• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ADG Rankings today

Started by Head Lion, January 05, 2016, 08:42:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Googlymoogly

January 07, 2016, 12:31:56 pm #50 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:42:37 pm by Googlymoogly
Quote from: NEark tigers on January 07, 2016, 11:14:34 am
Quote from: The Dynasty on January 07, 2016, 09:12:53 am
Just from watching some videos on Cedar Ridge and a few others I have a question..... Who in NEA plays defense?
Earle Bulldogs does.
Earle is 2A though. I think he means what 3A teams in NEA plays defense. However I think Earle will be back in 3A next cycle

Head Lion

The Dynasty

Quote from: Head Lion on January 07, 2016, 12:33:35 pm
Manila plays D.

I did notice looking at the scores that Manila held them to 52 points. How many did he have in this game?

By no means am I taking anything away from this kid. I couldn't have scored 70+ in my prime with no one guarding me. With that being said I wouldn't confuse what I saw in the short clips from Westside or Valley View with good defense.

Head Lion

He had 21 hard worked for points.

The Dynasty

Quote from: Head Lion on January 07, 2016, 01:18:26 pm

There you go. That's all I'm saying. To say he can't be stopped from scoring is ridiculous.

He is fun to watch. Any big schools giving him looks?

MDXPHD

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 07, 2016, 01:21:09 pm

There you go. That's all I'm saying. To say he can't be stopped from scoring is ridiculous.

21 points is a pretty good game for a high school kid. I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "stopped from scoring."

I'm sure CR wouldn't mind playing Manila again. CR also lost to Tuckerman, but we all know that the kid can't score 40 plus every single game. Everyone has one or two bad nights...I'm sure he looks forward to playing teams that think they can shut him down.

Head Lion

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 07, 2016, 01:37:25 pm

21 points is a pretty good game for a high school kid. I guess I just don't understand what you mean by "stopped from scoring."

I'm sure CR wouldn't mind playing Manila again. CR also lost to Tuckerman, but we all know that the kid can't score 40 plus every single game. Everyone has one or two bad nights...I'm sure he looks forward to playing teams that think they can shut him down.
We by no means stopped him, but he worked for every single point.

The Dynasty

21 is a very good game. Not near as good as 50+ which he won't score on a good defensive team.

Stopped from scoring in his situation is holding him to 20-25 points. Which is a testament to how good the kid is. I guess my point is I'm not buying into to CR being #1 just because they have a kid scoring 40+ point per game.

NEA Razorback olfan

January 07, 2016, 02:01:18 pm #58 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:07:06 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Haha ,Man I wish when I played I had an off night and only scored 21pts

Dude I watched Brookland win State 2 years ago using the best D in 4a ,
Beat Monticello 21-20 in OT .Beat DWay in Regional Finals by 20..and Lonoke in Finals
I know what good D is.
Most teams will play a gimmick Defense on him ...box and one
His Basketball IQ is off the charts ..
I thought there is no way this kid can do that again, and it was just Crazy
... The thing is he is not what you would call a ball hog!!
He gets his team mates  the ball. If they are not hitting open jumpers , he just takes over, it's crazy !!!

MDXPHD

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 07, 2016, 01:46:54 pm

21 is a very good game. Not near as good as 50+ which he won't score on a good defensive team.

Stopped from scoring in his situation is holding him to 20-25 points. Which is a testament to how good the kid is. I guess my point is I'm not buying into to CR being #1 just because they have a kid scoring 40+ point per game.

Charleston should be number one I bet.

luxora4life

The kid can play and is talent.  And the reason he's putting up those type of number Has more to do with the team he play on not the teams he playing against.  In order to score those many points; you first have to have the opportunity to put up those many shots.  And there aren't to many teams in the world talent wise and character wise were he would get that many shot attempts.  Today's players play by the ME rule.  I've been more impressed with he's teammates allowing him to score the way he do than him scoring those many points.   

RedWolf275

Quote from: Googlymoogly on January 07, 2016, 12:31:56 pm
Just from watching some videos on Cedar Ridge and a few others I have a question..... Who in NEA plays defense?
Earle Bulldogs does.
Earle is 2A though. I think he means what 3A teams in NEA plays defense. However I think Earle will be back in 3A next cycle

Earle will still be 2a next cucle

The Dynasty

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 07, 2016, 02:03:50 pm

Nope. I think they have the Tigers pegged about right. We have 4 new starters from last year and play in a pretty competitive conference. The promising thing is they attack the rim and play good, physical defense. Add to that they have 3 guys scoring 10+ points a game. That is a recipe for making a run at state.

I'm not going to back off the statement that I think it's a bit comical a team that didn't make it out of regionals last year is ranked higher than the 2x defending state champs.

MDXPHD

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 07, 2016, 02:18:49 pm

Nope. I think they have the Tigers pegged about right. We have 4 new starters from last year and play in a pretty competitive conference. The promising thing is they attack the rim and play good, physical defense. Add to that they have 3 guys scoring 10+ points a game. That is a recipe for making a run at state.

I'm not going to back off the statement that I think it's a bit comical a team that didn't make it out of regionals last year is ranked higher than the 2x defending state champs.

I won't argue with you, but the last two years have nothing to do with this year, as you should know because of Charleston football this season. Good luck to Charleston, and I hope to see the matchup between them and CR if it happens. (I'm not from CR, but I think it's weird to criticize defense in NEA. NEA is pretty good at basketball most years...in almost every classification.)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 07, 2016, 02:15:45 pm
Quote from: Googlymoogly on January 07, 2016, 12:31:56 pm
Earle Bulldogs does.

Earle will still be 2a next cucle

Last numbers I seen had Earle closer to 1a than 3a...

The Dynasty

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 07, 2016, 02:21:26 pm

I won't argue with you, but the last two years have nothing to do with this year, as you should know because of Charleston football this season. Good luck to Charleston, and I hope to see the matchup between them and CR if it happens. (I'm not from CR, but I think it's weird to criticize defense in NEA. NEA is pretty good at basketball most years...in almost every classification.)

Let me change my comment then. Valley View and Westisde don't play defense.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 07, 2016, 04:16:50 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on January 07, 2016, 02:21:26 pm

Let me change my comment then. Valley View and Westisde don't play defense.

:o :o :o

#EagleStrong

Well, one of those new starters was all-state as a sophomore at another school, so....

But, from what I've seen of Charleston, they play very good, physical D and clean up on the boards. They are capable of beating Cedar Ridge for sure. They don't really have one standout defender, but their team defense is really great. Fenner has improved on his D tremendously from a year ago. So, while I don't think they would shut Reaves down, I definitely think he'd really have to earn every point he'd get. I don't think you can be one-dimensional and beat Charleston, but Reaves is so versatile he makes up for a lot. I hope we get to see that match up at some point.

HorseFeathers

What's with Charleston posters and not being able to turn loose of the past? What a team did last year shouldn't have any bearing on this years ranking...

#EagleStrong

Quote from: HF on January 07, 2016, 08:06:48 pm

What's with Charleston posters and not being able to turn loose of the past? What a team did last year shouldn't have any bearing on this years ranking...

Two years ago Cedarville went to the state quarterfinals. Last year they finished last in the worst conference in 3A. In that same span in that region, Paris went from 9-21 to 23-9 and went from a sixth-place finish to a district championship. Things can change a lot from one year to the next.

ECS has Robinson and Freeman, sure, but they lost a two-time state MVP in Mahlon Martin and a dominant inside presence in the Gooseberry twins.

Also, the team that knocked Cedar Ridge out in the first round of regionals, Mayflower, advanced all the way to the state championship game. It was a 6-point game, closer than any of Mayflower's three state tournament wins. It's a mischaracterization to describe that as "not even making it to state."

#EagleStrong

Consequently, if I were to rerank the teams 1-5 from last year, it would go:

1. ECS
2. Charleston
3. Mayflower
4. Cedar Ridge
5. Valley Springs

HorseFeathers

How did mayflower and cedar ridge and up matches up in first round of region?

#EagleStrong

Quote from: HF on January 07, 2016, 08:19:39 pm
How did mayflower and cedar ridge and up matches up in first round of region?

Mayflower finished third in their district (the toughest in 3A), and Cedar Ridge finished second in theirs after getting upset by Harding Academy.

#EagleStrong

It's also worth noting that Charleston, who I ranked 2nd overall, finished third in their district tournament as well after getting upset by Lamar. Upsets at the district and regional tournament levels completely distort state tournament brackets.

Ctucker

Do not no final score but CR beat Harding tonight all I know is they were up 25 when Reeves and Crabtree came out.

bdog32

Nettleton plays pretty good defense and reaves scored 49 on them

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on January 05, 2016, 08:42:37 pm
1. Cedar Ridge 2. ECS 3. Manila 4. Smackover 5. Charleston 6. Valley Springs
#3Manila. 56
                   Osceola. 65. F.

TheOfficial

Quote from: ISU7 on January 08, 2016, 10:52:38 pm
Quote from: Head Lion on January 05, 2016, 08:42:37 pm
1. Cedar Ridge 2. ECS 3. Manila 4. Smackover 5. Charleston 6. Valley Springs
#3Manila. 56
                   Osceola. 65. F.

Well well

neds

Earle Bulldogs does.

Is the roster for the nation back to full strength? Someone said in an earlier post some players had been detained in Harrison

TheOfficial

Quote from: neds on January 09, 2016, 08:35:50 pm
Earle Bulldogs does.

Is the roster for the nation back to full strength? Someone said in an earlier post some players had been detained in Harrison

For some reason that post was locked

neds

Updated on 1/10/16
Boys
Cedar Ridge
ECS
Charleston
Valley Springs
Smackover
Centerpoint

Girls
Greenland
McGehee
Paris
Two Rivers
Valley Springs
Rose Bud

teachers pet

ADG does know Jessieville is in 3-A, right? lol

neds

I think the loss at ECS may have the ADG a bit bias towards Jessieville, not sure. I would have them top 4. I said that before the season started and anyone doubting my sincerity on that can check the history of my posts. Coach Lamb does a great job and his teams always improve as the year goes. I say the same about BHG

Longfellow

Can't wait for that Paris/TR matchup in two weeks

Black and Gold

When do Charleston and TR play? And where?

#EagleStrong

So, serious question here. Does anyone give any credence to these ADG rankings? I feel like our community on here has a much better grasp of how the teams in 3A stack up, but maybe I'm just biased.

Longfellow

Quote from: Black and Gold on January 10, 2016, 01:14:26 pm
When do Charleston and TR play? And where?
This Friday at TR.

Quote from: #EagleStrong on January 10, 2016, 01:17:04 pm
So, serious question here. Does anyone give any credence to these ADG rankings? I feel like our community on here has a much better grasp of how the teams in 3A stack up, but maybe I'm just biased.
I think the girls rankings are pretty good. In my opinion, boys is still too wide open but those are a good start

neds

On both side, girls and boys, the paper probably favors two things: great records (just looks impressive) and central AR teams (because that's who they see play)

hogsnout

I think Friday we will find out who is who between TR an Charleston boys.Same for girls when Paris plays TR in 2 weeks.It will show where best boys and girls  teams are in central part of 3a.I plan on being at both i say the winners will win there district in 3-4a.Should be some good 1's.

WPWells

Charleston isn't a central AR team...I agree with the premise of your post, but you appear slightly geographically challenged

Black and Gold

I'll be there Longfellow. You announcing?

#EagleStrong

Quote from: hogsnout on January 10, 2016, 03:33:58 pm
I think Friday we will find out who is who between TR an Charleston boys.Same for girls when Paris plays TR in 2 weeks.It will show where best boys and girls  teams are in central part of 3a.I plan on being at both i say the winners will win there district in 3-4a.Should be some good 1's.

I mean, Paris just played Charleston within 6 at Charleston and Two Rivers just lost to Lamar at home after struggling to beat 1-11 Danville, so tell me again why the 3A-4 is going to come down to that game? Paris and Lamar each only have one conference loss, both at Charleston. In girls you're probably right, but that's quite a leap for a team coming off two bad performances like that.

Longfellow

neds

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 10, 2016, 04:45:59 pm
Charleston isn't a central AR team...I agree with the premise of your post, but you appear slightly geographically challenged

I understand where Charleston is located. I think Charleston gets cred that is unusual for teams outside of the LR area due to their success in multiple sports.

WPWells

That was at hogsnout saying Charleston-TR would show which central team controlled things

neds

Updated on 1/17/16

BOYS
Cedar Ridge
Valley Springs
ECS
Centerpoint
Two Rivers
Charleston

GIRLS
Greenland
McGehee
Paris
Two Rivers
Valley Springs
Rose Bud

WPWells

teachers pet

Still no love for either Jessieville team, unbelievable!

WPWells

Beat someone (i.e. ECS on Tuesday) and then you'll get your love

teachers pet

That's ok, we'll get our love in the state tournament.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas