• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warren At Monticello. Saline river shootout.

Started by AirWarren, October 12, 2018, 09:27:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Got some work to do. Have to get things gelled. Mentally, still played like Treylon was in at LB. SPEED, Size and talent is there. It's time to wake up. Also, gotta get the pass game going.

cuckoobird

Warren's jr high could mercy rule Monticello and their homerun hire

Romeo

It seems like the depreciation of the Saline River Shootout goes down more and more each year. Pretty soon, that huge trophy is going to be in the janitor closet with the Tomato Bowl trophy (Hermitage) and Coca Cola Classic trophy (Fordyce). That, or it could turn into a big door stop.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

The Trophy doesn't mean a lot to the Jack players. After it's given to the team and all the pics and selfies are taken, it becomes a dust collector. It's sad from a football standpoint.

AirWarren

Just keep improving. We still have a complete team.

cuckoobird

With burks warren could outscore anyone without him they are going to have to learn defense. Now they don't have to worry about the billies but Dewitt did an excellent job of moving the ball but always made a stupid mistake.

jimbojack

He'll be missed- especially on defense.  Losing 2 defensive tackles hurts just as much.  Gonna be tough, but someone has to step up. 

AirWarren

Quote from: jimbojack on October 12, 2018, 10:24:25 pm
He'll be missed- especially on defense.  Losing 2 defensive tackles hurts just as much.  Gonna be tough, but someone has to step up. 

Have we seen this story line before? Absolutely.

Do we have anyone in the rotation as good as Treylon, nope. Everyone knows that. But we do have someone that can come in and play a role and help the unit play soundly.

I saw some great plays on defense last night. Assignment football. Then I saw some plays where the ball was overplayed or wrong gap assignment. That's because that unit is used to having him there to play his role. These are correctable with reps and play. Like Kyle said, the team and unit found out about this Thursday night. No time to get someone fully mentally ready to take on that spot. Well, we have had all week but still, I can't imagine losing a friend, teammate etc like him and get someone ready to play Friday. Coach will get it worked out.

Getting down to the nitty gritty. Those kids gotta get after it.

Romeo

October 13, 2018, 07:58:15 am #8 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:06:49 am by Romeo
Watching the replay, it didn't appear the play where both defensive linemen were hurt was dirty.

knownothingboutfallball

Any word on Burks pray that it's nothing major

miamiskeeter

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on October 12, 2018, 09:55:46 pm
The Trophy doesn't mean a lot to the Jack players. After it's given to the team and all the pics and selfies are taken, it becomes a dust collector. It's sad from a football standpoint.

Actually, the Saline river shootout trophy has a very prominent place in the high school library! WHS is very proud to have that trophy EVERY year! it's sad that they even have to move that heavy thingevery year, knowing it's just coming right back to the WHS library!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: miamiskeeter on October 13, 2018, 11:21:47 am

Actually, the Saline river shootout trophy has a very prominent place in the high school library! WHS is very proud to have that trophy EVERY year! it's sad that they even have to move that heavy thingevery year, knowing it's just coming right back to the WHS library!

It's very location is proof the trophy means very little.  You guys put it in a building that nobody in Warren uses!  😜😜

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: miamiskeeter on October 13, 2018, 11:21:47 am

Actually, the trophy sat on the indoor facility turf for over a month one year. And with the turf being as nasty as it is, can't be too proud of if.

miamiskeeter

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 13, 2018, 12:28:57 pm
It's very location is proof the trophy means very little.  You guys put it in a building that nobody in Warren uses!  😜😜

Shows how little you know about WHS! All of our latest State champ trophies (soccer&football) are in the library. It is the hotspot of the high school!

cuckoobird

Is that where the runner up banners hang too?

Sidelinecoach99

Just wondering where y'all display your participation ribbons?!🙄

cuckoobird

KASH dba The Lumberjack

cuckoobird

If you hang runner up banners like warren, sure

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Any Billie insiders know whether or not the Head Coach is still being a no show at some of the practices or not?

cuckoobird

Good luck on getting an answer. They all went into hiding

KASH dba The Lumberjack

That was my feeble attempt at baiting them back.

Jack1990

cuckoobird

Maybe the new coach banned everyone from Monticello from FF

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 14, 2018, 04:44:44 pm
Good luck on getting an answer. They all went into hiding
Seems like they have gone into hiding none of them are ever get on here anymore

KASH dba The Lumberjack

They've been missing since week 2. If they can't man up and at least say something this week, they should delete profiles. This was once a huge rivalry and they did pay a man more money than the man he was paid to beat. Maybe the Billie band will play "Ironic" by Alainis Morrisette. Song fits the season.

cuckoobird

VanillaThunder

How come warren is one game behind everyone else?

VanillaThunder

Quote from: Romeo on October 12, 2018, 09:50:46 pm
It seems like the depreciation of the Saline River Shootout goes down more and more each year. Pretty soon, that huge trophy is going to be in the janitor closet with the Tomato Bowl trophy (Hermitage) and Coca Cola Classic trophy (Fordyce). That, or it could turn into a big door stop.
I thought there already was a saline river shootout? Having two is fine

AirWarren

Quote from: VanillaThunder on October 15, 2018, 08:11:17 am
I thought there already was a saline river shootout? Having two is fine

Yours is the saline river showdown.

STUNNA

Quote from: VanillaThunder on October 15, 2018, 08:09:36 am
How come warren is one game behind everyone else?
stuttgart game was cancelled due to weather

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: STUNNA on October 15, 2018, 08:57:46 am
stuttgart game was cancelled due to weather

With some luck we may get to finish it the day after Thanksgiving.

VanillaThunder

VanillaThunder

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 09:01:07 am
With some luck we may get to finish it the day after Thanksgiving.
This seems to becoming a tradition. Will this be the 2nd or 3rd time since 2010? I'll start leaving an extra plate out for you or Cookoo. Nothing like a little smoked Ricebird to go along with Cajun fried turkey.

Little Bear

Warren will win pretty big.  Monticello is cycling way down and Warren is.....well ....Warren. 

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on October 15, 2018, 05:00:14 pm
This seems to becoming a tradition. Will this be the 2nd or 3rd time since 2010? I'll start leaving an extra plate out for you or Cookoo. Nothing like a little smoked Ricebird to go along with Cajun fried turkey.

I hope you're not leaving a plate out for us in Warren. If played, this game will be in Stuttgart.  :)

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 15, 2018, 05:05:33 pm
I hope you're not leaving a plate out for us in Warren. If played, this game will be in Stuttgart.  :)
This year, but next year who knows. Trying to start a tradition.

cuckoobird

Rida4Life

So no one from Monticello wants to talk football?  well that's too baaaaaaad....

....sorry... I just couldn't help myself.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Quote from: jimbojack on October 12, 2018, 10:24:25 pm

When you say losing, like, for the year or were they just banged up against DeWitt because if they're done, then Warren has serious problems.  We have some depth, but not enough to magically pull out two more game ready defensive linemen off the sideline. 

Trylon is a bigger defensive loss than offensive.  We can find the productivity on the offensive side and still have enough explosive playmakers to be ok.  He was such a closer and a finisher on defense though.  We need to find the next man up and quickly.  I don't put much stock into what we saw on the field against DeWitt.  The team had just found out about Treylon a little over 24 hours prior, they were likely still in shock and not mentally prepared.  Still put together a 35-14 win over an improved DeWitt team. 

Now, with a week to prepare, I'm anxious to see what Bo can put together.  There aren't any other Treylon's walking around the locker room, but to think Warren is done--that's foolishness!  Watch the DeWitt tape and see the explosiveness we have from the RB position with Steppes and we still have a game changer on the edge with McKnight.  I'm anxious to see how the staff attacks the defense this week and molds them into a cohesive unit sans Burks.  I'm a firm believer that adversity solidifies great teams and I think you'll see that with this bunch.  Many are saying Warren can't and won't win the 4A title without Burks, I say "not so fast my friend".  It's all in how this coaching staff responds and more importantly, that senior class.  Will it be harder without Burks, oh absolutely.  You don't take the best player in the state off your team and get better, but I think it could change the dynamics of the team in a positive way.  This team will now have to go our and earn it, every single play.  It will also make winning that much sweeter knowing how they did it.

As for Monticello this week, it's sad to see what this rivalry has become.  Back in the late 90s/early 00s, you'd have been hard pressed to find a better match-up in the state than when these two teams battled it out on a Friday night.  The 2000 and 2001 games are two of the most memorable games in my football watching career.  Those days are long gone.  One program has continued to climb and rise in prestige, the other has captured lightning in a bottle once (2009) and then ran off championship caliber coaches only to bring in a hype man this season that has so far, under delivered.  I do think Coach Coplin can have success at Monticello.  They have the numbers and most years, the talent.  But they won't taste much success this season as I told AirWarren very early into the season, this is an 0-10 team.  I'm anxious to see how the community reacts to the situation if the Billies do indeed go winless this year.  I think they'll give Coach time to build his program, but even after one season, if it's 0-10, don't think for a second the chatter won't begin in the coffee shops around town. 

Warren should have no issues dispatching Monticello Friday night.  They are the better coached, more talented team with more to play for at this point in the season.  Warren hasn't lost the Saline River Shootout since the inception of the Trophy in 2011 (they tied Monticello that year 6-6).  It's been a clean sweep since then with the average margin of victory being 37-12 (223-73 scoring margin).  I don't expect to see Friday night's game differ much from recent history.  I think Bo will use this game to continue to help his offensive unit find cohesiveness and also rotate guys on defense to find a unit that "fits".  I expect Monticello to put up a good fight though, because the game certainly means a lot of the players, the community and from earlier talks this year, it sounds like it means an awful lot to Coach Coplin.  Still, I see Warren winning comfortably setting up a big-time show down with Hamburg in Week 9 which could be for the conference title, or at the very least, a piece of it.

Anxious to see how Warren performs down the stretch leading into the playoffs.  Three big-time games coming up against your hated rival (Monticello) and two of the top four teams in the conference (Hamburg and HWH).  Thank heavens they get them both at home which will hopefully make a tremendous difference in how we play!  Go Jacks!

-Kyle

cuckoobird

I'm just curious, how many minutes were left in the game and what was the score when burks got hurt?

AirWarren

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 16, 2018, 09:18:54 am
When you say losing, like, for the year or were they just banged up against DeWitt because if they're done, then Warren has serious problems.  We have some depth, but not enough to magically pull out two more game ready defensive linemen off the sideline. 

Trylon is a bigger defensive loss than offensive.  We can find the productivity on the offensive side and still have enough explosive playmakers to be ok.  He was such a closer and a finisher on defense though.  We need to find the next man up and quickly.  I don't put much stock into what we saw on the field against DeWitt.  The team had just found out about Treylon a little over 24 hours prior, they were likely still in shock and not mentally prepared.  Still put together a 35-14 win over an improved DeWitt team. 

Now, with a week to prepare, I'm anxious to see what Bo can put together.  There aren't any other Treylon's walking around the locker room, but to think Warren is done--that's foolishness!  Watch the DeWitt tape and see the explosiveness we have from the RB position with Steppes and we still have a game changer on the edge with McKnight.  I'm anxious to see how the staff attacks the defense this week and molds them into a cohesive unit sans Burks.  I'm a firm believer that adversity solidifies great teams and I think you'll see that with this bunch.  Many are saying Warren can't and won't win the 4A title without Burks, I say "not so fast my friend".  It's all in how this coaching staff responds and more importantly, that senior class.  Will it be harder without Burks, oh absolutely.  You don't take the best player in the state off your team and get better, but I think it could change the dynamics of the team in a positive way.  This team will now have to go our and earn it, every single play.  It will also make winning that much sweeter knowing how they did it.

As for Monticello this week, it's sad to see what this rivalry has become.  Back in the late 90s/early 00s, you'd have been hard pressed to find a better match-up in the state than when these two teams battled it out on a Friday night.  The 2000 and 2001 games are two of the most memorable games in my football watching career.  Those days are long gone.  One program has continued to climb and rise in prestige, the other has captured lightning in a bottle once (2009) and then ran off championship caliber coaches only to bring in a hype man this season that has so far, under delivered.  I do think Coach Coplin can have success at Monticello.  They have the numbers and most years, the talent.  But they won't taste much success this season as I told AirWarren very early into the season, this is an 0-10 team.  I'm anxious to see how the community reacts to the situation if the Billies do indeed go winless this year.  I think they'll give Coach time to build his program, but even after one season, if it's 0-10, don't think for a second the chatter won't begin in the coffee shops around town. 

Warren should have no issues dispatching Monticello Friday night.  They are the better coached, more talented team with more to play for at this point in the season.  Warren hasn't lost the Saline River Shootout since the inception of the Trophy in 2011 (they tied Monticello that year 6-6).  It's been a clean sweep since then with the average margin of victory being 37-12 (223-73 scoring margin).  I don't expect to see Friday night's game differ much from recent history.  I think Bo will use this game to continue to help his offensive unit find cohesiveness and also rotate guys on defense to find a unit that "fits".  I expect Monticello to put up a good fight though, because the game certainly means a lot of the players, the community and from earlier talks this year, it sounds like it means an awful lot to Coach Coplin.  Still, I see Warren winning comfortably setting up a big-time show down with Hamburg in Week 9 which could be for the conference title, or at the very least, a piece of it.

Anxious to see how Warren performs down the stretch leading into the playoffs.  Three big-time games coming up against your hated rival (Monticello) and two of the top four teams in the conference (Hamburg and HWH).  Thank heavens they get them both at home which will hopefully make a tremendous difference in how we play!  Go Jacks!

-Kyle

Time to dig deep boys. Kyle has been really optimistic here, I like it. The mission didn't stop against Dumas as bad as a lot of people out there want it to be. I am pretty certain there was staffs out there celebrating at the news but that's ok.

Good post Kyle.

SUGARTOWN

October 16, 2018, 09:53:17 am #43 Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:56:04 am by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 16, 2018, 09:18:54 am
Three big-time games coming up against your hated rival (Monticello) and two of the top four teams in the conference (Hamburg and HWH).  Thank heavens they get them both at home which will hopefully make a tremendous difference in how we play!  Go Jacks!

The HWH game is on the road. That's never an easy place to play for a number of reasons.

And IMO, you'll miss Burks on offense almost as much as defense. It seemed that whenever the offense struggled or needed a big play Burks would take over at QB and bail y'all out. Going to be tough to replace that.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 16, 2018, 09:53:17 am
The HWH game is on the road. That's never an easy place to play for a number of reasons.

And IMO, you'll miss Burks on offense almost as much as defense. It seemed that whenever the offense struggled or needed a big play Burks would take over at QB and bail y'all out. Going to be tough to replace that.

That's a scheduling error on Fearless Friday.  Just checked Warren's website and the HWH game is indeed a home game for Warren.  Need to get that updated on FF. 

See the link here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16wnoj9v07-zTLp3o7A0uziSHIp2gtq9Hv2XD2hdKgdA/edit

Again, glad we get them at HOME and don't have to make that trip to Mississippi basically. 

As for Burks on offense, yeah, it'll be tough to replace him and that leadership angle, but I still think losing him on the defensive side of the ball hurts worse just because we were able to rely on him to often times shut down/neutralize the opponents best player.  The Elephant package with McKnight, when Bo rolls it out--which it has to be coming--is still going to be just as lethal as it was with Burks.

-Kyle

AirWarren

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on October 16, 2018, 10:02:15 am
That's a scheduling error on Fearless Friday.  Just checked Warren's website and the HWH game is indeed a home game for Warren.  Need to get that updated on FF. 

See the link here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16wnoj9v07-zTLp3o7A0uziSHIp2gtq9Hv2XD2hdKgdA/edit

Again, glad we get them at HOME and don't have to make that trip to Mississippi basically. 

As for Burks on offense, yeah, it'll be tough to replace him and that leadership angle, but I still think losing him on the defensive side of the ball hurts worse just because we were able to rely on him to often times shut down/neutralize the opponents best player.  The Elephant package with McKnight, when Bo rolls it out--which it has to be coming--is still going to be just as lethal as it was with Burks.

-Kyle

Speed. Speed. Speed. Still have that on our side. Our missed tackles last week were all from overpursuit and over running their hole assignment. That can be adjusted hopefully.

CoachB123

Romeo

My biggest concern is that I'm not sure this team will be able to learn to play without Burks. Other than Mcknight and Reep, we'll have to depend on sophomores to step up at receiver and we have underclassmen at linebacker that will have to step up. Fact is, we probably wouldn't have gotten to the state championship last season without Burks.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: CoachB123 on October 16, 2018, 11:19:51 am
What's the word on Burks? What's the injury?

Someone give this guy SuperJack's phone number...

CoachB123

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 16, 2018, 11:51:27 am
Someone give this guy SuperJack's phone number...

Just wanting to know if it's a injury we should be worried about for a future hog player..

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas