• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

congratulations to Osceola for putting the kids first

Started by Missco, June 28, 2016, 08:40:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Lion

Quote from: jr17 on July 13, 2016, 11:38:43 am
Nicest facility in NEA in 3A? Or all classes? I'd have to see it to believe it.
Jr, we understand Mayflower is the best at everything with the best of everything.

jr17

HL I'm pretty sure I never mentioned mayflower. I was simply asking a question. Mayflowers football facility is sub par at best. As will be the football team this year. So please, try again.

ISU7

Quote from: Missco on July 02, 2016, 08:06:27 am
Education is important that is why school's exsist. However, I am a realist. Those list's and test score's do not mean a whole lot. Test scores are directly related to socio economic's. My child would get the same education at Osceola, Rivercrest, Armorel, Blytheville, Gosnell or Manila. The Osceola community cares just as much about education as any other community. It is funny that when a predominantly black school builds facility's that they aren't putting education first. Just my thoughts.
Exactly. It never fails. Good luck to our South Mississippi Co rivals Osceola Seminoles. 🏈🏀⚾🎾🙏👈

birddawg1986

Looks like the the dozer was scrapping/leveling the football field yesterday. Thats what I call getting on the J...O...B...!!!

Paperman

Okay folks. Osceola constructed a new elementary school (Carroll Smith Elementary) campus a few years ago, closing two aging elementary campuses in the process. They have recently renovated an adjacent former junior high campus, which houses the district Alternative Learning School and can e used to house new students if the elementary campus gets overcrowded. Osceola has also just spent money renovating heating and air, lighting, and other aspects at all of its other three campuses. Academic scores in Osceola have been steadily rising the last few years and outpace other neighboring districts in some cases. This is the districts first major improvement in the area of athletics other than striping the gym floor and painting the walls in that facility. The new arena has many more uses than just being a basketball gym. The resurfacing of the track will be of great benefit to the track program at the school and schools in the area which currently have to travel 70 or more miles to compete. The new turf field and improved lighting will be the first improvements to Seminole Stadium since it was built in the 1970s. I applaud the voters of Osceola for taking this step. I am one as well and I voted for this mileage. Thanks for reading my friends.

WPWells

Quote from: Paperman on August 10, 2016, 06:25:22 pm
Okay folks. Osceola constructed a new elementary school (Carroll Smith Elementary) campus a few years ago, closing two aging elementary campuses in the process. They have recently renovated an adjacent former junior high campus, which houses the district Alternative Learning School and can e used to house new students if the elementary campus gets overcrowded. Osceola has also just spent money renovating heating and air, lighting, and other aspects at all of its other three campuses. Academic scores in Osceola have been steadily rising the last few years and outpace other neighboring districts in some cases. This is the districts first major improvement in the area of athletics other than striping the gym floor and painting the walls in that facility. The new arena has many more uses than just being a basketball gym. The resurfacing of the track will be of great benefit to the track program at the school and schools in the area which currently have to travel 70 or more miles to compete. The new turf field and improved lighting will be the first improvements to Seminole Stadium since it was built in the 1970s. I applaud the voters of Osceola for taking this step. I am one as well and I voted for this mileage. Thanks for reading my friends.

+1 thanks for the background instead of shooting back at the skeptics

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Paperman on August 10, 2016, 06:25:22 pm

Comparing each aspect of the school report card, Osceola dropped in every core subject in 2014 from 2013, and again in 2015. The new Elementary school was opened in 2012 and it effectively ended the progress that West Elementary had made. That school was named Exemplary by the Board of Education in 2011, one of only three schools in the entire state. The consolidation was hotly opposed by a large percentage of the parents whose kids went there.........in your unnecessary explanation you have omitted some things. Was it not just last year they were taken off the financial distress list by the state? And their academic scores have not been improving each year.
Having said that, Osceola has not spent near the amount of money on athletic programs or construction that other 3A schools have. Perhaps the indoor facility left a bad taste in some peoples mouths. The school district HAS taken giant steps to begin the ground work for improvement in academics, perhaps it was time for the athletic programs to get help as well. The end result is that Osceola is paying for this themselves. State money goes to the academics, this money for athletics comes from the people of the town. (by the way, Osceola already spends around 2,000.00 more on each student than the state average, so you can't fault them there). I find no problem with Osceola building some new facilities, but the district is still struggling academically.

footballwatcher

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on July 14, 2016, 08:47:47 pm
Hopefully it will not run 100's of thousands of dollars over budget and put the school district in a hole like the last construction project did.

Since you know all about Osceola's budget, do you have any knowledge of the money that was given to Rivercrest for its football stadium?  I am correct that you are still playing in the middle of a cotton field despite a huge donation given?  Could it be that they went over budget for their new school and had to use the stadium money?

OB11

Quote from: footballwatcher on August 23, 2016, 11:22:24 am
Since you know all about Osceola's budget, do you have any knowledge of the money that was given to Rivercrest for its football stadium?  I am correct that you are still playing WINNING in the middle of a cotton field despite a huge donation given?  Could it be that they went over budget for their new school and had to use the stadium money?

Fixed it for ya.  ;D

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 12, 2016, 08:52:18 pm
Comparing each aspect of the school report card, Osceola dropped in every core subject in 2014 from 2013, and again in 2015. The new Elementary school was opened in 2012 and it effectively ended the progress that West Elementary had made. That school was named Exemplary by the Board of Education in 2011, one of only three schools in the entire state. The consolidation was hotly opposed by a large percentage of the parents whose kids went there.........in your unnecessary explanation you have omitted some things. Was it not just last year they were taken off the financial distress list by the state? And their academic scores have not been improving each year.
Having said that, Osceola has not spent near the amount of money on athletic programs or construction that other 3A schools have. Perhaps the indoor facility left a bad taste in some peoples mouths. The school district HAS taken giant steps to begin the ground work for improvement in academics, perhaps it was time for the athletic programs to get help as well. The end result is that Osceola is paying for this themselves. State money goes to the academics, this money for athletics comes from the people of the town. (by the way, Osceola already spends around 2,000.00 more on each student than the state average, so you can't fault them there). I find no problem with Osceola building some new facilities, but the district is still struggling academically.

Where do you find out how much a school spends per student?

Coltfan2005

It is from the dept of ed. you can get fiscal and education info from them. they break it all down.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: footballwatcher on August 23, 2016, 11:22:24 am
Since you know all about Osceola's budget, do you have any knowledge of the money that was given to Rivercrest for its football stadium?  I am correct that you are still playing in the middle of a cotton field despite a huge donation given?  Could it be that they went over budget for their new school and had to use the stadium money?

The money is promised (if we are talking about the same donation) but is not in their accounts. More money still needs to be raised.

Pit Bull

Great news, can't wait to come and beat the Noles in that new gym when it's up! Earle... Lol, good look though...

ISU7

RiverCrest need to follow what the Noles Hoxie, and Piggott has done to their football fields. The restrooms at Colts Stadium only has one toilet and one urinal in it and you will be better served to use it outside than to go in the restroom. Such a shame. Congrats to Osceola and Piggott on your upgrades to you stadiums and fields.

bigchief72455

Will the football field be ready in time for the beginning if the season?

Paperman

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 25, 2016, 08:55:50 am
Will the football field be ready in time for the beginning if the season?
If the weather holds out. The rains last week eliminated most of the lee-way the construction company had. I was told this morning that if the weather holds it should be ready by the first home game which is Sept. 15 against Pocahontas.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: ISU7 on August 25, 2016, 03:17:46 am
RiverCrest need to follow what the Noles Hoxie, and Piggott has done to their football fields. The restrooms at Colts Stadium only has one toilet and one urinal in it and you will be better served to use it outside than to go in the restroom. Such a shame. Congrats to Osceola and Piggott on your upgrades to you stadiums and fields.

Man, those bathrooms have stunk since 1977. They have never done any improvements to them. It's actually a bit embarrassing.

Paperman

Maybe the bathrooms will be improved when the program finally builds a state of the art football facility! It is sad to say the Rivercrest program doesn't have a better facility! They have a decent field but the other elements(concessions, press box, lighting, bathrooms really need to be renovated!

OB11

Quote from: Paperman on August 29, 2016, 01:02:45 pm
Maybe the bathrooms will be improved when the program finally builds a state of the art football facility! It is sad to say the Rivercrest program doesn't have a better facility! They have a decent field but the other elements(concessions, press box, lighting, bathrooms really need to be renovated!

I am a huge Rivercrest supporter and fan...but they may very well have the worst facilities in the state regardless of classification. 

Lions84

Missco

Not the worst but they need improved. No reason that they haven't. Rivercrest has good facilities otherwise. Mississippi county school districts have good facilities as a whole. Osceola like most districts do about the same job.  Each district faces their own set of challenges. They are improving and that's a good thing.

Paperman

The Colts had new scoreboard installed at the Cotton Patch this afternoon. It was needed! ;D

OB11

Quote from: Paperman on August 29, 2016, 06:15:00 pm
The Colts had new scoreboard installed at the Cotton Patch this afternoon. It was needed! ;D

Considering the other one was held together with bubble gum and paperclips, I'd say it was definitely needed.  haha

Paperman

Quote from: OB11 on August 29, 2016, 07:57:02 pm
Considering the other one was held together with bubble gum and paperclips, I'd say it was definitely needed.  haha
It was time to apply more gum or larger paper clips! Lol!! The new board looks good!

ISU7

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on August 25, 2016, 08:27:50 pm
Man, those bathrooms have stunk since 1977. They have never done any improvements to them. It's actually a bit embarrassing.
+1

ISU7

+1

Paperman

Frankie Gathen is many things, but he is no bully! My friends down south near Mt. Magazine might want to rethink calling him as such! He is a good man!

footballwatcher

At the junior high game last night, there was no PA system.  We all know how boring that game was with no announcing.  I feel sorry for the boys playing, the girls cheering, and the fans of both teams.  Pretty embarassing in my opinion.

ISU7

Quote from: footballwatcher on September 02, 2016, 01:11:56 pm
At the junior high game last night, there was no PA system.  We all know how boring that game was with no announcing.  I feel sorry for the boys playing, the girls cheering, and the fans of both teams.  Pretty embarassing in my opinion.
Maybe it wasn't working,  Have you ever watched a game on tv and the station lose audio. It happens to professionals also. The PA system doesn't control the game. Most people from these schools no who the kids are, what down it is etc. The score, quarters, and time are usually kept on the scoreboard.. 😄😎

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas