• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How good is Centerpoint

Started by ReddieKnightTrojan, February 01, 2016, 02:40:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ReddieKnightTrojan

With average margin of victory in undefeated season since Christmas being 33 points
With quality wins over Searcy, DeQueen, Lakeside HS, and Fountain Lake in that time
With recent point totals being 87 and 84 against Fouke and Horatio respectively
   (I know opponent quality is called into question, but I have seen teams struggle to score in the 80s against air)
The Knights deserve to be mentioned among the most qualified this year in 3A

MDXPHD

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on February 01, 2016, 02:40:34 pm
With average margin of victory in undefeated season since Christmas being 33 points
With quality wins over Searcy, DeQueen, Lakeside HS, and Fountain Lake in that time
   (I know opponent quality is called into question, but I have seen teams struggle to score in the 80s against air)

(Not sure if you think those are really quality wins or if those are just the best teams CP has played)

neds

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on February 01, 2016, 02:40:34 pm

Could they win it all this year in 3A?

Knight pride

We have really good shooters and we play really good defense

ReddieKnightTrojan

I got to watch them last night and I must say they looked good. They have 3 kids that can shoot lights out from the 3 point line, and a couple more that would be a top go-to 3pt shooter on any team in the state. The thing that impressed me the most about playing a very athletic and quick-handed Prescott team was their ability to drive the lane, slash, and finish plays. Their SG did allow a Prescott player to get in his head, but that is something mentally that they can work on. As for winning it all in 3A this year...absolutely they can. What's more is that the team is loaded with juniors and sophomores. I believe they only have 4 seniors, and they mainly come off of the bench. They started the game big getting behind the defense on inbound plays and throwing full court inbound passes for easy layups. Halfway through the first period, Prescott was noticeably winded. Prescott kept it close for most of the game, but their legs got the best of them midway through the 4th. Centerpoint pulled away with around 3 minutes to go to secure a 64-45? victory.

WPWells

South Arkansas 3A basketball traditionally isn't very good. Sorry, but I'm not convinced

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Fred Bird on February 03, 2016, 08:26:28 am
South Arkansas 3A basketball traditionally isn't very good. Sorry, but I'm not convinced
how many state championships has north Arkansas won in 3a?

sportsguy80

Quote from: Oldman on February 03, 2016, 09:21:27 am
+1

bobcats

Trick question.  3A is a new classification created in 2007.  Most were in 2A before that.  To answer your question Earle and Rivercrest.  Earle multiple times.

young_gun

Quote from: bobcats on February 03, 2016, 10:09:43 am

Trick question.  3A is a new classification created in 2007.  Most were in 2A before that.  To answer your question Earle and Rivercrest.  Earle multiple times.

Actually 6A and 7A were new classifications 3A has been around for a while.

WPWells

How many has south Arkansas won? In fact, how many times have they played for one? Closest they've gotten is the semifinals. Region 4 is the ONLY region that hasn't put a team in the state championship game. It's easy to look good playing Prescott.

bobcats

Quote from: young_gun on February 03, 2016, 10:18:53 am
Quote from: bobcats on February 03, 2016, 10:09:43 am

Actually 6A and 7A were new classifications 3A has been around for a while.

Technically yes but before the realignment almost all the current 3A schools were 2A.  The old 3A schools were moved up.  A few schools like Osceola have had declining enrollment and were in the old 3A.  They won multiple state championships in the old 3A.

ReddieKnightTrojan

What is all this talk about traditionally...and has won... I'm talking about the present and the future. You are wrong about Prescott. Their only conference losses were to Centerpoint. They blew everyone else out (except Genoa). They are very athletic...
Prescott - Horatio
58-19
Prescott - Fouke
68-40
Prescott - Cossatot
52-24
Centerpoint is just that good in my opinion. I remember thinking that CP needed to make a run at the start of the 4th. CP was up by 8 or so. The SG looped around the baseline and ended up wide open in the corner. Prescott kid came from the top of the key and closed out enough to challenge the shot but fouled after the release that ended up good. Kid sank the and1 and the 4 pt play began a 9-0 run. To end the game, CP was deep into Prescott's legs and CP had shooters open all over the court. I remember it was 20-16 CP after 1 and coach sat his starters most of the second and it was 31-31 at the half. I thought that was a bit risky, but it worked.
The final score reported to MaxPreps was 62-41
It wasn't that apparent that CP outscored the Curley Wolves 31-10 in the second half.

Ice Water

07 Riverview over Hughes
08 Rose Bud over Prescott
09 Baptist over Valley Springs
10 Earle over Manila
11 Rivercrest over West Fork
12 Earle over Charleston
13 Harding over Episcopal
14 Episcopal over Charleston
15 Episcopal over Mayflower

Region 1: 0 titles, 3 appearances
Region 2: 6 titles, 8 appearances
Region 3: 3 titles, 6 appearances
Region 4: 0 titles, 1 appearance

WPWells

Thank you.

And arguing that Prescott is good because their only loss is to Centerpoint is an incredibly circular argument. My point is that Prescott isn't a good measuring stick for how good Centerpoint is. Who has Centerpoint beaten?

Head Lion

Quote from: Ice Water on February 03, 2016, 02:31:50 pm
07 Riverview over Hughes
08 Rose Bud over Prescott
09 Baptist over Valley Springs
10 Earle over Manila
11 Rivercrest over West Fork
12 Earle over Charleston
13 Harding over Episcopal
14 Episcopal over Charleston
15 Episcopal over Mayflower

Region 1: 0 titles, 3 appearances
Region 2: 6 titles, 8 appearances
Region 3: 3 titles, 6 appearances
Region 4: 0 titles, 1 appearance
Region 3 will make those numbers up with 2 starting next year, if we don't sneak around and arrive a year early.

hawgfan15

Prescott is not very good this year. Centerpoint might make the state tournament this year but they are not a contender to win it all. Wins over DeQueen, Searcy, Lakeside, and Fountain Lake are not impressive.

Knight pride

It dont really matter it only matter when the state tournament gets here y'all will see!!

ReddieKnightTrojan

The best I could tell is that Centerpoint beat Cutter Morning Star then lost to Malvern in the Magnet Cove Senior Tournament and lost to White Hall then Lake Hamilton in the Kameron Hale Tournament. As far as that research goes, Centerpoint is currently 17-3 overall and 9-0 in conference play. Only 2 other teams are undefeated in their respective conference. That would be Cedar Ridge and Marshall. I'm looking forward to this junior laden team's march to a state title.

bb1996

They start 4 seniors and one junior next five r 2 seniors 3 juniors. They lost to Watson chapel not white hall but all 3 loses were by 10 but in all 3 they were ahead going into 4 quarter. I have coached this bunch of boys since 3 grade in AAU ball so will say they give 110% and never give up so if they make out of region that's a big if sure they can win it all.

cdelaney

Quote from: bb1996 on February 05, 2016, 07:17:33 pm
They start 4 seniors and one junior next five r 2 seniors 3 juniors. They lost to Watson chapel not white hall but all 3 loses were by 10 but in all 3 they were ahead going into 4 quarter. I have coached this bunch of boys since 3 grade in AAU ball so will say they give 110% and never give up so if they make out of region that's a big if sure they can win it all.
I have no idea how good they are, but if you're worried about them getting out of their regional, they ain't gonna go all the way in State.

WPWells

Markadomous

Fred just called you out PB. Calling your region awful. How dare her to say that.

bb1996

It is awful but athletic teams give us trouble. We are hosting so I say we be OK.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Fred Bird on February 03, 2016, 03:04:52 pm
Thank you.

And arguing that Prescott is good because their only loss is to Centerpoint is an incredibly circular argument. My point is that Prescott isn't a good measuring stick for how good Centerpoint is. Who has Centerpoint beaten?

Just about everyone they have played.

Knight pride

Also depends on the team how they match up to our defense or the offense they run

teachers pet

The only measuring stick I've seen is CP and Jessieville both got beat by around the same margin by Malvern after trailing by a few points at half. I think CP is better than people think, just be glad you're not on region 2.

bb1996

Friday night at mineral springs will be a big test. Even if they r 2a very hard place to get a win and they have beat some good teams.

ReddieKnightTrojan

I'm actually predicting Centerpoint to lose Friday night. I hope that they win, but Mineral Springs is better than average, and with a little help from the officials and a hometown crowd, I think MS just might give CP a reality check. I hope I'm wrong...we'll see.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas