• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Northside - Bryant

Started by grizz, September 22, 2018, 09:30:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

grizz

First off...  Congrats to Bryant on the W.  They have a very talented football team that should go a long way.

That game, though...  Its like two heavyweights are a couple of rounds into a great knock down, drag out fight, and then someone pulls the fire alarm.

In case you don't know what I am talking about, the game was postponed for 30 minutes for weather with less than one minute left in the first half.  About an hour and 15 minutes later, both schools evidently agreed to call the game a completed game.  Not sure why Northside would have agreed to that other than to not have to travel to Bryant again next week and screw up its game prep schedule for Central next Friday.

Hate that our kids didn't get a chance to play a complete game.  I know they certainly didn't feel beaten after being down only 9 points with more than half a game to go.  But, hey, it is what it is.

Congrats again on the win, Bryant. 

Razorback Red

Crazy to me that NS would agree to call the game.  I would have thought their was a policy in place that 3Q's have to be completed to call a complete game? 

Two very good teams, I feel bad for all the student athletes.  They deserve to finish the game. 

Walter

The policy as I understand it is playing a half. But if both teams agree anything can be done. It was a good game but I don't blame NS for not wanting to get back on a bus to get home at midnight or 1 and then turn around and leave to come back at 7 or 8 in the morning for a noon start. Weather can screw everything up.

Brian G

Not only could NS have won, but it will now effect the tiebreakers.

Just odd to me.

Walter

I have no doubt they will make the playoffs. Their QB has a strong arm.

grizz

Quote from: SardisHog on September 22, 2018, 11:54:59 am
The policy as I understand it is playing a half. But if both teams agree anything can be done. It was a good game but I don't blame NS for not wanting to get back on a bus to get home at midnight or 1 and then turn around and leave to come back at 7 or 8 in the morning for a noon start. Weather can screw everything up.

Or even worse...  Having to come again on Monday to try to finish it.  Then having to make yet another central AR trip next Friday at Central. 
A half week of prep for Central might turn what should be a comfortable win into a loss. 
Not sure I would have made the same decision, but understand their logic.

Hornet-Hawg

From what i heard, both coaches agreed to let it be halftime at the start of the delay even tho there were 57 secs left. Then i heard it was Northside's coach that wanted to end it and head home.

Walter

If the goal was to get it to halftime then NS did not stand a chance of winning. If we had been at Fort Smith and the situation reversed I would hope Coach James would do the same just for the kids. Funny thing if Bryant had hurried it up out of the field house at the beginning of the game we would have made halftime.

grizz

Quote from: SardisHog on September 22, 2018, 02:50:53 pm
If the goal was to get it to halftime then NS did not stand a chance of winning. If we had been at Fort Smith and the situation reversed I would hope Coach James would do the same just for the kids. Funny thing if Bryant had hurried it up out of the field house at the beginning of the game we would have made halftime.

Th halftime rule only applies to non conference games.

Brian G

I'm just against bailing.

Imagine if NSide misses the playoffs because they gave up on this game.

Walter

Thanks grizz I did not know that

[/quote]uote author=B.G. link=topic=156883.msg3620731#msg3620731 date=1537648678]
I'm just against bailing.

Imagine if NSide misses the playoffs because they gave up on this game.
[/quote]

That would take quite an imagination.

grizz

I don't think NHS will miss the playoffs, but yeah, that would be a pretty bad look for NHS staff/admin if they did.  However, it hurts their playoff seed if you wanted to assume that NHS would have won a re-started game.  If you assume that Bryant would have held on to a 9 point lead, then abandoning the game changes nothing.
Unfortunately, we don't get to find out.

What is irritating today is that there is no severe weather anywhere around Bryant. Seems like they could have tried a little harder to get the game in.

Someone else had posted the rules a few days ago about weather delays.
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=156624.0
Last post in the topic.

Brian G

The point for me...is its Game 1 for conference.  What if it was the last game that would get you in and you pulled that?

You never know...

Walter

Off and on light rain only. No lighting.

grizz

Quote from: SardisHog on September 22, 2018, 05:07:02 pm
Off and on light rain only. No lighting.

Thanks for rubbing the Saline County salt in the wound.  :)

businesstron

September 24, 2018, 11:19:44 am #15 Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:44:11 am by businesstron
That was weird that they called the game that was obviously competitive.  It's especially weird that they agreed to it before hand.  They could've easily waited the storm out.   

I remember when I played in high school we played an away game in Mansfield Texas and it was the most servere thunnderstorm I've ever seen in September and it lasted a long time.  We didn't finish that game until after midnight and we were only 15 minutes from Mansfield.   That storm was 2x worse then what was going on in Bryant Friday.

sportsguy80

Quote from: businesstron on September 24, 2018, 11:19:44 am
That was weird that they called the game that was obviously competitive.  It's especially weird that they agreed to it before hand.  They could've easily waited the storm out.   

I remember when I played in high school we played an away game in Mansfield Texas and it was the most servere thunnderstorm I've every seen in September and it lasted a long time.  We didn't finish that game until after midnight and we were only 15 minutes from Mansfield.   That storm was 2x worse then what was going on in Bryant Friday.
I remember way back when playing regardless of the weather. Looking back I thank God that there weren't any bad experiences or tragedies due to weather. Actually, I think the coaches then definitely wanted to finish those games regardless.

Baitshop

Something about this one doesn't pass the sniff test...

grizz

Quote from: Baitshop on September 24, 2018, 06:43:00 pm
Something about this one doesn't pass the sniff test...

Yeah I think it does.  Bryant wanted to finish the game Friday night.  Weather was forecasted to roll out sometime around 1:00 in the morning.
Bryant was in its indoor facility.  Comfortable, cool, plenty of room.  Northside was in the visitors locker room.  Small, cramped.  Bryant failed to provide a locker room with a working air conditioner.  The temp at 9:00 was 85 degrees and rising.  No one could go outside because of the lightning.  Northside players would have needed IV hydration before a 1:00AM start time.

Coming back to Bryant was a non-starter.  You can't jeopordize next week's game.

Coaching staff probably made the right call.

Bryant is probably typical in care for its visitor locker rooms.  No one wants to put money into that.  No one builds a palace for its visitors.  No one expects its visitors to spend many hours in the locker room.  This situation, though, made the game restart unplayable.
You can't expect guys to sit in high heat, humidity, and stench for 5 hours, and then come back and play a game against someone then has sat for 5 hours in much different conditions.  Hopefully Bryant will find some money for some freon.

All that said...   Bryant is a heck of a football team.  This was a slugfest.  Really a shame it didn't get finished.  Odds are that Northside wouldn't have overcome a 9 point deficit on the road, but you never know.  Maybe they solve this in the playoffs with better weather.

Brian G

Other teams have played games on Mon and Friday.

I ask this.... What if Nside was ahead instead?  Would they have come back Sat or Mon?

grizz

Quote from: B.G. on September 26, 2018, 10:54:15 pm
Other teams have played games on Mon and Friday.

I ask this.... What if Nside was ahead instead?  Would they have come back Sat or Mon?

I have no idea.

Walter

Are you asking would Bryant agree to ending the game if they were behind? I would assume not, but they did not have the un AC building. or the 2.5 hour trip home and then 2.5 back to play the game. If we were playing at NS and being behind I would not want the kids to go back or wait till 1am whether it is an AC building or not. I can't tell you what Coach James would do.

Hornet-Hawg

I remember the entire Bryant team sitting in the grass outside the Northside locker room at halftime of last year's game because the room was a sauna with no A/C.  Maybe we turned ours off for revenge!  Seriously though, I watched as I left the parking lot at 9:45 and don't think I saw another flash of lightning.  They probably could have been playing by 10.   

Didn't NLR start a game after midnight a few weeks ago in Shreveport?

Maynard G Krebs

Reading about the inadequacies of visitor locker rooms reminds me that is another facet of the home field advantage

SouthpawSensation

September 27, 2018, 09:56:28 am #24 Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:00:00 am by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: Hornet-Hawg on September 27, 2018, 09:39:03 am
I remember the entire Bryant team sitting in the grass outside the Northside locker room at halftime of last year's game because the room was a sauna with no A/C.  Maybe we turned ours off for revenge!  Seriously though, I watched as I left the parking lot at 9:45 and don't think I saw another flash of lightning.  They probably could have been playing by 10.   

Didn't NLR start a game after midnight a few weeks ago in Shreveport?
No. The NLR game started at 10:05 p.m. and didn't end until almost 1 a.m.
My take on this is as follows: Northside is only down nine points. That's still a winnable game with some halftime adjustments against a team that is probably tougher than LR Central, but I could be wrong.
Bryant, however, is only up nine points. Could the Hornets be kicking themselves in a few weeks down the road because they lost out on a tiebreaker because they only have 9 points from the game and not the full 13?

green/white

Not sure about Bryant visitor dressing room, but I have knowledge of Northside's. It is the worst in 7a.

Walter

Before we built our field house a few years back that was our locker and weight room. The visitors was under the stands and nasty.

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: SardisHog on September 27, 2018, 11:59:47 am
Before we built our field house a few years back that was our locker and weight room. The visitors was under the stands and nasty.

I think it still houses the 9th grade football team.

Brian G

I'm of the opinion the dressing rooms dont factor into this deal.

Baitshop

.... unless you're looking for an excuse to make.

Walter

No excuse needed by NS. It would have been too late to play and I'll be dang if would want to make that trip 2 additional times to play.

Walter

Well not finishing the game was not a problem.

Brian G

grizz

Quote from: SardisHog on November 21, 2018, 06:02:06 pm
Well not finishing the game was not a problem.

True.  None of that matters now.  Just a couple of good FB teams lining up to play a game.  Same teams as before except Bryant has added back a MLB.  Both teams are healthy.  Northside will key on #23. Bryant will be looking for #2 and #5. 

Northside's defense has been playing at a high level the last few weeks.  Offense has been protecting the football.  Bryant has been at a high level all season.
Northside will have to better adjust to a very large offense front.  Bryant is big.  Something we haven't done well this year.  DC Coach Curry will have them ready. 

Rain in the forecast, but not monsoon weather with crazy lightning like before.  Weather isn't an issue.

Northside will win it in a close one.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas