• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reaves does it again

Started by MA, December 29, 2015, 11:47:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedWolf275

The defense against him was better tonight. He did uncharacteristicly missed 5-6 free throws. May have been a little leg weary but still had a great game.

chickasaw fan

That ASU offer may not be on the table when the coach is gone after this season. I don't think he can play at Gonzaga, unless he bulks up some. Right now he is the tallest kid on the court at the NEA tourney. When he gets to college that wont be the case. He want be able to guard a true point "too slow" and any post will push him around. The only miss match he brings to the table is the ability to shoot over smaller guards.

Missco

ASU would be stupid not to offer. The kid can play. He is good enough to play at the D-1 level. The cat was able to win with players like him. He will end up somewhere.

Moonshiner

Quote from: chickasaw fan on December 29, 2015, 11:01:41 pm
That ASU offer may not be on the table when the coach is gone after this season. I don't think he can play at Gonzaga, unless he bulks up some. Right now he is the tallest kid on the court at the NEA tourney. When he gets to college that wont be the case. He want be able to guard a true point "too slow" and any post will push him around. The only miss match he brings to the table is the ability to shoot over smaller guards.

So Pat Bradley, Davor Rimatz, Rotnei Clark didn't hear the same things?
And those guys were pretty much spot up shooters only.  With the exception of Rimatz.  Arkansas won the title with Davor in the lineup I believe.  Might be wrong.   Maybe he goes somewhere like Baylor where they play a matchup zone.  Someone has to guard him too.
Gonzaga might not offer, but he's gonna get more and more interest as his season goes along.  I think people fail to realize that he beat Malik Monk twice when they were both Freshman. Twice.

Redleg76

Quote from: chickasaw fan on December 29, 2015, 11:01:41 pm
Dumbest post int he history of the Internet.... Kid can flat out play. On the next level he may well be a 1 and guard a 2 or maybe 3 on the other end. He has shown he is fast enough (opposite of too slow) to DRIBBLE around 2 and 3 defenders. He may well enough the tallest kid at the NEA, couple that with the best dribbling skills at the tourney and you have quite a combination. Schools like Arkansas, Missouri, Gonzaga, and Witchita State wouldn't waste the time, money, or effort to come watch this kid if his ability wasn't real.
I do agree he needs to bulk up a bit - but so does Steph Curry!

bdubyab60

The guard they put on him tonight have him a little trouble tonight, for a little while. He won't be able to power through people in the paint like he did tonight. In college he will run in to guards as tall and a lot more athletic than he is, that's facts.

There's a reason he's not on any of the major lists guys. That being said I'd take a shot on him. Put some muscle on him, work on his quickness and you have a solid guard, shooter or whatever you wanna call him. The kid knows how to score and plays heads up basketball.

Pat Bradley, was an absolute sniper and had a stouter build than reaves.

Rimak- was way bigger if I remember

Clark- was more like Bradley just shorter. But all 3 were somewhat of a liability on the defensive end were they not.

Point is you are giving up some on the defensive end to get some scoring. Reaves isn't to bad of a defender, forces his man to where the help is for the most part. I'll give up 10 to get 15.

Missco

Regardless, ASU would be dumb not to offer.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 29, 2015, 11:53:15 pm
The guard they put on him tonight have him a little trouble tonight, for a little while. He won't be able to power through people in the paint like he did tonight. In college he will run in to guards as tall and a lot more athletic than he is, that's facts.

There's a reason he's not on any of the major lists guys. That being said I'd take a shot on him. Put some muscle on him, work on his quickness and you have a solid guard, shooter or whatever you wanna call him. The kid knows how to score and plays heads up basketball.

Clark- was more like Bradley just shorter. But all 3 were somewhat of a liability on the defensive end were they not.

Point is you are giving up some on the defensive end to get some scoring. Reaves isn't to bad of a defender, forces his man to where the help is for the most part. I'll give up 10 to get 15.

Going off of highlights, he seems to be an old school just know how to score type of guy. There aren't many of those guys out there nowadays that can find ways to score. As a hogs fan, I hope they take a chance on him if he qualifies. We have enough athletes, it's time to get somebody who can play some basketball.

NEA Razorback olfan

December 30, 2015, 12:10:02 am #58 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:15:41 am by NEA Razorback olfan
The kid scored 57 and 49
Naw the kid just can't play !!
Every athlete on Nettleton are very strong and extreamly quick.
Double teamed and sometimes triple teamed
But naw he is too slow
the kid just still finds a way to score under pressure in defining moments !!!
Too bad the kid can't play. Humm
Denial must be bliss!!

Arkansas has plenty of players that can run down the floor and miss shots, along with a lot of other d1 schools. A player that can find ways by shooting or passing and use his experience. Imagine him with a solid college lineup....

Moonshiner

There are probably a few reasons he's not on the big lists.  He has been injured off and on with a recurring shoulder problem.  This has also kept him from bulking up.
But he plays at Cedar Ridge.  Newark to us old timers.  He's a long way from North and Central Arkansas. 
Keep doubting him.  I'm telling you, he's gonna play somewhere.  He's a legit 6'5" and is quicker than you think.  Guys his size and with his skill set aren't easy to find.
I just watched two kids tonight at Harrison that are supposedly D1 recruits.  I'd take Reeves over both of them.   One of them only scored about 4 points.

TheGovernor

Forrest city beat 7a Cabot 81-66... Reeves beat forest city by himself smh lol

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: TheGovernor on December 30, 2015, 12:28:38 am
Forrest city beat 7a Cabot 81-66... Reeves beat forest city by himself smh lol

Ya 73 pts
Too bad the kid can't play

chickasaw fan

Early signing has come and gone. Usually by this point kids know where they are headed or have there choices narrowed down. Who has he narrowed his list down too? Wait!!  What was his list again?? Think about it guys.

NEA Razorback olfan

December 30, 2015, 01:25:14 am #63 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:37:21 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: chickasaw fan on December 30, 2015, 01:18:05 am
Early signing has come and gone. Usually by this point kids know where they are headed or have there choices narrowed down. Who has he narrowed his list down too? Wait!!  What was his list again?? Think about it guys.

So you don't think he will play at the next level?

Think of all those young boys watching the last two nights With dreams of playing in college someday. After watching his performance and telling them Reaves isn't good enough to play at the next level.
I believe they wouldn't believe you, as I do not.
He will decide where he plays and not you.
I hope he has a great next level experience .

chickasaw fan

For sure he will play at the next level. I see more D2 for him!!! Arkansas State at best. No SEC or BIG 12. He just don't have that little extra burst that the top tier college programs have.

Catfish

Quote from: chickasaw fan on December 30, 2015, 01:29:44 am
For sure he will play at the next level. I see more D2 for him!!! Arkansas State at best. No SEC or BIG 12. He just don't have that little extra burst that the top tier college programs have.

This is dumb. Lol definitely a D1 player. I've heard a prep school is in his future though.  And that's coming from a pretty reliable source

Missco

He actually would fit at most Missouri Valley or Ohio Valley conference schools. He is actually better than most Sun belt recruits. I actually think he will get better offers than ASU in the end. If I were him, I would go the JUCO route before I went D 2

NEA Razorback olfan

I don't believe pistol Pete had that BURST
Either. But he did pretty well

bdog32

His list of suitors. Arkansas  Missouri South Dakota state has offered asu offered ualr offered Utah state came and watched him score 73 in hurricane . Gonzaga has called Wichita state flew in to watch practice.  They have a solid prep school in Wichita. North eastern fsu. Those are all the schools I've seen mentioned here and on twitter.  He can flat score.  I don't think any of those schools would waste time calling and watching if they didn't think he could gelp.  That and he is young.  Will be 17 still when he graduates.  A lot of us have grandkids older Than. Him.  How good can he be when he's 20???

NEA Razorback olfan

Best of luck to the young man!!!

Ctucker

In reference to Chickasaw fan if I was him I would not want to play in sec. I can't stand watching that mess they play I'm a razorback fan but can't stand to watch them play they can't shoot,rebound wait they can't play basketball. I would like to see him go to prep school and get stronger then go to a Missouri valley school or go Gonzaga. But I wish him all the luck in the world in whatever he does. But he diffently has the ability to play d1!

bdubyab60

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 30, 2015, 12:11:17 am

There are probably a few reasons he's not on the big lists.  He has been injured off and on with a recurring shoulder problem.  This has also kept him from bulking up.
But he plays at Cedar Ridge.  Newark to us old timers.  He's a long way from North and Central Arkansas. 
Keep doubting him.  I'm telling you, he's gonna play somewhere.  He's a legit 6'5" and is quicker than you think.  Guys his size and with his skill set aren't easy to find.
I just watched two kids tonight at Harrison that are supposedly D1 recruits.  I'd take Reeves over both of them.   One of them only scored about 4 points.
Im not doubting him. The kid can score and I wouldn't mind the Hogs taking a chance on him. I'm just stating on why he isnt higher on the recruiting list, though I think if Gonzaga offers that a pretty darn good offer.

Hunter Mickleson was the same thing. You think he would have been ranked as high if he was 6 inches shorter.

But I'm pretty sure I could come of the top of my head some guys that lit up high school score boards that didn't translate to college on the major D1 level. Again I'd take a shot on Reaves, he's ball player not just some kid that can run and jump higher than everyone.

Eagle20

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 30, 2015, 01:43:01 am

I hate to be rude but you are either on drugs or haven't seen much basketball in your day.  Best guard to come out of MnEA in the last few years including the Jonesboro kids.

Eagle20

Reaves is a lot better athlete than the point guard from NLR nth at is a current Razorback, 5 inches taller, and better ballhandler, and better scorer.  That kid may be a little better defender but not by much.

Sporty

Why the heck would he want to go to AR? They have absolutely nothing to offer him. I love the Hogs but their bb program is in the dumps!
Reaves is an excellent player and will be a huge asset to some program.

BoxNOne

Reaves shoots too good for Arkansas to recruit him. They'd rather have a bunch of guys that can run fast, jump high, miss shots and lose. Also outside of Kentucky, the SEC is not a strong basketball league.

ZoneBuster

Question to all the NEA people. How does he compare athletically to Ky Madden? Because basketball IQ and skill wise I think Reaves has him beat hands down just going off of film. If he can hang athletically, he could really help hogs in future. Madden was a solid contributor despite is bone headednness on and off the court. And he never touched 70 points in a game if I remember correctly against equal competition level.

Longfellow

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 30, 2015, 01:43:01 am

So Reaves is as good as Pete Maravich? I hope you're not serious. What's next? Are you gonna day he is God in disguise?

ricepig

Quote from: RedWolf275 on December 29, 2015, 09:11:53 pm
Quote from: Fred Bird on December 29, 2015, 07:54:45 pm
You're a joke. Anderson has more class than you have in your little finger. I suggest you stop posting before you make even more of a fool of yourself than you already have. Clown

Anderson can't coach his way out of a paper sack. Apparently can't recruit either.
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

MA

I'm going to give one contributing post to this argument and then I am out. I just wanted to congratulate a great kid on a great performance and give you guys the video.

This is what I KNOW. You can take it or leave it. You can question my "sources" if you want to but understand that these are THE sources lol. So if you aren't going to trust that then just stop reading.

Reaves is special. That happens to be my opinion. But it is also the opinion of around 25 D1 coaches that I know and several more that I don't know. Every school that has been listed on here in the past as interested schools are in fact interested school. I will clear up the list of offers and nonoffers at the end of this post because there is a lot of confusion about who has offered and who hasn't and who is most interested. Which is understandable because of twitter and message boards like this one.

These are what REAL LIFE D1 coaches are saying about Reaves. These are opinion just like yours or mine, but they are the opinions of people who get paid to do this and their jobs are on the line with every kid they recruit.

Reaves is a true 1. But obviously can play the 2. a 6'5 (yes its a legit 6'5) PG is very valuable. a combo guard is very valuable. He is a true combo guard. His IQ is off the charts. One coach said Reaves has the highest IQ of any kid they have recruited in the past decade. He handles the ball extremely well for his size. Wichita St coach said Austin is better offensively than Ron Baker is right now. Shoots better, passes better, handles better, and is 2" taller. Some coaches are more worried about his shoulder problem than his weight. weight doesn't scare these coaches like it may have in the past. 2 months in their weight program can literally add 15-20lbs. It happens every year. Prep school has come up a lot. Reasons include getting shoulder fixed, playing better competition, getting stronger, being more ready to play as a freshman. EVERY SINGLE coach thinks Austin is a high major talent. He is just not currently in a high major body and is not currently playing high major competition. Contrary to what many on here are saying, athleticism has not been brought up once aside from one coach who has seen him live said "I was told he may not be athletic enough, that person was very wrong. He is a little stiff, but more than athletic enough to play in our system." Most coaches believe a prep year or a redshirt year are in his future, but don't want to have to play him when he is 19-22.

It has been mentioned once here but you have to remember that this kid is still very young. He still has never shaved his face. He might grow another inch or two. When his shoulder gets fixed he will be able to lift and get stronger. He has never been through a single Skill development workout.... think about that. The kid is still pretty raw. He is working off of pure instinct.

He will end up at the right spot for him. Maybe its high major? maybe its mid major? Regardless, he will end up being a great player at the D1 level. here is the list.

Utah St - offer
Montana St - Offer
South Dakota St - Offer
Arkansas St - Offer
Arkansas
Missouri
Florida St
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Boston College
Wichita St
Gonzaga
Memphis
Clemson
Northeastern
Purdue
North Dakota ST
Virginia
George Mason
Oral Roberts
Stephen F. Austin
Ole Miss
American
Indiana
Texas

The best thing about Reaves is he is humble, an extremely hard worker, great personality, and just an overall great kid from a great family.

I love that we can all have opinions and enjoy talking round ball! Keep at it. I don't post near as often as I used to but I still enjoy reading. Hope everyone can get a chance to see Austin this year. He is the real deal!

WPWells

+1 krik I still don't think he's a 1, but far be it from me to question D1 coaches! I hope he ends up at Arkansas

MA

Lol its tough to see it when he has to score 50 to give his team a chance.

Moonshiner

Quote from: chickasaw fan on December 30, 2015, 01:18:05 am

Some players are discovered pretty late.  I think Coach Richardson found Pat Bradley by accident while watching another kid at an AAU tournament.  Not sure Pat had much of a list. I didn't realize Reeves is so young.  Sounds like he's still growing.  Scottie Pippin was 6'1" when he graduated.  Don't think he was on too many recruiting hot lists either.

sevenof400

This does make me wonder something about the recruiting process - can a coach (school) make a scholarship offer to a player contingent on passing a physical exam?   

Eagle20

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2015, 12:39:00 pm
This does make me wonder something about the recruiting process - can a coach (school) make a scholarship offer to a player contingent on passing a physical exam?
No

BrianfromCarlisle

Just to clarify....it is Davor Rimac.

Moonshiner

BrianfromCarlisle

RedWolf275

December 30, 2015, 11:14:58 pm #88 Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:19:27 pm by RedWolf275
56 more tonight in an 89-84 3ot win over Valley View

NEA Razorback olfan

Watched the entire game and all I can say is wow!!

Moonshiner

Brian from Carlisle what you think?

whippersnapper

Saw on twitter that he had 57, 49, & 56 points within a 72 hour period....incredible!

NEA Razorback olfan

December 31, 2015, 12:58:38 am #92 Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:22:50 am by NEA Razorback olfan
https://vine.co/v/iqPghvxF6lg

Reaves ties it up , sends it to double OT 69-69 with 4 VV players chasing him!!

pioneers

He shattered the all time scoring record for the NEA tournament he scored 191 points in 4 games.

NEA Razorback olfan

Austin Reaves (Cedar Ridge) sets tournament record with 191 points.
29 in Game 1 vs 4A Harrisburg
57 in Game 2 Vs 4A Jonesboro Westside
49 in Game 3 Vs 5A Nettleton
56 in Game 4 vs 5A Valley View Championship game 3ot

MA

I got there at the start of the 4th. He had 22 points and 4 fouls.... Think about that

NEA Razorback olfan

December 31, 2015, 01:32:40 am #96 Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:36:09 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: krik6 on December 31, 2015, 01:24:30 am
I got there at the start of the 4th. He had 22 points and 4 fouls.... Think about that

Just Crazy!!!
They lost Crabtree in first OT I believe and he was having a great game himself!!

smallybells

December 31, 2015, 02:40:49 am #97 Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:20:19 am by smallybells
BHG Kid from last year version 2.

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 31, 2015, 12:26:26 am
Brian from Carlisle what you think?
I think that young man can flat out play some ball!

BoxNOne

Close to 5,000 in attendance on a Wednesday night and a lot of them were there to see Reaves. His performance in this tournament was off the charts.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas