• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Waldron Head Football Coach/AD Job Vacancy

Started by Col. Nathan R. Jessup, May 01, 2018, 05:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

7AFball

May 12, 2018, 02:05:10 pm #100 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:54:08 pm by 7AFball
Quote from: BlueBass on May 12, 2018, 12:35:46 pm
Monday at 6:30 is board meeting if anyone would like to see if the board has our kids best interest in mind. I'm trying to get contact info on board, but can't find E-mail or phone numbers for them. Making them aware of situation would be great then they can not say they didn't really know.
True. But every school's selection committee varies, sometimes a solo person, such as an AD, and sometimes a complete board. It is what it is...

doggieskoot2

Waldron School Board

Brian Jones
Nicky Hunt
Eddie Harrison
Steve Ewing
Tammy Sherrill

Jimbo Morphis

School Boards should not be involved in hiring coaches.

BlueBass

Quote from: Oldman on May 14, 2018, 10:32:19 am
School Boards should not be involved in hiring coaches.

Why do feel this way? They are there to make sure the school is handling things in the best interest of the kids.

purpleswag

Quote from: BlueBass on May 14, 2018, 10:47:14 am
Why do feel this way? They are there to make sure the school is handling things in the best interest of the kids.

Then they should hire a sup that makes good decisions. That is who the school board hires to run the school so let him run it. If he doesn't do a good job find someone else

Bosshog34

After reading these messages, I am not sure why anyone would even consider going to Waldron.  Sounds to me like someone got their feelings hurt that their buddy didnt get the job and now has to bad mouth the guy they did hire.  Sure he only had one win last year, but it was his first job and that probably means he was taking over at a place that didnt have much talent or the previous coach wouldnt have left.  And we are still talking Waldron correct, not sure I remember them being a powerhouse football team in the past two decades.  Not like they have Hall of Fame coaches lining up to coach them Im sure.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Bosshog34 on May 14, 2018, 12:14:51 pm
After reading these messages, I am not sure why anyone would even consider going to Waldron.  Sounds to me like someone got their feelings hurt that their buddy didnt get the job and now has to bad mouth the guy they did hire.  Sure he only had one win last year, but it was his first job and that probably means he was taking over at a place that didnt have much talent or the previous coach wouldnt have left.  And we are still talking Waldron correct, not sure I remember them being a powerhouse football team in the past two decades.  Not like they have Hall of Fame coaches lining up to coach them Im sure.
A lot of things have changed in Waldron over the past couple of years,  I would think a young coach would jump at the chance to coach there.  They have good new facilities.  They have a good crop of young prospects coming up. I do not know if they will ever turn into a power house, but they can be a solid program in the 4A.

beach bum

May 14, 2018, 12:40:07 pm #107 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:48:49 pm by beach bum

You think you're making a post in defense of him, but you are actually only making it sound even worse that they hired him.... I think people would even understand if he went in three years something like this....1-9, 4-6, and 7-3...... That is still a losing overall record but at least they show improvement overall..... No normal program hires a guy with one year experience HC at 1-9. I don't know why you are even trying to justify it. It sounds like you are getting your feelings hurt over the rest of the posters on here being completely sensible thinking a one year, 1-9 coach in 2A is not what this program needs.

Bosshog34

How does that make him sound worse? The guy got a job as his first head coaching job and had zero talent.  How many coaches get a job and win immediately? Cant judge how good a head coach is after one season no matter where they coach at.  You have to give them time to develop talent and the guy did a great job with the junior high at Dierks.  He didnt have the pieces to work with in senior high. He will do a great job at Waldron if people give him a chance.

BlueBass

Quote from: Bosshog34 on May 14, 2018, 12:45:26 pm
How does that make him sound worse? The guy got a job as his first head coaching job and had zero talent.  How many coaches get a job and win immediately? Cant judge how good a head coach is after one season no matter where they coach at.  You have to give them time to develop talent and the guy did a great job with the junior high at Dierks.  He didnt have the pieces to work with in senior high. He will do a great job at Waldron if people give him a chance.

Its nothing against the guy just doesn't add up. Regardless the reasons of a 1-9 record the facts are he has had one job, and went 1-9. We are taking steps in the right direction, and need to make a sound hire.

PrivateLesson

Really?   So every Coach in Arkansas should just use the excuse 'It's Waldron" and not bother with actually wanting to help kids?

Say what you want but Ricky May came from a power house football program and has had Waldron moving in the right direction.

You guys with all the excuses and justifications no longer fly. 

PrivateLesson

Man......

It's times like these I hear the old fearless friday voice of Coach Venny!  LOL!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 14, 2018, 12:34:35 pm
A lot of things have changed in Waldron over the past couple of years,  I would think a young coach would jump at the chance to coach there.  They have good new facilities.  They have a good crop of young prospects coming up. I do not know if they will ever turn into a power house, but they can be a solid program in the 4A.

Waldron is arbitrarily a 6-5 or a 5-5 team with a playoff appearance every so many years.  That is usually par for Waldron. 

Competitive and what changed I heard from some is that the teams that played Waldron.....they had to beat them.  It wasn't this roll over 48-0 wins. 

nastynice

Word is that some of the board members are upset about the potential hire and are doing what they can to stop it......

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: BlueBass on May 14, 2018, 10:47:14 am
Because many board members know nothing about football. Their job is to make sure they back the super or to get a new super.

BlueBass

those board members got my vote. Allow your sup to do their job unless it is obviously a bad hire.

BlueBass

Quote from: beach bum on May 14, 2018, 12:40:07 pm
You think you're making a post in defense of him, but you are actually only making it sound even worse that they hired him.... I think people would even understand if he went in three years something like this....1-9, 4-6, and 7-3...... That is still a losing overall record but at least they show improvement overall..... No normal program hires a guy with one year experience HC at 1-9. I don't know why you are even trying to justify it. It sounds like you are getting your feelings hurt over the rest of the posters on here being completely sensible thinking a one year, 1-9 coach in 2A is not what this program needs.

+1 just common sense don't have to know much about football to understand this is not logical.

arkansasFBscoop

May 14, 2018, 06:33:34 pm #117 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:35:54 pm by arkansasFBscoop
Quote from: Bosshog34 on May 14, 2018, 12:45:26 pm

The rub is this - other candidates for that job were MUCH more qualified.  The administration chose not to undertake a real interview process, from all accounts.  IF Coach Bates was the best candidate from a legit process - good for him and best of luck.  Everything points to a sham process being conducted and the kids in that program - and every program in the state - deserve better.  I think the venom is being directed at Bates himself when it shouldn't be.  The administration should be the object of frustration.

That said, will be interested in see if this gets approved at Waldron's board meeting.

BlueBass

Redlinebacker32

Congratulations to Coach Bates and family on being hired as the next Waldron head football coach. Talked to him tonight and he's excited to get started. The community supports you coach!

BlueBass

Hope the best for coach Bates, but superintendent and board just showed how important our kids are to them.

purpleswag

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on May 14, 2018, 10:46:29 pm
Congratulations to Coach Bates and family on being hired as the next Waldron head football coach. Talked to him tonight and he's excited to get started. The community supports you coach!

Doesn't seem like it

Redlinebacker32

I understand that a lot of people are upset, but if the community is already down on him, then the players will hear about it and lose heart too. Need to support the players and in doing that, the new coach needs supported as well.

BlueBass

Quote from: Redlinebacker32 on May 15, 2018, 08:27:41 am
I understand that a lot of people are upset, but if the community is already down on him, then the players will hear about it and lose heart too. Need to support the players and in doing that, the new coach needs supported as well.

I understand your point, but if people just let this go it will keep happening, and powers that be figure it will just blow over, and they can continue to make poor decisions.

Jimbo Morphis

beach bum

I have to agree with oldman that in general I don't want school board involved except in extremely rare situations. This may be one of those rare scenarios. That's up to the people of Waldron to decide. Just look at the people on your school board and ask yourself if you want those people making decisions. When I went to early vote today I almost laughed looking at the names on the school board ballot. Small town politics are something else and a joke...

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: beach bum on May 15, 2018, 11:35:40 am
I have to agree with oldman that in general I don't want school board involved except in extremely rare situations. This may be one of those rare scenarios. That's up to the people of Waldron to decide. Just look at the people on your school board and ask yourself if you want those people making decisions. When I went to early vote today I almost laughed looking at the names on the school board ballot. Small town politics are something else and a joke...

You have a year to get your name on there for next election............

Gray lizard

I have served my time on a school board.  It takes a balance of good people for it to work correct. The power should not be any individual person but the board as a whole.  The boards job is to hold the superintendent accountable for the budget and his staff under him.  If the super does a good job support.  If not replace.  The main problem is most people wanting on a school board have an agenda going into it.  I have done a lot of volunteer work over my years.  I have to say serving on a school board has to be the most thankless of any.
I remember one time the superintendent brought a new hire for a science position.  I looked at the applicant and said I can't approve this person.  All D's on his college transcript in all science subjects. The super said this is the only applicant period, but this person has matured and will make a good teacher.  Funny we trusted the supper and the person turned out to be my sons favorite science teacher and a great teacher.  My son is in Doctorate school now working in the science field of geology.

beach bum

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on May 15, 2018, 01:25:58 pm
You have a year to get your name on there for next election............

I can't do that.... I have no children and never will have any so that's that for my future school board dreams  ;D

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 15, 2018, 01:52:40 pm
I have served my time on a school board.  It takes a balance of good people for it to work correct. The power should not be any individual person but the board as a whole.  The boards job is to hold the superintendent accountable for the budget and his staff under him.  If the super does a good job support.  If not replace.  The main problem is most people wanting on a school board have an agenda going into it.  I have done a lot of volunteer work over my years.  I have to say serving on a school board has to be the most thankless of any.
I remember one time the superintendent brought a new hire for a science position.  I looked at the applicant and said I can't approve this person.  All D's on his college transcript in all science subjects. The super said this is the only applicant period, but this person has matured and will make a good teacher.  Funny we trusted the supper and the person turned out to be my sons favorite science teacher and a great teacher.  My son is in Doctorate school now working in the science field of geology.

That is very impressive and something to be proud of.... I have always loved geology.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beach bum on May 15, 2018, 02:00:28 pm
I can't do that.... I have no children and never will have any so that's that for my future school board dreams  ;D
Is that a requirement?

beach bum

Quote from: Oldman on May 15, 2018, 02:01:49 pm
Is that a requirement?

I thought that it was in our district. Someone may tell me I am wrong, but from my understanding in our district you must have current children in the district. If I am wrong I hope someone corrects me. Although, that does not seem correct cause when I just paid my taxes on my 2 vehicles my money just went to the schools so I am hoping I am incorrect on my statement.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Oldman on May 15, 2018, 02:01:49 pm
Is that a requirement?
I would hope not. Just have to live in the district to my knowledge  You do not have to have a child in the district to care about the education offered. I think it could even be an objective plus if you did not have a child.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beach bum on May 15, 2018, 02:05:03 pm
I thought that it was in our district. Someone may tell me I am wrong, but from my understanding in our district you must have current children in the district. If I am wrong I hope someone corrects me. Although, that does not seem correct cause when I just paid my taxes on my 2 vehicles my money just went to the schools so I am hoping I am incorrect on my statement.
I was joking, I don't think they can do that.

Blue

I can understand you guys being upset when you look at Coach Bates record. Give the guy a chance and please do not judge him by his record at Dierks. The season before he came to Dierks we had a stacked Sr class 17 kids that done most of the work. The coach that was here previously to Bates knew he was 1 and done so he did nothing to get the young guys any experience. Bates came highly recommended by one of the most respected coaches in the state so I know he can coach. Watch any Dierks film from that 1-9 season they never quit fought their guts out every game, they werent piling up wins but they represented their school very well. Judge him in 2 years I will check back to see if your opinions have changed. Good luck

BlueBass

Folks can put sugar on it all they want, but facts remain he only has 1 year head coaching experience with 1-9 record. Our admin was tasked with putting the best people in place for our kids. I mean saying a really good coach said he was good probably sold the deal over several other far more qualified applicants. He may end up doing great, but with current resume shouldn't have been anywhere near short list of applicants. This whole process was a complete failure on the admins part. Wonder if they will post all of the people who applied?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: BlueBass on May 15, 2018, 09:23:56 pm
Folks can put sugar on it all they want, but facts remain he only has 1 year head coaching experience with 1-9 record. Our admin was tasked with putting the best people in place for our kids. I mean saying a really good coach said he was good probably sold the deal over several other far more qualified applicants. He may end up doing great, but with current resume shouldn't have been anywhere near short list of applicants. This whole process was a complete failure on the admins part. Wonder if they will post all of the people who applied?

So who are these "far more qualified applicants"?

BlueBass

May 16, 2018, 08:40:55 am #137 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:43:46 am by BlueBass
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 16, 2018, 08:25:22 am
So who are these "far more qualified applicants"?

Odds are we will never know all of the applicants. Wonder if that falls under freedom of information. I would like a list of All that applied not just interviewed. Not sure if they even interviewed anybody. I have considered just letting it be, but i've got kids fixing to come through the program, and we finally got going in the right direction. Crap like this just keeps knocking us back down to the gutter.

Dayton Kitchens

I asked this and it was answered in the 2A forum a couple of years ago.    How many head coaching jobs are REALLY open to general applicants? 

The answer is:   Virtually none of them.   Especially in smaller schools but I'm sure it applies to larger schools which do not have an extensive reputation of success in football.   Most schools don't have "search committees" or anyone other than the superintendent to find a head football coach.   And most schools don't get several coaches with state titles and 100 wins on their resume's either.

A superintendent knows full well its his/her butt on the line if a head coach fails so they try to reduce the uncertainty as much as possible.    They hire someone they know or someone recommended by someone they know.    It isn't about who is "best for the kids" or who can "build the program".    It is about being a known rather than an unknown.

Look at it from the superintendents point of view.   When parents and booster club members come asking early in the season "What do you know about this guy?" what does the superintendent want to be able to say?

"I don't know a thing about him"

or

"I've known him for years"/"He came highly recommended".

doggieskoot2

Cody.........Atkins   94 career wins     the last couple of years has been very good.  Nice playoff run in 2016
Hutson......Paris    119 career wins     has coached on multiple levels.  Also has a masters degree

RZback

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on May 16, 2018, 10:44:04 am
Cody.........Atkins   94 career wins     the last couple of years has been very good.  Nice playoff run in 2016
Hutson......Paris    119 career wins     has coached on multiple levels.  Also has a masters degree

Two very well regarded coaches.  Out of curiosity I looked up their coaching records, a little over 500.  53 and 58% career.  Just shows that even the good ones have some rough years. Coaches I know say its about talent, Jimmys and Joes.

HorseFeathers

Why would Hutson leave Paris? Didn't he step down at NLR to go home?

Truthfully

May 16, 2018, 05:24:50 pm #142 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:51:37 pm by Truthfully
Quote from: HorseFeathers on May 16, 2018, 11:53:58 am
Why would Hutson leave Paris? Didn't he step down at NLR to go home?
Yes he went home and after his last son graduated he became HS Principal and AD, having his administrative certification. He was asked to go back to HC at the urging of the assistant coaches when the former coach left... You can never take the coaching desires out of a coach. They are always there. A good, long time assistant coach went into administration recently and that hurt a lot, since there will be no replacement I hear.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Oldman on May 15, 2018, 11:18:46 am
Waldron on the road to anarchy.
LOL!  That's hilarious!  😂 

And like sands through the hourglass...so are the days of our lives...

fbhound

May 16, 2018, 07:43:19 pm #144 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:48:32 pm by fbhound
Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 16, 2018, 07:37:24 pm
LOL!  That's hilarious!  😂 

And like sands through the hourglass...so are the days of our lives...
I watch Days of Our Lives too, almost every day. But, this Waldron situation is a "done deal" now as with all OTHER coaching changes seen elsewhere on FF, about 30 or so new HC changes with 6-7 unfilled spots. Time to move on to other FF new subjects I think. Good luck to Waldron. If they lose students then they will drop back down to 3A. Interesting thought. Now back to DOOL..

PrivateLesson

Quote from: fbhound on May 16, 2018, 07:43:19 pm
I watch Days of Our Lives too, almost every day. But, this Waldron situation is a "done deal" now as with all OTHER coaching changes seen elsewhere on FF, about 30 or so new HC changes with 6-7 unfilled spots. Time to move on to other FF new subjects I think. Good luck to Waldron. If they lose students then they will drop back down to 3A. Interesting thought. Now back to DOOL..
Hmmmm.... interesting thought, indeed.

Decades ago the confeeence only went to 5A and Waldron was a 2A and even 3A school but that's been long long long ago...just like Alma and Greenwood at one time.   Conferences were expanded years ago.    Time changes things. 

Waldron can only hope that they can stay in the conference they are in...4-4A.   

PrivateLesson

Atkins is tough.   Great football program

papaeagle

Quote from: PrivateLesson on May 16, 2018, 08:27:50 pm
Hmmmm.... interesting thought, indeed.

Decades ago the confeeence only went to 5A and Waldron was a 2A and even 3A school but that's been long long long ago...just like Alma and Greenwood at one time.   Conferences were expanded years ago.    Time changes things. 

Waldron can only hope that they can stay in the conference they are in...4-4A.
I go back a bit more than you, back when it was the Big 5 or Big 6 then Big 7 schools and when Ark HS football was Class B through 3A only. And the playoffs in the early 1950s were sometimes between 4 schools only, the others not willing to travel for game #11. Then there were NO playoffs between about 1954 until late 1960s. Then football B was deleted and 1A thru 3A state champs were the "media champs" designated by final rankings by the AP.  :)

Then, as you say, towns grew, and only basketball was B, the lowest level for football was 1A at one time. Now 2A is the lowest football (1A for basketball),  and we have class 3A thru 7A with many schools throughout the state. Gosh time changes in just 60 years!!! SIXTY... ouch!! LOL  Giving away my age. It was way before Fearless Friday and a 4 game playoff season and playing maybe 14 games in one year. The basketball coaches HATE it since some good players don't get to start basketball until football season is over their town.  :D

BlueNGold52

I just want to say I think you guys have gotten yourselves a good coach and mentor for your kids. Coach Bates is good coach and he is a great disciplinarian which in my opinion is one of the biggest keys to building a program. He will take no bull from his players on the field or classroom. His strength and conditioning program is very good and tailored to each player group. My son played for him for 3yrs in Jr high and that team went on to win a 2A state title and 2A state runner-up this past season. He will plant the seeds of success in your program if he is given the time, talent, and allowed coach without constant garbage from parents and board which tends to plague high school sports nowadays. Just my opinion but good luck!!

BlueCrew4U

I'm curious as to why Waldron thinks ANY coach who has had success would want to go there?  They obviously don't have a ton of talent and the community seems to have NO idea how to support football... yet they think they can pick and choose from the elite ranks who they want to lead their program?  WOW.
Not many coaches will want to take the reigns of a program that can go 5-5 on a good year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas