• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Playoff and Conf brackets?

Started by Coltfan2005, July 24, 2016, 05:37:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltfan2005

Cedarville made it into the 2015 state playoffs with a 2-8 record. Other teams in 3A have done the same, so isn't time for the Superintendents to develop testicles and tell AAA that enough is enough? It can't be all about money, at some point it should be about the kids and the actual sport. A 2-8 team does not need to be in the playoffs, just to have their team embarrassed in the first round.

Why not use a common sense approach? If money is so important  remember you have 57 teams, change it to 14 conf's with 4 teams in each. Each team will have 7 non-conf games from which 4 must be 3A teams from other conf's, 2 must be from higher conf's, 1 can be (but does not have to be) a game against a 2A team. That's 10 games for each team, with the teams being able to select closer opponents instead of driving three hours for a conf game. For example, Rivercrest could be in a conf with Osceola and Walnut Ridge. They could play Gosnell, Valley View for their higher conf games, EPC for the 2A, Piggott, Corning, Hoxie, and Manila for 3A non conf games. All within 1 hour of Rivercrest.

For playoffs you send two teams from each conf. The conf champ and #2. EXCEPT..each year you allow 4 3rd place conf teams to enter the tournament. Not by record, not by 3 different ones per year, but by getting all 3rd place coaches together and simply draw a marble from a container...first 4 red marbles go to the playoffs. (all the rest of the marbles are blue). No one argues about records, strength of schedule, it's all down to the draw. These 3rd seeds keep the brackets even, that's their only function.

For those who say playing three conf games will be ridiculous, did I mention that the 4 non-conf opponents (3A schools)  would count as conf wins and loses? There you are with 7 games to decide each conf champ, with only 4 teams in the conf.

I'm sure there are better ideas out there, but this could save travel time and keep good teams from staying home because of the strength of their conf while 2-8 teams go to the playoffs.

Head Lion

Some good ideas, CF2005. I'm just ready for cooler weather and some football.

WHITEchicken

or they could jut cut out the 5 seed. some conferences 4 seed could actually win some games in  the playoffs.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: WHITEchicken on July 24, 2016, 05:48:23 pm
or they could jut cut out the 5 seed. some conferences 4 seed could actually win some games in  the playoffs.

true

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas