• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malvern Coaching Job

Started by THE D.O.C, November 07, 2018, 02:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: youhavenoidea on December 11, 2018, 08:29:14 am
He was only there one year...my source in Malvern(figured everyone else quotes unnamed sources) says he jumped ship after one year for Harrison, then left there after one year, went to Russvegas for two years, left there for Fountain Lake as HC for last two years...so sounds like if he's the guy then Malvern has about 2-3 years and he leaves

Sounds like a guy who made good professional decisions.  If that is his career progression, every move has been in the right direction. 

Always tickles me when people try to rag on coaches for changing jobs.  With the "daddy ball" parents running wild in high school sports, the ones who complain when you don't win and complain more when you don't win by "enough", you can't blame a coach for making moves that benefit them professionally.  Parents and admins don't have much "loyalty" these days, foolish to expect coaches to have blind loyalty toward them.

athletic supporter

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on December 12, 2018, 02:41:20 am
Sounds like a guy who made good professional decisions.  If that is his career progression, every move has been in the right direction. 

Always tickles me when people try to rag on coaches for changing jobs.  With the "daddy ball" parents running wild in high school sports, the ones who complain when you don't win and complain more when you don't win by "enough", you can't blame a coach for making moves that benefit them professionally.  Parents and admins don't have much "loyalty" these days, foolish to expect coaches to have blind loyalty toward them.

+100

Jimbo Morphis

You should never blame anyone for bettering themselves professionally. Most people wants a coach that will stay for 20 years then wants them gone after 4 or 5.

youhavenoidea

Agree 100%...I was responding to a post about his "3" years at Malvern, and showing that he has been mobile since being at Malvern for one year prior...sorry to offend you Coach

beaverfan007

He may not have been happy at malvern or maybe wanted a shot at a bigger job and did get it I think hed be a good fit for malvern they need some one to come in and light a fire...

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Maybe his wife was from Harrison and he was moving up there to make her happy?

The second thing maybe that they had an offensive coordinator at the time that begged him to come join him and be co-offensive coordinator?

It was probably the first, but I like to think it was the second.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 12, 2018, 12:47:15 pm
Maybe his wife was from Harrison and he was moving up there to make her happy?

The second thing maybe that they had an offensive coordinator at the time that begged him to come join him and be co-offensive coordinator?

It was probably the first, but I like to think it was the second.

I'm sure it was the second thing. Are you not the Polk County Purveyor of Propaganda (PCPP, for short)?

footballfan-tastic

Just a note about coaches. 
Some have helped fuel the parental and administrative lack of support if they are not winning because of the big boost in pay and sometime not much teaching duty.   When you get more money and you are not teaching but in stead you do football all day, you have high expectations placed on you.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just pointing it out.

HeberFan

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 12, 2018, 01:23:47 pm
Some have helped fuel the parental and administrative lack of support if they are not winning because of the big boost in pay and sometime not much teaching duty.   When you get more money and you are not teaching but in stead you do football all day, you have high expectations placed on you.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just pointing it out.

Coaches who don't teach much should win conference most years. Coaches who teach upper level math should win three or four games each year. Coaches who are ADs should schedule really easy non-conference games to start every season 3-0.   :o)

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 12, 2018, 12:58:46 pm
I'm sure it was the second thing. Are you not the Polk County Purveyor of Propaganda (PCPP, for short)?
I want to say yes, but outside of convincing my wife to marry me and getting Plumlee to Harrison, I'm not sure I've ever been able to persuade anyone of anything.

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 12, 2018, 01:23:47 pm
I don't think that is completely unfair, but I do think that turning a program or even just changing a program can take time.  I also don't think a record is the only measure of success (spoken like a true coach, I know).  I also think that there are circumstances where even great coaches are at wit's end.  Barry Lunney won state championships at Southside, but also had an 0-10 season after one of those.  Many times those are the years where coaches actually spend more time working and preparing because they are trying to leave no stone unturned to figure out the best way to put their players in a position to be successful.

HeberFan

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on December 12, 2018, 02:34:29 pm
I want to say yes, but outside of convincing my wife to marry me and getting Plumlee to Harrison, I'm not sure I've ever been able to persuade anyone of anything.
I don't think that is completely unfair, but I do think that turning a program or even just changing a program can take time.  I also don't think a record is the only measure of success (spoken like a true coach, I know).  I also think that there are circumstances where even great coaches are at wit's end.  Barry Lunney won state championships at Southside, but also had an 0-10 season after one of those.  Many times those are the years where coaches actually spend more time working and preparing because they are trying to leave no stone unturned to figure out the best way to put their players in a position to be successful.

So you're saying coaches are like everybody else? Do your best and sometimes it works great and sometimes it falls apart?

Bingo.

beaverfan007

Honestly I thought I read somewhere he went there for his wife's family

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: beaverfan007 on December 12, 2018, 03:31:37 pm
Honestly I thought I read somewhere he went there for his wife's family
That's correct. She has like 10 state championship rings from her time as a Goblin.

incogneto

Quote from: Sick Dog on December 02, 2018, 03:01:47 pm
GO to Osceola and ask Coach Hooks what it would take for him to come to Malvern. You won't find a better coach for the job. Will turn program around instantly.
That would be a good hire. 

game on

Coach DePriest. Sounds like some people would say success or the ability to turn a program around instantly is very subjective. Coach DePriest you definitely sound like just about every coach I know, success measured in a lot of categories that don't just include wins.  Unfortunately most folks measure in W/L.  Not always a fair evaluation for sure.  Even most coaches I know measure themselves to some degree by W/L.  As they say only a crazy person would hang his career on 15-18 year olds.

Leopard lady 1994

Not for certain, but I would expect an announcement today.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Leopard lady 1994 on December 13, 2018, 06:35:11 am
Not for certain, but I would expect an announcement today.
Still no word?

beaverfan007

Apparently this job will be announced next week

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beaverfan007 on December 14, 2018, 09:00:09 am
Apparently this job will be announced next week
Are you saying that because it's Friday or do you know the day?

HeberFan

footballfan-tastic

wouldn't that be fun.  Malvern would win 2 games next year and that would be an improvement.

beaverfan007

Apparently the paper here said it would be announced next week

Idindonuffin

Quote from: beaverfan007 on December 14, 2018, 07:29:21 pm

What's their hurry?

Leopard lady 1994

Quote from: beaverfan007 on December 14, 2018, 07:29:21 pm
scheduled board meeting Monday. Should be announced once they give the official approval.

#1thetruth

Why would they choose Plumlee?

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: #1thetruth on December 17, 2018, 07:20:31 pm

Very good football coach, I'd assume that's why.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: #1thetruth on December 17, 2018, 07:20:31 pm
The better question would be why wouldn't they choose Plumlee? 

Plumlee was part of the staff that led a 1-9 Lakeside team in 2009 to 10-2 in 2011 and their first playoff win this century.

As Offensive Coordinator...
2013 Malvern – averaged 39 ppg, most by Malvern this century

2014 Harrison – averaged 42 ppg, most in Harrison history until this year; Harrison went from 3-7 in 2013 to 6-5 and first playoff appearance in 8 years

2015 / 2016 Russellville – In 2014, Russellville was 2-8 and averaged 17 ppg; In Plumlee's 2nd year as OC, they were 12-1 with a state championship team averaging 35 ppg

As Head Football Coach...
2017 / 2018 Fountain Lake – Takes a 2-8 team improves them to 4-6, then 6-5 and a trip to the playoffs in what is top to bottom the toughest conference in the state at any level.

beaverfan007

I've heard a few more names than plumlee 2 were on staff at malvern

purpleswag

December 18, 2018, 04:20:59 am #178 Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:35:04 am by purpleswag
😁

JohnBarleycorn

Is Plumlee to Malvern official?

footballmom42

Unless the board meeting didn't go well last night, I assume it's official. He told some of his players @ Ft. Lake yesterday that he was leaving for Malvern. Guess he'll be "rowing the boat" over to his new F.A.M.I.L.Y in Malvern.

Spotty

Quote from: OrangeCrush. on November 24, 2018, 09:49:44 pm
There's no amount of money that could get me to go to Malvern.

That's strange because nobody is offering you money to come here either.

Spotty

Quote from: youhavenoidea on December 06, 2018, 08:40:01 am
Yes and Yes...not sure about this if true, I don't know seems strange to leave a school that you have been trying to build/ change a "culture"/  identity for another school in conference that maybe isn't established as what you have

I think the coaches in the area think differently about the Malvern position. The stadium itself needs some work, but the playing surface is relatively new. Leopards have one of the better weight rooms in the state. Bill Hunt field house, in addition to PE is going to be fitted for an indoor practice facility as part of the high school renovation. Malvern High School is getting a 100% renovation, so it will, for all practical purposes, be a brand new high school. And all the area coaches have seen what talent is coming down the pike for grades 6 through 9. There was a lot of interest in the job, especially from area coaches and coaches with personal connections to Malvern because they knew that someone was about to come in and follow an 0-10 season and within 3 years be competing for the top spot in the toughest conference in the state. They're going to look like Tom Landry.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Spotty on December 18, 2018, 09:03:47 am
I think the coaches in the area think differently about the Malvern position. The stadium itself needs some work, but the playing surface is relatively new. Leopards have one of the better weight rooms in the state. Bill Hunt field house, in addition to PE is going to be fitted for an indoor practice facility as part of the high school renovation. Malvern High School is getting a 100% renovation, so it will, for all practical purposes, be a brand new high school. And all the area coaches have seen what talent is coming down the pike for grades 6 through 9. There was a lot of interest in the job, especially from area coaches and coaches with personal connections to Malvern because they knew that someone was about to come in and follow an 0-10 season and within 3 years be competing for the top spot in the toughest conference in the state. They're going to look like Tom Landry.
Really, sort of a strange reference for 2018...so Plumlee is on par with Landry?

AirWarren

Tom Landry middle school in Texas?

youhavenoidea

Spotty

Quote from: youhavenoidea on December 18, 2018, 09:21:24 am
Really, sort of a strange reference for 2018...so Plumlee is on par with Landry?

I don't know that much about Plumlee to be honest. I'm saying the talent differential between what we had the last couple of years to what is coming is...vast. Any coach will win a significant number more games than what we have the last two years. Area coaches know that, and that's why I think two area coaches that have seen their junior high teams play our junior high teams were the two coaches most connected to the job search.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Spotty on December 18, 2018, 09:56:04 am
I don't know that much about Plumlee to be honest. I'm saying the talent differential between what we had the last couple of years to what is coming is...vast. Any coach will win a significant number more games than what we have the last two years. Area coaches know that, and that's why I think two area coaches that have seen their junior high teams play our junior high teams were the two coaches most connected to the job search.
Well I don't know much about the talent they have coming up, but I know what I saw this year was not totally on the kids...don't see any reason for Malvern to ever go 0-10 but it happened.  The kids at Fountain Lake should be fired up when they play this year, since what your saying is Plumlee saw better talent and ran to greener pastures, should be pretty easy to get the Cobras motivated for that game

Mr. Mercer

Quote from: youhavenoidea on December 18, 2018, 10:05:51 am
Well I don't know much about the talent they have coming up, but I know what I saw this year was not totally on the kids...don't see any reason for Malvern to ever go 0-10 but it happened.  The kids at Fountain Lake should be fired up when they play this year, since what your saying is Plumlee saw better talent and ran to greener pastures, should be pretty easy to get the Cobras motivated for that game

While I agree it´s not all on the kids, Malvern was pretty bad talent wise. Every conference game they played was not very competitive and it´s not like the scheme that worked before changed that much. Sometimes your Jimmies just really aren´t as good as the other teams Joes. Seems like more than anything the new coach will need to adjust some attitudes and humble some kids.  Definitely in need of a culture change.  Never good when a coaches kid quits midseason...

Idindonuffin

airitout

Quote from: IMSwarmed on December 18, 2018, 11:47:24 am
Nobody is answering this question.

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on November 07, 2018, 10:10:35 am
Updated 12/18/2018

Cabot - Scott Reed
Malvern - JD Plumlee
Riverview - TBA
Beebe - TBA
Parker's Chapel - TBA
El Dorado - TBA
Fountain Lake - TBA

Leopard lady 1994

Quote from: IMSwarmed on December 18, 2018, 11:47:24 am
Nobody is answering this question.
Board certified official. Out with the old, in with the new. Things should be much better next year. Can't wait!!

beaverfan007

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas