• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville vs Alma

Started by MDXPHD, November 22, 2013, 09:38:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Thinking of attending this game

P.F.G.

We aren't fancy like some schools. No turf so footing for kicks will be a little different. The field will be in bad bad shape Friday night. 4 straight weeks of games and rain have made it a mud bath. I don't think people realize how nasty this game will be with all of the mud and hard hitting. Going to be great. Safe travels for all of the fans making the long drive to alma Friday. Catfish hole, red rooster and Mearls steakhouse would be my places to go.

MDXPHD

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 27, 2013, 08:38:10 am
We aren't fancy like some schools. No turf so footing for kicks will be a little different. The field will be in bad bad shape Friday night. 4 straight weeks of games and rain have made it a mud bath. I don't think people realize how nasty this game will be with all of the mud and hard hitting. Going to be great. Safe travels for all of the fans making the long drive to alma Friday. Catfish hole, red rooster and Mearls steakhouse would be my places to go.

Plus all of the water Steve puts on it tomorrow and Friday.

BillyJack™

Quote from: Lanny on November 27, 2013, 08:36:44 am
If you do, give me a call around 5pm Friday evening.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 27, 2013, 08:21:42 am
Alma kicked a FG from 30 yards out last week. Not a big kicker but he is an average high school kicker. This was on a mud pile too. Batesville has a big scary D and I'm willing to bet alma matches up close to them.

Should be a great game.  I hope both teams play to their potential, that the boys all play with class, and that there are no serious injuries.  While boys on the losing end will be upset, I hope the parents and fans will view the season as a success.  Making it to the final four is a great accomplishment.  BTW, what kind of speed and size does Alma have on their O-line?

P.F.G.

Fat and four wheel drive. Haven't been stuck I the mud this month:)

Paw-Paw

Going to be a great game! The defenses matchup well, the kickers can strike from reasonable differences (grass/mud will be interesting), and the field will be a mental battlefield for Batesville.

Whoever gets the last stop and a killer interception flips momentum and wins. Going to be a slobber-knocker.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 27, 2013, 08:38:10 am

With 3 days of sunshine and wind, I would imagine that the mud will be gone, but the rough surface may have some impact.  While the pioneers practice and play on a good surface, we do play some away games on grass/dirt/mud.  The GCT Mud Bowl, Blytheville, Nettleton, Wynne, and Forrest City, all have a natural surface. 

DogsWin7

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 09:09:59 am

With 3 days of sunshine and wind, I would imagine that the mud will be gone, but the rough surface may have some impact.  While the pioneers practice and play on a good surface, we do play some away games on grass/dirt/mud.  The GCT Mud Bowl, Blytheville, Nettleton, Wynne, and Forrest City, all have a natural surface.

Please introduce yourself to Steve Perry.    You really think the mud is gone?  Hahahahahahaa!

AT

ST is very well coached.

Alma's kickoff coverage has been excellent other than one TD return against Morrilton. Batesville fans may be interested in the strategy Alma uses on kickoffs. I've seen more teams go to this, but I think Alma has executed it the best I've seen yet. I'm talking about the sky kick. Alma doesn't kick deep usually on KO's, they kick it high for a couple of reasons.

1. I love this team, but Alma isn't super speedy so letting teams like Morrilton and Mills get a full head of steam on a return against us isn't the best idea.

2. You have to field a kickoff with Alma's hard hitting defense bearing down on you or call a fair catch and get no return yardage.

Our QB, Evan Burris, has been a very efficient punter this year. I don't know if Alma keeps a stat of how many times a punter pins a team inside the 20, but Evan has to have some sort of Alma record for that. I think last week was the first time I've seen him punt one into the end zone for a touchback and it was barely in.

Return game is efficient, too. We've had some good returns this year against fast teams, big teams, all kinds of teams.

Special teams is important and it's not just about how big of a leg your kicker has.

AT

Coach Loughridge talked about how our defense will have to win the game for us on Friday night. This will be a field position battle. I don't see our O going up and down the field. Our D needs to get some quick stops and make them punt in their territory to set us up for good field position.

sevenof400

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 09:09:59 am.. While the pioneers practice and play on a good surface, we do play some away games on grass/dirt/mud.  The GCT Mud Bowl, Blytheville, Nettleton, Wynne, and Forrest City, all have a natural surface.

There is nothing 'natural' about that on which Wynne plays. 
Abomination, yes.  Natural, no. 

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 27, 2013, 09:23:08 am
ST is very well coached.

Alma's kickoff coverage has been excellent other than one TD return against Morrilton. Batesville fans may be interested in the strategy Alma uses on kickoffs. I've seen more teams go to this, but I think Alma has executed it the best I've seen yet. I'm talking about the sky kick. Alma doesn't kick deep usually on KO's, they kick it high for a couple of reasons.

1. I love this team, but Alma isn't super speedy so letting teams like Morrilton and Mills get a full head of steam on a return against us isn't the best idea.

2. You have to field a kickoff with Alma's hard hitting defense bearing down on you or call a fair catch and get no return yardage.

Our QB, Evan Burris, has been a very efficient punter this year. I don't know if Alma keeps a stat of how many times a punter pins a team inside the 20, but Evan has to have some sort of Alma record for that. I think last week was the first time I've seen him punt one into the end zone for a touchback and it was barely in.

Return game is efficient, too. We've had some good returns this year against fast teams, big teams, all kinds of teams.

Special teams is important and it's not just about how big of a leg your kicker has.

Given the forecast of calm wind, Oz should put the kick-offs in the end zone.  Our kickoff and punt return guys have been pretty sure handed this year under pressure, making pretty conservative decisions with regard to the fair catch option.   No guarantees, but past competence in that are should be a pretty good day indicator of future success.  Our QB is also a quality punter, as I have stated on another thread.  If the young man were to have an opportunity to play football at the next level (though his game is really baseball) it would be as a punter.  He has not had to punt much this year, but when he does, he is quit effective.  Considering so many similar strengths, it should be a fun game to watch.

Intelligentsia

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 27, 2013, 09:58:55 am
Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 09:09:59 am.. While the pioneers practice and play on a good surface, we do play some away games on grass/dirt/mud.  The GCT Mud Bowl, Blytheville, Nettleton, Wynne, and Forrest City, all have a natural surface.

There is nothing 'natural' about that on which Wynne plays. 
Abomination, yes.  Natural, no.

Wynne is quite nice compared to the GCT PIT!!

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 10:21:50 am #164 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:27:49 pm by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 27, 2013, 09:56:43 amh
Coach Loughridge talked about how our defense will have to win the game for us on Friday night. This will be a field position battle. I don't see our O going up and down the field. Our D needs to get some quick stops and make them punt in their territory to set us up for good field position.

Should be a great test then, considering the Pioneer's bread and butter, the offensive line.  A lot of fun watching a very good lines matching up in a contest of smash mouth football.  Regardless of the outcome, it should be a great game for spectators!!  Can Alma hold the Pioneers on the ground and pound, only time will tell:).

ahsalum

Hey L Dawg...wanna sit with me in my suite...

ahsalum

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 10:21:50 am
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 27, 2013, 09:56:43 amh

The Alma QB make receive some very personal attention from young masters Bell, Richardson, Flood, and Jeffery.  He may even have the pleasure of becoming acquainted with a couple of our linebackers.  They do so love to visit with the QB in the backfield:). My recommendation to the QB, wear extra padding, throw or hand off quickly and brace yourself or fall quickly to the ground!!

Being on the field all night will wear out their legs..... their hits will become anemic.

Some of your boys might need armour. A couple of our Dbacks carry knives in their socks.

Paw-Paw

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 10:40:04 am #168 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:26:43 pm by Intelligentsia
I hope both teams play to their potential Friday night!

Paw-Paw

Five yard losses start with three-point stances! Batesville thinks they know defense. The 'Dales are ready to take them to school. ;D

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 10:50:30 am #170 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:23:52 pm by Intelligentsia
Steve, I look forward to meeting you Friday night.  I trust you will be in the hospitality room at halftime?

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 10:51:38 am #171 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:22:30 pm by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 27, 2013, 10:45:19 am
Five yard losses start with three-point stances! Batesville thinks they know defense. The 'Dales are ready to take them to school. ;D

Only time will tell:)

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 10:51:38 am
Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 27, 2013, 10:45:19 am

::)

Good teams earn respect. Champions demand it. Alma will do what they have done all year and charge through the competition.

ahsalum

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 10:50:30 am

BTW, I look forward to meeting you Friday night.  I trust you will be in the hospitality room at halftime?

No. I will be streaking across the field at the half with a 40 in my left hand a cig in my right hand...

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 27, 2013, 11:43:04 am
Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 27, 2013, 10:50:30 am

BTW, I look forward to meeting you Friday night.  I trust you will be in the hospitality room at halftime?

No. I will be streaking across the field at the half with a 40 in my left hand a cig in my right hand...

You going to wear those "neon pants" again?!

ahsalum

Streak.......as in naked....

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 27, 2013, 11:51:26 am

Streak.......as in naked....

I'll get the doughnuts for the cops in the hospitality room on the 5th floor of Airedale Tower, it'll give you a good 5mins. 

ahsalum

I will be running down the Batesville sidelines to the north endzone...then east to the Alma sidelines....turning then back to the south for a sprint to the south endzone

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Steve Perry on November 27, 2013, 11:55:53 am

I will be running down the Batesville sidelines to the north endzone...then east to the Alma sidelines....turning then back to the south for a sprint to the south endzone

I'll put the doughnuts on the observation deck then. By the time they get down the stairs, you can take the back gate behind the band stands.

sevenof400

ahsalum

And y'all thought a game was going to be played Friday night...

Paw-Paw

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 12:49:26 pm #183 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:21:05 pm by Intelligentsia
  Both if these teams are well respected and the state champion will certainly have earned it.  I know the Alma boys have made you and their community proud, as have the Pioneers in Batesville. 

P.F.G.

Glad to see both teams turn the clock back with ground and pound style.

Lanny

Quote from: BillyJack™ on November 27, 2013, 08:47:38 am
Offical I'll be at this game

sevenof400

Quote from: Lanny on November 27, 2013, 04:59:30 pm
Quote from: BillyJack™ on November 27, 2013, 08:47:38 am
Offical I'll be at this game

Lanny,

You know it would be ratings magic to get video of Steve at half time....

Fballfan05

Alma is not as good as people think. It will be an easy win for Batesville. Alma has decent defense but below average offense. They cannot throw the ball so if you stop the run you have won the game.

AT

Quote from: Fballfan05 on November 27, 2013, 05:48:51 pm
Alma is not as good as people think. It will be an easy win for Batesville. Alma has decent defense but below average offense. They cannot throw the ball so if you stop the run you have won the game.

I'm sure Beebe didn't think Alma could throw the ball either until Evan Burris threw for over 200 yards and 4 touchdowns against them. This is Alma's best passing game in awhile. The Airedales don't throw a lot, but they are very efficient when they do.

Evan has got much better as the year has gone along. Alma had -1 yards rushing in the first half against Beebe and won by 26 points.

The_Pioneer

Alma will win by infinity. No one can beat a West team.  Ever.

Paw-Paw

Alma has a pretty decent balance attack, for the year Alma averages 166.40 receiving yards per game, 201.40 rushing yards per game, and our defense averages 67.6 tackles per game. Overall the offense has generated 48 touchdowns and the defense has generated 15 sacks with 14 interceptions on the year.

Evan is throwing an average of 14.524% or for those that choose not to do math, that is 166.4 yards per game with 18 touchdowns to five interceptions on the year. This kid already has over 1,500 yards (1692) of offense.

Malachi White is a work horse. Plain and simple. On 200 carries this year he has gashed defenses for 996 yards. He is averaging close to five yards per carry (4.98) and generates an average of 90.5 yards per game.

Yeah, that sounds like a below average offense bud.

YAWN...NEXT!

Paw-Paw

Go Postal

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 27, 2013, 11:59:51 am

Steve was a bit overweight, but his doctor recommended that he needed to run more.  He took it to the next level.

BTW, sevenof400, love that signature.  USA all the way!

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 08:14:52 pm #193 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:19:33 pm by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 27, 2013, 07:42:13 pm

Alma has a pretty decent balance attack, for the year Alma averages 166.40 receiving yards per game, 201.40 rushing yards per game, and our defense averages 67.6 tackles per game. Overall the offense has generated 48 touchdowns and the defense has generated 15 sacks with 14 interceptions on the year.

Evan is throwing an average of 14.524% or for those that choose not to do math, that is 166.4 yards per game with 18 touchdowns to five interceptions on the year. This kid already has over 1,500 yards (1692) of offense.

Malachi White is a work horse. Plain and simple. On 200 carries this year he has gashed defenses for 996 yards. He is averaging close to five yards per carry (4.98) and generates an average of 90.5 yards per game.

YAWN...NEXT!

Pretty impressive Paw-Paw.  Should make for a great game.

Fballfan05

YAWN...NEXT!
. 1,500 yards through 12 games is not very good. Face it, they will lose to Batesville. They play the same style but are a much better team. Only good win Alma has is against Morrilton where they only won by 8 while morrilton turned the ball over 5 times. Alma is not very good.

Intelligentsia

November 27, 2013, 09:03:10 pm #195 Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:17:12 pm by Intelligentsia
+1

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Fballfan05 on November 27, 2013, 08:32:24 pm

YAWN...NEXT!
. 1,500 yards through 12 games is not very good. Face it, they will lose to Batesville. They play the same style but are a much better team. Only good win Alma has is against Morrilton where they only won by 8 while morrilton turned the ball over 5 times. Alma is not very good.

Got your statement documented for records. ::)

Go Postal

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 27, 2013, 09:23:08 am
ST is very well coached.

I quite agree with trackster on his points and it is not just about how big of a leg your kicker has, it helps, but what really matters is the precision of where you put the ball at.  For instance this year, it seems a lot of teams have adopted the onside kick along with the long kickoff.  Also, the pooch and rugby along with the traditional punt.  So special/defensive teams that play against other teams that have utilized some or all of the aforementioned kicks and learned to adapt at a moments notice will stop the different style kicking game.  PA learned the hard way against Morrilton about trying to keep doing the onside and the Devil Dogs also had the accuracy on punt kicks to put it from PA's one yard line or inside the 20 or so.  FGs, the same old style, but some have been utilizing the fake FG and go for the 2 point conversion.  Morrilton and Alma have seen some or most of these different types of kicking games during this season.  Now that a lot of posters have said that the Alma field is in bad shape due to weather and the last few games.  Doesn't matter, Real Men Play On Grass, the same for the kickers.

Defense and Special teams, be ready at a moments notice to adapt to the kicking game, but accurate kicking can be the key.  Put the ball where needed, no matter what the conditions are.

(and with apologies to my Alma brethren)
No matter what type of ball is kicked, put the ball where needed! ;D

Wonderdog

Fballfan05

Quote from: Paw-Paw on November 27, 2013, 09:13:26 pm
Quote from: Fballfan05 on November 27, 2013, 08:32:24 pm

YAWN...NEXT!

Got your statement documented for records. ::)
For what lol?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas