• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

.Manila

Started by Head Lion, October 18, 2015, 09:43:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ISU7

Quote from: luxora4life on December 21, 2015, 08:57:22 pm
Quote from: ISU7 on December 21, 2015, 06:22:23 pm
Is this about basketball or Jeopardy. My goodness. All these schools claim to be powerhouses,  but what team has been more consistent in the past years in football and basketball even won state title in both but isn't always on here claiming to be a dynasty.  8)

The answer would be:  Who is Rivercrest.  I'll take..... the best player in the conference for 300 Alex.
That's the Daily Double....lol 8)

Head Lion

Manila loses 50-46 to 5A going to 6A Nettleton after leading 22-17 at half.

NEA Razorback olfan

I thought Manila played extreamly hard and outplayed Nettleton for most of the game. Good game Lions!!

Head Lion

Thank NEA, our kids always compete. Started 3 sophs, a JR & a Sr. Played 13 kids with only 2 being Srs. They only going to get better.

RedWolf275

Lion, great effort by Manila tonight. To be outsized as bad as they were, the Lions played good D and battled on the boards. Only thing was offensively they were pretty much a one man gang.but I haven't seen them play except for tonight so it may have been a one game thing. Good job by Manila.

Head Lion

Thanks RW, their length kept a hand in our perimeter shooters face most of the night & our inside game is slowly coming along, but we're in held in check by their length. Playing with a bunch of babies, should just continue to get better.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Head Lion on December 26, 2015, 08:13:42 pm
Thank NEA, our kids always compete. Started 3 sophs, a JR & a Sr. Played 13 kids with only 2 being Srs. They only going to get better.
[/quote

Enjoyed watching the hustle and the fight the young Lions brought tonight!!
Future looks bright for the Lions!!!
Best of luck in conference and post season!!!

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on December 26, 2015, 07:12:00 pm
Classification doesn't mean much in this state. Cedar Ridge use to dominate bigger schools and they were 2A.  ;D 8)

OB11

Quote from: ISU7 on December 27, 2015, 08:32:53 am
Classification doesn't mean much in this state. Cedar Ridge use to dominate bigger schools and they were 2A.  ;D 8)

I'll agree with that for basketball.  There are a lot of smaller schools with great basketball players and coaches.  You can find some really good small school programs that can compete with bigger schools in Arkansas. 

Head Lion

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on December 27, 2015, 01:08:09 pm

I'll agree with that for basketball.  There are a lot of smaller schools with great basketball players and coaches.  You can find some really good small school programs that can compete with bigger schools in Arkansas.
Ok guys, lets line up 100 kids, I get to pick 80 and you get to pick 20. Most times the person who gets to pick 80 wins. I guess that why ECS hasn't lost to a 3A school in 2 years, only larger schools. Yes some small schools can compete, they usually have an advantage, kinda like half their team team didn't go to elementary at that school they just magically found their way there.

bdubyab60

Little point guard got in the paint all night against nettleton but couldn't convert over the length they had. It hurt them on the boards too. Manila is a talented team but overall size hurt them. Nettleton blocked a lot of shots. Was impressed with 4 from Manila but even he struggled once he got in the paint.

Basketball is the one sport where I think the playing field is a little more even between larger schools and smaller schools. Though the larger schools tend to have more size on their teams. But it's not unusual for a smaller schools to knock off a larger school on the basketball court

Head Lion

Thanks Bdub, got a little height coming in some young kids. It was good to see the Malone kid back on the floor for yall, he is just one of those type "glue" kids, that all good teams have.

bdubyab60

He does all the small things. Gets in there and battles on the boards hustles all the time. Gives us another shooter too.

Real deal

Quote from: Head Lion on December 27, 2015, 01:39:50 pm

Ok guys, lets line up 100 kids, I get to pick 80 and you get to pick 20. Most times the person who gets to pick 80 wins. I guess that why ECS hasn't lost to a 3A school in 2 years, only larger schools. Yes some small schools can compete, they usually have an advantage, kinda like half their team team didn't go to elementary at that school they just magically found their way there.

Head lion,let me preface this with saying I respect you and I respect the Manila program.  I also absolutely love your coach!!  He is the kind of 30 ish to 40 ish coach everyone should be trying to hire.  Now, knowing the game like I know you do, please don't try to sugar coat losses because of youth?  Your bigger than that, going by your logic in the loss to Nettleton your win over BIC is diminished which it obviously is not, because you seldom defeat BIC.  Also, I might have missed it but I saw where you commented where you want to win with only "Manila" kids and you were asked how long do they have to be in Manila to be considered "Manila kids" many times you have referenced your young talent and also the talent your are getting year by year from your growth.  So which is it?  Point I'm trying to make is I respect the heck out of you, don't call your kids babies and don't use the bigger school excuse, you are better than that.  If your old enough to be on the team then your the team, if you move into Manila school district, then your a Manila lion
1 semester or for life?  You have a better basketball team than Nettleton but you got beat.  Again I post this with all due respect to you, your program, but most of all your coach.  He is the real deal. 

#EagleStrong

I've been high on Manila for a while. Youth is one thing, but yeah, classification size is very overrated. Beating Bay or Guy-Perkins in 1A would be a much better win than beating a lot of 5A or even some 6A teams. If I recall correctly, last year 2A Clarendon handily beat eventual 5A champion LR McClellan, and my Eagles beat 6A semifinalist Alma without our all-conference post player who was out with a wrist injury. It's not football, the gap in small schools and big schools isn't all that great really.

Head Lion

Real, I think part of my frustration goes with the NEA & the seeding process. 2 coaches voted us next to last & 2nd from the bottom. What country are they from? As far as young, we are & will get younger probably in postseason as Birmingham & Lopez move up. We are a growing school district, one of the few from a Delta county. We do not actively go recruit players like some do & if you know our program that is the truth. Sadly, I can not say that about some of our more successful local programs. With a 5-7% growth each year, we do get a player occasionally, our FB program is & will show that much more in the future. If we did recruit, I would go get Coach Fowler some help in girls, lord knows we could use it. Coach Lee is awesome as you have mentioned, his best trait is loyalty. We could have went "looking" for a post, to go with all our guards. That is not the way he does things, you work hard & stay committed you get your chance with him. I think that admirable. I do feel we will improve as the kids grow, get bigger & stronger. Lastly on the NEA, I venture to say last night was our last game. We will either host our own holiday classic with 4 top local teams & bring 4 in or go to one of the many that have been making great offers for us to come & bring a large fan crowd. Wasn't trying to make excuses, so peace & appreciate your observation.

RedWolf275

How come Manila and Bay don't play during the season. Pretty short trip.

Head Lion

December 27, 2015, 08:08:14 pm #67 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:15:23 pm by Head Lion
Have no earthly idea, we did some as late as a couple years ago. They were always good intense games. Sounds like a good idea RW, I will get after Lee & Brad about making it happen. We do have fewer choices in non conference with FB, but shouldn't be that hard to work out.

NEA Razorback olfan

December 27, 2015, 08:41:34 pm #68 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:45:11 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
HL ,
If I remember correctly Brookland had been out of the NEA tourney about 5-7years.
We went to the Medallion Classic in Newport a couple of years then ended up at the Beebe Christmas Tourney. It's a three game guarantee with a lot of teams we wouldn't get to schedule playing.
Our girls won it in 2 years ago. Upsetting Beebe in the finals.
Our girls play 7A Bryant at 10:30
And boys take on 6A Marion 12:00 tomorrow

ISU7

No doubt... 8)

ISU7

Quote from: #EagleStrong on December 27, 2015, 07:35:30 pm
I've been high on Manila for a while. Youth is one thing, but yeah, classification size is very overrated. Beating Bay or Guy-Perkins in 1A would be a much better win than beating a lot of 5A or even some 6A teams. If I recall correctly, last year 2A Clarendon handily beat eventual 5A champion LR McClellan, and my Eagles beat 6A semifinalist Alma without our all-conference post player who was out with a wrist injury. It's not football, the gap in small schools and big schools isn't all that great really.
They also beat 6A champions Pine Bluff. 8)

Head Lion

Quote from: ISU7 on December 28, 2015, 02:27:13 pm
Yea and we beat Rivercrest in football, every dog has its day. 8) ;D 8)

ISU7

December 28, 2015, 03:41:36 pm #72 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:44:46 pm by ISU7
Quote from: Head Lion on December 28, 2015, 02:47:44 pm
Quote from: ISU7 on December 28, 2015, 02:27:13 pm
Yea and we beat Rivercrest in football, every dog has its day. 8) ;D 8)
Good for ya'll. unfortunately Manila and Crest or both 3A  :o :o If only Manila could've beat Smackover. ;D ;D Every team around here dreams of beating RiverCrest, it makes their season, but the Crest always seems to be the one to move on too the Championship,like they did this season, and other teams around here get to use the we beat RiverCrest to feel like they accomplished something. It's great to be the measuring stick. ;D ;D 8) Even when they finished third behind Manila and Earle they still won State in BB.

Head Lion

Lions go to 12-4 & 3-1 in conference with a 61-53 win over Piggott.

Head Lion

Lions move to 16-4 & 6-1 in conference with 2 mercy rule wins over Corning & Hoxie the last 2 nights. Big O comes to town Friday night for Homceoming.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Head Lion on January 27, 2016, 08:11:42 pm
Lions move to 16-4 & 6-1 in conference with 2 mercy rule wins over Corning & Hoxie the last 2 nights. Big O comes to town Friday night for Homceoming.

HL,
That should be a good one!!

Head Lion

Yep, Jr Lions move to 17-2 with mercy rule win last 2 nights as well.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Head Lion on January 27, 2016, 08:25:29 pm
Yep, Jr Lions move to 17-2 with mercy rule win last 2 nights as well.

Congrats!!
Y'all Got Some players will help that Sr high I believe!!

Head Lion

Some bad news for Lions, lost super soph Joel Burrow with bubble fracture, out 3-4 weeks. Might have to take the redshirt of one for the Big O Friday night.

Hornet guy

Hope all goes well for him and quick recovery for him . I always enjoy watching Manila play they play hard for there coach .

Head Lion

3A3 Conference Champs

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on January 28, 2016, 12:44:05 am
Some bad news for Lions, lost super soph Joel Burrow with bubble fracture, out 3-4 weeks. Might have to take the redshirt of one for the Big O Friday night.
Didn't Burrow play tonight. Congratulations Manila Lions. Well coached basketball team. 

pioneers

Quote from: ISU7 on February 05, 2016, 09:39:35 pm
Quote from: Head Lion on January 28, 2016, 12:44:05 am
Didn't Burrow play tonight. Congratulations Manila Lions. Well coached basketball team.
He played about 90 seconds but couldn't be effective. He will be fine for districts.

Head Lion

A lil, he is still not 60-70%. Rivercrest is the most improved team in the state, to bad their administration has no control over their fans. My wife was hit in the head by a bottle tonight & their admin found it amusing. Really disappointed in their leadership.

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on February 05, 2016, 09:44:39 pm
A lil, he is still not 60-70%. Rivercrest is the most improved team in the state, to bad their administration has no control over their fans. My wife was hit in the head by a bottle tonight & their admin found it amusing. Really disappointed in their leadership.
wow I didn't see that. With all the flopping the Lions were doing on defense and getting the calls. I left the gym  with the Colts down 3 and 2:46 left in the game. On my behalf I'm really sorry some on e hit your wife in the head there's no excuse for that.  Congratulations to Manila on their conference championship, . Good luck in the post season. 😎

Head Lion

They also broke the janitors door, busted a fire hydrant & dumped trash in the coaches office. Their will be a bill for the door replacement, I promise. What happen to the days of Rick Wilson & the Colts winning & doing it with class???

ISU7

February 05, 2016, 10:21:25 pm #86 Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:00:30 pm by ISU7
Quote from: Head Lion on February 05, 2016, 09:57:42 pm
They also broke the janitors door, busted a fire hydrant & dumped trash in the coaches office. Their will be a bill for the door replacement, I promise. What happen to the days of Rick Wilson & the Colts winning & doing it with class???
The bottle that hit yo wife was slam down when a Colt player miss a dunk at the end of the game. Plus why do your wife set right in the middle of the Colts fans.on the visitor side every game we play at Manila uncalled for.

Head Lion

She does not have the right to sit where she wants? Remember Rosa Parks? What's the excuse for the door & the fire hydrant?

ISU7

Quote from: Head Lion on February 05, 2016, 10:25:42 pm
She does not have the right to sit where she wants? Remember Rosa Parks? What's the excuse for the door & the fire hydrant?
I don't think Rosa Parks was at this game. So did your wife go to jail after the game. Rosa Parks surely did. So their was no reason to bring that up. True colors starting to come out now. I'm done before I get banned. 

pioneers

Quote from: ISU7 on February 05, 2016, 10:21:25 pm
oh wait a minute. I guess you didn't hear about coach Wimberly telling two of our players after the game telling them to get their sorry MF 's A#& out of our gym. Also the bottle that hit yo wife was slam down when a Colt player miss a dunk at the end of the game. Plus why do your wife set right in the middle of the Colts fans.on the visitor side every game we play at Manila uncalled for.
How do you know he said that? You left the game early? I can 100% guarantee you that he didn't say that.

Head Lion

She didn't go to jail, she was being attened to by a medic at a dang basketball game!

ISU7

Quote from: pioneers on February 05, 2016, 10:38:12 pm
oh wait a minute. I guess you didn't hear about coach Wimberly telling two of our players after the game telling them to get their sorry MF 's A#& out of our gym. Also the bottle that hit yo wife was slam down when a Colt player miss a dunk at the end of the game. Plus why do your wife set right in the middle of the Colts fans.on the visitor side every game we play at Manila uncalled for.
How do you know he said that? You left the game early? I can 100% guarantee you that he didn't say that.
The same way you knew where Rosa Parks set and you wasn't there.  Oh he said it. Its cool though.  Manila act like their coaches and kids can do no wrong, but When they Lost to Earle in State their fans where hollering the N word and the coach lost his cool and the team was put on probation. If you wanna talk. about class remember when the 2010State Champions Colts football team was up 42-00 at Manila but they decided to let the young man in a wheelchair score a td and erase their shutout. The kid basically got famous behind that. Now that's CLASS.

Head Lion

Quote from: ISU7 on February 05, 2016, 10:55:24 pm
Quote from: pioneers on February 05, 2016, 10:38:12 pm
The same way you knew where Rosa Parks set and you wasn't there.  Oh he said it. Its cool though.  Manila act like their coaches and kids can do no wrong, but When they Lost to Earle in State their fans where hollering the N word and the coach lost his cool and the team was put on probation. If you wanna talk. about class remember when the 2010State Champions Colts football team was up 42-00 at Manila but they decided to let the young man in a wheelchair score a td and erase their shutout. The kid basically got famous behind that. Now that's CLASS.
Exactly correct ISU, those young men were class personified! Where has it went in what I have always considered a great school?

Head Lion

My last statement on this, I have always considered Rivercrest a great school & rooted for them to have success when not playing us. Next time one of their fans hits my wife in the head with a bottle, I am going to turn her loose & who ever did it ain't going like it.

Coltfan33

Quote from: Head Lion on February 05, 2016, 10:40:10 pm
She didn't go to jail, she was being attened to by a medic at a dang basketball game!
she was getting attended by a medic for getting hit in the head S
with a water bottle?

NEA Razorback olfan

This is Sad, society has gotten used to justifying doing wrong.

luxora4life

Stop it. Your to old for that.

ISU7

February 05, 2016, 11:30:28 pm #97 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:32:51 pm by ISU7
Quote from: Coltfan33 on February 05, 2016, 11:13:28 pm
she was getting attended by a medic for getting hit in the head S
with a water bottle?
A empty plastic bottle that was slam (when Carl Williams missed that dunk late in the game ) down on the bleachers seats on the visitors side with her sitting amidst all those cheering Colts fans. Unfortunately the person that slam the lethal light weight plastic bottle wasn't black.Sorry.  now you can reply and act like color didn't matter. 👀👀 SMH.

Head Lion

Then at least he or she could have been adult enough to apologized, agreed?

luxora4life

February 05, 2016, 11:33:02 pm #99 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:47:02 pm by luxora4life
Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on February 05, 2016, 11:14:22 pm
This is Sad, society has gotten used to justifying doing wrong.

Actually the bottle that a junior high girl drop after she jumped up for the fail dunk attempt by #31 landed in front of her and flipped about 8 row Down behind his wife. It didn't hit her at all.  Plus a empty plastic pop bottle wouldn't need medical intention.  She is involve in an altercation every time rivercrest plays Manila. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas