• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A 4 conference ranking

Started by xadboy, December 19, 2015, 05:12:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

xadboy

After everyone has played at least 1 or 2 conference games and seen some of conference foes in a tournament, who do you think ranks best from top to bottom?

My ranks are
1 Charleston
2 Two Rivers
3 Paris
4 Lamar
5 Atkins
6 Booneville
7 Danville

xadboy

Definitely think Ctown is the best. Think Paris and Two Rivers will battle it out for second. Lamar and Atkins should battle it out for the 4th spot. Booneville and Danville have a long way to go to compete for anything.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: xadboy on December 19, 2015, 05:19:24 pm
Definitely think Ctown is the best. Think Paris and Two Rivers will battle it out for second. Lamar and Atkins should battle it out for the 4th spot. Booneville and Danville have a long way to go to compete for anything.

I don't think Ctown is prohibitively better than Two Rivers or Paris, but I'd certainly give them the edge right now. Either could beat Charleston if they are clicking and Fenner has an off night. Atkins and Lamar are both solid and could potentially fight their way up the standings. Booneville is virtually locked into the 6 spot. Clearly better than Danville, but clearly behind the other five teams. Danville, unfortunately, will be lucky to win a game this year after graduating Jay Trusty and Grant Cathey.

Last year I thought Danville was a state tournament quality team that didn't even make it to regionals, and it looks like we'll have a similar situation this year with another very good team ending their season in the district quarterfinals. The 1-West had better watch out, because the 3A-4 conference is good enough to sweep at regionals for a second consecutive year. Not sure it will happen because West Fork, Greenland, and Lavaca are all solid, but the teams coming out of the 4 will be battle-tested for sure. Even the presumed #6 team in the conference, Booneville, will push the teams in this conference.

Longfellow

If Charleston shoots like they did against us or Paris, they will not win

1-Adam-12

December 20, 2015, 08:50:30 am #4 Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:56:49 am by 1-Adam-12
I agree that this is a very strong conference.

As for us, I pretty well know beating C-Town or TR would be a tough ask. Paris probably also.  We would have to play exceptionally well and maybe catch one of them on an off night.

We had one bad quarter (one of two we've had all season) against Lamar which decided that game.  Danville obviously not a great team and we did what we needed to do. Having not seen Atkins I can't judge them but I know they have good young talent.

One thing I can say is we will put points on the board. Our average scoring is much better than at this point last season. And depth is better as well, we can go to that 8th or 9th player and expect him to produce.

xadboy

After watching a few more games I'm inclined to adjust my ranks.

1. Ctown, but just barely above TR. If Ctown doesn't start playing up to potential, then TR will take it.
2. TR see above
3. Lamar, starting to play a lot better as a team. When Kern gets the ball down low he is unstoppable. Overall improving with each game.
4. Paris, don't seem to be as good as originally thought. Gonna have to step up the rest of the way.
5. Atkins, very young but dangerous. Capable of beating anyone, but inexperience hurts
6. Booneville, can be competitive for some time in games,but can't seem to put it together for 4 qts
7. Danville finally got off the winless list, but may be there only win this year

1-Adam-12

I agree with what is said about us.  The Cats seem to have given up that 8-12 point run every game that they lost.  Did it against Danville as well but came right back.  We need to respond more often than we have.

WPWells

Not sure what you mean that Charleston isn't playing up to potential

xadboy

Quote from: Fred Bird on December 31, 2015, 09:49:13 pm
Not sure what you mean that Charleston isn't playing up to potential
The games I've seen has been a struggle for Ctown to play a complete game. Lamar missed 19 free throws and lost by 13. Cut down on the fouls. Still looks like if Fenner is off then Ctown is off. Granted you played higher classification schools but got beat pretty bad. But you did have some others step up when Fenner was off, but it wasn't enough. Guess the best way to put it is that Ctown isn't firing on all cylinders. But if y'all can get all cylinders firing together, then I definitely see Ctown going deep in playoffs.

TRgators11

January 04, 2016, 09:30:20 am #9 Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:32:03 am by TRgators11
Quote from: xadboy on December 31, 2015, 09:14:48 pm

1. Ctown, but just barely above TR. If Ctown doesn't start playing up to potential, then TR will take it.
2. TR see above
3. Lamar, starting to play a lot better as a team. When Kern gets the ball down low he is unstoppable. Overall improving with each game.
4. Paris, don't seem to be as good as originally thought. Gonna have to step up the rest of the way.
5. Atkins, very young but dangerous. Capable of beating anyone, but inexperience hurts
6. Booneville, can be competitive for some time in games,but can't seem to put it together for 4 qts
7. Danville finally got off the winless list, but may be there only win this year
I don't see Lamar beating Two Rivers or even Paris. I'm all for two rivers but after last year, were not taking off on Paris game ... even though we did win a big game against em' at regionals!!! ;) Charleston has the edge but we"ll see this week, i believe Paris goes to Chucktown Friday And Lamar tomorrow. Should be a good one! We'll see what Paris puts out! TR battles for 1st in conference with charleston and paris.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: xadboy on December 31, 2015, 09:14:48 pm

2. TR see above

No offense, but considering Lamar struggled to beat Atkins and Paris led by 23 in the first half and cruised to an easy win, I don't see your rationale in putting Lamar ahead of Paris or making a "don't seem to be as good as originally thought" comment. Lamar may well prove to be the better team, but I don't get the preemptive conclusion that Lamar>Paris considering that Paris:
A) held a 30 point halftime lead on Mulberry who Lamar trailed by 11 at the half and beat by 2
B) Beat County Line twice, including on a neutral court, who beat Lamar by 17 at Lamar
C) Led Atkins 43-20 and went on to win by 20 whereas Lamar won by 4

Now, I'll grant you that those first two were before Kern was back from football. I imagine that mattered largely against County Line since their best player is their center. But there is little to no excuse to trail Mulberry by 11 at halftime. Paris led by 30 at the half. Is Kern worth 41 points? I sure hope he doesn't get in foul trouble then.

But I get it, it's homerism on your part, which is fine, and sour grapes on my part. And you could wind up being right when all is said and done. But that's what makes these discussions great. Lamar has far exceeded my expectations so far. And you're 100% correct, the Warriors seem to be improving every game, which is the mark of a good team. They've gone from being an afterthought to a borderline contender in this conference and no one had better take them lightly.

I'm deeply saddened that we don't get to settle this on court today, but more so because of the cause of the delay than the delay itself. We'll be praying for you here in Paris. It's moments like this that should remind us that, despite all the chatter and feigned importance we put on in posts like this, on sites like this, at the end of the day it's just a game, and there are far more genuinely important things in life. I believe I speak for everyone in wishing the great community of Lamar comfort and peace in these unfortunate times.

xadboy

Thanks eaglestrong for your kind comments and support. It is so true that sometimes people forget that these are kids playing a game.

xadboy

Here is my reasons for making Lamar a 3 in our conference. Once football was done we gained 3 players that are making an impact and improving with each game. We played our first 4 games without them. What we gained was three bigs with Kern being the best. With that being said, I believe as the more practice and games played Lamar is going to do nothing but get better

xadboy

My new rankings

1 Ctown
2 Lamar
3 Paris
4 Two Rivers
5 Atkins
6 Booneville
7 Danville

WPWells

One game doesn't affect the rankings that much. Lamar, TR, and Paris all have a loss right now

xadboy

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 09, 2016, 06:37:25 am
One game doesn't affect the rankings that much. Lamar, TR, and Paris all have a loss right now
Ok, of Lamar, Paris and Two Rivers who is playing better ball?

Black and Gold

tiger2016

1. Charleston
2. Paris
3. Lamar
4. Two Rivers
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

I believe Paris-Charleston @ Paris will be the game that decides this district. Two Rivers to me is like a roller coaster. Lamar with their physical play will get them far. Paris is the second best team in this conference because they are a balanced team. Charleston doesn't have the most athleticism in this conference, but are more connected as a team and can shoot the ball really well and usually wins the rebounding edge which is key. Paris @ Lamar will be a good game on Saturday, but I believe Paris takes it by 4. Charleston-Two Rivers on friday will be determined down in the post. Luckily our 1-2 punch of Fenner and Ewing was enough when our posts only scored 9 points in Friday's game combined. Hampton, Wade and Ward all should have an advantage on the boards. Hampton and Ward should be able to dish out 8-12 points each.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: tiger2016 on January 11, 2016, 06:12:05 pm
1. Charleston
2. Paris
3. Lamar
4. Two Rivers
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

I believe Paris-Charleston @ Paris will be the game that decides this district. Two Rivers to me is like a roller coaster. Lamar with their physical play will get them far. Paris is the second best team in this conference because they are a balanced team. Charleston doesn't have the most athleticism in this conference, but are more connected as a team and can shoot the ball really well and usually wins the rebounding edge which is key. Paris @ Lamar will be a good game on Saturday, but I believe Paris takes it by 4. Charleston-Two Rivers on friday will be determined down in the post. Luckily our 1-2 punch of Fenner and Ewing was enough when our posts only scored 9 points in Friday's game combined. Hampton, Wade and Ward all should have an advantage on the boards. Hampton and Ward should be able to dish out 8-12 points each.

Agreed. As for Paris-Lamar, I'm interested in how Paris attacks their 2-3 zone. Last season, the Eagles inexplicably struggled against zone defenses, despite a pair of great shooters in Fenner and Fitzjurls. They've learned to attack zones much more effectively, but that's been against 1-3-1 and matchup zones. The only 2-3 they've faced so far was Sallisaw I believe. That game they were without Nehus, and Sallisaw is pretty bad. It'll be interesting to see if they can get Hampton going in that game.

For Charleston-Two Rivers, I want to see how Charleston defends the dribble-drive from Whitlow and Yates. Two Rivers doesn't have the pick-and-roll game that gave Charleston fits in the second half against Paris, but their guards are dynamic.

xadboy

Wow, didn't see Ctown losing like they did. Some big games coming up in the next two weeks. Big game Monday night with Paris coming to Lamar. Winner of that one takes a big step towards a conference title. Then Friday night Two Rivers and Lamar battle with Lamar being at home. The following week we have Lamar at Paris and Friday night Ctown comes to Lamar. Conference champs should be determined in the next two weeks. Lamar seems to be sitting in the best position if they get by Paris Monday night with the schedule they have. Paris and Two Rivers have to play each other twice and still have to play Ctown once. Ctown has both Paris and Lamar on the road with a home game vs Two Rivers. With all that in consideration here are my new rankings.

1. Lamar
2. Paris
3. Two Rivers
4. Charleston
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

Looks like an exciting two weeks. Can anyone argue with my rationale?

WPWells

Yes because Charleston beat your #1 and #2

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 15, 2016, 11:33:18 pm
Yes because Charleston beat your #1 and #2

Yeah, that's wonky, but after tonight I have no idea how to rank the teams. Paris is at Lamar on Monday and at Two Rivers on Tuesday. Those will help clear things up somewhat.

cdelaney

Quote from: xadboy on January 15, 2016, 11:20:03 pm
Wow, didn't see Ctown losing like they did. Some big games coming up in the next two weeks. Big game Monday night with Paris coming to Lamar. Winner of that one takes a big step towards a conference title. Then Friday night Two Rivers and Lamar battle with Lamar being at home. The following week we have Lamar at Paris and Friday night Ctown comes to Lamar. Conference champs should be determined in the next two weeks. Lamar seems to be sitting in the best position if they get by Paris Monday night with the schedule they have. Paris and Two Rivers have to play each other twice and still have to play Ctown once. Ctown has both Paris and Lamar on the road with a home game vs Two Rivers. With all that in consideration here are my new rankings.

1. Lamar
2. Paris
3. Two Rivers
4. Charleston
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

Nope

The Dynasty

1. Lamar
2. Paris
3. Two Rivers
4. Charleston
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

Charleston wins this conference. Paris very well will have 3 losses by this time next week. We've already beaten Lamar twice(1 non conference.) TR will struggle winning away from their place. So basically I think you rationale isn't very rational.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 16, 2016, 12:01:19 am

1. Lamar
2. Paris
3. Two Rivers
4. Charleston
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

Charleston wins this conference. Paris very well will have 3 losses by this time next week. We've already beaten Lamar twice(1 non conference.) TR will struggle winning away from their place. So basically I think you rationale isn't very rational.

You do know you still have games at Lamar and at Paris, right? And if Lamar indeed does beat Paris next week as you so confidently predict, then that means that you have to win at Lamar or the Warriors win the conference, something you failed to do last year. I still consider Charleston the favorite personally, but it is by no means the prohibitive favorite. I just find it to be a strange amount of self-assuredness for a team that just lost by 20+.

The Dynasty

Quote from: #EagleStrong on January 16, 2016, 12:11:57 am
Quote from: The Dynasty on January 16, 2016, 12:01:19 am

1. Lamar
2. Paris
3. Two Rivers
4. Charleston
5. Atkins
6. Booneville
7. Danville

You do know you still have games at Lamar and at Paris, right? And if Lamar indeed does beat Paris next week as you so confidently predict, then that means that you have to win at Lamar or the Warriors win the conference, something you failed to do last year. I still consider Charleston the favorite personally, but it is by no means the prohibitive favorite. I just find it to be a strange amount of self-assuredness for a team that just lost by 20+.
I'm well aware. Just remember what I told you.

xadboy

The reason for ranking them was basically due to each ones remaining schedule. Lamar has 4 games remaining against teams with losing records (Danville twice, Booneville at home, Atkins on road). Lamar's other remaining games are Paris, Two Rivers and Ctown at home with 1 game @ Paris. So if Lamar takes care of the games we should win and win remaining home games that puts us at 10-1 win or lose @ Paris and I like our chances to win conference. That puts Paris with at least 2 losses, TR with 2 losses (both to Lamar), Ctown with 2 losses. But not all will have 2 losses as TR, Paris and Ctown still have games against each other. With that being said, Lamar still has to do its part. Lose Monday to Paris and it puts Paris in the best position. It should clear up a little more by the end of next week.

WPWells

I love how you have Charleston as a game you should win. You've lost to Charleston twice, but don't let facts get in the way

The Dynasty

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 16, 2016, 08:01:45 am
I love how you have Charleston as a game you should win. You've lost to Charleston twice, but don't let facts get in the way

BINGO!

xadboy

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 16, 2016, 08:43:13 am

BINGO!
Lamar is a different team from when you played them. They have improved vastly since then. Ctown loses badly at TR and Lamar wins at TR. Like I said, we have to do our part by winning. IMO Lamar has the easiest schedule.

WPWells

Again, don't let facts get in the way of your nice story

HorseFeathers

Quote from: xadboy on January 16, 2016, 09:47:26 am
Quote from: The Dynasty on January 16, 2016, 08:43:13 am

BINGO!
Lamar is a different team from when you played them. They have improved vastly since then. Ctown loses badly at TR and Lamar wins at TR. Like I said, we have to do our part by winning. IMO Lamar has the easiest schedule.

Two rivers is inconsistent though....probably aren't many teams that would have beat them last night. Just hearing a little bit about the Lamar game makes me wonder how much they got caught looking ahead/being to comfortable with a double digit lead at half...

That said I'll get my first look at Lamar Friday night, maybe Paris on Tuesday if the work on my car gets done today...

HorseFeathers

When/where was the second game?

First game could probably be justified away like you guys are trying to do with the manhandling the tigers took last night in Plainview, but I haven't found anything on thebsecond gsme?

fbisgreat

Charleston beat Lamar in the finals of the  Scanton toun.And one week later at CHS.

WPWells

I haven't tried to justify last night's loss...

#EagleStrong

Normally I would be all for this back to back, and I'd interject to make a case for my Eagles, but right now I just have no idea what to make of the conference. So, I'm just going to wait for Monday and Tuesday when Paris plays at Lamar and at Two Rivers. If Paris finds a way to win both, unlikely given the way they played this week and how well their opponents are playing, then Paris and Charleston will control their own destiny and that Feb. 5 showdown will be epic. It's worth noting that on Friday Paris has a crossover game with Lavaca, currently leading the 1-West at 5-0. Next week is a brutal stretch for the Eagles.

Black and Gold

The thing about Charleston is consistency. If we can play up to potential every single game, then we have the team to go far. However, the Tigers have not showed the consistency needed to be a great team. My two cents.

xadboy

January 16, 2016, 12:08:52 pm #37 Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:15:21 pm by xadboy
Quote from: #EagleStrong on January 16, 2016, 11:26:13 am
Normally I would be all for this back to back, and I'd interject to make a case for my Eagles, but right now I just have no idea what to make of the conference. So, I'm just going to wait for Monday and Tuesday when Paris plays at Lamar and at Two Rivers. If Paris finds a way to win both, unlikely given the way they played this week and how well their opponents are playing, then Paris and Charleston will control their own destiny and that Feb. 5 showdown will be epic. It's worth noting that on Friday Paris has a crossover game with Lavaca, currently leading the 1-West at 5-0. Next week is a brutal stretch for the Eagles.
Agree with you, as I said if Paris wins Monday night then it puts Paris in the catbird's seat.

Fred stewie 12th bird, yes you did beat us twice about a month ago. Since you beat us @ Ctown, we've been doing nothing but getting better as a team. Remember the Scranton tourney, we struggled to beat Atkins by 2 points. But when we played Atkins this past week we dominated from start to finish, winning by 20+. And when we played Ctown in the finals, we lost by 12 points. In that game we missed 19 free throws with some of those being the front of 1 and 1's. When we played you a week after the first time, we lost by 13 in a pretty ugly game. But in that game we missed 16 free throws. Since that game we have improved our free throws, 16 out of 20 against Atkins. So yeah you beat us twice, but neither one was dominant. So if you want to compare games from then to now, we can do that. We beat Atkins by 2 then, we beat Atkins by 21 now. Ctown beat us by 12 and 13 then, so using the trend, we will beat Ctown by 7 or 8 points.

If you want to compare games now, we beat TR by 7 at TR. TR just best you by 26 at TR. So do you notice a trend here? Lamar has improved vastly while Ctown seems to be stuck in first gear.

xadboy

Agree with black and gold. Just like I've said in other posts, Ctown has a lot of potential but can't seem to put it all together. If Ctown can find a way to fire on all cylinders then look out. But right now just not firing on all cylinders.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Black and Gold on January 16, 2016, 11:36:10 am
The thing about Charleston is consistency. If we can play up to potential every single game, then we have the team to go far. However, the Tigers have not showed the consistency needed to be a great team. My two cents.

I can agree, seemed like last night they got a bit frustrated early, and just never got going..

xadboy

So we got the first one out of the way. Danville tomorrow night, should be a win. Hope we don't overlook them. Then the rematch with TR come Friday.
Be interested to see how TR and Paris play against each other tomorrow night. Who will step it up in that game.

The Dynasty

I wouldn't be surprised if Paris beats TR tonight. TR is coming off a game they not only had circled since the schedules came out but they went out a dominated it. If they have a let down against Paris they will be on the short end of the stick.

xadboy

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 19, 2016, 08:28:04 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Paris beats TR tonight. TR is coming off a game they not only had circled since the schedules came out but they went out a dominated it. If they have a let down against Paris they will be on the short end of the stick.
Good call on the Paris/TR game Dynasty.

xadboy

The way things are shaping up, it looks like Lamar and Ctown are heading to a big showdown next Friday that could decide the conference championship. As long as both hold serve the next two games. Lamar has the tougher of the 2. Lamar has TR at home and Paris on the road. Ctown only is off until they play Atkins at home on Tuesday. Can't wait to see how things turn out.

The Dynasty

Quote from: xadboy on January 20, 2016, 12:39:42 am
The way things are shaping up, it looks like Lamar and Ctown are heading to a big showdown next Friday that could decide the conference championship. As long as both hold serve the next two games. Lamar has the tougher of the 2. Lamar has TR at home and Paris on the road. Ctown only is off until they play Atkins at home on Tuesday. Can't wait to see how things turn out.

Charleston actually has Danville Friday and Atkins Tuesday. With that being said we should win those games. Lamar playing those 3 back to back to back is crazy. Looking forward to that game Friday.

Unless I'm mistaken I think the Lamar/Charleston game is Thursday next week. Can you confirm?

The Dynasty

Quote from: xadboy on January 20, 2016, 12:27:47 am
Quote from: The Dynasty on January 19, 2016, 08:28:04 am
Good call on the Paris/TR game Dynasty.

Sun shines on a dogs hindend ever now and then!!!!!

BigMan15

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 20, 2016, 08:20:06 am
Quote from: xadboy on January 20, 2016, 12:39:42 am

Charleston actually has Danville Friday and Atkins Tuesday. With that being said we should win those games. Lamar playing those 3 back to back to back is crazy. Looking forward to that game Friday.

Unless I'm mistaken I think the Lamar/Charleston game is Thursday next week. Can you confirm?
Its on the schedule as Thursday because for some reason Jr High plays at Paris on Friday the 29th

WPWells

pioneers

Fred who owns the tie breaker rite now with ctown Lamar and two rivers

The Dynasty

Quote from: pioneers on January 20, 2016, 10:28:09 am
Fred who owns the tie breaker rite now with ctown Lamar and two rivers

Charleston does.

Paris and TR have 2 conference losses.
Charleston and Lamar both have 1 but Charleston has beaten them head to head.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas