• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 XC

Started by The Infidel, July 27, 2010, 10:52:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Infidel

Des Arc has started XC training in earnest. We have the largest group we've ever had with 30 runners signed up. How is practice going for everyone else?

AT

Alma will be starting practice in about 2 days so I'm not sure how many runners are coming out exactly. We had around 30 last year, though.

My predictions for 5A are...

1. Siloam Springs - They return many of their top runners from last year's state championships team. I think they will be the big favorite unless their runners don't come back out or get injured.

2. Vilonia - They return many of their top runners from their runner up team including the individual champion (Zach Bowling) . I think they only lost one person out of their top 5. Maybe they could upset Siloam.

3. Greene County Tech - Many young runners on their 3rd place team last year. Maybe they will be the ones to upend the West Supremacy in 5A.

4. Lakeside - They had a VERY young team last year. I think they had like 2 or 3 9th graders running on their 6th place team.

5. Paragould - They return alot of runners from their 4th place team last year, but I think they lose one senior which is why I put them below Lakeside.

Other contenders: Greenwood, Harrison, and Alma

I'm really looking forward to watching some meets this year and see some good running!

RATTLER43

Soooooooo ready for the season to begin. Kids are working so hard. We plan to begin at Shiloh this season. Our jr. girls have won 19 of last 21 meets. Sr. Girls finished up strong last season. Hoping to make a big splash at state this season. Boys teams hoping to pick up where we left off and finish some unfinished business. Early predictions for Class 2A:
Boys
1. Magazine- I am a homer with talented group returning 4 of top 5 runners from top 3 finish last season.
2. Trinity Christian- loaded with speed.
3. Caddo Hills- mirror image of Magazine.
4. Conway Christian- Beckman could lead the charge.
5. Eureka Springs- has talent to return to championship form of the past.

Girls-
1. Magazine- hinges on return of Carter.
2. Acorn- traditional power makes another run.
3. Trinity Christian- loaded.
4. Des Arc- young and hungry.
5. GFW- trying to get on trophy stand.

These teams are so close we could have a title decided by a 6 this year. Saw it happen with Pottsville and Acorn one year.

AT

Good luck to you this year Rattler...I'll be rooting for Magazine in 2A for XC and track.

Y'all always did well at Alma track meets and didn't back down from competition.

Anyways, I know this is probably intended for high school XC but I think it would be cool if we talked about Razorback XC too...

I was looking at the results of the SEC Championships last year where Arkansas lost to Alabama by a slim margin...and it looks like Arkansas should be a BIG favorite this year since Alabama lost I think 3 runners in their top 5 and the Razorbacks lost no one...

I think if Bucknam can't win an SEC XC championship this year, I'm about ready to give up on him. Hopefully we place high (or win) at Nationals, also.

NWARKsports

Sort of a random question, but is HS CC the only sport that decides their All Star team based only on how well one does at State Championships?  Moreover, a runner could place top 10 in every single race throughout the regular season and have one poor performance at State and not be selected to the All Star team???

The Infidel

Yes. Only the top 10% at the state championship meet qualify.

AT

Quote from: NWARKsports on July 29, 2010, 07:42:11 am
Sort of a random question, but is HS CC the only sport that decides their All Star team based only on how well one does at State Championships?  Moreover, a runner could place top 10 in every single race throughout the regular season and have one poor performance at State and not be selected to the All Star team???

Track and Field does too. Only the top 2 from each event in each classification get All-State

RATTLER43

Quote from: NWARKsports on July 29, 2010, 07:42:11 am

Actually, those are the ways that All State are determined. The state All Star team is chosen by the All Star coaches. The top runner from each classification is automatically invited along with the next 18 best times at the state CC meets combined. If any choose not to go then the All star coaches choose alternates. Hope one of our replies answered your question.

RATTLER43

Quote from: Almatrackster on July 29, 2010, 12:55:34 am
Good luck to you this year Rattler...I'll be rooting for Magazine in 2A for XC and track.

Y'all always did well at Alma track meets and didn't back down from competition.

Anyways, I know this is probably intended for high school XC but I think it would be cool if we talked about Razorback XC too...

I was looking at the results of the SEC Championships last year where Arkansas lost to Alabama by a slim margin...and it looks like Arkansas should be a BIG favorite this year since Alabama lost I think 3 runners in their top 5 and the Razorbacks lost no one...

I think if Bucknam can't win an SEC XC championship this year, I'm about ready to give up on him. Hopefully we place high (or win) at Nationals, also.

Thanks. We always cheer for you guys as well. We love being invited by Coach Mac. Competing against you guys and Southside just helps prepare us for state.

Bucknam has just got to get us back in that elite group. We have talent. Hoping this is the year we get going back that direction.

My above post was not an argument against the other explanations. He may in fact have meant all state instead of all star. Now we have both explained.

RATTLER43

Quote from: The Infidel on July 27, 2010, 10:52:18 pm
Des Arc has started XC training in earnest. We have the largest group we've ever had with 30 runners signed up. How is practice going for everyone else?

30 senior boys, girls, jr. high, total? 30 is great for a small school.

Let's see; we have 8 junior girls, 10 senior girls, 5 jr. boys, 12 senior boys. May have some stragglers join during first week of school.

The Infidel

43, I think as of now we will have complete Sr. boys, Sr. girls and Jr. girls teams. Our girls have some high expectations following them but our Sr. boys could be the big surprise for us. We open with the Bob Gravett Inv. at Arkadelphia on Sept. 11 and I can't wait.

RATTLER43

Maybe our teams will meet at some invitational before state. Otherwise, we can discuss it until then. I recognize the talent on your girls' teams. You guys have some tradition too. This years girls division is very top heavy. Can't wait to see it get rolling.

RATTLER43

Need your senior boys to show up in track and battle augusta.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 29, 2010, 10:40:35 pm

Didn't Des Arc win just like two years ago?

The Infidel

And your point is?

AT

Quote from: The Infidel on July 30, 2010, 10:12:30 pm

And your point is?

That if you help take points away from Augusta, it will be easier for Magazine to win a state title in track...

AT

Back on track with cross country, though...I saw Alma practice for the first time today and I actually think they have a chance to be pretty good. I think can finish 6th and maybe sneak into the top 5.

They have one very good 9th grader who will run up with the senior high and then they have some talent behind them who have the potential to be good if they work hard and get back in the shape they were in during track season.

unioneagle5

how many were out there for alma?

AT

Quote from: unioneagle5 on August 04, 2010, 11:20:41 am
how many were out there for alma?

There were about 15 out there but Coach said they should have about 20-25 runners when school starts.

unioneagle5

that's nearly the same as last year isnt it?

AT

Its pretty close. We had close to 30 last year.

RATTLER43

Been out for awhile. Glad to be back.

Hope your athletes are getting geared up. CC season is just around the corner!!!

RATTLER43

Quote from: Almatrackster on July 29, 2010, 12:55:34 am

How about some of his athletes this summer. Cross was incredible.

Former Razorbacks Spearmon and Gay are burning it up!! Gay beat Bolt. I was so ready. Now we may see the records go even lower as these two prepare for next year's championship season.

On a different note, I think Alma may have to develop the distance runners to a new level to get back to the top in track. Coach Mac has them ready in field events, sprints, hurdles, relays, and mid-distance but with Vilonia and a few others developing higher quality distance runners it takes state points away from Alma. Of course, I also think that you guys were great all season and had an off day at state based upon what times/performances that I read about. It rarely happens with an Alma group but that is what the numbers looked like.

How many key state points did Alma graduate? Magnolia always reloads and Vilonia seems to be coming on in past couple of seasons. Crossett seems to be getting back to the crossett I remember. I just think the distance points are going to be crucial at state.

RATTLER43

Hey Union, I think you graduated your #1 Max H. How are you guys looking this year? I know you had the Speaks kid who looked good in junior high last year.

AT

Rattler: Next year could be tough...

Out of the 83 points we had last year (And yes overall, we had a bad meet)...

We graduated our two best 800 runners who got 4th and 5th at state (9 points)

We graduated our best miler who got 5th at state (4 points)

We graduated our best hurdler who got 5th in the 110 hurdles and 2nd in the 300 hurdles (12 points)

We only graduated one person off the 4 x 1 team...and I think another one moved, but they might be able to be just as good, I'm not sure. I'll say they won't get 5th...maybe 7th (2 points)

We graduated every runner on the 4th place 4 x 4 team...but this is one of the areas where Alma usually just reloads...I'll say 6th place next year (2 points)

We graduated the two better runners on the 4 x 8 team...I don't see them being as good...but this is DEFINITELY one of the areas we always reload in...and getting lower than 3rd probably won't happen since Beebe and Vilonia graduated their good runners. I'll say 3rd again (0 points)

We graduated our best pole vaulter who got 2nd (8 points)

We graduated our best shot putter who got first (10 points)

And our two best discus throwers who got 2nd and 5th (12 points)

So 59 points to make up. Now it probably sounds like I'm being a negative nancy but I don't want to sound like that. I know Coach Mac will always put a good team on the track every year. I don't think they will get lower than 4th or 5th next year. And there are always big surprises every year...they'll just need more people than usual to step up next year.

FOr all I know, they'll get better as the progresses and peak at State and finish better than we did last year

I'm just saying its going to be a challenge but I'm still excited to see how it goes

Magnolia is going to have a tough year too, I think. They do have better athletes at their disposal so it might be easier to reload...I think Vilonia is the favorite (hopefully not, though)

I agree that long distance for Alma will be big next year. We need more points in the mile and at least some points in the 2 mile. Our new 800 runners will have to step up also. We'll see.

RATTLER43

Wow. That is a lot to replace but if anybody can get it done it will be coach Mac. Throwers, hurdlers, and mid-distance runners thrive in his system.

I knew you guys had an off meet at state. We had seen you perform all season long. It happens.

Cannot wait to see what your distance crew puts together.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on August 09, 2010, 04:24:32 pm
Cannot wait to see what your distance crew puts together.

Me either. I think they'll have more depth than we did last year. But depth won't mean anything if they don't have some really good quality.

RATTLER43

Alma has made it look so easy for about 8 or 9 years(yes, Rogers, Lake Hamilton, Nashville, Mansfield, etc. have as well) but it is a testament to Coach Mac that he has been able to keep it rolling. I suspect he will find the athletes to replace those lost. How athletic are your 9th and 10th graders?

AT

Well the 10th graders won their junior high conference against the Fort Smith junior highs (Chaffin, Ramsey, Kimmons) so they are good.

The 9th graders are pretty good too I think. They have one distance runner who might be the best cross country runner this year.

RATTLER43

I figured Coach had some horses in the stables. Just have to bring them along and peak in the spring at the right time. I figure Alma will be right in the thick of the title hunt. You said you lost top two throwers. Any great junior throwers? Those guys are tough to replace.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on August 09, 2010, 07:42:26 pm
I figured Coach had some horses in the stables. Just have to bring them along and peak in the spring at the right time. I figure Alma will be right in the thick of the title hunt. You said you lost top two throwers. Any great junior throwers? Those guys are tough to replace.

Yeah we do!

Our 3rd place and 4th place athletes from shot put at state last year return. They each threw over 53 feet.

In discus, one of those shot putters would have probably got top 8 at state but he threw all fouls at conference and didn't qualify. Also we have one incoming sophomore who is supposed to be pretty dang good.

We won't be bad at throwing.

RATTLER43

Sounds promising and something that you can build a team around.

AT

Where is your first meet Rattler?

RATTLER43

We open up at Shiloh Christian Saints Invitational. Any of you guys going up there?

RATTLER43

Just a few weeks away. I can't wait. My girls teams are looking better than my boys teams right now.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on August 14, 2010, 05:32:53 pm
We open up at Shiloh Christian Saints Invitational. Any of you guys going up there?

No I don't think Alma is going to Shiloh Christian this year. Alma's first meet is Elkins, as usual.

Alma actually has a girl's cross country team this year. The most girls we had while I was there was 3 I think and they have around 8 or 9 this year.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

i overheard some of the xc parents talkin the other day and they were saying that the coach says barring any unforseen injuries, that the des arc girls are about to go on a 3-4 year run of dominance. But like i said it was here say and thats it. But i do know the coach knows talent and how to develop it.

RATTLER43

This could be a great run for small school girls CC. I know of 4 groups that are young and very talented. Will be fun.

AT

I heard from someone on the team that one of our better runners, a sophomore, had a pretty bad 4-wheeler accident and may possibly be out the rest of the season. He went to a doctor yesterday I believe. So I'll probably find out how serious it is soon.

Thank the Lord he lived, though. It sounded pretty nasty to me.

UALR11

If anyone in Central Arkansas needs spikes stop by Go! Running off of East Cantrell in Little Rock!

www.gorunning.com

20% off spike shoe combo this week

BTW hey guys, I follow all the thread but am too lazy to log on everytime anymore and reply

RATTLER43

Glad to hear from you again. Summer workouts go well? Team primed and ready for another great season?

Alma, yes, I am glad he is alive. Hope he recovers well and quickly.

Shiloh may not be up first for us. Will wait and see.

The Infidel

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 15, 2010, 06:39:24 am
i overheard some of the xc parents talkin the other day and they were saying that the coach says barring any unforseen injuries, that the des arc girls are about to go on a 3-4 year run of dominance. But like i said it was here say and thats it. But i do know the coach knows talent and how to develop it.

Pick, I will say this, if the girls we have now stay together as a team for the next 4 or 5 years they will be in the running for the 2A state title each year.

UALR11

I'm sure not ready, I tore my plantar fascia in half and had to take 5.5 months off:s.  You live and you learn.

The team doesn't need me though.  We will be led by 3 kenyans, and Aussie thats my roommate now, Johnny Purvis, a new kid named Dustin Mettler that went 14:44, and Markus. 

I've got my sights on the kickoff classic in Dec.

RATTLER43

Hope UALR has a banner season. Also hope your rehab goes well.

First day of school today. Had two new kids sign up today. Looking pretty decent. Sr. girls and boys looking good. Jr. girls and boys still looking for #4 and #5 runners to step up.

RATTLER43

Pick and Infidel, do your CC teams compete anywhere in our area of the state this season?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

rattler i havent seen a sced. Yet but when i do i will let u know though.

RATTLER43

Sounds good. Good luck, FB and CC.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

same to yal rattler. With school startin a sced should be in the local paper soon.

The Infidel

August 19, 2010, 09:46:58 pm #48 Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:19:57 pm by The Infidel
Here is the 2010 Des Arc schedule:

9/11  Bob Gravette Inv.  -  Arkadelphia
9/14  Josh Park Memorial -  Heber Springs
9/18  Wampus Cat Inv. -  Conway
9/25  Memphis Twilight Run - Memphis
10/02 Cyclone Inv.  - Russellville
10/09 Lake Hamilton Inv. -  Hot Springs
10/16 Chilli Pepper - Fayetteville
10/21 Guy Perkins Inv. - Guy Perkins HS
10/30 Central Conference Meet - Guy Perkins HS
11/06  State Meet  - Rogers

I'm really looking forward to the Memphis Twilight as this is a afternoon/night race and we have never been to it before.

AT

Quote from: The Infidel on August 19, 2010, 09:46:58 pm
Here is the 2010 Des Arc schedule:

9/11  Bob Gravette Inv.  -  Arkadelphia
9/14  Josh Park Memorial -  Heber Springs
9/18  Wampus Cat Inv. -  Conway
9/25  Memphis Twilight Run - Memphis
10/02 Cyclone Inv.  -  Conway
10/09 Lake Hamilton Inv. -  Hot Springs
10/16 Chilli Pepper - Fayetteville
10/21 Guy Perkins Inv. - Guy Perkins HS
10/30 Central Conference Meet - Guy Perkins HS
11/06  State Meet  - Rogers

I'm really looking forward to the Memphis Twilight as this is a afternoon/night race and we have never been to it before.

I would have loved to run an afternoon/night race in cross country. That sounds interesting.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas