• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4-3A in 2016 (offseason chatter)

Started by beach bum, November 28, 2015, 11:06:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AlumniLights on June 28, 2016, 02:46:14 pm
This is true. Here's the deal, the whole, "back when we played them in Jr. High" thing has no implications to how teams will pan out when they meet again after a hiatus in Sr. High. 

Ha alot of what I've heard about them isn't actually from an Atkins person....So It might be legit this time....Probably will check them out week 1 against Dover...

MICHAELSPAPPY

Off topic for just one post:
I got to be at Doc's retirement ceremony after 21 years in the Air Natl Guard. Very nice. Proud of him.

Back on topic.

poppyhog

Look for Brennan Gilbert to have a good year for Lamar

Longfellow

Quote from: poppyhog on July 14, 2016, 04:13:56 pm
Look for Brennan Gilbert to have a good year for Lamar
What position does he play?

poppyhog

beach bum

I think this year will have another Paris type story from last year.... Paris really exceeded outside expectations last year with such a good season. The 4-3A always seems to have a team that does that and comes out and makes it further than the rest of the state thought it could come playoff time. Could Atkins, Cedarville, or Perryville be that type of team this year and make it 4 teams out of the 4-3A winning a first round game? We all know Charleston, Lamar, and Paris have talent but I would like to see a 4th team come out and surprise and add more depth than we anticipate for the conference. It is always good to get 3 out of 5 to the 2nd round, but being greedy and getting 4 out of 5 is even more fun!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on July 15, 2016, 08:01:22 pm
I think this year will have another Paris type story from last year.... Paris really exceeded outside expectations last year with such a good season. The 4-3A always seems to have a team that does that and comes out and makes it further than the rest of the state thought it could come playoff time. Could Atkins, Cedarville, or Perryville be that type of team this year and make it 4 teams out of the 4-3A winning a first round game? We all know Charleston, Lamar, and Paris have talent but I would like to see a 4th team come out and surprise and add more depth than we anticipate for the conference. It is always good to get 3 out of 5 to the 2nd round, but being greedy and getting 4 out of 5 is even more fun!

Atkins supposedly has the potential....but we'll see.

macadoshis

Atkins looks good at 7on7 every time we go.  With a QB like Haney, they will make some noise.  Lamar looks solid in all aspects but one.  Oline will be almost all new starters thus year so they are unproven.  Don't get me wrong, I feel they will get the job done because they are strong and athletic.   But I can't say that with 100% confidence like last year.  A lot more weapons on offense this year for sure. 

Red Devil Dad

Atkins will make some noise this year. We look good in the skill positions and even managed to beat Pines Bluff in a 7 on 7.  Our offensive line will miss Dobbs from last season but we have more lineman this year and will be able to sub in and out more. That was a problem last year with only 8 lineman. It will not suprise me if Atkins has a home game first week of the playoffs.  Looking forward to being back in the best conferance in 3A, should be a fun season.

BAMA#16

beach bum

I think with them they will have a lot of offensive firepower, however the last couple years they have given up a lot of points. Even in some wins they have had a few games where they still give up a lot of points. If their defense plays better I will believe they do have potential. If the defense isn't there again it might not end up being the season they think it will. Only this season will tell if that has changed. The offenses in the 2-3A like Harding, Mayflower, Bald Knob, etc. are really good but the 4-3A will have more teams running downhill in the running game. Like I said, 2016 may be there year. We will see.

Red Devil Dad

Beach Bum you are right our defence needs to step it up this year. Last year we had a hard time keeping outside containment. Our secondary should be fine but we will have to play the run better.  We will see week 1 if we have improved when we square off with Dover.

Black and Gold

I just want some of those Atkins pickles... Surely I'm not the only one

macadoshis

We have Atkins first conference game.  The concession stand is definitely gonna kill my diet.

HorseFeathers

oddly enough as many games as I've watched at Atkins, I've never are anything from the concession stand....

macadoshis

Have to have nachos with extra cheese to get the sweet taste out of your mouth from the fried oreos and fried Twinkies.  At that point it's all over.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: macadoshis on July 23, 2016, 11:32:51 am
Have to have nachos with extra cheese to get the sweet taste out of your mouth from the fried oreos and fried Twinkies.  At that point it's all over.

do they have bbq nachoes??

Clara Allen

As long as it doesn't rain the week before- the visitors' side is a swamp   Maybe I'll find my wedding ring that I lost there...

athletic supporter

Atkins isn't going to be very good. They will probably get mercy ruled every conference game

Longfellow

An Atkins alumni told me today that y'all are way overestimating them

athletic supporter

macadoshis

I thought they looked better than Clarksville Monday night

Red Devil Dad

What ever Atkins alumni told you that has obviously not watch this year's team. I'm not saying they will go undefeated but will win some games and compete for a top spot in the conference. I could be wrong and have my Homer glasses on but we will all find out in the weeks to come. The Dover game will tell a lot about this Atkins team.

athletic supporter

Clarksville was taking it easy on them. Atkins is a mediocre team at best.

Red Devil Dad

Wow Athletic supporter in just a few post Atkins went from mercy ruled every game to being mediocre.   We should keep this thread going and you can have us winning state. We did not play particularly well against Clarksville. Too many penalties and dropped passes. I have confidence that they will get those problems worked out before Dover comes to town.

The Dynasty

I heard Lamar struggled with Dover in their scrimmage..... What gives?

smallybells

I wouldn't expect too much out Perryville. From what I hear they do not even have a QB and I don't mean they have a kid in the position that isn't very good, they don't have one period.

Lacerta agilis

I see a lot of loading the box against a team with no one lined up at QB.

smallybells

Quote from: Lacerta agilis on August 25, 2016, 03:13:40 pm
I see a lot of loading the box against a team with no one lined up at QB.

Sarcasm noted. They'll have somebody back there, but yeah, loading the line might be the status quo all year.

macadoshis

Quote from: athletic supporter on August 24, 2016, 08:32:15 pm
Clarksville was taking it easy on them. Atkins is a mediocre team at best.
I'm not sure what game you were watching, but Atkins was by far the best team on the field. 

Skip Baymore

August 26, 2016, 12:40:18 am #80 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:59:54 am by Skip Baymore
Quote from: Black and Gold on November 28, 2015, 11:13:55 pm
Nice assessment. Although I would have Atkins at the 4 spot.

A very nice assessment.  Its certainly one of the saltier conferences in recent years and has many teams that are on the upswing (Chucktown too).  I like the order, would flip Charleston and Lamar and would have Atkins at 4 or 5, also a team getting better.   Both Chucktown and Lamar being top 5 teams is highly unlikely though IMO.  I like everything that I know about Lamar's players and fans and usually (almost always) pull for them.  Its hard for me to think though, that they will be as good this year as they were last year.  And if Chucktown and Lamar turn out to be a 1a and 1b, then I think one of them could have a decent chance to make it to the semis this year (going that far out).

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: The Dynasty on August 25, 2016, 08:59:45 am
I heard Lamar struggled with Dover in their scrimmage..... What gives?

Doc will need to do some "motivating." Don't know what the problem is, but we need to get it fixed pronto.

The Dynasty

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on August 26, 2016, 08:20:12 am
Doc will need to do some "motivating." Don't know what the problem is, but we need to get it fixed pronto.

I was kind of surprised when I heard it. I'm sure they will get it worked out.

macadoshis

Minor details.  And we did outscore a pretty decent 4A team so I'll take playing "not great" and still coming out on top.  I thought the things we need to fix were very easy things to remedy.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas