• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mammoth girls opening

Started by Sparklemoon, March 16, 2018, 10:09:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigman3

Quote from: fann07 on April 03, 2018, 08:12:45 am

Guardianship can not be used for eligibility purposes. It's must be court approved adoption.
This is true, but what if that's what they are doing? That was my question is how is the court going to approve that since she lives with her parents right now.

riccoar

Quote from: thebigman3 on April 03, 2018, 09:52:08 am
This is true, but what if that's what they are doing? That was my question is how is the court going to approve that since she lives with her parents right now.
Fann is correct, I guess I was holding out hope that parent's hadn't lost their dang minds just to have a chance at a championship.  But like I said, it would be up to another school to file a protest and demand the AAA investigate.  You have any faith in that happening?  I don't.

OB11

Anyone care to elaborate on what started all this in the first place?

thebigman3

Quote from: OB11 on April 03, 2018, 10:40:53 am
Anyone care to elaborate on what started all this in the first place?
What started what? Her wanting to move? Or the eligibility rules the AAA put into place?

bleudog

April 03, 2018, 02:24:05 pm #54 Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:21:46 pm by bleudog
Maybe she's getting married.    ::)

http://katv.com/news/local/vows-to-victories

OB11

Quote from: thebigman3 on April 03, 2018, 12:54:49 pm
What started what? Her wanting to move? Or the eligibility rules the AAA put into place?

The move.

riccoar

Peaches101

I first heard that Ron Smith was taking the girls job at Mammoth. Now I am hearing he is backing out because the Lane girl is out. Any truth to this rumor?

redrider30

I heard today that he is staying at Harrisburg.

Informant

Smith is staying at Harrisburg.  Safe to say this job was a lot more appealing when Layne was on the team.  No one seems to want the job without her.

mathguy

What do they have coming back?

Informant

Everyone minus Layne.  Went 29-11 and lost in the Quarterfinals of State.  Without Layne, I'd expect them to fall off quite a bit. With a better coach, they could have made a run to the finals this past year and definitely next year.  Be lucky to make state tournament now.   

Woodrow1

Quote from: Informant on April 10, 2018, 10:49:44 am
Everyone minus Layne.  Went 29-11 and lost in the Quarterfinals of State.  Without Layne, I'd expect them to fall off quite a bit. With a better coach, they could have made a run to the finals this past year and definitely next year.  Be lucky to make state tournament now.

In the games that I saw Layne was their second best player.   I'm not sure she even reached double digits, and had quite a few turnovers.....

Informant

Quote from: Woodrow1 on April 10, 2018, 10:52:35 am
In the games that I saw Layne was their second best player.   I'm not sure she even reached double digits, and had quite a few turnovers.....

She's a three time All-State Player and a Finals MVP.  She was by far their best player.  Now she is Norfork's best player.  Even with all that talent they have.

Her coach didn't understand how to coach her.  With a player like her, you have to know you're going to see all kinds of Box and 1's, double teams and special defenses. He did nothing to counter act any of this.  If she averaged 20 a game, she created 15 of it on her own.  So its understandable if she had a couple games with a few turnovers and less than 10 points.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Informant on April 10, 2018, 11:03:13 am

She's a three time All-State Player and a Finals MVP.  She was by far their best player.  Now she is Norfork's best player.  Even with all that talent they have.

Her coach didn't understand how to coach her.  With a player like her, you have to know you're going to see all kinds of Box and 1's, double teams and special defenses. He did nothing to counter act any of this.  If she averaged 20 a game, she created 15 of it on her own.  So its understandable if she had a couple games with a few turnovers and less than 10 points.

If they were good enough to make it to the finals I would've thought surely one of the others would've stepped up against a junk defense.  There's only so much a coach can do.  Having only had her for one season it's safe to say that probably he didn't know how to coach her. 
She is a talented player for sure.  She will help fill that point guard  spot for Norfork that will be left open.

Informant

They lost to a Kirby team they had beaten by 20 earlier in the year.  They were good enough to go to the finals.  You are right, a coach can only do so much. He could have done better and more.  Laymon will be able to put her in scoring situations without her having to run through a wall for it.

Woodrow1

Quote from: Informant on April 10, 2018, 11:03:13 am

I agree she can play.  But the head coach gets to pick the finals MVP.  Who do you think the guy was going to pick.  LOL.  I watched that finals game, and the post player deserved that honor as well. 

Mammoth's post girl can play as well!  But Bay had a better supporting cast that made Layne better.  She isn't the type of player to be able to take a game over by herself.  Not fast enough or big enough.....

As I have said before on here, I would never move my kid because of a coach or to be on a better team.

Informant

Quote from: Woodrow1 on April 10, 2018, 04:01:40 pm
I agree she can play.  But the head coach gets to pick the finals MVP.  Who do you think the guy was going to pick.  LOL.  I watched that finals game, and the post player deserved that honor as well. 

Mammoth's post girl can play as well!  But Bay had a better supporting cast that made Layne better.  She isn't the type of player to be able to take a game over by herself.  Not fast enough or big enough.....

As I have said before on here, I would never move my kid because of a coach or to be on a better team.

MVP is chosen prior to the game being played.  Finals game rarely factors in to the decision unless one player has an exceptional game, which is rare.  I'm assuming you're saying this based on who her father is?  So she shouldn't win MVP because of her dad?  That's not right at all.  She deserved it all season long. 

Mammoths post can play yes but not near the caliber of Layne.  They are decent team without Layne and a title threat with her.  This point will be proven this coming year.  Very few players of any level on any team can "take over" a game.  Layne merely being on the floor helps control the game, often in her teams favor. 

I can understand your view on not moving your child.  This is a very debatable topic.  I'd venture to say in most cases if the kid wanted to move, then it would happen.   

Bears_94

The  best player for Mammoth isn't playing next year. I haven't heard what school she's playing for. Norfork obviously will be in the running again. I thought we would still have a chance but our team is falling apart at a quick pace.
Quote from: Informant on April 11, 2018, 09:05:05 am
MVP is chosen prior to the game being played.  Finals game rarely factors in to the decision unless one player has an exceptional game, which is rare.  I'm assuming you're saying this based on who her father is?  So she shouldn't win MVP because of her dad?  That's not right at all.  She deserved it all season long. 

Mammoths post can play yes but not near the caliber of Layne.  They are decent team without Layne and a title threat with her.  This point will be proven this coming year.  Very few players of any level on any team can "take over" a game.  Layne merely being on the floor helps control the game, often in her teams favor. 

I can understand your view on not moving your child.  This is a very debatable topic.  I'd venture to say in most cases if the kid wanted to move, then it would happen.

Informant

That is unfortunate.  Group could have been a special group. 

Moonshiner

Quote from: Informant on April 11, 2018, 01:46:35 pm
That is unfortunate.  Group could have been a special group.

They also had a bit of bad luck late in the year.  Having the good post player get mono late was a tough break.

Informant

Who are they looking at bringing in now?

underdog678

The Mammoth coach did not leave, he was fired. Have heard Chip Layne wanted to coach, but the board would not let him. Right around when that happened, Layne moved to Norfork and became legally adopted by her grandparents that live there. All while her dad is superintendent at Mammoth. Just seems really sad to me.

Flobbito

Quote from: underdog678 on April 12, 2018, 12:29:56 pm
The Mammoth coach did not leave, he was fired. Have heard Chip Layne wanted to coach, but the board would not let him. Right around when that happened, Layne moved to Norfork and became legally adopted by her grandparents that live there. All while her dad is superintendent at Mammoth. Just seems really sad to me.

So many 1A schools behave like Banana Republics.  So she has played for three schools in three years... well if she doesn't get that ring at least she'll have the fond memories and lasting friendships from her high school days.

Informant

I don't think its singular to 1A.  Many players, parents, fans act this way.  Example... Batesville Southside this past season.  Also, not to be petty, but my understanding was that he was reassigned, not fired.  Meaning he's still around those girls and still on campus. Judging by his performance this season, I don't think he'll be leaving to take another coaching gig.I'm betting a lot of the negative feedback from this landed on her dad and by association, landed on her too.  The board not wanting him to coach and be superintendent is a smart move on their part.  He'd be a one and done for certain.  Loyalty is a thing of the past especially in sports now days.  Hope they find a coach willing to work the entire program.  Honestly hope Layne gets that second ring she's clearly going after.  Can't say I wouldn't let my kid do it too.

bbfan89

The Mammoth school board will probably wise up after the stuff that has happened recently. way too much drama and all centered around girls basketball. It is a sad state of affairs when a particular player and parent can play with peoples careers. Coaches being reassigned or coaches hired and let go because a kid or the parent wants you gone is sorry.

riccoar

The superintendent does not have the authority to hire or fire.  Only the school board can do that.

bleudog

April 26, 2018, 08:38:16 am #77 Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:45:56 pm by bleudog
Quote from: riccoar on April 26, 2018, 06:31:16 am
The superintendent does not have the authority to hire or fire.  Only the school board can do that.

Technically correct but:

"the law requires school boards to hire a qualified superintendent
to carry out the necessary administrative duties. Suspension, termination,
or non-renewal of a district employee must come only after the
recommendation of the superintendent. A school board doesn't have the
legal authority to take action against an employee's contract without the
superintendent's recommendation
."

"The superintendent recommends candidates for employment but can't actually
hire anyone. Only the board can perform this function."

http://arsba.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ASBA_Handbook.pdf (page 22 and 23)

The gist of the process is the only position a board should be directly responsible for search, selection, offer, subsequent ongoing evaluation and discipline (up to and including termination) is that of superintendent.

riccoar

Which would indicate they probably were in agreement with the process.  Hence, there probably won't be any wising up by the board. But politics seem to work their way to where certain folks can wield pretty broad power.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas