• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best 1A players

Started by hasbeen, March 03, 2018, 09:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CCEAGLES22

Quote from: Hero of Twin Groves on March 04, 2018, 11:40:18 am
I'm with hooper I think the guy kids are d1 capable and d2 capable. I get to play against them on Sunday's at hutch arena and they can flat go. Any college coach would love the discipline and hard work these kids would bring to the table. Be a sad day if they don't pan out. Good thing is they have the history of hutchs players going and to successful college careers.
D1 is a whole different level man.  You can't tell me Guy has two players close to D1. 

CCEAGLES22

Quote from: dunkman on March 05, 2018, 09:33:47 am
Not sure how much college ball you guys watch, but that next level is huge no matter what level from JRCO to D1. Its a big mans sports anymore. That's why not many high school players ever make it. And 1A ball has very few. The 5'10 to 6'2 players are a dime a dozen don't matter how good you are, because at next level you got a 6'5 plus on you.
Best PG's are usually 6-3 and under, even in the NBA

Flobbito

Quote from: Bigpoppa on March 06, 2018, 01:39:08 pm
On the Hardy kid, her offense needs work, but I think she is guard dependent as a scorer - and the guards don't utilize her height match ups enough. Her height and length cause a lot of problems in the paint on defense. She has had a ton of blocks and altered a lot more. Like one fan put it - it is Raby's offense and Hardy's defense. If Mt Vernon figures out how to utilize her against an undersized Wonderview team - it could make the difference. Pretty sure she is getting several looks from colleges due to her combination of height and athleticism. I saw three colleges talk to her and her dad at the Final Four.

You hit it on the nose.  That offense relies on guard play, she is there to rebound and get the occasional pass so she can try to score a bucket in the paint.  Her defense inside is good, and she has worked on developing and outside shot.  If you saw her as a sophomore, you know she improved her shooting form a ton.  If the rumors I heard were true, she didn't play basketball until 7th grade, so she had some catching up to do.

Flobbito

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on March 04, 2018, 10:54:50 am
Guess I'm missing something. Martin has been best player as votes by coaches, since he was their all state kid last couple years. Then the number 5 boy is the one who quit last year and then they fell apart late without him playing.
This year, without the boy who moved, they were actually a more talented team. So either you're saying the moved up 10th graders are better than him, or he wasn't actually their best player, or maybe their chemistry was better without him. I dunno but something don't add up there.

I don't know Tipton, or any of the other MVE kids (though Tipton is Guy's kid now) by anything other than reputation and what I can see in 32 minutes on the court.  I have thought for the last few years that Tipton was a very good player, but if things start going wrong for him, he can't get out of his head enough to shake it.  I think at times he felt like he had to take a game over (and sometimes he did) to get the win, but if he missed a few shots or made a few turn overs, it was like watching him struggle to get out of quicksand.  #23 Brantley who was a Sophomore for MVE this year was like a younger more confident version of Tipton, just lacks some experience.  If the rumors on FF are true, though, he and the new coach don't get along and he may transfer next year.  I have talked to a lot of people in the stands, including my normal MVE gossip go-to's and no one else corroborates this.  Replacing Adcock and Martin will be hard, but MVE will still be a decent team next year.

riccoar

Quote from: CCEAGLES22 on March 06, 2018, 03:00:21 pm
D1 is a whole different level man.  You can't tell me Guy has two players close to D1.
There is not a D1 or D2 player on Guy.  Not even close.

Ctucker

Quote from: hooperfromwestside on March 04, 2018, 10:59:08 am
Minton On guy-D1 capable
Petrucceli On guy-d1 capable
Spires On guy- d2 capable
Tipton-could possibly go somewhere
You have lost your mind

thebigman3

I think ya'll are giving more credit to D1 than it needs. I don't think anyone on here is saying they can go to the SEC, ACC, or Big East. I've watched many smaller D1 Schools that I have sat their and thought "a !a kid could play here" teams like Incarnate Word, UCA even (but they are pretty good and anyone in 1a would probably red shirt to improve for a year) or Oral Roberts. Teams like that and even smaller.

Bigpoppa

Quote from: thebigman3 on March 07, 2018, 08:50:27 am
I think ya'll are giving more credit to D1 than it needs. I don't think anyone on here is saying they can go to the SEC, ACC, or Big East. I've watched many smaller D1 Schools that I have sat their and thought "a !a kid could play here" teams like Incarnate Word, UCA even (but they are pretty good and anyone in 1a would probably red shirt to improve for a year) or Oral Roberts. Teams like that and even smaller.

So is Incarnate Word, UCA, or Oral Roberts looking at any of this D1 talent? If you are correct, you would think UCA would save their recruiting budget and call Hutch for some kids.  I think if you looked at their rosters - you would see a lot of kids bigger than 6'6" - and a whole lot of kids 6'8" and bigger. Pretty sure UCA and IC had 7 footers! Even if a kid has the size and speed - is anyone making sure they are academically eligible, taking the ACT test, and registering with the NCAA Clearinghouse?

riccoar

Quote from: thebigman3 on March 07, 2018, 08:50:27 am
Have not seen MVE play, but I've seen Guy and all the Boys in South.  Not a D1 or D2 player in there.  NAIA, maybe.  Even at that level, they still are looking at guys that are 6-3 plus.

Bigpoppa

Quote from: riccoar on March 07, 2018, 10:33:55 am
Have not seen MVE play, but I've seen Guy and all the Boys in South.  Not a D1 or D2 player in there.  NAIA, maybe.  Even at that level, they still are looking at guys that are 6-3 plus.

I agree. D3/NAIA at best. I want the best for any kid in our area, but we need to be realistic. But, it doesn't matter what we think - it matters what colleges think. If there is D1 talent on the court Saturday - it will be very evident by the amount of colleges that are there recruiting and the amount of offers that come in. I think there are some folks setting themselves up for a let down.

D1   D2   D3/NAIA   NJCAA
Point Guard   6'1+   6'0+   5'10+   5'9+
Shooting Guard   6'3+   6'2+   6'0+           5'10+
Small Forward   6'5+   6'4+   6'3+           6'3+
Power Forward   6'7+   6'6+   6'5+           6'4+
Center           6'9+   6'8+   6'7+           6'6+

thebigman3

Jordan Howard is UCA best layer at 5'11 on a good day. Besides the point. Not saying any of these kids are Jordan Howard, but neither was Jordan Howard at one point. These kids have not reached their full potential. And no none of the Guy kids are getting looked at by those schools, but that was also not the point in that post. And NAIA at best? There are many players in 1a that can go NAIA. Crowley's Ridge, CBC, for sure. Lyonn too at D3. Williams Baptist too. They seem to like 1a. I mean these kids arent terrible.

riccoar

Quote from: thebigman3 on March 07, 2018, 01:00:32 pm
Jordan Howard is UCA best layer at 5'11 on a good day. Besides the point. Not saying any of these kids are Jordan Howard, but neither was Jordan Howard at one point. These kids have not reached their full potential. And no none of the Guy kids are getting looked at by those schools, but that was also not the point in that post. And NAIA at best? There are many players in 1a that can go NAIA. Crowley's Ridge, CBC, for sure. Lyonn too at D3. Williams Baptist too. They seem to like 1a. I mean these kids arent terrible.
Forgive me if you took it that way.  They are not terrible players at all, it's just a very big leap from HS to any college playing.  And D3 and NAIA also recruit nationally so you are not talking about placing these kids into a pool of players in Arkansas.  And Minton is the best player on Guy.

thebigman3

Quote from: riccoar on March 07, 2018, 01:28:40 pm
Forgive me if you took it that way.  They are not terrible players at all, it's just a very big leap from HS to any college playing.  And D3 and NAIA also recruit nationally so you are not talking about placing these kids into a pool of players in Arkansas.  And Minton is the best player on Guy.
I agree with that whole statement. +1

SackAttack

Quote from: Bigpoppa on March 07, 2018, 10:21:56 am
So is Incarnate Word, UCA, or Oral Roberts looking at any of this D1 talent? If you are correct, you would think UCA would save their recruiting budget and call Hutch for some kids.  I think if you looked at their rosters - you would see a lot of kids bigger than 6'6" - and a whole lot of kids 6'8" and bigger. Pretty sure UCA and IC had 7 footers! Even if a kid has the size and speed - is anyone making sure they are academically eligible, taking the ACT test, and registering with the NCAA Clearinghouse?
No because there is no D1 talent at Guy! Just like last year and the year before that and the year before that and well everyone gets the point!

RedWolf275

Bigpoppa

Quote from: thebigman3 on March 07, 2018, 01:00:32 pm
I would agree on the NCAA D3 (no athletic scholarships), NAIA level (very few, if any full rides), and even D2 JUCO (can give tuition only at max). Henderson, Ouachita, UAM, SAU are all instate D2's that should be offering if they are above that talent level. Like I said, they are good 1A players - heck they may be good 7A players - that doesn't mean there is ANY D1 talent on the floor, especially not 3 of them, like was stated previously. But, yes - there are several $20K a year schools that would give them a partial scholarship if their grades and ACT scores are good.

1Lurker

There's a lot of talk on here about these Guy kids. Maybe I'm the only one not seeing it. ICC has the best 2 players on the floor come Saturday. People badly underestimate a couple of the other kids from ICC as well, I do not see Guy as having a talent advantage, just don't see it.

SackAttack

Quote from: Bigpoppa on March 07, 2018, 04:03:55 pm
I would agree on the NCAA D3 (no athletic scholarships), NAIA level (very few, if any full rides), and even D2 JUCO (can give tuition only at max). Henderson, Ouachita, UAM, SAU are all instate D2's that should be offering if they are above that talent level. Like I said, they are good 1A players - heck they may be good 7A players - that doesn't mean there is ANY D1 talent on the floor, especially not 3 of them, like was stated previously. But, yes - there are several $20K a year schools that would give them a partial scholarship if their grades and ACT scores are good.
LOL grades and ACT scores in the same sentence as Guy!! Just doesn't fit

bigballerbrand1200

Quote from: SackAttack on March 07, 2018, 09:36:29 pm
LOL grades and ACT scores in the same sentence as Guy!! Just doesn't fit
State championships and Westside don't belong in the same sentence.

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: bigballerbrand1200 on March 07, 2018, 09:51:37 pm
State championships and Westside don't belong in the same sentence.
Actually they do!  We have them in both boys and girls!  Without moving kids in to get them.  Hard to do I know.  That's why most schools have very few some have a bunch.  I'll anxious to see where Guays D1 players play next year.  We will see hopefully I'm surprised but I bet I won't be

thebigman3

This thread has quickly went from "Best 1a Players" to "Which players from Guy can got to college"

Backboard Shattered

Ballard had letters to go to Memphis I saw them

CCEAGLES22

Bigpoppa

Quote from: Backboard Shattered on March 08, 2018, 10:11:49 am
Ballard had letters to go to Memphis I saw them
Big difference between getting a letter and getting an offer

Chicky

Quote from: 1Lurker on March 07, 2018, 04:10:25 pm
There's a lot of talk on here about these Guy kids. Maybe I'm the only one not seeing it. ICC has the best 2 players on the floor come Saturday. People badly underestimate a couple of the other kids from ICC as well, I do not see Guy as having a talent advantage, just don't see it.
agreed

thebigman3

Quote from: FromTheBench on March 05, 2018, 08:51:58 am
You will never work for a professional scouting company. Spires is the laziest player in the state, no college coach would want that. Petrucelli is fast but not D1 fast and way too small, maybe D3. Minton is their best overall person and player. Would like to see him play somewhere, but the level of play from even NAIA and up is insanely higher than any good basketball team in high school. Tipton would never make it in college program..PERIOD
hey, the laziest player in the state just broke the rebounding record for a state championship game. GOH lil boy.

hooperfromwestside

Quote from: thebigman3 on March 10, 2018, 11:11:55 pm
hey, the laziest player in the state just broke the rebounding record for a state championship game. GOH lil boy.
Yeah tell them boy, gtfo

Central Ark

Quote from: hooperfromwestside on March 10, 2018, 11:38:59 pm
Yeah tell them boy, gtfo
You lost all credibility with this account when everybody figured out it was a double account. Go make another again.

Backboard Shattered

March 11, 2018, 11:17:48 am #128 Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:27:06 am by Backboard Shattered
Quote from: Central Ark on March 11, 2018, 10:41:32 am
You lost all credibility with this account when everybody figured out it was a double account. Go make another again.
That was a quick kick to the ole crotch!  Guay played well Hutch ate Bosses Big Sack and Now there will be a new Combo in the Conway Greenbrier Quitman area Sonics! And if Guay gets a sonic they will be removed from the local area Sonics unless the demand stays high

yesteryearman

Quote from: Chicky on March 08, 2018, 04:28:05 pm
agreed

I was at the game and Guy had the two most effective players on the court (Petrocelli and Spires) and the best coach on the bench.  I don't understand why ICC slowed the game down late in first half and let Guy get back in.  Every time teams try to slow Guy down it backfires.

Pigman

:D
Quote from: D6Bound on March 04, 2018, 10:12:43 am
Wonder why he left MVE to go to Guy 🤔
:-X ???can someone answer this that really knows?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas