• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shot Clock in High School

Started by MercyDaddy, June 07, 2018, 03:50:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarhawg

November 18, 2018, 01:15:29 pm #50 Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 01:18:44 pm by Boarhawg
One coach's garbage is another coach's treasure. Having coached over thirty year of high school basketball I think it's a travesty not to have the shot clock.The game is progressing, we can't stubbornly hold on to the old ways. Not instituting it, in my humble opinion, is a feeble attempt to freeze the growth & progression of the game.Different agendas are at work here.

beach bum

You just opened up pandora's box.... Wait a day or two and all the regressive folks will come bashing this thread
with their doom and gloom of somehow this ruin's offense and defense with no merit to back up their claims.

I have even said 40 or 45 seconds would be a great start(at least its something)..... Then maybe after a two year window go down to 35 and keep it there. 35 seconds for the high school game seems very sensible.

sevenof400

Quote from: Boarhawg on November 18, 2018, 01:15:29 pm
One coach's garbage is another coach's treasure. Having coached over thirty year of high school basketball I think it's a travesty not to have the shot clock.The game is progressing, we can't stubbornly hold on to the old ways. Not instituting it, in my humble opinion, is a feeble attempt to freeze the growth & progression of the game.Different agendas are at work here.

It would seem. 

The growth and progression of the game......helped by a shot clock? 

sevenof400

Quote from: beach bum on November 18, 2018, 06:09:13 pm
You just opened up pandora's box.... Wait a day or two and all the regressive folks will come bashing this thread
with their doom and gloom of somehow this ruin's offense and defense with no merit to back up their claims.

I have even said 40 or 45 seconds would be a great start(at least its something)..... Then maybe after a two year window go down to 35 and keep it there. 35 seconds for the high school game seems very sensible.

See, I didn't make you wait that long, Beach Bum.   ;D

sevenof400

Also, y'all, as an aside there is another thread on this (with a slightly different focus) at

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=156067.0

Boarhawg

High level basketball players are able to perform at a faster pace. Adjusting to the speed of the game is the biggest challenge as young athlete move to different levels. A shot clock would speed up the game as force kids to perform & be sound at a quicker pace.

BballDad501

The shot clock was experiemented at the Dandra Thomas Classic and i thought it was wonderful. Not too many shot clock violations but it did lead to faster play and the girls had to be mindful of the clock in executing. Makes it more of a possession game. Big advocate for it

sevenof400

Quote from: Boarhawg on November 18, 2018, 10:23:11 pm
High level basketball players are able to perform at a faster pace. Adjusting to the speed of the game is the biggest challenge as young athlete move to different levels. A shot clock would speed up the game as force kids to perform & be sound at a quicker pace.

Defense can be played at a high tempo level. 
Defense.
It's a beautiful thing.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas