mile once in his two years, hasn't ever really trained for it (until this year) but he ran a 5:09 last year.  I think he'll be a 4:40-4:55 guy most of the year.  He's been working his butt off all off-season long because he knew he was going to be running the mile along with the 800 and 4x8 this year.

RATTLER43

Yes, I've thought Montoya would be great at the 400m. Your brother will love that combo. Much rest between those events at the state level. Will he attempt the 3200m?

I may have my guys run with him in 1600m this season when we are meets together. He may be faster but he can set the pace for them early.

We have focused on longer distances. Will work on speed later on more and more.

RATTLER43

My sprinters/hurdlers and field events guys will get rolling now. Weightlifting has been the order of the day for weeks. It will continue but we will get into more conditioning and Romanian drills in January. Gettin' close!

AB™

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 17, 2009, 08:37:33 pm
Yes, I've thought Montoya would be great at the 400m. Your brother will love that combo. Much rest between those events at the state level. Will he attempt the 3200m?

I may have my guys run with him in 1600m this season when we are meets together. He may be faster but he can set the pace for them early.

We have focused on longer distances. Will work on speed later on more and more.

Heh.  I don't know if he's any better than your kids in the 1600.  If you really want to set a bar for your kids to reach for and be pushed in an event, then I'd put them in the 800m.  Montoya may be the best 800 runner in the state and my brother is probably in the top 5 (all classifications) and he is top 5 in 5A.  My brother hasn't ever run the mile.  He may not come around into true mile shape and form until the conference meet.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 17, 2009, 08:42:46 pm
My sprinters/hurdlers and field events guys will get rolling now. Weightlifting has been the order of the day for weeks. It will continue but we will get into more conditioning and Romanian drills in January. Gettin' close!

A little new with the track lingo but what are Romanian drills? It sounds tough.

RATTLER43

A series of sprint drills including: buttkicks, high knees, extended strides, bounds, skips, dipsey-doodles, progressives, sprints. We do them at various lengths:  40 yards, 60 yards, 100 yards;  we also do 240 meter progressives and sprints as part of our Romanian drills. There are more. These are the ones that I use that have been successful and seem to work the muscle groups that I am wanting effected. We typically do 10 sets of each at the shorter distances. Once we push it out to 100m or beyond we only do 4 sets. The day after Romanian drills my guys have sore hamstrings. The distance days push the calves.

RATTLER43

Travis hopes to be low 2s(2 flat to 2:04 as personal goals) by state. I just want him prequalified early. He is a true distance runner and gets stronger the longer the run. I think he will be a great collegiate runner in 8K and 10K.  He will run hard but as of now cannot hang with your bro or Montoya.

He will also most likely end up in the 4:40s in 1600m.

RATTLER43

We use Alma throwers and mid-distance runners as our rubric. They set the bar each year. I will try to get Travis to go with your two to try and get prequalified in the 800m as well.

Vilonia, we have not attended a meet there in 8 or 9 years. Would love to return.

RATTLER43

Do you know Corey Oxford who is now at Mulberry? He was formerly from Alma. He is Travis' main competition in our classification.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas