• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drew Central

Started by Jack1990, June 15, 2016, 11:55:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack1990

What is the deal with the coach resigning??

XFalkonz

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jack1990 on June 15, 2016, 11:55:16 am
What is the deal with the coach resigning??
probably tired of the crime in Monticello.

Jack1990

Apparently Coach Steven Moore resigned last night citing Lack of Trust from the Superintendent. He will be having a meeting tomorrow night under the Pavillion in City Park at 5:30. He would like as many of his players (every grade) to come. He also welcomes any parents or family members as well.

Romeo

AirWarren

Interesting. They were fast approaching being the football team of Monticello.

Jimbo Morphis

AirWarren

It's "shamming" to Monticello live guy.

Mairzy Doats

Probably a crossroads moment for the program. If the district doesn't commit to finding the right guy and resources, maybe it's time to move on.

XFalkonz

Moore seemed to be getting the program back to at least competing with some teams. But from what I have heard in the past, DC doesn't want to interfere with their basketball team and maybe they were looking for a reason to get rid of him

AirWarren

I think so too. It may be in the districts best interest to just be a basketball only school.

beach bum

Quote from: Oldman on June 15, 2016, 01:00:32 pm
probably tired of the crime in Monticello.

You will be a marked man of you ever show yourself at the Walmart in Monticello with that attitude.

AirWarren

I've said worse. I survived college over there just fine.

Now at star city, I've had a mob looking to hunt me down. Mr b kept them at bay.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on June 15, 2016, 06:42:07 pm
I've said worse. I survived college over there just fine.

Now at star city, I've had a mob looking to hunt me down. Mr b kept them at bay.
never ever cross the cult if you can't handle a little pressure.

AirWarren

Angry mommies of bulldog superstars. Scarier than the red faced robed men.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on June 16, 2016, 09:10:32 am
Angry mommies of bulldog superstars. Scarier than the red faced robed men.
+1

Mairzy Doats

Saw the video of Moore's talk to the parents and kids. I don't know of the specifics, obviously, but the phrase "I'm from the old school" usually means "I overstepped district conduct rules." Does sound like his heart was in the right place though.

Proud Buckaroo

I really hate this, because this guy was probably their best choice of getting DC on the right path..

Beardad

Believe it or not.....bash me if you will

Some folks do not understand the seriousness of your statements if they are not laced with profanity. 

I grew up in a time when a coach and a drill sergeant could speak to you like you were the scum of the earth and everybody turned out A-OK...but oh look what the pampered "everybody with a pulse is a winner" millennials are doing......

The world will be a much better place without Moore telling a kid infront of his girlfriend "I bet she could hit harder than you" or Moore saying "What the H*LL was that?!?!?"  So terrible...

Moore should've been saying things like "good play yesterday on the practice field when you got trucked.  I'm glad we wrapped your knee and gave you an ice bath after practice.  Yes, thank you for having your mom call me and complain about playing time, you'll be on the field for sure this fall buddy! You should try to get your boyfriend out for the team!"

Dayton Kitchens

We lived in Monticello 2004-05 while I was an assistant coach and teacher at Hermitage.   We really loved the movie theater which seemed perfectly sized for the community.

And UAM is probably my second favorite small college behind Henderson.

beach bum

June 17, 2016, 04:29:00 pm #20 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:39:29 pm by beach bum
Cussing is one of those things you probably shouldn't do all together even though I do(mostly as a way of humor with friends).... It is how you use it and most importantly WHERE YOU USE IT! I will say it around people I know, but never around children or people I do not know that are adults. I would never use it in a professional setting, school function, etc.... I don't think it is a coach's place to be cussing at practice in front of 12-18 year olds. All that teaches them is they can cuss in class or wherever they are. If that same kid cusses in class how can you say anything when they are hearing it from 2:30-4:30 everyday. I honestly don't think cussing is a horrible offense. Just use some common sense about it.

xcat

Quote from: XFalkonz on June 15, 2016, 04:57:30 pm
Moore seemed to be getting the program back to at least competing with some teams. But from what I have heard in the past, DC doesn't want to interfere with their basketball team and maybe they were looking for a reason to get rid of him

Basketball at DC isn't all that either, but at least they usually win more than they lose.
The only school I've EVER coached at where coaches didn't curse was at a Christian school, and that was only in front of the kids - they sure did behind closed doors, though; however, there is a difference in choice of curse-words that may have been the issue here - (don't know - just throwing this out there)... if one is using Biblically-based curse-words as opposed to gang-banger cursing - know what I mean?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: xcat on June 21, 2016, 03:35:41 pm
Basketball at DC isn't all that either, but at least they usually win more than they lose.
The only school I've EVER coached at where coaches didn't curse was at a Christian school, and that was only in front of the kids - they sure did behind closed doors, though; however, there is a difference in choice of curse-words that may have been the issue here - (don't know - just throwing this out there)... if one is using Biblically-based curse-words as opposed to gang-banger cursing - know what I mean?
no idea, haven't done much gang banging. what do you mean?

beach bum

June 21, 2016, 04:51:19 pm #23 Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:15:20 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Oldman on June 21, 2016, 03:52:38 pm

Yea I was pretty confused by his post too...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Oldman on June 21, 2016, 03:52:38 pm

He means there is a substantial difference between someone throwing around "he11" and "darn" than "f%$#" "C#@%" and various other words.    Actually this would be considered the difference between "profanity" and "vulgarity".

Mairzy Doats

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 21, 2016, 06:42:06 pm
   Actually this would be considered the difference between "profanity" and "vulgarity".

That's a very good way of putting it.

I don't want to spark the tired, tired, tired debate over what kind of coaching is acceptable and what isn't, but I agree that mild profanity is fairly common in most public school programs. An accomplished profanitarian myself, I don't see it as a big deal.

It seems to me Moore's dismissal stems from lack of synergy (God I hate that word) between himself and his bosses. When it comes to what's acceptable and what isn't, it's the administrator's job to convey expectations and the coach's job to meet them. That's how the world works. There are a lot of coaches, like Moore, who defend their actions as being "old school." Actually, doing what you're told is also pretty darn "old school." It doesn't appear that Moore did, as evidenced by his comments to the team parents. Regardless of how wronged you may personally feel, it's usually bad juju to criticize your bosses publicly on the way out the door. It smacks of an attitude of defiance and inflexibility, and I hope it doesn't impact Moore's career from here on.

As said, I think it's time for DC to either saddle up or dismount the horse. Figure out what they want in a coach and program from a district standpoint. Make those expectations clear and be willing to commit to them while working with a coach who will likely be hired from a very thin applicant pool. Or board the sucker up.

coachsearch

Hired Rob Cox as the new head football coach today

UncleRico

Quote from: coachsearch on June 29, 2016, 04:13:17 pm
Hired Rob Cox as the new head football coach today
Where's he from?

AirWarren

University of Arkansas grad.

Spent time at Camden FV. And Hamburg.

Is he Mike Cox's son that used to coach at Bearden, Hamburg, and CF?

xcat

So he's about 26... maybe 28 years old, right?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: xcat on June 29, 2016, 07:50:32 pm
So he's about 26... maybe 28 years old, right?
graduated college in 2012

xcat

AirWarren

Quote from: xcat on June 30, 2016, 01:52:34 pm
Well then... 26-ish? Wow.

No one else would go to drew central.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: AirWarren on June 30, 2016, 03:13:34 pm
No one else would go to drew central.

They had several applicants from what I understand. 

Big Fan

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on June 30, 2016, 06:47:55 pm
They had several applicants from what I understand. 
Some have even coached football before......

Romeo

xcat

Quote from: Big Fan on June 30, 2016, 10:00:47 pm

How many did they actually interview? I know of a couple who put in that have been coaching for several years (at very large and successful programs) that didn't even get a first look. Maybe paying for a proven good coach wasn't on the agenda.

purpleswag

Quote from: xcat on July 01, 2016, 01:01:59 am
How many did they actually interview? I know of a couple who put in that have been coaching for several years (at very large and successful programs) that didn't even get a first look. Maybe paying for a proven good coach wasn't on the agenda.

Maybe they wouldn't take the job and just went for interview experience. Maybe they got there and saw how bad it was and threw their deuces up

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Big Fan on June 30, 2016, 10:00:47 pm
the best football job in monticello.

xcat

Quote from: purpleswag on July 01, 2016, 06:29:52 am
Maybe they wouldn't take the job and just went for interview experience. Maybe they got there and saw how bad it was and threw their deuces up

Not like that - they didn't even get a first call. Ridiculous. Seriously - those guys have state championship rings as assistants (one as an OC) and didn't even get a call back. And as far as interview experience goes, please....
they have both been head coaches previously and know what it takes to make winners. Neither are 26 by a long shot.

purpleswag

Quote from: xcat on July 01, 2016, 08:50:49 am
Not like that - they didn't even get a first call. Ridiculous. Seriously - those guys have state championship rings as assistants (one as an OC) and didn't even get a call back. And as far as interview experience goes, please....
they have both been head coaches previously and know what it takes to make winners. Neither are 26 by a long shot.

Well then maybe the school isn't looking for a good football team if what you say is true. Maybe he will be a good fit though

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on July 01, 2016, 08:03:32 am
the best football job in monticello.

Man....you are swinging for the fence now.

Dayton Kitchens

It could be the school just wants to fill the slot and save money.

The difference in salary between someone with a couple of years experience and someone with twelve years teaching experience is typically about 5,000 a year.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: xcat on July 01, 2016, 08:50:49 am
the time before I know a head coach with a state championship applied. wanted to get to se Arkansas. didn't get a 2nd interview. money or stupidity?

Beardad

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on July 01, 2016, 09:39:53 am
It could be the school just wants to fill the slot and save money.

The difference in salary between someone with a couple of years experience and someone with twelve years teaching experience is typically about 5,000 a year.

$5,000 a year?!?!?!?!?  This is totally false and made up.  I'd be a teacher if you got a $5,000/year increment!  So....if starting salary is $35,000....you retire in 28 years making $175,000?!?!?!?!?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Beardad

Also! Many times at one of these small "basketball first" schools, the school isn't interested in a head coach that doesn't want to share players or wants mandatory workouts while other seasons are going on.  That'd be a real good reason your guy with rings didn't get called back. 

They want a guy who is wiling to share his kids with other sports, is fine with assistants on staff that have no experience in football, and will generally be yes men to the Sup and AD.  Little Cox told them what they wanted to hear.  Guys with rings did not.  This ain't Alabama....this is 3A

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Beardad on July 01, 2016, 11:32:57 am
$5,000 a year?!?!?!?!?  This is totally false and made up.  I'd be a teacher if you got a $5,000/year increment!  So....if starting salary is $35,000....you retire in 28 years making $175,000?!?!?!?!?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Not what I said.   Normal increments are about 500 a year.    So a teacher with 10 years experience would normally have a starting base salary of about 5,000 a year more than one with no experience.

WPWells

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on July 01, 2016, 11:53:07 am
Not what I said.   Normal increments are about 500 a year.    So a teacher with 10 years experience would normally have a starting base salary of about 5,000 a year more than one with no experience.

You need to learn basic math. That's $5000 total, not $5000 per year

Dayton Kitchens

July 01, 2016, 12:47:12 pm #48 Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:49:15 pm by Dayton Kitchens
Quote from: Fred Bird on July 01, 2016, 12:35:12 pm
You need to learn basic math. That's $5000 total, not $5000 per year

I never said it was 5,000 a year.    I said the base salary difference for someone with 2 years of experience and 12 years experience (see?   a difference of 10 years) was about $5,000.   total.

In other words,  someone with 2 years experience might have a base salary of $36,000 a year.

While someone with 12 years experience might have a base salary of $41,000 a year.

Though I can see in the wording how you might've gotten confused.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Beardad on July 01, 2016, 11:37:17 am
Also! Many times at one of these small "basketball first" schools, the school isn't interested in a head coach that doesn't want to share players or wants mandatory workouts while other seasons are going on.  That'd be a real good reason your guy with rings didn't get called back. 

They want a guy who is wiling to share his kids with other sports, is fine with assistants on staff that have no experience in football, and will generally be yes men to the Sup and AD.  Little Cox told them what they wanted to hear.  Guys with rings did not.  This ain't Alabama....this is 3A
I wonder how many 3a head coaches aren't the a.d.? mcgehee's has pretty much always been as far as I remember. 3a schools have to share players between sports.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas