• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA at Harber

Started by PA Dad, August 19, 2018, 11:55:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

I know very little about Harber.  I think they were disappointed with their record last year but they traditionally have a strong team.

PA is very small this year.  They were not impressive in the scrimmage with Bryant.  They must rely on speed and precision.  They have the speed but were not precise in the scrimmage.

Just because Coach Kelley gets the team prepared for big games, I predict a PA win in a very close game.

Overdahill

I don't have any firsthand knowledge this year but it'll be a pleasant surprise to me if PA comes out with a win this week based on what I have heard. I am thinking HB by 14. It should be good prep for the rest of the season in any case

PA Dad

Quote from: Overdahill on August 19, 2018, 12:12:59 pm
I don't have any firsthand knowledge this year but it'll be a pleasant surprise to me if PA comes out with a win this week based on what I have heard. I am thinking HB by 14. It should be good prep for the rest of the season in any case

I will not be surprised if PA loses this game.  If they play no better than they did in the scrimmage they will lose by a lot.  But I think they will correct the mistakes and at least make the game competitive.

Red Devil Alum

In a strange way, it's kind of fun as a PA fan to be approaching a game and feel like everything needs to go right to have a chance to win.

beach bum

These 7A schools must have been too scared to play PA the last few years when PA would have rolled Harber by 30

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: PA Dad on August 19, 2018, 12:21:14 pm
I will not be surprised if PA loses this game.  If they play no better than they did in the scrimmage they will lose by a lot.  But I think they will correct the mistakes and at least make the game competitive.
I think PA will show up and have the mistakes corrected

$aintMaximu$

Who all is coming to this game?  I think I'll drop the kids off at Shiloh and go watch this one... I think it will be much more entertaining...

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on August 20, 2018, 12:33:38 pm
Who all is coming to this game?  I think I'll drop the kids off at Shiloh and go watch this one... I think it will be much more entertaining...

To borrow a line from the great keeper of the keys, Lanny:  "I may attend this game".

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 20, 2018, 01:03:54 pm
To borrow a line from the great keeper of the keys, Lanny:  "I may attend this game".

Sounds good.. I will probably sit on the PA side... Should do a little meet up..

InYoGrill

Harber by 21. No way this year PA hangs with the likes of Harber. If PA's line is that much smaller than years past, I don't see them winning this one. PA will still be the FAV to win 5A until someone else proves different IMO.

PA Bruin Fan

Just my opinion but I think the O-line will be just fine.  Not as big as last year but still well trained, coached, and strong.  In my mind it all comes down to the young Jr QB.  Big shoes to fill. 

HeberFan

Where is the game being played?

sportsguy80

protegewill

Quote from: beach bum on August 20, 2018, 11:15:30 am
These 7A schools must have been too scared to play PA the last few years when PA would have rolled Harber by 30

PA is good no one can argue with that and them playing Harber will be a treat. But, it's not like PA has been beating down doors or signing petitions to play the best 7A or 6A during that time either which is evidenced by them scheduling out-of-state schools on the bulk of their non-conference; save Warren, Wynne, and West Memphis as their typical in-state schools during non-conference. I wish both teams the best though.

HeberFan

PA can play any non-conference schedule it wants.  I think out-of-state games are cool and something few high school teams experience. But once that's over, it's back to the grind.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: protegewill on August 23, 2018, 11:24:28 am
PA is good no one can argue with that and them playing Harber will be a treat. But, it's not like PA has been beating down doors or signing petitions to play the best 7A or 6A during that time either which is evidenced by them scheduling out-of-state schools on the bulk of their non-conference; save Warren, Wynne, and West Memphis as their typical in-state schools during non-conference. I wish both teams the best though.
That's wrong. PA has scheduled the out of state games because the 7A schools in the state wouldn't play them. You don't schedule Highland Park and SLC East because you are afraid of competition.

Overdahill

HeberFan

protegewill

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 23, 2018, 04:17:49 pm
That's wrong. PA has scheduled the out of state games because the 7A schools in the state wouldn't play them. You don't schedule Highland Park and SLC East because you are afraid of competition.

I never said that PA was afraid of competition, just the opposite.  I'm just curious as to why if PA is considered to be so good why they have not consistently beaten the best teams in the state regardless of classification? It's highly doubtful that teams the same caliber of GW, Fay, NLR, Bentonville, Bryant, Cabot, PB, and Eldorado would all be afraid of risking a loss on their schedule which could only served to make their teams better. A few years back GW scheduled around 7 or 8 7A teams and still nearly won a championship. But that was only for a year or so. I am asking why wouldn't PA do something similar? You seem to be implying that the best competition Arkansas has to offer is afraid of PA. Yet, where's the proof that? If that is the case PA would be undefeated in the championship games or no team outside of 7A  would lose to anyone in a lower classification than them. Why wouldn't 7A schools play GW and not PA? It seems to be more conjecture than factual evidence as to why PA does not play schools from 7A or 6A. That's why depending on who ask you get a different answer. PA did the next best thing which was to schedule out of state quality competition. I'm not faulting them for that. I actually applaud them for it just like any other respectable fan does.

HeberFan

Quote from: protegewill on August 24, 2018, 12:03:51 pm
I never said that PA was afraid of competition, just the opposite.  I'm just curious as to why if PA is considered to be so good why they have not consistently beaten the best teams in the state regardless of classification? It's highly doubtful that teams the same caliber of GW, Fay, NLR, Bentonville, Bryant, Cabot, PB, and Eldorado would all be afraid of risking a loss on their schedule which could only served to make their teams better. A few years back GW scheduled around 7 or 8 7A teams and still nearly won a championship. But that was only for a year or so. I am asking why wouldn't PA do something similar? You seem to be implying that the best competition Arkansas has to offer is afraid of PA. Yet, where's the proof that? If that is the case PA would be undefeated in the championship games or no team outside of 7A  would lose to anyone in a lower classification than them. Why wouldn't 7A schools play GW and not PA? It seems to be more conjecture than factual evidence as to why PA does not play schools from 7A or 6A. That's why depending on who ask you get a different answer. PA did the next best thing which was to schedule out of state quality competition. I'm not faulting them for that. I actually applaud them for it just like any other respectable fan does.

It's hard to schedule "the best of the best" several years in advance. Any way you look at it, PA has scheduled great competition every year. I can see why a 7A school would not want to play (and likely lose) to a 5A school.

Red Devil Alum

Look at today's paper where Kevin Kelley is quoted as thanking Harber for being willing to play PA. Other 7A schools have not. Maybe it's because PA embarrassed Cabot a few years ago. I don't know.

HeberFan

The "non-conference strength of schedule" is debated every year. Nobody knows what is best. Coaches just try to put their teams in the best position possible. How about we just enjoy the game?

protegewill

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 24, 2018, 01:02:35 pm
Look at today's paper where Kevin Kelley is quoted as thanking Harber for being willing to play PA. Other 7A schools have not. Maybe it's because PA embarrassed Cabot a few years ago. I don't know.

Which paper is that?

protegewill

Quote from: HeberFan on August 24, 2018, 12:50:05 pm
It's hard to schedule "the best of the best" several years in advance. Any way you look at it, PA has scheduled great competition every year. I can see why a 7A school would not want to play (and likely lose) to a 5A school.

Has there been talks in the past about PA seriously considered moving up in classification to 6A maybe? Do you think they would be success consistently?

HeberFan

Red Devil Alum

protegewill

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 24, 2018, 03:03:12 pm
ADG front page sports.

Springdale Har-Ber is going to be good," Kelley said. "[Wildcats Coach] Chris Wood has done a fantastic job. We wanted to play somebody like that. We haven't been able to play somebody in Arkansas [in nonconference] for a while. I'm thankful that Chris stepped up.

"I think they'll be in the final four in the state in 7A. For us, with three starters on offense and defense, what a great place to measure ourselves. That's a chance for our kids to go, 'This is where we're at.' We'll know after this game where we are before we go on the road further."

This not evidence...what do you think

Go Postal

Quote from: protegewill on August 24, 2018, 02:52:42 pm
Has there been talks in the past about PA seriously considered moving up in classification to 6A maybe? Do you think they would be success consistently?
Isn't PA really considered a 4A school because of their size and that they have already moved up.  I'm not up to date on the private school rules.  The reason I say this is that in all other sports PA decided to be in 5A instead of 4A like some public schools (Batesville, Harrison, Morrilton, etc) had to drop to on this classification cycle.  I think that's right.

PA Dad

PA looks like a different team from what I saw in the scrimmage.  So far they are playing mistake free.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Go Postal on August 24, 2018, 03:30:23 pm
Isn't PA really considered a 4A school because of their size and that they have already moved up.  I'm not up to date on the private school rules.  The reason I say this is that in all other sports PA decided to be in 5A instead of 4A like some public schools (Batesville, Harrison, Morrilton, etc) had to drop to on this classification cycle.  I think that's right.

My last recollection is that PA is a size 3A, but with private school multiplier, moves up to 4A but PA asked to be moved up to 5A

Maynard G Krebs

Pa up 36-6 with 3:31 until half time

Looking for st maximus

sportsguy80

This game is getting way outta hand

Red Devil Alum

While the game is not over, it's 42-6 PA in the 2nd Quarter. Maybe this is why 7A schools don't want to play this 5A school.

Brian G

Lumberjackfan1978

PA Dad

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on August 24, 2018, 08:29:09 pm
This is PA

PA looks very good tonight but I'm not sure how much it tells us about the team.  We'll have to see how Harber does the rest of the year.  But I am encouraged to see them look like a typical PA team.

hogrock

I was not expecting this by PA...after the first couple of series jitters, absolutely flawless play calling by Coach K and execution by the players in every facet of the game.

Maynard G Krebs

PA pulls starters, Har-Ber scores on big pass play.   50-14 with 8 minutes left

Maynard G Krebs

Final 50-14.   PA team tonight was very different from the  scrimmage team I saw last week.

Yellowcake

Veeeeeerrrrrryyyyyy different. We steamrolled tonight. Wow. I spent the drive up wondering why I was driving up.

Wow.

yo

Wow!!  Putting up 40 plus points in the first half against any 7A team is pretty good.  I guess I got my answer about Hatcher's replacement. Whoever he is must have done a great job.  I was told Kelley had a "special" one coming in his pipeline but was led to believe he was a few years away. He always seems to have great QB's that put up crazy numbers in a tough system to defend. Congrats to PA

yo

I just read something about some Har-Ber kids being ejected.  Any one know anything about that?

STBruin

Quote from: Go Postal on August 24, 2018, 03:30:23 pm

From the number of kids enrolled, more like 3A...last I had heard.

STBruin

Quote from: yo on August 25, 2018, 08:13:54 am
I just read something about some Har-Ber kids being ejected.  Any one know anything about that?

Know they said on the live stream, #4 for Harber was ejected. But I quite watching after it became a mercy rule.

STBruin

Will be completely honest...DID NOT SEE THIS HAPPENING!!!! After the scrimmage, actually thought it could go the other way. Defense is going to be the strength of this team.

PA Dad

Quote from: STBruin on August 25, 2018, 09:53:12 am
Will be completely honest...DID NOT SEE THIS HAPPENING!!!! After the scrimmage, actually thought it could go the other way. Defense is going to be the strength of this team.

I agree.  The defense last night looked much better than last year.

But the offense wasn't too shabby either.

STBruin

Quote from: PA Dad on August 25, 2018, 09:56:34 am
I agree.  The defense last night looked much better than last year.

But the offense wasn't too shabby either.

Got to think, last year was the first year with out DC Woods, who in my opinion is a FREAKING DEFENSIVE GENIUS!!!!! So you have 2 young coaches calling defensive calls for the first time and putting together defensive game plans...hard to judge how good Harber is though...but in my opinion...defense will be the strong point this year for this team.

Offense...look what happens when you don't give the other team 7 turnovers in 3 quarters. Think the offense looked a lot better, got more WRs involved, but still did not look as smooth as it has looked in the last couple years, but they put up 50...so moving in the right direction...

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: yo on August 25, 2018, 08:13:54 am

A PA soph. got a late hit penalty on their sideline on a kickoff. Har-Ber bench cleared, by rule over half their team should have been ejected due to leaving "players box" during a "fight".  Only 1 Har-Ber player ejected, the one that started the mayhem with an uppercut under the face mask.

protegewill

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 24, 2018, 08:17:56 pm
While the game is not over, it's 42-6 PA in the 2nd Quarter. Maybe this is why 7A schools don't want to play this 5A school.

I applaud PA for a great game. But let's wait to see where Har Ber finishes the season.

HeberFan

So, any other 7A teams wanna schedule PA?  :o)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas